• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Return journey from Santiago to the north east of England

SueV

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hello. Can anyone advise on return travel from Santiago to the north east of England/ Newcastle/north west/Manchester. EasyJet run seasonal flights which don’t cover November when we will be returning. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The way I tend to do it is to look at the departure airports' destinations and then match with the arrival airports' destinations.

Santiago is here :

Newcastle is here:

Going via Dublin rather than Heathrow looks to be better as you avoid LHR.

Or you can select one you've never tried like Geneva as an intermediary stopover to do some sightseeing on the way back.

Whilst I am based in North Yorkshire I fly to and from Stansted Airport with Ryanair. I am doing this again in June, while I then need to return home on the train after a month away it isn't too much hassle. Not aware of Ryanair's flights in November but the one I am booked on gets me back to Stansted Airport at 11.45. If it is the same timetable the 12.45 train would get you to Newcastle at 16.50 but you may prefer a later train.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Whilst I am based in North Yorkshire I fly to and from Stansted Airport with Ryanair. I am doing this again in June, while I then need to return home on the train after a month away it isn't too much hassle. Not aware of Ryanair's flights in November but the one I am booked on gets me back to Stansted Airport at 11.45. If it is the same timetable the 12.45 train would get you to Newcastle at 16.50 but you may prefer a later train.
Many thanks, we’ll definitely consider this.

Many thanks, much appreciated

The way I tend to do it is to look at the departure airports' destinations and then match with the arrival airports' destinations.

Santiago is here :

Newcastle is here:

Going via Dublin rather than Heathrow looks to be better as you avoid LHR.

Or you can select one you've never tried like Geneva as an intermediary stopover to do some sightseeing on the way back.
Many thanks, much appreciated

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was in Galicia last October, and I found that public transport, that is, bus and train, were good. I flew through Porto, which has lots of flights to the UK. The bus (ALSA) from Santiago to Porto airport was about three hours.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home

Richard

Hi SueV - I'm starting my camino shortly and Manchester is my nearest airport. I trawled through a lot of options to try and find a way back. In the end the quickest and cheapest was to fly from Santiago to Geneva and then Geneva to Manchester, both with EasyJet. There's a 3 hour stopover in Geneva. Could have reduced that to an hour but would have cost more and risked missing the connection if delays. I think the only other viable option for me was a 3-4 hour bus to Porto. That might work if you finished your camino early and wanted to spend a couple of days in Porto.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am travelling from north east england at end of May getting train to Edinburgh from Newcastle then Ryanair to Biarritz then transfer to SJPdP.
Return from Santiago early July (early morning flight) to Stansted then train to Newcastle.Hope this helps

Hello. Can anyone advise on return travel from Santiago to the north east of England/ Newcastle/north west/Manchester. EasyJet run seasonal flights which don’t cover November when we will be returning. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
I guess if you only want to fly on one flight each way rather than connecting, you either have to do a long bus or train journey in either UK, Spain or Portugal. It’s probably more interesting, and cheaper to do it in Spain or Portugal.

I would look at going from Manchester direct to Spain then overland in Spain by bus or train. Manchester serves a few places in Spain. Madrid is as close as it gets though I think those flights are often early morning as it carries a lot of business traffic. The Barcelona flights go later. Also look at via Portugal options.

Hi SueV - I'm starting my camino shortly and Manchester is my nearest airport. I trawled through a lot of options to try and find a way back. In the end the quickest and cheapest was to fly from Santiago to Geneva and then Geneva to Manchester, both with EasyJet. There's a 3 hour stopover in Geneva. Could have reduced that to an hour but would have cost more and risked missing the connection if delays. I think the only other viable option for me was a 3-4 hour bus to Porto. That might work if you finished your camino early and wanted to spend a couple of days in Porto.
Geneva airport is super-efficient. They don't even count a 1hr wait as a short connection.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I guess if you only want to fly on one flight each way rather than connecting, you either have to do a long bus or train journey in either UK, Spain or Portugal. It’s probably more interesting, and cheaper to do it in Spain or Portugal.

I would look at going from Manchester direct to Spain then overland in Spain by bus or train. Manchester serves a few places in Spain. Madrid is as close as it gets though I think those flights are often early morning as it carries a lot of business traffic. The Barcelona flights go later. Also look at via Portugal options.
There are very cheap flights with Ryanair or Iberia for Madrid to Manchester in November.

I just realised that you are talking SDC to home not outbound but routing idea may still apply. Stress just taking of you only one one flying sector rather than connecting via intermediate point.

Many thanks to everyone who has given advice, all much appreciated and will be looked into. Kind Regards, Susan and Jane

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I live in Newcastle and am flying from Edinburgh to Santander on way out with Ryanair and then from Santiago, stansted, edinburgh back, very cheap. I use skyscanner.normally but Ryanair no longer on skyscanner. You can go via.dublin,.very cheap except the timing.is.rubbush unless you stay.overnight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in Newcastle and am flying from Edinburgh to Santander on way out with Ryanair and then from Santiago, stansted, edinburgh back, very cheap. I use skyscanner.normally but Ryanair no longer on skyscanner. You can go via.dublin,.very cheap except the timing.is.rubbush unless you stay.overnight.
I believe Ryanair pulled out from the Santiago to Edinburgh route only recently 😔. It was my most convenient return to Glasgow.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back