A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Recommendations for where to stay

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
I'm looking favourably at walking the CP from Oporto in the early summer of 2019. I've walked the Coastal before but am thinking of turning off at Caminha this time and going inland to pick up with the route I know again at Redondela.

I'm guessing the logical stops are Caminha - Reboreda - Valenca/Tui - O'Porrino - Redondela?

Does anybody have any recommendations for pensions or hostals in these towns from recent stays? I've looked at the archives and some of the postings are 6 - 7 years old and that's a long time in the hospitality business!

I'm not looking to stay in albergues because I'm anti-social/can't take other people's snoring/like an uninterrupted route to the bathroom at night (you chose).

Finally, which (if any) guides would you recommend. I see there's quite a selection from Johnnie Walker on his own let alone other authors.

Thanks in anticipation!

Jodean

Camino(s) past & future
22 Sept. to 21 Oct. 2015, Pamplona to Santiago
6-23.04 Porto to Santiago 2018
17.09-30.09 CF 2018
This place was our favorite for the whole Camino. The whole set-up is made for pilgrims and the super friendly host adds his special touch. There are private rooms as well as dorms. It is near Redondela.
http://orecunchodoperegrino.com/

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014), Camino Inca (2015), Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre (2018)
I'm looking favourably at walking the CP from Oporto in the early summer of 2019. I've walked the Coastal before but am thinking of turning off at Caminha this time and going inland to pick up with the route I know again at Redondela.

I'm guessing the logical stops are Caminha - Reboreda - Valenca/Tui - O'Porrino - Redondela?

Does anybody have any recommendations for pensions or hostals in these towns from recent stays? I've looked at the archives and some of the postings are 6 - 7 years old and that's a long time in the hospitality business!

I'm not looking to stay in albergues because I'm anti-social/can't take other people's snoring/like an uninterrupted route to the bathroom at night (you chose).

Finally, which (if any) guides would you recommend. I see there's quite a selection from Johnnie Walker on his own let alone other authors.

Thanks in anticipation!
I just returned from doing the Camino Portuguese. We found a wonderful albergue / pension in Tui called Ideas Peregrinas. There are dorm rooms as well as single / twin rooms available. It had a great lounge area, kitchen, laundry facilities, cafe downstairs with a store ... The sisters who were operating it were wonderful. We felt that it was one of our best accomodations on the Camino, and we really enjoyed Tui.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
I just returned from doing the Camino Portuguese. We found a wonderful albergue / pension in Tui called Ideas Peregrinas. There are dorm rooms as well as single / twin rooms available. It had a great lounge area, kitchen, laundry facilities, cafe downstairs with a store ... The sisters who were operating it were wonderful. We felt that it was one of our best accomodations on the Camino, and we really enjoyed Tui.
Thanks for the swift response.

Camino(s) past & future
April (2015) SJPdP to SdC; Porto to SdC April (2016)
Residential Portas do Sol is a wonderful place to stay. It is in the Fortaleza of Valencia so you get to stroll around the old place when all the visitors have left, then walk over the river to Spain as the sun rises. When I stayed with a fellow pilgrim we thought it was sheer luxury - cue Monty Python sketch - immaculaoclean & very reasonable in price

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SdC May 2019
Residential Portas do Sol is a wonderful place to stay. It is in the Fortaleza of Valencia so you get to stroll around the old place when all the visitors have left, then walk over the river to Spain as the sun rises. When I stayed with a fellow pilgrim we thought it was sheer luxury - cue Monty Python sketch - immaculaoclean & very reasonable in price
Sounds good - thank you kindly!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
Ok. Sorry. I found his guides and personal replies to be A1 when I walked the Portuguese some years ago. he was ultra helpful.

Camino(s) past & future
May 2013 Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela.
Camino Portuguese Porto to SdeC May 31 2017.
This place was our favorite for the whole Camino. The whole set-up is made for pilgrims and the super friendly host adds his special touch. There are private rooms as well as dorms. It is near Redondela.
http://orecunchodoperegrino.com/
My sis and I stayed with Miguel last June 2017. His place is wonderful, clean and one can stay in a private room with twin beds as we did. We had to walk down the hall to the toilet but no big deal. I highly recommend O Recuncho do Peregrino.

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 187 24.6%