• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Repairing / renewing the Altus Raincoat

MichaelSG

Retired member
Time of past OR future Camino
Not enough
I loved my old Altus Atmospheric Light raincoat. It has been well used during four long caminos and numerous shorter walks but, like everything else man-made trying to survive in Singapore’s climate, I never expected it to last long. On its 4th birthday last month, I took it out and found that most of the seam sealing tape has pealed off. I tested it in the shower and it leaked badly, not just from the seams, but also straight through the material. I understand that the model I currently have is no longer for sale and I don’t trust the reviews of the few other alternatives so, what can I do?

I answered that last question myself. After a lousy attempt at replacing the seam sealing tape myself, I hit on a formula that worked perfectly. If you love your Altus as much I love mine, and you need to repair it someday, feel free to benefit from my mistakes, trials, errors and research.

Forget about using waterproofing sealing tape unless you have access to a proper machine to apply it with. A tiny craft iron may be usable but it is too easy to melt the raincoat material itself. The Sundely tape that I bought and tried cost US$20 and if anyone wants the 99% that I still have left, I’ll sell it for $1.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Gear Aid SilNet Silicone Seam Sealer ($8). A single 1.5oz tube will do. Also buy some spare small cheap paint brushes (the kind you get with a child’s paint by numbers kit). I bought a pack of 6 in the Singapore equivalent of the dollar store. Also buy Kiwi brand Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent. One 12oz is plenty ($12). The repairs take time to be done right. Don’t try to do this while your partner is packing the bags and calling the taxi for the ride to the airport. Count on at least a total of two hours of work and a minimum of four days of waiting for stuff to dry!

Sealing the seams
Basically, follow the directions on the tube but keep in mind the following. Remove any loose tape or tape that looks like it could come off soon. I didn’t try to remove any that still looked solidly attached and I thought it would be a bad idea to try to use the sealant to re-stick old tape that was partially loose. I stretched the Altus over an ironing board, using binder clips to hold it flat and taut. I could only work on part of the coat at one time but if you have a bigger work area, you could save some time. I cleaned the seam with a little wipe of isopropyl alcohol before starting. The seam sealant is quite thick but is easily painted on the seams on the inside of the coat. I covered the seams and a little on either side with a thin, fairly flat coat of the sealant. The width of the painted on sealant was about 1cm. Don’t worry about it not looking pretty, it’s on the inside of the coat. After 4-6 hours of making sure the sealant was completely dry, I repositioned the Altus on the board and worked on another section. It took about five re-positionings to finish the seals on the whole coat. The paint brush is impossible to clean between uses but can be re-used a couple of times anyway. The dried sealant is still a bit tacky but it is not wet. The instructions say that you can dust talcum powder on it to get rid of the tack but it doesn’t bother me as is.

Water Repellant
After all the seams were sealed and dry or confirmed secure with tape, I draped the Altus over a step ladder. I used sticks and old rags to shape up the raincoat with outstretched arms so that I could see and spray every square inch of the outside with no wrinkles or hard-to-reach places. The spraying needs to be done outside in a place where it is not so windy and the overspray won’t land in a place where you don’t want silicone. Two light, but complete, coats over the entire outside of the coat, applied 4 hours apart, was all it took. After leaving the coat on the ladder overnight, I hung it in on an ordinary hanger in an airy place out of the sun for the balance of 48 hours. The coat will smell bad for a while but 48 hours later, I cannot smell or see any residue. Testing the Altus in the shower again, it was 100% waterproof in both the seams and the material. Happy days.

The materials I mentioned above was enough to replace 90% of the lost tape on my XL Altus and 50% of my wife’s S size Altus with a bit of each left over. I’m very happy that I haven’t replaced them. In April they will protect us from the weather on the Via Domitia between Vercelli and Arles.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been a fan of Scotchgard spray for waterproofing since the early 1970s'. So when I decided this last trip to wear my oldest Macabi hiking skirt (these come with a DWR finish) I gave it two treatments just like your Altus. Then tested it 2 days later with a high pressure hose. I was confused on my trip that I was getting occasional water break through in rain storms. Only when I got home did I figure out I'd grabbed my newer charcoal Macabi skirt to wear. My old one was still hanging on the hanger at home freshly waterproofed...

Hooray! If you want help from a lucky fool, I'm your guy!
As far as general waterproofing goes that is.
I'd heard that as the waterproofing is effected by a liquid coating, then a roly poly in a slightly warm clothes dryer for 15 mins would soften the coating causing it to spread across the fabric again and renew the waterproofing effect.
I forgot both the temperature and timing advice and my Altus got an hour on full blast heating.
Worked like a charm!
But I will take more care next time.
Regards and stay dry!
Gerard
EDIT: I added the bold format.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hooray! If you want help from a lucky fool, I'm your guy!
As far as general waterproofing goes that is.
I'd heard that as the waterproofing is effected by a liquid coating, then a roly poly in a slightly warm clothes dryer for 15 mins would soften the coating causing it to spread across the fabric again and renew the waterproofing effect.
I forgot both the temperature and timing advice and my Altus got an hour on full blast heating.
Worked like a charm!
But I will take more care next time.
Regards and stay dry!
Gerard

Well, I did THAT and it melted the seam sealer.
Now half the seam seal is hanging off :(
So I'll use the seam sealer as described.

Plus, one of the snaps fell off.

Any idea where to get those little black plastic snaps?

Well, I did THAT and it melted the seam sealer.Now half the seam seal is hanging off :(So I'll use the seam sealer as described.
Plus, one of the snaps fell off.
Any idea where to get those little black plastic snaps?
Sorry about delay in reply. Couldn't remember who asked and where to find post.
Anyway can't be of any help as my Altus came out fine so no repairs were needed.
I have a local seamstress who does all my sewing alterations and gear repairs for me cause I'm hopeless. She suggests you ask a local one for advice if that is possible.
Regards
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.