• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any recommendations for where to stay in Hornillos and El Burgo Ranero

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Hornillos have stayed at the Meeting Point the last 2 springs. Nice communal meal and super friendly staff.
In El Burger Ranero have stayed in a private room in Hostal Restaurante el Peregrino the last 2 years. If you don't stay here, at least go for lunch or dinner there. They have really good food. My single room was 35€.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have never stayed in this albergue so I have no reference at all. I also know that experiences can be vastly different even just a few days apart and by the basis of each person's outlook and likes/dislikes. I have passed this albergue on a few occasions but as I walked in November it was always closed. Lately, according to Gronze.com the reviews have all been negative:
Have you walked during this time period and is your experience different? Before May 2022 almost all the reviews were very good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have stayed 2 times at the Pilgrim Hostel in El Burgo Ranero. It is as basic as they come but both times it was clean and the other pilgrims and I had a really nice evening sitting around and talking. The second time I came was on a Sunday (may have been a holiday of some kind also.I don't remember), and there was nothing open. It was a good thing I had brought some food with me.

Can anyone recommend places to stay in Hornillos and El Burgo Ranero? 😊
@mette,
I stayed in Hornilios del Camino at Hostel Rosalia , it was good to stay there for one night last year ( May 14th 2022) nothing special, just comfy place .
Good Luck,
Buen Camino. 🇨🇦

The municipal Albergue Dominico Laffi is a very special place with lots of showers and a better-than-usual kitchen. It is a donativo staffed by volunteer hospitaleros. I stayed there in 2010 and was a hospitalero there in 2016. It was not possible to make reservations then -- probably not now, either.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have also stayed at the Meeting Point . It is run by a young couple and I found them very welcoming. The lady helped me to book accommodation for the following night eventhough she was busy. Very nice evening meal, I made some nice friends at the communal meal.
Its in a central location with shop across the road.
I’m happy to recommend this place.

I stayed at La Laguna in El Burgo Ranero last fall. i would NOT stay there again and would not recommend it. I stayed at the Meeting Point in Hornillos a few days earlier, and like others, had a great experience, and the host was awesome. Would definitely stay there again.

I have never stayed in this albergue so I have no reference at all. I also know that experiences can be vastly different even just a few days apart and by the basis of each person's outlook and likes/dislikes. I have passed this albergue on a few occasions but as I walked in November it was always closed. Lately, according to Gronze.com the reviews have all been negative:
Have you walked during this time period and is your experience different? Before May 2022 almost all the reviews were very good.
They get no so good recommendations 🤷🏻‍♀️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have stayed at Meeting Point in Hornillos (Sept '21), and like others here, found it to be a wonderful place. The communal meal was the highlight of the stay [see photo below]. I have also stayed at La Laguna (also Sept '21), and I found it barely adequate with facilities in need of serious renovation (at least in the building I slept in). Your mileage, as they say, may vary. 🤷🏻‍♂️20210923_191432.jpg

The nice beds at the Meeting Point. Facilities were good too, upstairs. Communal dinner & breakfast are always plus points for me.
If they are doing services at the church, go. It was way nicer inside then I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_8879.jpeg
    IMG_8879.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
The recommendations after May 2022 have been really bad. They were excellent before that date. You usually never see something like this unless there was a change of ownership. I would stay away if I had a choice.
I stayed there twice, in 2022 and also this year. In 2022, I was in the dorm (€12) which was rather cramped. This year I asked for the “back room”, which has four twin beds divided by a privacy wall (2 x 2). I had the whole room to myself for €15. Much better experience. The facilities were quite nice - big kitchen area with table. Also a very nice outside garden area with chairs. I don’t remember any rudeness either time.

Attachments

• IMG_8951.jpeg
    IMG_8951.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8949.jpeg
    IMG_8949.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8961.jpeg
    IMG_8961.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8962.jpeg
    IMG_8962.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8965.jpeg
    IMG_8965.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8955.jpeg
    IMG_8955.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8956.jpeg
    IMG_8956.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8957.jpeg
    IMG_8957.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
I stayed there twice, in 2022 and also this year. In 2022, I was in the dorm (€12) which was rather cramped. This year I asked for the “back room”, which has four twin beds divided by a privacy wall (2 x 2). I had the whole room to myself for €15. Much better experience. The facilities were quite nice - big kitchen area with table. Also a very nice outside garden area with chairs. I don’t remember any rudeness either time.
You should put your positive review in Gronze.com. It may be very helpful for pilgrims who follow.

The "back room", and especially the shower and toilets, look a whole lot better than the dorm room across the garden at La Laguna. I'd be sure to add that to any comment on Gronze. Cheers for the update.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Do you want a pilgrim experience? Stay at the municipal in Hornillos, and the parochial in El Burgo Ranero. Both have a long history of hosting pilgrims. There are lots of other options available for those who want something less earthy.
Does anyone recall the name of the muni in Hornillos?

Do you want a pilgrim experience? Stay at the municipal in Hornillos, and the parochial in El Burgo Ranero. Both have a long history of hosting pilgrims. There are lots of other options available for those who want something less earthy.
The municipal in Hornillos: It is nice, but in case of fire, it can be a trap (crowded, tight). I stay in Meeting Point in Hornillos: Nice, with a decent communal meal.The parochial in El Burgo Ranero is really nice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh “fff” since when did this forum become a subset of Tripeadvertiser? The best place a pilgrim can find to stay in “anywhere” is the place that has a bed. We all hope for a friendly welcome, food and even a warm shower but a mattress and a sound roof ought to do it.
If the subtleties of plumbing, cocina and electrical outlets and decor are really that important to you then perhaps you should really walk a Camino… Ah…

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ferrets may like to sniff out an Incredible String Band album Liquid Acrobat as Regards the Air. Track 11 part 4 may or may not sound like a camino veteran in their cups. I could not possibly comment.

Those sweet and innocent souls who have never encountered the band are urged to ignore this post and any references. Those for whom Liquorice has a special meaning: too late comes a warning

P
Ferrets may like to sniff out an Incredible String Band album Liquid Acrobat as Regards the Air. Track 11 part 4 may or may not sound like a camino veteran in their cups. I could not possibly comment.

Those sweet and innocent souls who have never encountered the band are urged to ignore this post and any references. Those for whom Liquorice has a special meaning: too late comes a warning
Well, it is Friday. Isn’t it? Anyway - ‘best albergues’ - pathetic. Warn of the unclean by all means, otherwise leave well alone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's been quite a while since we stayed in El Burgo Ranero (2014) but at that time there were I think 4 albergues in the town. We ambled in about 1530 (3:30 PM) and they were all full. We got a room above one of the bars, and it's one of the special memories, waking up every hour during the howling thunderstorm that broke around bedtime, hearing the patio furniture outside being moved by the wind, and eventually around 3 am the storm ended. The TV had an infomercial about the spin mops, I remember, and we ate at a different bar because the one downstairs was all full of the local folks with their card games.
That was the first time we stayed in a pension-type room.
If we had walked into town around 2:30 in the afternoon there would probably have been a couple of available beds in an albergue. (We started out at a good time, it just worked out that we arrived later.)
It just goes to show, we need to be flexible while walking the path to Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They had services in the church in Hornillos last year that were lovely. Bit of a surprise how ornate it was inside.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back