• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for where to stay

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
I'm looking favourably at walking the CP from Oporto in the early summer of 2019. I've walked the Coastal before but am thinking of turning off at Caminha this time and going inland to pick up with the route I know again at Redondela.

I'm guessing the logical stops are Caminha - Reboreda - Valenca/Tui - O'Porrino - Redondela?

Does anybody have any recommendations for pensions or hostals in these towns from recent stays? I've looked at the archives and some of the postings are 6 - 7 years old and that's a long time in the hospitality business!

I'm not looking to stay in albergues because I'm anti-social/can't take other people's snoring/like an uninterrupted route to the bathroom at night (you chose).

Finally, which (if any) guides would you recommend. I see there's quite a selection from Johnnie Walker on his own let alone other authors.

Thanks in anticipation!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I'm looking favourably at walking the CP from Oporto in the early summer of 2019. I've walked the Coastal before but am thinking of turning off at Caminha this time and going inland to pick up with the route I know again at Redondela.

I'm guessing the logical stops are Caminha - Reboreda - Valenca/Tui - O'Porrino - Redondela?

Does anybody have any recommendations for pensions or hostals in these towns from recent stays? I've looked at the archives and some of the postings are 6 - 7 years old and that's a long time in the hospitality business!

I'm not looking to stay in albergues because I'm anti-social/can't take other people's snoring/like an uninterrupted route to the bathroom at night (you chose).

Finally, which (if any) guides would you recommend. I see there's quite a selection from Johnnie Walker on his own let alone other authors.

Thanks in anticipation!
I just returned from doing the Camino Portuguese. We found a wonderful albergue / pension in Tui called Ideas Peregrinas. There are dorm rooms as well as single / twin rooms available. It had a great lounge area, kitchen, laundry facilities, cafe downstairs with a store ... The sisters who were operating it were wonderful. We felt that it was one of our best accomodations on the Camino, and we really enjoyed Tui.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just returned from doing the Camino Portuguese. We found a wonderful albergue / pension in Tui called Ideas Peregrinas. There are dorm rooms as well as single / twin rooms available. It had a great lounge area, kitchen, laundry facilities, cafe downstairs with a store ... The sisters who were operating it were wonderful. We felt that it was one of our best accomodations on the Camino, and we really enjoyed Tui.
Thanks for the swift response.

Residential Portas do Sol is a wonderful place to stay. It is in the Fortaleza of Valencia so you get to stroll around the old place when all the visitors have left, then walk over the river to Spain as the sun rises. When I stayed with a fellow pilgrim we thought it was sheer luxury - cue Monty Python sketch - immaculaoclean & very reasonable in price

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Residential Portas do Sol is a wonderful place to stay. It is in the Fortaleza of Valencia so you get to stroll around the old place when all the visitors have left, then walk over the river to Spain as the sun rises. When I stayed with a fellow pilgrim we thought it was sheer luxury - cue Monty Python sketch - immaculaoclean & very reasonable in price
Sounds good - thank you kindly!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This place was our favorite for the whole Camino. The whole set-up is made for pilgrims and the super friendly host adds his special touch. There are private rooms as well as dorms. It is near Redondela.
http://orecunchodoperegrino.com/
My sis and I stayed with Miguel last June 2017. His place is wonderful, clean and one can stay in a private room with twin beds as we did. We had to walk down the hall to the toilet but no big deal. I highly recommend O Recuncho do Peregrino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back