• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reflecting on my camino

stevie.

just finished my camino .it was very thought provoking, i found the walking beautiful and it was great to get away from the stresses of life for two weeks ,lovely views nice fresh air...but the camino makes you think prehaps to much.! i missed my kids more than i thought maybe that was my journey or camino? met a lot of great people one or two who were a little eccentric as well ha ha.....when you go on the camino one of the most interesting things is that you get to meet yourself . i found that there were aspects of myself i did not like . which frustrated me because i thought when i was on the camino i would be filled with christs presence mmm. some of my thoughts at times were selfish ,so my advice when walking alone is to be prepared to meet yourself ,that maybe a great or not so great experience ,i think it depends where you start ..anyway from stevie in scotland buen camino

p.s i am doing the last part next year with my 15 year old son which will be fun.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Congratulations, Stevie,
Your comments are not unusual - at least not to me. The Camino is truly a wonderful and sometimes surprising experience! Glad you're home safe and sound.
Buen Camino,

Hi Stevie
Thank you for sharing your reflections about your camino. I am about to walk the camino for my first time in September.
I have heard from many to expect just about anything and especially learning a lot about yourself, seeing some of our not so good qualities, habits, etc.
I am looking forward to this wonderful and challenging experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
rita a book i found very interesting was ,walk in a relaxed manner by joyce rupp ..it was an honest portrayal of her time on the camino ... it helped because it made me more prepared for the more human side of the camino ..for example if the refuge is full and you have to stay in a pensione well ...my room was like a 1950,s noire film with the wallpaper peeling get the idea! another time the refuge was full and we had to sleep in a kind of cell ... but i was lucky i met this couple from columbia and we had a great laugh about it, i am quite religious but when i had the big german guy snoring his head off ,and you have the the pillow over your ears and earplugs in tests you and your attitude and the holy feeings you think you will have.. dont want to sound negative because it is a great experience ..and when you think what the pilgrims had to put up with centuries ago with bandits ,poor sanitation ,food more scarce you get an idea of their faith and fortitude, and how different it is now ,these are only my reflections remember you might find it nothing like that !!!

Hi Stevie
With only 2 weeks time...where did you start and end your camino? My husband "may" join me, but can only be away for 2 weeks.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and also for the good book recommendation. I will look for it at my library and if I can't find it there, I may just order it, as I have heard from others that it is a good book.

rita i started in pamplona and finished in burgos it would be good if your husband joined you ,i found i liked to walk alone but if you finished walking say one o clock , its good to have a (blether scottish word for chat ) with someone in the evening ,also i thought i was a bit of a loner before i went, but i was glad of some conversaton at night because to my surprise there were,nt to many english speakers on route. i ,m used to my glass of wine at night to relax but its better if your with a friend or partner , that why next year i'm hoping my mate and son will come along, but i,v only learned that through my own camino experience , and would not have known that before i went .that book is very good because the person that wrote it was very honest and down to earth about her time and she was a nun good luck if you want anymore advice just ask

ta buen camino stevie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
thanks Deidre glad i,m back i remember you saying you worked in a jesuit school , our parish has enrolled myself and a few others in a part degree course , the Loyola institute based in new orleans, they run the course should be interesting but i must learn to type AND WALK IN A RELAXED MANNER ha ha . anyway A M.D.G

STEVEN.

stevie. said:
rita a book i found very interesting was ,walk in a relaxed manner by joyce rupp ..

Hi Stevie
I just received my copy of Walk in a Relaxed Manner from Amazon yesterday. I can't put it down. You are so right it is a great book.
Thanks for the recommendation!!!

Rita,I am pleased that your enjoying the book ,it kind off prepares the mind for the camino.I have just bought a book called the Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho ,funny thing is , the author was recommended to me by someone i meet on the camino, the camino changed his life quote "he is tranformed forever as he learns to understand the nature of truth through the simplicity of life" so you never know , good luck buen camino

Stevie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Stevie
I read the Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho a few years ago. Although I have heard negative comments about it in this forum, I really enjoyed it.
I love all his books. The Alchemist is also a good one by him.

I am enjoying preparing for my upcoming trip and appreciate tips like yours for inspirational reading about the camino.
I think there is a thread somewhere in this forum about favorite camino books. I'll have to look.

Rita what did you like about it ? i bought three of his books when i got back the witch of portobello which was diffirent to my usual fair .i really liked it now i am going to read pilgrimage ,then the alchemist ..my niece said its great ! anyway ,enjoy your camino and my advice is to have a sense of humour about it .Before i went , ithought i would be a kind of apostle mmm ,like a fountain of knowlege on a quest ect,, (mad really)the reality is though it is a very human, down to earth experience ( for me,it was like that , but everybodys journey is diferent .

p.s i am really looking forward to finishing the camino next year

stevie

stevie. said:
Rita what did you like about it

p.s i am really looking forward to finishing the camino next year

stevie

Hi Stevie I can't say exactly what it is about Coelho's books that grab me. But I have enjoyed them all. I liked the Witch of Potabello too.
I like his voice and all of his books a have a spiritual undertone that you have to keep an open mind to appreciate.

I hope you enjoy your pilgrimage with your son. It will be crowded next year as it is a holy year.
My husband has decided to join me on the first half this year and I had thought maybe I would just do half with him then return next year, but I have decided to do the whole camino this year. I may never go back if I stop in the middle (you know....life happens, circumstances change) AND the crowds may be too much for my liking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rita you have a great time on the camino , i will enjoy reading about your experiences if you post them here . if you need any advice it would be no problem take care

stevie

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back