• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rome to Santiago

Robert Gomez

Time of past OR future Camino
Gibraltar -La Coruña (vía de la plata) 2010, Camino Portugués - 2012, Camino del Sureste- 2014
Hi! I am from Weybridge, uk. Have walked various Caminos since 2010. Walked the Via Francigena in 2017 Canterbury to Rome. Want to do Rome to Santiago de Compostela in June this year. Anybody done it recently and would be happy to share their route, comments, accommodation etc? Any details welcome. With thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi! I am from Weybridge, uk. Have walked various Caminos since 2010. Walked the Via Francigena in 2017 Canterbury to Rome. Want to do Rome to Santiago de Compostela in June this year. Anybody done it recently and would be happy to share their route, comments, accommodation etc? Any details welcome. With thanks.
Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum -
I see you are recently added and thought I’d mention first; that there is a sub-forum for Via Francigena which May give you some of the stuff you’re seeking. Just scroll thru the forum menu listing of sub forums.

There are also files in the resources section which you may not have had in 2017.
@caminka has posted a good accommodation listing.

There is also an ‘app’ for Via Francigena which has more accommodation plus maps etc etc.

I have used maps me in past couple of years. Hoping to use it again next month in Italy and spain.

Good luck
Annie

Last edited:
Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum -
I see you are recently added and thought I’d mention first; that there is a sub-forum for Via Francigena which May give you some of the stuff you’re seeking. Just scroll thru the forum menu listing of sub forums.

There are also files in the resources section which you may not have had in 2017.
@caminka has posted a good accommodation listing.

There is also an ‘app’ for Via Francigena which has more accommodation plus maps etc etc.

I have used maps me in past couple of years. Hoping to use it again next month in Italy and spain.

Good luck
Annie
Thanks Annie. I’ll follow up

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Annie. I’ll follow up
Robert
Realising this is your first post, just offering a little more help with using this forum., as I see you’ve found it tricky to use.
- whenever you are reading a post and want to comment ., the easiest way is just: hit ‘reply’.
The actual post you’re reading and replying to will be part of your reply.

Or you can simply answer & post a comment direct in the box and post.
The ‘reply ‘ function adds the other persons post in your reply.

If you need to speak privately to someone - there is a PM (private message) function too.
Click on the members’ profile pic - it will then bring up an option to ‘start conversation ‘

I only add these notes hoping to help - it’s sometimes different on a forum ( I still fumble )

Annie

There's a Via Posthumia group on FB

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Basically, there are just two main routes from Rome to Montpellier via Arles. One of them with two variants.

Either follow the "southern" Francigena route backwards, so then Rome to Piacenza, but then split off westward via Turin, Briançon, Gap, Avignon, to Arles ; then Arles Way to at least Montpellier.

Or follow the coastal Francigena, and the Via Aurelia, Rome to La Spezia, Genova, San Remo, Menton, La Turbie, around or through the bloated Nice area somehow, Fréjus, maybe or maybe not Brignoles depending on how you feel, Aix, Arles, Montpellier. The waymarked trail goes up into the hills above the coast on the side of the two Italian Rivieras, but there is a tarmac variant just following the coast at sea level after La Spezia to France. Genova can be either wonderful or hellish or both in either alternate or simultaneous. It's a strange and interesting city.

From Montpellier then either carry on with the Arles Way, or switch down onto the Piémont Way.

In either case, choose whether to go via the Somport or via SJPP (a third and far more lonely alternative exists to the Cami Catalan via Perpignan, Girona, and Manresa -- switching to it after Béziers on the Piémont, but it is very DIY)

It is just about feasible to make a way out from Turin towards Le Puy, so that may be an option if it interests you.

Last edited:
Hi Robert, I am starting my next walk the Via Francigena -Canterbury to Rome about the first week in May this year. I have already started to get that eager to get on my way feeling .I must decide if to buy and carry a tent or not. MSR do a small tent at about 2.75kg .Would you advise a tent as a good idea or not .I want to stay in as many hostels as possible, but if that is not always possible, I will need an alternative option. I will be carrying everything as usual , please advise on your thoughts having already done the walk . Hope you don't mind offering your opinion. Regards Terry

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
.Would you advise a tent as a good idea or not .I want to stay in as many hostels as possible, but if that is not always possible, I will need an alternative option. I will be carrying everything as usual , please advise on your thoughts having already done the walk . Hope you don't mind offering your opinion. Regards Terry
Robert hasn't visited the forum for a couple of months. Can I chip in an opinion while you wait for his reply? I carried a small tent which I used most of the time while in France, a couple of nights in Switzerland, but not at all in Italy. I was off the main VF route quite a lot and camping was a good option for me. Many people who stick to the official route do not carry one. If you do decide to take a tent I'm sure you could find one much lighter than 2.75kg. My own single-skin tent weighs about 1kg and I find it has plenty of space for me and my gear.

Robert hasn't visited the forum for a couple of months. Can I chip in an opinion while you wait for his reply? I carried a small tent which I used most of the time while in France, a couple of nights in Switzerland, but not at all in Italy. I was off the main VF route quite a lot and camping was a good option for me. Many people who stick to the official route do not carry one. If you do decide to take a tent I'm sure you could find one much lighter than 2.75kg. My own single-skin tent weighs about 1kg and I find it has plenty of space for me and my gear.
Terry, apologies for long delay. We never carry a tent so I’m not the best person to ask. We managed to find accommodation all the way although at times had to resort to very expensive hotels. Enjoy. Bradypus: thanks for picking this one up

Hi Robert, I am starting my next walk the Via Francigena -Canterbury to Rome about the first week in May this year. I have already started to get that eager to get on my way feeling .I must decide if to buy and carry a tent or not. MSR do a small tent at about 2.75kg .Would you advise a tent as a good idea or not .I want to stay in as many hostels as possible, but if that is not always possible, I will need an alternative option. I will be carrying everything as usual , please advise on your thoughts having already done the walk . Hope you don't mind offering your opinion. Regards Terry
I walked VF in 2011 and did not take a tent. Accommodation was a mixture of donativo (mostly in Italy) and hostals/hotels, some very expensive.

You may get up to date info from the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome.

PM me your email and I will send you my "as walked" itinerary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Terry, apologies for long delay. We never carry a tent so I’m not the best person to ask. We managed to find accommodation all the way although at times had to resort to very expensive hotels. Enjoy. Bradypus: thanks for picking this one up
Did you walk Rome to SdC? If not, do you still plan to?

I walked Rome to SdC in 2012.

Did you walk Rome to SdC? If not, do you still plan to?

I walked Rome to SdC in 2012.
Planning to walk this year if COVID restrictions allow. Had to postpone last year due to COVID.

Terry, I should have mentioned that you can find a blog of our whole journey from Canterbury to Rome on Facebook. The page is Footprints on the Via Francigena . You might find some useful information there. Robert & Ana MarĂ­a Gomez

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.