• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rescue of peregrina lost in fog on the Route Napoleon

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Local news websites are reporting that the Burguete bomberos were called out yesterday to locate a peregrina disorientated by fog on the Route Napoleon. Fortunately she was found exhausted but otherwise in good health and she was taken to the albergue in Roncesvalles. A useful reminder that adverse weather conditions can cause problems even in mid-summer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Scary. I walk in 10 days and I can get disoriented in a shopping center. I have been caught out in whiteouts skiing, and walking. It's surprisingly difficult to gauge anything useful even the slope. I think the standard advice if you are lost is to stay out of retrace your steeps, rather than blundering on ??

Scary - I don't know ...

We don't know where the pilgrim got lost; why she was too tired and too disoriented to continue and presumably called 112; iow, we can learn little from this. The Bomberos came and transported her to Roncesvalles - kudos for their infatiguable work.

Pilgrims are often told that anyone can do the Route Napoleon. Just follow the yellow arrows. Look out of the window in the morning to check on the weather. And so on ... all kinds of people, some with hiking experience (or skiing experience) in the mountains and some who have never done "anything like this before". And of course it has to be the Route Napoleon on their first day.

There is an excellent free map of the area designed by the Spanish Geographical Institute. It is not widely promoted or known. There is an elaborate hand-drawn map with many photos and instructions for following either of the two trails from SJPP to Roncesvalles but it is not made available online or reprinted in guide books. One must go to the camino association in SJPP to pick it up in person.

There are two hundred wooden poles, numbered, along the top part of the Route Napoleon to mark the trail so that people do not get lost. Do they pay attention to it?

There are signposts just below the Lepoeder pass to indicate the direction of the two trails that one can take from there to Roncesvalles: One via the Ibañeta chapel and the other one via the forest with the latter being the Don Simon trail. It appears that the pilgrim was found in the vicinity of the Don Simon trail. Pilgrims who visit the office of the Camino association in SJPP are strongly advised not to take this trail through the forest.

There are map apps for your mobile phone that tell you where you are in a fraction of a second. Provided that you had acquainted yourself with such an app beforehand.

The Route Napoleon follows broad roads and wide trails.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We don't know where the pilgrim got lost; why she was too tired and too disoriented to continue
Similar situations sometimes happen on the Primitivo along the Hospitales route, too. A man we'd met a few times arrived one day later after our glorious day going up and over. He told us he walked it in total fog and eventually lost sight of the standing wooden markers and became quite disoriented and fearful. I was surprised as our day had perfect weather. I have read a few times of others who nearly fell off the side of the mountain near the Alto de La Morta (1146m).

Here is what Dave Whitson says in his "The Northern Caminos" guidebook...
"Be warned that fog settles quickly in this area overnight and can restrict visibility in the morning. Although waymarking is excellent on the Hospitales route, pilgrims are strongly advised to walk through Pola if the weather is bad."
(Edited for a correction.)

Last edited:
It is incredible how the weather can change on the Camino. While I've had 31 days of heat now (my hottest Summer Camino to date by far) and no rain while walking, with just a very small storm in the night a few weeks ago in Belorado, when walking day 1 to Orrisson, it really was a reminder as to how weather on the high fells can change so quickly. Hot weather in the morning and then the sudden 'cute' mist rolling in before the constant rain and sudden cold. From a scorching 37 degrees in SJPdP on Bastille Day to lower than 10 degrees in Orrisson the next day with pilgrims struggling in and so happy to be able to get a bed (low season - beds were available on the day) despite planning for Roncesvalles, yes even in Summer it can be absolutely ferocious up there so always need to pay full attention to the weather and abide by what the pilgrim office advises.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Local news websites are reporting that the Burguete bomberos were called out yesterday to locate a peregrina disorientated by fog on the Route Napoleon. Fortunately she was found exhausted but otherwise in good health and she was taken to the albergue in Roncesvalles. A useful reminder that adverse weather conditions can cause problems even in mid-summer.

Funny - NOT! In the film The Way, this is exactly - how Tom's son Daniel managed to lose his way and walk off the mountain - in the fog - and died in the fall. This occurred on his first day out of SJPdP. That is how the film starts.

Just sayin.

Tom

Thank the universe. Rest up dear fellow peregrina.

This brings up a good question though.
I was walking the beach in RI yesterday when a thick fog rolled in unexpectedly. Soon we wer caled out of the water and then a storm came on. None of this was predicted in the forecast.

I was thinking as I walked, what would I do on the Camino in a thick fog. Pretty easy to navingate on the shore line with the dunes on the other side and bright beachy colors in between....

Any suggestions?

One year, Joe and I walked together with our group, composed of two married couples and some singles.
I looked at the weather the morning in SJPP we were supposed to walk.
It said snow.
I made the decision we would NOT walk but would taxi to Roncesvalles.
The rest wanted to walk and walk they did! Joe agreed to accompany them.
And what a walk it was! They had fog, rain, sleet, hail, SNOW, and over 75 kph gales!
One gal lost her glasses and had to walk blind
the rest of the Camino as it was impossible to get a prescription for glasses filled without waiting.
We four were safe and snug in front of a fire at La Posada,
watching as frozen wet pilgrims slogged in.
There we met two pilgrims from Las Vegas, Ralph and Toni Marie. They made the nearly fatal mistake of leaving Orisson the day before at 4 pm. Much too late!
By 9:30 it was getting dark.
Toni used her iPhone for light, but after half an hour the batteries were gone.
It was so dark they couldn't see their hands in front of their faces.
It was snowing and hailing and the wind was howling.
They were shivering, wet, and cold.
They huddled together under their small fleece blankets next to a bush and said the rosary to stay awake.
Tonie, a nurse, knew that falling asleep could mean they would die.
Seven long hours later, at dawn, they limped down into Roncesvalles, leaving their gear behind.
They actually had a room booked at La Posada and the staff had left out a bocadillo for them.
Here they are, next day, with a story to tell their grandchildren about how they almost died on the Pyrenees!
Our pilgrims came in late with their own stories.
After a nice trout dinner we all slept soundly.
Roncesvalles albergue was quieter than I've ever seen it.
Moral #1: If the sky looks threatening, do not attempt to cross from Orisson to Roncesvalles. The views are not worth your life!
Moral #2: Do not leave too late. Better to arrive early than not at all!

Attachments

• Tony.jpeg
    Tony.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 40
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One year, Joe and I walked together with our group, composed of two married couples and some singles.
I looked at the weather the morning in SJPP we were supposed to walk.
It said snow.
I made the decision we would NOT walk but would taxi to Roncesvalles.
The rest wanted to walk and walk they did! Joe agreed to accompany them.
And what a walk it was! They had fog, rain, sleet, hail, SNOW, and over 75 kph gales!
One gal lost her glasses and had to walk blind
the rest of the Camino as it was impossible to get a prescription for glasses filled without waiting.
We four were safe and snug in front of a fire at La Posada,
watching as frozen wet pilgrims slogged in.
There we met two pilgrims from Las Vegas, Ralph and Toni Marie. They made the nearly fatal mistake of leaving Orisson the day before at 4 pm. Much too late!
By 9:30 it was getting dark.
Toni used her iPhone for light, but after half an hour the batteries were gone.
It was so dark they couldn't see their hands in front of their faces.
It was snowing and hailing and the wind was howling.
They were shivering, wet, and cold.
They huddled together under their small fleece blankets next to a bush and said the rosary to stay awake.
Tonie, a nurse, knew that falling asleep could mean they would die.
Seven long hours later, at dawn, they limped down into Roncesvalles, leaving their gear behind.
They actually had a room booked at La Posada and the staff had left out a bocadillo for them.
Here they are, next day, with a story to tell their grandchildren about how they almost died on the Pyrenees!
Our pilgrims came in late with their own stories.
After a nice trout dinner we all slept soundly.
Roncesvalles albergue was quieter than I've ever seen it.
Moral #1: If the sky looks threatening, do not attempt to cross from Orisson to Roncesvalles. The views are not worth your life!
Moral #2: Do not leave too late. Better to arrive early than not at all!
Good story. I'll heed the lesson. Thanks.

I'll emphasise again that we have no clear idea why the Bomberos had to go and pick up this pilgrim.

There is an interesting article from 2017 in a regional newspaper when the signage along the Route Napoleon was significantly improved:

WHY DO THEY GET LOST? [...] there are other circumstances that in recent years have led to people getting lost. On the one hand, tourist guides advertise the Camino de Santiago as a mystical experience, and photographs show smiling people, with lightweight clothing and on sunny days. "They don't warn you that you have to be physically fit and have a minimum sense of orientation in the mountains. Of course, such warnings would cause tourism to suffer and that is of no interest", says the member of the local firebrigade and rescue team. In the guidebooks, moreover, the Route Napoleon is given first place and, although there is another route that passes through Valcarlos, pilgrims choose the Route Napoleon because they believe it is more authentic, without realising that this 25 km route, which reaches an altitude of 1,430 m and therefore does not have good mobile phone cover, requires good physical preparation.​

On this high part of the Camino, fog is frequent at any time of the year, snowfall is often unexpected and, with the road completely covered in snow, it is easy to stray from the path.Thus, it is not uncommon to get lost at points such as the Croix Thibault, the Arranosin stream or the Txirriski trail, where it has been necessary to intervene on several occasions in the past. "A pilgrim who has come from the other side of the world is not going to be happy with an alternative route if they have been sold the idea that the Route Napoleon is the real thing," the firefighter says. "What's more, with the rise of social networks, walkers share this adventure as a once-in-a-lifetime heroic deed. In some rescue operations we have seen that pilgrims are more concerned about taking a photo and sharing it on Facebook than in their own health," he adds.​
And isn't it true that it is so often presented as a heroic deed? "We had no idea. It was terrible, with gales and hail and thunder and lightning but we would not have wanted to miss it for the world". Or: "They started from Orisson at 4 pm but now they have a story to tell to their grandchildren."

All preventable when you are reasonably fit, properly clothed and equipped, and have informed yourself appropriately beforehand.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When the fog rolls in thick, it is almost impossible to get one’s bearings. We were walking very early in the morning one hot September morning our way to Burgos from Ages, when the fog rolled in. We were on a path and climbing when suddenly we could not see 6 feet in front of us. Approaching a crossroad of some kind…somewhere in the area of alto de Atapuerca ( I Think). we had a hard time finding any markers! It took us at least 20 minutes, with powerful lumen headlights to find the marker, which turned out to be stones on the ground making a giant arrow! Naturally, we kept looking for the markers on the sides of the road. I was adament about not moving until we were sure of our way.

Last edited:
Similar situations sometimes happen on the Primitivo along the Hospitales route, too. A man we'd met a few times arrived one day later after our glorious day going up and over. He told us he walked it in total fog and eventually lost sight of the standing wooden markers and became quite disoriented and fearful. I was surprised as our day had perfect weather. I have read a few times of others who nearly fell off the side of the mountain near the Alto de La Morta (1146m).

Here is what John Brierley's guidebook says...
"Be warned that fog settles quickly in this area overnight and can restrict visibility in the morning. Although waymarking is excellent on the Hospitales route, pilgrims are strongly advised to walk through Pola if the weather is bad."
Off topic ...I have been looking for a Brierley guide to the Primitivo, but have never seen one. How old is yours?

Off topic ...I have been looking for a Brierley guide to the Primitivo, but have never seen one. How old is yours?
My guidebook for the Primitivo was "The Northern Caminos" by Dave Whitson, and he is the one I quoted in my post #4....so sorry, I got my books mixed up. I will correct my other post; I appreciate that you asked!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was thinking as I walked, what would I do on the Camino in a thick fog. ...

Any suggestions?
If you aren’t positive about the path, sit down and get comfortable. Waiting it out is safer than falling off a steep drop.

Having a good map on your smartphone with the camino tracks would be wise to have in foggy conditions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Adverse weather conditions can often be very scary - the trick is to remain calm, panic is never good. I'm a very experienced hiker and mountaineer. Just follow guidelines and if you're nervous about getting lost - go with other pilgrims you see, or use gps.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
On the Camino Frances if there's visibility issues and if you wait on the path you can be fairly sure other, possibly more experienced walkers will come by, unless you are walking very late in the day. This will help. I have done a few caminos and other long distance walks, I would not set out on the Napoleon route by myself late in the day, what if you twist your ankle or stumble and there's no one to help you? We saw people walking past orisson at like 5pm last time.
Also I have never seen the point of stumbling down the steep way through the trees to Roncesvalles. I take the pleasant easy stroll along the road.

Yes, and when I described a whiteout in a past discussion, the sarcastic comments were unpleasant and it was closed down. Now maybe I will be believed when I reiterate that whiteouts are at any time of the year and best to stay put as it usually only lasts a short time. Anyone doing the Napoleon leg of the French Way should have food and drink and something to shelter under such as a poncho. You just have to wait it out as you can’t see! As I’m a skier I know about these things and many people are not aware about mountain conditions. I hope she’s recovered well and continues her Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
as I walked, what would I do on the Camino in a thick fog. Pretty easy to navingate on the shore line with the dunes on the other side and bright beachy colors in between.... Any suggestions?
Numerous people on the way to Santiago do loose their way for a few minutes or even half an hour every day, fog or no fog. It happened to me. It happens when you don't pay attention because you are chatting with a companion, because you are in your thoughts, perhaps because you get distracted by what you are listening to on your earbuds. They soon notice their mistake and turn around and go back to the point where they know they were on the right way.

So turning around and going back is the first suggestion. It's already been made. Seems particularly difficult to do for some when they are in an unpopulated area and know that they have booked a bed in Roncesvalles and have already "come all this way" when they have finally reached high altitude 🥴. Wrong. You can turn back at any time.

The idea of not needing visual aids such as the map overviews in guidebooks or the apps on a mobile phone and "just follow the yellow arrows" has been elevated to cult status. We see questions on the forum as to whether one "needs" a map. Ok, fine. I myself would get incredibly irritated if I had nothing but yellow arrows, or scallop shell motifs, or the red and white GR markers to go by, without a visual image as well as a mental image of the path ahead and what's right and left.

The Route Napoleon path from SJPP to Roncesvalles is incredibly well signposted; the 'shortcut' through the forest at the very end less well so; when I walked several years ago there were only a few signs - red and white - on an occasional tree in this huge beech forest, this may or may not have changed since then. Anyway, the staff and volunteers of the Pilgrim Welcome Office in SJPP do not recommend it for new Camino pilgrims, and I have come to the conclusion that they are right to do so. Take the tarmac road again and not the dirt trail.

The RN has a length of about 25 km and 20 km are on tarmac road. Even in the densest fog, one can presumably see whether one's feet are on tarmac or not. Or at least feel it.

On the highest section, the RN consists of about 6 km on a broad well-trodden trail where occasionally another trail branches off to the right or left. But: over a length of 5 km, there are tall wooden poles, numbered from 1 to 200 (or 175 I am not sure) at rather short intervals to make sure that people stay on the trail. Earlier, where the RN leaves the road, there is a large pile of stones with a huge sign saying "Roncesvalles". Towards the end of the dirt track, there is a modern shelter. At the very end of the dirt track there are again signposts that point you to the right direction to take on the tarmac road. There is the hand-out from the Pilgrims Welcome Office with explanations and photos that tries to prevent every possible mistake that a walking human could make.

There are pretty reliable weather forecast apps and they are pretty accurate but you need to look at the details and understand what they mean.

It's not scary.

Buen Camino! 🙂

Last edited:
Furthermore: Have a look at this blog (link below). It details all the signposting. And it has photos, from the same day on the Route Napoleon, that illustrate pretty impressively how sunshine and dense fog can alternate on the same day and within a few kilometres or within a few hours.

Quote: As the fog was so bad, we were being guided by every arrow and signpost that we could find. Our main mission was to find the next arrow or a landmark to help fix our location on the map.
(That was at 1275 m altitude, so pretty much at the top.)

https://www.ourlittlehiker.com/walk...o-saint-jean-de-pied-de-port-to-roncesvalles/

Last edited:
When the fog rolls in thick, it is almost impossible to get one’s bearings. We were walking very early in the morning one hot September morning our way to Burgos from Ages, when the fog rolled in. We were on a path and climbing when suddenly we could not see 6 feet in front of us. Approaching a crossroad of some kind…somewhere in the area of alto de Atapuerca ( I Think). we had a hard time finding any markers! It took us at least 20 minutes, with powerful lumen headlights to find the marker, which turned out to be stones on the ground making a giant arrow! Naturally, we kept looking for the markers on the sides of the road. I was adament about not moving until we were sure of our way.
Not moving til sure of the way. Good advice in fog! Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Scary. I walk in 10 days and I can get disoriented in a shopping center. I have been caught out in whiteouts skiing, and walking. It's surprisingly difficult to gauge anything useful even the slope. I think the standard advice if you are lost is to stay out of retrace your steeps, rather than blundering on ??
I know what you mean about shopping centers. LOL Good advice. Thank you.
If you aren’t positive about the path, sit down and get comfortable. Waiting it out is safer than falling off a steep drop.

Having a good map on your smartphone with the camino tracks would be wise to have in foggy conditions.

Be comfy while waiting it out. Thanks

We did CF in 2019. Started in the last days of May but it was basically a June (summer) Camino. We had snow Orisson to Ronces. We later looked like cooked (sunburnt) lobsters on the Mesta and although we missed it, many we walked with had snow again around Cruz de Ferro. Always have storm gear with you. Unlike we are told in 'The Way', "The locals would have warned him", locals can be wrong! The albergue manager at Orisson told us it would be a fine day and thick dark clouds rolled in 10 minutes later, then it got colder and rained, then it rained sideways, then it snowed. We had rain the first 4 days of our Camino - my 11 year old almost quit. I'm pleased he did not.

We did CF in 2019. Started in the last days of May but it was basically a June (summer) Camino. We had snow Orisson to Ronces. We later looked like cooked (sunburnt) lobsters on the Mesta and although we missed it, many we walked with had snow again around Cruz de Ferro. Always have storm gear with you. Unlike we are told in 'The Way', "The locals would have warned him", locals can be wrong! The albergue manager at Orisson told us it would be a fine day and thick dark clouds rolled in 10 minutes later, then it got colder and rained, then it rained sideways, then it snowed. We had rain the first 4 days of our Camino - my 11 year old almost quit. I'm pleased he did not.
I had the pleasure of said snow on Jun 7th 2019 at the Cruz... not horrible, but colder than what i would have expected for June in Spain...
I generally pack that i would be fine (more or less) if things drop down to 0°C, even if i set out in summer. Not that this would help in heavy fog. But you can't have everything.

(Btw: using your smartphone for navigation in adverse weather is also more difficult than it sounds)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On a nice clear day I encountered a small group of folks from Japan who were standing at a marker sign at a spot where the trail crosses another trail (which looked well traveled). They had no English or Spanish and no idea which trail to follow - no yellow arrows and the signs had Basque names on each directional arrow. Rather than risk getting lost, they waited until someone came along (me in this case) who knew the way to go.

Last September, we walked the Route Napoleon when the fog came in. When the road ended we saw two different dirt paths and couldn't see any markers to identify which path to take. We were ready to turnaround when a Spanish cyclist came out of the fog on one of the dirt paths. He stopped and told us which path to take and what types of markers to look for. We call him our Spanish angel! Thanks to him we were able to continue on without a problem.

I always take a compass,they’re cheap to buy and a helpful tool in all weathers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was thinking as I walked, what would I do on the Camino in a thick fog. Pretty easy to navingate on the shore line with the dunes on the other side and bright beachy colors in between....
If my GPS battery was dead and I was in danger of hypothermia, I would go downhill until encountering water, and then downstream until encountering a village. Otherwise, either wait for the fog to lift or keep going in the direction I think is right. (Paying close attention to what I can see, and if that doesn’t include my own feet, don’t move!)

Here is what Dave Whitson says in his "The Northern Caminos" guidebook...
(Edited for a correction.)
Before I walked the Hospitales route, I asked local advice, which for a lot of caminos seems to make the best sense? I was blessed with a day of glorious weather and visibility, which made It then, and still, in my memory, one of the most wonderful day's walk I ever had on my own. It made up for the fact that 4 years earlier , I walked, with others on the Francés, over the Pyrenees in a total fog.
Local knowledge is always a nugget of good in my experience.

Thank the universe. Rest up dear fellow peregrina.

This brings up a good question though.
I was walking the beach in RI yesterday when a thick fog rolled in unexpectedly. Soon we wer caled out of the water and then a storm came on. None of this was predicted in the forecast.

Any suggestions?
Walking on the Primitivo in dense fog, I realized that it shifts, so you must stay still until you get a break in the landscape to see a marker. Never move from a marker until you have a clear brief view of the next step or you will be over the mountain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am glad help was available and the pilgrim was rescued. I hope I never need them but glad they are there. I too have encountered extremes on route napoleon and wouldn’t go without my liner gloves and a puffer to wear under my rain jacket. (I also use apps which work when only gps signals are available) I have not walked in winter but have experienced heat, fog, rain, wind and sleet bordering on snow on spring and summer caminos. My husband walked with only a fleece and a poncho on our first camino and survived but was not happy when the sleet started blowing in in late may and his hands were freezing while I was happy to at least have my wool liners. Nevertheless it was a pleasure to have a brief break in the shelter over the Spanish border! I am always incredulous when I read packing advice telling people on summer caminos that you only need wear sandals, a light fleece and a poncho (with a silk liner to sleep in) - when I made the mistake of checking a few things with my poles last time I darn near froze to death in roncesvalles Albergue with only a liner and would hate to have to wait out a storm with minimalist packing enroute to roncesvalles! I also sent my sleeping bag on from Najera once to discover (to my detriment) that temperatures inside at night vary across the camino even during a scorching summer 🥶 I can imagine it snowing in O’Cebreiro too so would want to stay prepared. I can’t wait to visit the Frances again and would always visit the pilgrim office in Sjpp for advice before heading over - no interest in the forest walk into roncesvalles either - the “long” way is beautiful and the office advice has always been to turn right rather than enter the Forest.

I walked 37 days from Le Puy (on the roacamadour varient) and arrived in SJPdP two days before my train left. The arrival in SJPdP was so disappointing and I had heard so much about hiking the pass to Roncevalles, that I decided to strike out the next morning.

The gîte in SJPdP loaned me a daypack, and I ACTUALLY considered going with nothing but a t-shirt, shorts and my lunch. Another pilgrim told me to take my rain cape and thankfully I did, but I needed OH so much more. Everyone had talked about the climb and that had been emphasized so much that I completely neglected to prepare myself for the mountainous pass.

I, who lived in mountainous terrain, experienced the climatic shift between lowlands and altitude, who lives in a semi-arctic climate, headed out in a t-shirt, shorts and a raincape. Duh.

I survived. Still, had I got lost as well. . . Again, how one gets lost on such a path is a good question.

It nearly happened to me. I blame my being tired, of course. Approaching the top of the Route Napoleon it was thick fog and a yellow curved arrow pointing right appeared on the path in front of me. What did I do? I immediately left the path and walked right onto the grass and immediately became lost and confused. Of course, had I had my wits about me, I should have waited for the path to appear on my right instead of immediately leaving the path for the grass. I imagined being near a precipice and falling down it so I was quite scared. It was only by chance that I found the path again and then very gladly joined a group of three young women and made it to Roncesvalles safely.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back