• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road Enquiry: Avoiding Highways / Traffic

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I woke up at 5:28 AM with a bit of worry in my mind. I'll be brief and to the point. What are the areas that might put me in danger crossing roads?

I had a friend at my new church, who departs on 14 September for CF, tell me to get a taxi before coming into Leon. Okay. I can do that.

What are the other areas that cause issues for pilgrims on roads?

I prefer to taxi or bus in rather than walk in a heavily trafficked area. Got my reflective vest, now just need a little more info. Seasoned pilgrims? Any advice is appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can not recall any prolonged stretches of road walking that I would consider to be dangerous. Remember the Frances the become so popular in recent years that any real danger spots have been solved by now. For example, I know that in the past there were some actually dangerous parts walking into Leon, having to cross a major road, but these issues have been solved and a footbridge has been built over a main road years ago. I can see no safety reason which would make it necessary to take a taxi into Leon.

Having said that, many people do not walk into Leon and Burgos but take a bus instead - for the last 10 km, because they are suburban, industrial stretches. But the again, the walk into Burgos is on a pavement clearly separated from the road, so in my opinion there is no real safety issue there. However, you may consider bussing in and out of Burgos and Leon, if this feels the better thing to do. Walking out of Leon, I would definitely take the Villar de Mazarife option, and not the other option which also is much closer to a bigger road. Walking in and out of Pamplona, there is no cause for concern.

Hope this helpfull and maybe others can add. This is just my perspective, and I bike through Amsterdam every day, which some people would perhaps find to be very dangerous - there is always a subjective element in safety issues I guess.

But the again, the walk into Burgos is on a pavement clearly separated from the road, so in my opinion there is no real safety issue there. However, you may consider bussing in and out of Burgos and Leon, if this feels the better thing to do.

There's actually a lovely alternative route into Burgos - I think Brierley's guide now shows this as the preferred route. You walk through a city park alongside the river all the way in to the city, where you cross a bridge into the old town - it's beautiful, and no traffic. If you combine that with the (not very attractive, but also traffic-free) path around the airport then the only busy road you have to cross is the one after the airport and before the river park, at Castanares (and there is a controlled crossing there, you're not competing with traffic).

The only places I really noticed potentially dangerous crossings were in the last few stages before Santiago, when the Camino crosses the major N road several times. But those weren't a big deal and from memory visibility was fine and the road wasn't very busy when we were walking.

As Marc S says, nearly all of the walking that occurs alongside major roads is on a separate path, not on the road itself. Actual road walking is almost all on quiet, minor roads. I didn't walk into Leon so can't speak about that section, but from what I have heard that is much safer than it used to be. Others can comment better about that though.

We did end up having to take a taxi a few times for various (mainly injury-related) reasons - but I don't think there was anywhere I felt we needed to do so to avoid dangerous traffic. Personally the times I felt most vulnerable to other road/path users was when cyclists raced up behind me without calling out or ringing a bell - but that's a topic that's been discussed at length elsewhere!

Good question though, @CaminoDebrita - my time for that sort of worry tends to be around 3.15am!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Deb,

The entrance into Leon used to be dangerous, but they have constructed a maze-like path that takes the pilgrim over the highway. It isn't pretty, but certainly not dangerous anymore. There was another danger point outside Leon, crossing the bridge into Villarente (?), which has also been remedied with the construction of a pedestrian bridge.

The entrance into Burgos is all on sidewalk, so no danger, it's just a long unappealing slog on asphalt. The alternative along the river is quiet and pretty.

The one real danger point I would worry about is coming into Arca do Pino on what is likely to be your last or next to last day before Santiago. Two pilgrims have been killed in different years, one this year: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrim-death.34354/

The danger points are few and far between, IMO. Buen camino, Laurie

Villafranca Montes de Oca has a narrow spot where a major road doesn't have enough room for trucks to pass each other. You must walk through this gap too.

Pedrouzo Arca seems to be a bad spot with a couple of accidents involving pilgrims. Its a wide and busy road with services including albergues on both sides.

I recall a section just past Larrasoana that follows a narrow shoulder on N-135.

Otherwise ... the camino often follows narrow winding roads full of blind corners that are over-driven by Spanish drivers. Comic relief is to be had when two of these meet on a narrow spot ... but you wouldn't want to be there when it happens.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @CaminoDebrita, IMO the road sections aren't something that you need to avoid - it's more a matter of taking extra care, especially when crossing a busy road.

Re. the alternative route to Burgos - the directions in the Brierley guide are a little confusing and many of us have ended up accidentally walking through the industrial area (which is totally safe BTW). Here's a brilliant guide from another forum member http://tritetales.com/2014/10/31/camino-how-to-enter-burgos/ which will help you avoid that mistake.

Buen Camino!

There's actually a lovely alternative route into Burgos - I think Brierley's guide now shows this as the preferred route. You walk through a city park alongside the river all the way in to the city, where you cross a bridge into the old town - it's beautiful, and no traffic.

But you miss a little roadside cafe (on the right) that makes a lovely breakfast! ;)

Where there is road walking, the main thing to remember is to walk facing the oncoming traffic (ie on the left hand side), in a line. I have heard the locals complain, quite rightly I think, about pilgrims walking in large groups in the middle of the road, not paying any attention.

Buen camino.

Hi @CaminoDebrita, IMO the road sections aren't something that you need to avoid - it's more a matter of taking extra care, especially when crossing a busy road.

Re. the alternative route to Burgos - the directions in the Brierley guide are a little confusing and many of us have ended up accidentally walking through the industrial area (which is totally safe BTW). Here's a brilliant guide from another forum member http://tritetales.com/2014/10/31/camino-how-to-enter-burgos/ which will help you avoid that mistake.

Buen Camino!
I love Clare!! thank you for pointing out that blog post.

Very helpful, and I think I will be tinkering with getting it into my little phone or journal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you as well for giving the link for the riverside walk into Burgos. I tried to walk this twice with my (otherwise excellent) German Rotier guide, which mentioned this alternative route, but twice I failed and ended up in yet another industrial part of Burgos. Now I know what went wrong, I went right in Castaneres, instead of going straight ahead. Even going right there, I followed arrows for a while so I felt I was heading in the right direction.
(the crucial bit in the link : When you reach the main road in Castanares, cross immediately and go straight ahead. (Don’t follow the main street to the right, as indicated on some arrows I saw. Those arrows might be for the “middle” route along the N-120.)

Maybe it is an idea to move this link to the resource section (or another appropriate place) of the forum with heading 'walking into Burgos' ? ? (I could not find such a thread myself)

Anyway. The prospect of a nice riverside entrance into Burgos just gave me an excuse to walk the CF again.:)

Debrita, hi there. I'm not so much a seasoned caminoer (I recently finished my first from just north of Porto to Santiago, June-July this year), but I am seasoned at worrying. I vividly recall my own pre-camino 5:28am moments. I was so...hyper thinking all the time. Wow!!! Looking back, of course, I know that those moments were/are just part of the camino. But, when my eyes saw the first yellow way marker (very cool moment!!), and my feet started walking, I was perfectly fine. My heart seemed to take over the adventure, which is basically much calmer than my mind. There were several times that I simply needed to pay more attention and if I'd needed to grab a taxi, I would have, but the need never even crossed my mind. I wish the best for you!! A positive note: your 5:28am moments are numbered!!!! You'll be there soon and your heart will carry you.

get a taxi before coming into Leon

No need to do that. I love the walk into Leon. It helps with the transition from days of lonely meseta to the busy city. Pedestrian bridges take you safely across the highways. One of the best (and cheapest!) café con leches I enjoyed was at a sidewalk café half way into Leon. You gradually arrive, safe and serene, at the cathedral in the city centre, instead of being unceremoniously plonked down by taxi in (seemingly) chaos. Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Villafranca Montes de Oca has a narrow spot where a major road doesn't have enough room for trucks to pass each other. You must walk through this gap too.
Where there is road walking, the main thing to remember is to walk facing the oncoming traffic (ie on the left hand side), in a line.
When my companion and I walked along this narrow spot (actually I believe it is a bridge across the Rio Oca) into Villafranca, we walked on the left, facing the oncoming traffic. At the same time we were crossing, there were three or four pilgrims crossing the bridge on the other side of the road, with the traffic coming up behind them. Every time a truck came by from behind and passed us I expected someone would be hit. To me, that was the most hair-raising section of the Camino. My advice to anyone crossing this bridge is that if there are pilgrims also walking across the bridge on the wrong side, that you wait until they have got across before you yourself cross over on the left side. There just doesn't seem to be enough room for a truck to go by safely if there are pilgrims walking on both sides of the bridge at the same time.

I have just re-read the attached link about the road deaths and will certainly now pack my reflective vest. Thanks to all those who responded about the "Camino friendly" routes into Burgos and Leon. Cheers

Debrita, hi there. I'm not so much a seasoned caminoer (I recently finished my first from just north of Porto to Santiago, June-July this year), but I am seasoned at worrying. I vividly recall my own pre-camino 5:28am moments. I was so...hyper thinking all the time. Wow!!! Looking back, of course, I know that those moments were/are just part of the camino. But, when my eyes saw the first yellow way marker (very cool moment!!), and my feet started walking, I was perfectly fine. My heart seemed to take over the adventure, which is basically much calmer than my mind. There were several times that I simply needed to pay more attention and if I'd needed to grab a taxi, I would have, but the need never even crossed my mind. I wish the best for you!! A positive note: your 5:28am moments are numbered!!!! You'll be there soon and your heart will carry you.
I appreciate your sweet sentiment, but there have been road deaths. I'm not that much of a worrier :) This was a fair question.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Concur, this was a totally fair question. Thanks for the link to the blog entry on entering Burgos, I have saved a copy to my Camino folder. Oh, I never leave home without my reflective vest and my reflective belt. Que la luz de Dios siempre alumbre su camino.

Thanks for that link, @NualaOC, on entering Burgos. I'm wondering now if anyone knows how long it takes to walk that entire route through the park (as shown in green in Brierley's guide). I ask because my companion and I made that right turn after leaving the airport, instead of going straight, and we walked for an awfully long way on that busy, rather unattractive route. When we realized we had somehow missed the river route, we took a left turn, and it was at this point that we learned from a Spanish gentleman that the cathedral was still two hours away - and it was a lovely two hours. So I am wondering, if we had got onto the river route immediately after leaving the airport, how long a walk the 'green' route would be in its entirety. Just curious. Thx.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
we walked for an awfully long way on that busy, rather unattractive route.
I'm wondering now if anyone knows how long it takes to walk that entire route through the park
It was probably at least as long on the river route but a more pleasant walk. I found that since I thought I was in Burgos and "almost there", I was surprised not to arrive faster. Next time I would try to relax and take my time. Maybe stop and look at the river. Even pop over one of the pedestrian bridges to look at the city side but come back to the park route.

It has a nice drama to walk all the way on the green side until the final bridge and approach to the cathedral.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It was probably at least as long on the river route but a more pleasant walk. I found that since I thought I was in Burgos and "almost there", I was surprised not to arrive faster. Next time I would try to relax and take my time. Maybe stop and look at the river. Even pop over one of the pedestrian bridges to look at the city side but come back to the park route.

It has a nice drama to walk all the way on the green side until the final bridge and approach to the cathedral.
Thank you @C clearly for taking the time to put those excellent instructions in your blog. I'm sure they will help a lot of people to find the more pleasant entry to Burgos.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have just re-read the attached link about the road deaths and will certainly now pack my reflective vest. Thanks to all those who responded about the "Camino friendly" routes into Burgos and Leon. Cheers

I've just ordered an ultra lightweight reflective vest, because of this thread.

I would suggest bringing clothes that are brightly coloured. I would particularly suggest a brightly coloured rain jacket because visibility is reduced when there is rain.

You won't want to wear anything extra in the heat of the day and you won't want to carry useless weight either.

You can stay safe using the rules we were taught as children about walking on the road facing traffic. On those narrow roads with poor visibility I found it prudent to just step off the road and wait for any vehicle that was heard or seen to pass by before I continued.

Burgos and Leon were the safest places to walk because either the walkways are isolated from roads or there are sidewalks and traffic lights. The only downside in these places is the urban sprawl and its associated assault on the senses (and so what).

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do have a red Ferrino poncho. I guess if I change my mind before I leave in 13 days, I can return the vest. I did get it on Amazon Prime. :) No, I don't want to carry useless weight. Too many decisions!!!

Didn't have a problem at all -was worried before but no serious issue. Didn't wear safety vest - just heads up for Camino path.

Hi-vis is always a good idea. So is paying attention. The only place on the CF that I felt in danger (and I walked every step from SJPP to SdC) was the alternative route after Astorga. THAT was an adventure that I won't repeat as it was along a road where there was no way of getting out of the way if someone swerved toward me. When I came to a bridge I actually stopped, waited until no traffic was in sight, and then RAN across while it was clear.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi-vis is always a good idea. So is paying attention. The only place on the CF that I felt in danger (and I walked every step from SJPP to SdC) was the alternative route after Astorga. THAT was an adventure that I won't repeat as it was along a road where there was no way of getting out of the way if someone swerved toward me. When I came to a bridge I actually stopped, waited until no traffic was in sight, and then RAN across while it was clear.
Really interested to read this comment - that was the only place on the Camino I felt really unsafe too. I'd completely forgotten this bit when I posted above. It was a Saturday morning when we walked it and traffic was quite heavy and fast. Very glad to get off this stretch! Next time we'll stick to the main route. Didn't like the path the other side of Castrillo to rejoin the Camino either, but not due to traffic. Just felt a bit too isolated.

Hi-viz vest definitely a good idea. I found a very lightweight one here in what we call a"$2 shop", cut up the sides and added tapes so it went over my pack.

First, I have not read this entire thread as I'm getting ready for a family outing and just wanted to reply.

You MUST pay attention on busy roads.
Traffic will NOT pay attention to you, in general.
They will not stop for you to cross, in general, but will buzz past you.

Luckily there aren't many places you must cross and in a few, such as going into Pamplona, alternative routes are provided, like UNDER the highway.
Use them.

And if you have to walk on busy roads, please walk FACING the traffic and stand aside if any big trucks go by.
I ignored this for years until the one day it caught up with me.
A big truck went by and caught my pack like a parachute and I tumbled -
Only God and fate kept me from going beneath the wheels of that truck - I can still smell the rubber.

So pay attention on busy stretches and walk facing the traffic and move aside for large vehicles and BRACE.
That's my advice based on experience.

Hi, Deb,

The one real danger point I would worry about is coming into Arca do Pino on what is likely to be your last or next to last day before Santiago. Two pilgrims have been killed in different years, one this year: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrim-death.34354/

The danger points are few and far between, IMO. Buen camino, Laurie

Regarding this point, it seems that authorities are taking measures:

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...-puntos-negros-camino/0003_201508S13C2991.htm

Max. speeds (for cars) have been reduced, and LED signals have been installed warning about possible pedestrians.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back