• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reverse route

Lisnashannagh

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Sario to Santiago De Compostela
2020: Santander to Bilbao planned
Hi there

Help needed! We are planning to walk the route from Santander to Bilbao in April 2020. Has anyone any advice for walking the reverse route? What about luggage transfers, does anyone know of a company that will do this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there
Help needed! We are planning to walk the route from Santander to Bilbao in April 2020. Has anyone any advice for walking the reverse route? What about luggage transfers, does anyone know of a company that will do this?
@Lisnashannagh, welcome to the forum. The usual advice on walking Camino routes in reverse is make sure you have a good navigation App or can read a guide book backwards, reversing every line of direction. Trail marks are set to inform walkers heading to Santiago. Every Yellow Arrow will be behind you, telling you where you have come from not where to go next.

As @trecile asks: do you have a particular reason for your proposed adventure? You'll find Bilbao to Santander an easier proposition for navigation if nought else. You would also avoid some interesting discussions with Albergue Hospitalero/as who expect Pilgrims to be walking toward Santiago or at least have walked to Santiago and being on their way back home. If you are just after a good hike in interesting landscapes you don't need the Camino just a navigation app.

There are several companies offering baggage transfers on the Norte, including Correos, but you would have to contact them directly to establish whether they can move luggage in reverse.

Is there a reason why you want to do it in reverse?
We booked it that way and only afterwards thought it might cause logistical issues. So now we either go with it or re plan the whole trip. Any advice?

Thanks for the responses. We’ve checked with Correos and they don’t transfer luggage in reverse. I’m thinking that maybe private taxis might?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We booked it that way and only afterwards thought it might cause logistical issues. So now we either go with it or re plan the whole trip. Any advice?
By booked it that way do you mean you have pre-booked accommodation or you have booked flights into Santander and out of Bilbao? There are easy train & bus connections between those two cities so re-reversing your route would not be difficult though it would be time consuming.

There are several companies apart from Correos that provide luggage transfer and it may be worth your while approaching them. Search "luggage transfer" on the forum for suggestions. I do not hold much hope that they will be able to assist you.

Private taxis will charge €1 per Km to transport luggage and will charge for the outward and return journey in most cases.

My advice? Start again.

Yes we booked flights into Santander and out of Bilbao. Thanks for the tips. We’ve some thinking to do!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I might be inclined to walk in westerly direction and get a train back to the start point. Cheaper than getting taxis to transfer luggage ''backwards''. I had to get myself back to Bilbao unexpectedly a few years ago from Santiago and it was a lovely train ride

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year I tried walking one legs of the Sanabres in reverse. I found it impossible to find the way-markers. I ended up walking down the highway for the entire route.

You’re the first person we have heard from that has actually tried to do it so think we need to take heed. Did you carry your bags?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did one day backwards, went from Santiago to Oliveroa (sp) with my friends but then the next day went back to Santiago to catch my train. The navigation was hard and I backtracked a fair bit. However I have to say that the most annoying thing was that people kept saying and or gesturing to me (pilgrims, passing cars, people in their driveways, etc) "you're going the wrong way" and I kept having to say, "Yes, I know. Thank you."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Lisnashannagh, How long have you booked for, 1 week or 2. You could always walk part of the Northe for the time you have and then bus back to Bilboa for your flight home.
Wonderful suggestion and that’s exactly what we’re going to do. That way we only need to re-arrange some accommodation & can work with the flights we have. So we’re westward bound, thanks for all the advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wonderful suggestion and that’s exactly what we’re going to do. That way we only need to re-arrange some accommodation & can work with the flights we have. So we’re westward bound, thanks for all the advice.
Sounds good. I think that you will find it more enjoyable.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back