• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for a place to stay in Barcelona

Lisa Welsman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France 2015 considering now Camino del Norte or Portuguese 2017
Hello,
my friend and i will be embarking on Camino France in May 2017.
We will arrive in Barcelona from Australia on 1st May 2017, and spend 1 night in Barcelona before catching the train on 2nd May to Bayonne and then taxi to St Jean Pied de Port.
Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Barcelona with convenient access to the railway.
Also any recommendation for Alburge in St Jean Pied de Port

Thanks Lisa and Jenny

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lisa what a pity you are only having one night there! It is a fabulous city. When we were there for a couple of weeks we stayed in the Eixample district, which is the very elegant 20th century area influenced by the modernista movement . But as you are there for only one night after a long trip from Australia, you will be exhausted and probably only want to sleep. As you say, close to the train station is best.

There are three different stations in Barcelona from which long distance trains leave - make sure you know which it is before you look for a hotel.

I am wracking my brains trying to remember the name of the hotel I used when I was leaving Spain via Barcelona Sants and only had a night. It was very close, and fine. There is actually a hotel within the Sants station but, from memory, it was quite expensive and not where I stayed.

Lisa what a pity you are only having one night there! It is a fabulous city. When we were there for a couple of weeks we stayed in the Eixample district, which is the very elegant 20th century area influenced by the modernista movement . But as you are there for only one night after a long trip from Australia, you will be exhausted and probably only want to sleep. As you say, close to the train station is best.

There are three different stations in Barcelona from which long distance trains leave - make sure you know which it is before you look for a hotel.

I am wracking my brains trying to remember the name of the hotel I used when I was leaving Spain via Barcelona Sants and only had a night. It was very close, and fine. There is actually a hotel within the Sants station but, from memory, it was quite expensive and not where I stayed.
Hi Kanga, thanks for your advice, the station the train leaves and takes us to Bayonne is called Sants so hopefully we will find something close by.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello,
We will arrive in Barcelona from Australia on 1st May 2017, and spend 1 night in Barcelona before catching the train on 2nd May to Bayonne and then taxi to St Jean Pied de Port.
Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Barcelona with convenient access to the railway.

Thanks Lisa and Jenny
Hi, we were in Barcelona in August and stayed at Hotal Baler (www.hostalbaler.com) for a few nights. It was close to Sants, and not far from the Placa Espanya. Small rooms as typical in a Spanish Hostal, clean, good breakfast.

When I stayed in Barcelona I made the mistake of booking in a hostel. Barcelona being quite the party city, there was so sleep to be had. The hostel was well llcated, clean, safe, with 24 hour a day staff on site, but no sleeping possible.Next time I will find a small pension.

Check out Chic and Basic Barcelona. I do not know Barcelona or its train station, but I have stayed at Chic and Basic 113 Atocha, Madrid (now part of the Urban Sea hotel chain) several times and always enjoyed its simplicity, friendliness, reasonable price, and convenient location. It is worth checking out the Chic and Basic in Barcelona to see if it meets your needs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In case you decide to spend a little more time in Barcelona either going to or leaving from your Camino, I cannot say enough good things about the city. I stayed at Bany Orientals (http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com/en/the-hotel/) when I arrived (in the old city, good for sight seeing and night life there), and going home stayed at the Arye Hotel Rosellon (http://www.ayrehoteles.com/en/hotel-rosellon/)--a different sort of nightlife, all the Moderniste architecture, and views of Sagrada Familia from my room and the roof-top terrace. One thing I would do differently, is book one night at the Abbey hotel at Montserrat.

there are probably closer hotels, but from the Ayre to Sants I think would be a 15 min or so cab or metro ride

edit: http://www.beilari.info/en Beilari is where I stayed in SJPdP and loved it

Hey. I lived in Barcelona for a few months after my last Camino. I lived in district of Barcelona sants which is close to hospital de llebrogat. No matter where you stay in Barcelona you can jump on the metro to sants district. Is only a short walk to the station. You can buy a metro card from the machine for €10 and allows 10 trips on the metro no matter how far but if your only taking one trip you should be able to grab a cheaper ticket

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If your staying near the centre visit the all you can eat Chinese restaurant. It's awesome or a trip to la turantula Mexican restaurant. If by any chance your by sagrada familia. It's a bit far out but the bars around there offer tapas y cana (half pint) for €1. Can sit there all night get pissed out of your face and well fed cheaply

If your staying near the centre visit the all you can eat Chinese restaurant. It's awesome or a trip to la turantula Mexican restaurant. If by any chance your by sagrada familia. It's a bit far out but the bars around there offer tapas y cana (half pint) for €1. Can sit there all night get pissed out of your face and well fed cheaply

That is if getting drunk is a priority when visiting Barcelona.Even more when you are on a transit like the OP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry. English expression
it's ok... I walked by that Chinese place...I feel pretty confident saying you were probably very early 20's when you were eating there. Tastes and priorities change...and I saw a LOT of 20-somethings in that place, so not a bad tip for that age group spending a few weeks in Barcelona.

Hotel Transit It is on Booking.com

We stayed there twice. It's two blocks from the train station. The rooms are small and clean.

Both times, we flew in too late to get the Noon (or earlier) train to Pamplona, so we stayed there.

From the Airport got the Subway/Train.
Three one way tickets will cost the same as a T10 ride pass.
Get off at Saint Train Station.

Hotel Transit is a two block walk from the Station (even feels safe at night).
No Taxi required.

I can provide more instructions on how to find it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am leaving for Barcelona in late May , your comment about taking a taxi from Bayonne to St jean interests me . It seems a lot more streamlined a process than taking many different local trains . I am notorious for getting onto the wrong ones ; though not always my fault .
Any idea of the approximate cost of the taxi fare ?

Hotel Expo is right across the street from the Sants train station. It is also a short pleasant walk from the plaza where the Airport express bus stops. Expo is.....well it is a basic, minimal character hotel. Pleasant front desk folks, clean, economical and in the centre of a nice area with a lot of character. Subway station right there.

Barcelona is not a city to be missed and perhaps if you fly out of Barcelona on your way home you can spend a day or two.
We always use booking.com.
Find the Sants station on the map and then look for places within a kilometer or two. A little walking after the long air travel is nice. Be aware that the train from the airport to Sants is a place where many pick pockets hangout..just be aware of your surroundings.
Another option is to find a hotel that has service from the airport and book there and use that transport to get to your hotel, sleep and then start on your journey. There is also bus service available to a central location in the city that works well too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,

Thanks Lisa and Jenny

I don't know about Barcelona, but in SJPD stay at Beilari Aterpea. It was a truly magical place to begin the Camino thanks to Joseph and Elizabeth! Buen Camino!

I see many hotel suggestions near Sants station, so you are covered as far as lodging. It is easy to get there via train from the airport. If you want to sightsee or eat downtown, there is a commuter train every 15 minutes or so from Sants downtown. There is also a tourist information desk in the Sants station that can tell you how to buy tickets for the commuter train, subway system, give you a map, etc.

As others have mentioned, Barcelona is a great city to visit...Sacra Familia (the Gaudi designed church), strolling up/down la Rambla, the Picasso museum (purchase tickets in advance), and a flamenco show are what we enjoyed last spring. But you are not alone in wanting to make a beeline for SJPdP.

Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am leaving for Barcelona in late May , your comment about taking a taxi from Bayonne to St jean interests me . It seems a lot more streamlined a process than taking many different local trains . I am notorious for getting onto the wrong ones ; though not always my fault .
Hi Charles I will be arriving in Barcelona on 14 of May,catchin
Hi Charles I will be arriving in Barcelona working my way to Pamplona then to St Jean. I will be interested in sharing a taxi with you. Cheers Tony

Hi Tony , a late reply , i have been away for a few days .
I am thinking of either leaving Melb. on the 24th or St.Jp.dP on the 24th of May It might be easier to see how things pan out closer to the date .

Hi Tony , a late reply , i have been away for a few days .
I am thinking of either leaving Melb. on the 24th or St.Jp.dP on the 24th of May It might be easier to see how things pan out closer to the date .
Hi Charles thanks for replying,it's a shame that we are leaving Melbourne different times. As suggested to me keep an eye out for pilgrims when you are at Sant Railway station,hopefully you might be able to share a taxi ride. All the best Charles Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at the university residence. Ruas. 5 min from the beach, close to a lot of nice things. Cheap as chips. If you can, have a meal at Tapeo.
Alan

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back