• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it okay to have no plan for the first Camino? 🌙

Status
Not open for further replies.

naikeosa

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be on Camino in May, with no plan.
Hi everyone. My name is Nika.
I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I feel like I just want to run away and spend some quality time with the planet, feel the life.

I’m going alone. And I have no plan, no reservations. I just plan to buy good shoes and backpack - all my preps.

Will I die with no plan over there? 😂
Will I be able to stay at albergues if I don’t book a bed previously?

And maybe someone can give me a few suggestions on what city to start with?

I really wanna plan as less as possible.

Thank you 🫂

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My 2 cents:
Walking without plan is probably the best choice.
However, if you come from Kyiv, perhaps the costs of accommodations and food in France will be high... from another hand, the main Camino in Spain (Camino Frances) seems to be currently overcrowded, therefore not convenient for walking without plan...
Perhaps your best choice should be walking the Camino Portugues, from Lisboa or Porto (depending of how much time you have) ?
What is the opinion of those who have walked in Portugal ?
Anyway, Buen Camino, Bon Chemin, Bom Caminho !

I will let other folks deal with the Camino side as I am not qualified. Re travel. Not sure what the flight situation is but I would look at train. You can probably go Kyiv to Przemsyl to cross into Border into PL then head to Berlin. I think the route is open. Depending on selected city you can use the extensive bus or train network from there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am with @C clearly here.

More, if you think you consider yourself a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago, rather than a random hiker out for a cheap holiday funded by the efforts of the many Spanish and international volunteers who support pilgrims at great personal expense, then you should be intending to walk to the tomb of the saint, ie the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. It might not be something you think you will achieve this year, but that seems to me to be the minimum requirement for using a credencial from the cathedral or any other organisations authorised to issue the credencial on behalf of the Cathedral.

All the rest is then up to you. You have provided so little for anyone to go on that even with all the willingness and the best intentions about assisting you, it seems to me unlikely that you will get the valuable advice that forum members are renowned for providing. If you want our help, help us help you, and do some work to flesh out your own thinking about what you really want to do.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Instead of the Camino Francés You could travel to Bayonne and starting the Camino del Norte from there. A negative of this route is that there's not so many pilgrim accommodations and prices can be higher.

Or travel to Madrid for the Camino Madrid. I've never heard of overcrowding on that route.

I don’t have good suggestions, but some questions that you might want to ponder:

You ask: “Is it OK to have no plans?”
I would think of it in terms of is it wise to have no plans?

It depends on how skilled you are in terms of backpacking, hiking, level of fitness, resourcefulness, language skills, etc. Would it be wise to go to a strange country with a different language without being prepared for what might come up?

Will you die without a plan? Hopefully not, but why increase the odds? After all, I’m sure that even people with a plan have died, because we can’t anticipate everything.

Is being prepared the same thing has having a plan?

What’s wrong with having a plan? (You don’t need to answer, is just worth pondering).

Having a plan does not negate being flexible on choices you might need to make once you are there. A plan need not be rigid, rather, it can be a great way of defining goals.

I dont’ know what to suggest in terms of where to start or what route to take. Maybe you might consider one of the shorter routes just so you can have a sense of what the Camino is all about. Or take one of the more popular ones so you can interact with others, and get help if needed.

I’m normally a cautious person that likes to think ahead, and that works for me. Maybe that doesn’t work for you, and that’s fine.

I want you to be successful in your Camino. You might want to read these boards to get a sense of what kind of challenges you might find, so you can be better prepared.

I wish you a great, Buen Camino!

If you want to plan as little as possible listen to your gut and heart. Pilgrims will help if you are open to suggestions. Buen camino ☺️

for crying out loud, the woman is coming from a war area. there will be precious little pilgrims from where she leaves. ans bombs will not mind if she is open to whatever or not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thank you 🫂
I did my first Camino at 24 hrs notice and 2nd at 48 hrs notice. Admittedly I am a seasoned backpacker and it’s the same thing really. Dorms, communal living, new faces all the time. It’s not that big a deal! Shoes, couple of changes of clothes, a Camino app for the route, booking.com and that’s it really. It all just falls into place. You obviously speak very good English so no issue there. I think it’s fine. Just be clear on budget. You probably may need about UAH20k for travel maybe, maybe a bit less, and maybe max UAH50k for hostels, food.

Last edited:
for crying out loud, the woman is coming from a war area. there will be precious little pilgrims from where she leaves. ans bombs will not mind if she is open to whatever or not.
Maybe, but she has found this forum where past pilgrims and even prospective ones have been helping each other for many, many years. We will help, but we need some help understanding how best to do that!

I guess to add that as Ukrainian folks are displaced all over Europe at moment, so you may well find fellow country folks as you travel (not sure about Camino), and in my experience young Ukrainians . from Kyiv tend to have a very international outlook (I am being very general) which is always huge asset.

I am assuming you have full internet access at mo (sorry if daft question) and movement is unrestricted outside conflict areas?

Last edited:
I think that what @Dani7 meant was other pilgrims on the Camino, and here on the forum.

I think at minimum it's best to have a bed reserved for the first place you arrive to, so that this kind of situation can be avoided:
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?

Welcome Mika!
No you won't die.
And depending on where you walk, a plan may not be necessary. Someone mentioned the Norte or Madrid as good options. And they would be. Another possibility (depending on how much time you have and how fit you are) is the Via de la Plata/Sanabres or San Salvador/Primitivo. The Francés is quite crowded right now, so that would be worth avoiding.
Here's a website that gives your options- as you can see there are many.

To stay at albergues you WILL need a ‘credential’, you can get one at the pilgrim office in Saint Jean pied de Port (if you choose to do the Camino francés). Even though it seems to be very crowded at the mo., I would still advise walking the francés as a first camino, you can always change to another camino if it is unbearable!
I would suggest you go to Paris first and take a train to Biarritz (or Bayonne) from there but I hope other people will have suggestions.
I wish you all the best, please come back with more questions if you have any.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I feel like I just want to run away and spend some quality time with the planet, feel the life.

I’m going alone. And I have no plan, no reservations. I just plan to buy good shoes and backpack - all my preps.

Thank you 🫂
Sounds like you are perfectly prepared 😍 and that you have started already ❤️.

You can start from anywhere, including from Paris although some other starting points are more popular and have more resources (like beds) that are aimed at pilgrims.

What is important is how you travel and where you end up rather than where you start.

Buen camino

Last edited:
Hi everyone again.

Thanks for your comments.

To clarify one thing — I’m not going for a vacation. I’m going to a physically and mentally hard path, to find answers to my questions.

I know a lot about this path, credentials and so on, because my teacher told me about el Camino de Santiago. He went through it. Then I started meeting people who did, and it changed their life.

I have my own questions and goals that I would rather not share here.

I also don’t ask you to plan my trip. All I asked is if there are any advice you’d like to give. That’s all.

anyway thank you kind people for help and suggestions 🙏🏼

I’ll find my way. And I wish you that too 🫂

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You don't want to plan, but you want us to plan parts for you?
I also don’t ask you to plan my trip.
I apologize for my comment, which was not very sensitive and not at all helpful.

Welcome to the forum!

Since you have have been able to learn a lot already, you probably don't need to plan much more.

You may still find it helpful to browse through the threads, and if you have any specific questions, I'm sure you will get good responses.

My advice is to not have any expectations about the Camino being a life changing experience. Yes, for some it is, and others don't realize any change until they have been home for a while. Go without expectations and you won't be disappointed.😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone again.

Thanks for your comments.

To clarify one thing — I’m not going for a vacation. I’m going to a physically and mentally hard path, to find answers to my questions.

I know a lot about this path, credentials and so on, because my teacher told me about el Camino de Santiago. He went through it. Then I started meeting people who did, and it changed their life.

I have my own questions and goals that I would rather not share here.

I also don’t ask you to plan my trip. All I asked is if there are any advice you’d like to give. That’s all.

anyway thank you kind people for help and suggestions 🙏🏼

I’ll find my way. And I wish you that too 🫂
You probably know this site already but if you don’t , here it is again
Very helpful especially for accommodation.
As for plans, well… make as many plans as you like and give God a good laugh! (Or something like that 😉)

I just want to decide where to start. Some people here say that it’s more important where you end up. I have a bit different philosophy, as my teacher does. It’s important where you start and how it goes.

I have around 2-3 weeks. And I don’t have a goal of finishing the route. I’m going only and only for the path itself and once I feel that I finished - I will do that. I know it’s probably not popular.

But that’s what I want.

That’s why it’s important where I start. Because I want to get the best pilgrim experience. I want to go through this. To meet people, to meet nature, to meet struggle and to meet myself.

I meant pilgrims in this forum. Did not mean to be dismissive or uncaring to her current situation in Kyiv. I will try to correct my post. I would not assume there are pilgrims walking in Ukraine. That would be quite clueless to think that under the present conditions there.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My advice is to not have any expectations about the Camino being a life changing experience. Yes, for some it is, and others don't realize any change until they have been home for a while. Go without expectations and you won't be disappointed.😊
There are things that I want, but I know that everything can go in absolutely different way. My only expectation is that air out there not to be heavy as it is here. I just want to get out for some time and breathe in full lungs.

I just want to decide where to start. Some people here say that it’s more important where you end up. I have a bit different philosophy, as my teacher does. It’s important where you start and how it goes.

I have around 2-3 weeks. And I don’t have a goal of finishing the route. I’m going only and only for the path itself and once I feel that I finished - I will do that. I know it’s probably not popular.

But that’s what I want.

That’s why it’s important where I start. Because I want to get the best pilgrim experience. I want to go through this. To meet people, to meet nature, to meet struggle and to meet myself.
I’d say start in St Jean pied de Port then…if you don’t intent to reach Santiago (this time anyway).
For me it meant the most, because I am French and I grew up with the Roncesvalles stories of Roland etc…
I think this way you will meet people, definitely meet nature, definitely meet struggle and.. yourself?
But please, if you can, do tell us how it goes. Best wishes 💕

But that’s what I want.

You know what you want. You probably have a clearer idea than most people who set off. With all my heart I hope you find fulfilment and peace in your journey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

But that’s what I want.

I have some slight similarities with you. I haven’t done my Camino yet, but it is important to me where and when I start, and to finish it, so there are some similarities. It is important to me to start on August 11 because of a grief anniversary, and, unlike you, I want to do the entire Camino. Originally I wanted to finish it on September 11 (another grief anniversary) in SdC, but that may not be realistic since I’m older, so I’ll try as an alternative to be at Cruz de Ferro on September 11, then try to make it to SdC on September 22, the start of autumn, so it would be symbolic. But none of that is guaranteed, so I’ll try to go with the flow and see what happens. But this is just me, not you.

Not knowing you, but since you mention that you are seeking for answers, I’ll venture a guess that maybe a place like the Meseta might be worth considering, as, from what I’ve read, it might be a very quiet place for reflection, not like the bigger cities of Pamplona, Burgos, or Leon, which might be more apt for those that want to experience Spanish culture. You might want to start in Burgos which is around the start of the Meseta. Something to consider is that the Meseta can get very hot in the summer months and water not quite as easy to find, so it’s just a thought. Some people dread the Meseta because of the heat, the landscape can seem boring, but some people seem to enjoy the solitude. Perhaps you might want to start in Foncebadon, which is just before the Cruz de Ferro, if that place has significance to you, and perhaps you can use the 2-3 weeks to get to SdC or maybe even Muxia/Finesterre, as these places might be symbolic as well. It’s good that you dont’ feel pressured to finish in a particular place, I do mention these endpoints because they might be meaningful. (experienced pilgrims here can tell you if this is feasible, I’m just guessing as an inexperienced newbie).
I’m just brainstorming here, so take what is useful and leave the rest.
I hope something here might be useful to you.
Buen Camino!

But that’s what I want.

With two to three weeks you could walk from Leon - either directly on the Francés or (harder but seriously beautiful) over the mountains to Oviedo on the San Salvador (5 days), then to Santiago on the Primitivo (about 2 weeks). There are albergues, and the company of fellow pilgrims - but not too much company (fewer than on the Francés). And there is nature in abundance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I may beg the members iam answering in her native language with English translation following below

Ніка

Негайно зверніть увагу на те, що обмінний курс гривні --> євро не на вашу користь, ви заплатите 42 гривні за 1 євро! Враховуючи інші теми, в яких обговорюється, що середня щоденна вартість становить приблизно 40 євро, добре...

При цьому поїзди з Києва до Франції будуть їхати довго. Моя пропозиція полягає в тому, щоб летіти з Борисполя до Шарля де Голля в Парижі, що займе приблизно 3,5 години

Nika
Please take intimate immediate consideration that a UAH --> EUR exchange rate is not in your favor you will pay 42 hrivnas for 1 euro! Given other threads that discuss the average daily cost to be around 40 euros, well...
That said trains will take a long time from Kyiv to France. My suggestion would be to fly Borispil to Charles de Gaulle in Paris which should take about 3.5 hours

Last edited:
Hi Nika,
Welcome!
I can’t help with your transport from Kyiv but I can tell you that there are people on here who just decided to go without making any plans beyond buying tickets for travel to the place they decided to start walking and who might also have booked accommodation for their first night. We did this, but it was a few years before the Camino Francés became so very busy, as it is at the moment.

At the top of this page there is mention of an App called Alert Cops, used to contact the police for help if you ever feel threatened or unsafe in any way. There is also the ordinary emergency number used in the EU. As a single unaccompanied female you would be advised to make a note of them (as would any pilgrim, in fact).

For a first-timer, the Camino Francés is probably easiest and is definitely the best for infrastructure. You could walk from Leon, as @VNwalking suggests, and reach SdC and the Cathedral. This might give you the ‘best pilgrim experience’ that you are looking for.
Alternatively, you might find it easier to get to Pamplona and to start walking from there, for as long as you are able.
(By the way, don’t miss Calle Laurel in Logroño, for the best tapas!)

You seem young and resourceful 😉
You’ll be more able to deal with the inevitable minor setbacks than many older first-timers on here.
Get a Credencial, (a pilgrim ‘passport’) in the place you start - you’ll need it to stay in the albergues.
You’ll probably feel ‘at home’ really quickly 😄

May you walk with a spring in your step and a song in your heart ❤️

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Open hearts and open minds for me are more beneficial than any significant plans on the Camino, if of course you are comfortable with that.

I think based on this starting in St Jean Pied de Port is going to be what you want, and maybe getting as far as Leon will give you what you are seeking hopefully. Aim for the donativo's where you can - they are the very heart of the Camino and humanness and humbleness, and perfectly align to what you are hoping for.

I wish you a good path and a lightness of foot and heart.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you 🫂
Here’s what I can tell you. I am on the Camino now. All the beds were full in SJPP. All the beds were full in Borda and or Orisson. All the beds were full and Roncesvalles . All the beds were full in Zubiri. I’ve seen a lot of crying pilgrims because they have no place to sleep. In addition, the weather has been very cold and windy so sleeping outside on a bench would be an awfully uncomfortable option. Person would be prudent in my opinion to at least book the bottleneck of the first four nights, if SJPP is where you decide to begin

Hey Nika,

I am also starting my Camino in 2 weeks without a plan- feel free to reach out on insta and we can share insights! @ty.hutt

Also im still debating if Frances is the right way to go since it may be crowded !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are things that I want, but I know that everything can go in absolutely different way. My only expectation is that air out there not to be heavy as it is here. I just want to get out for some time and breathe in full lungs.
I think you have a great attitude for what you need. To be outdoors, breath, walk and hopefully meet some really nice people. I know there are well meaning people who have responded who have no experience as a pilgrim. I read what they write and I know what they say today may be so, so, different from what they will say when they have reached Santiago. People who have walked many caminos who have responded all have a similar theme which you have already embraced. Just walk and be free. I will not even begin to project as to what is in your mind, what you need to ponder, or release from your mind or body or spirit.
Some practical advice.
Use Gronze.com This free website has lots of great information. If you can't speak Spanish I am sure you know you can translate it to your language in Google Chrome. It has distances, elevations, places to sleep and reviews. You can also download the apps Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim. They have lots of information too as well as GPS tracking. Which you probably will not need especially if you walk the Camino Frances.
Yes you need a credential or Pilgrim Passport to stay in municipal albergues or donativos. It is important to know that neither type of albergue, municipal/donativo accepts reservations. They are all first come/first serve. Donativos are usually very simple accommodations, often but not always run by religious institutions. (remember none will try to force their beliefs on you). They are wonderful places to stay and often will have communal dinners so you can share meals with other pilgrims. These dinners can be some of your best memories. Donativos are not free they are by donation. I do not know your budget but please leave something if you can. If you are really tight on money donativos are there to help those pilgrims who are really in financial need. here is an example of one of the most famous and beloved donativos on any camino route:
The donativos are listed with a D and are easily found on Gronze.com
Also if you are on a tight budget you can look for albergues that have kitchens. A kitchen that has everything, plates, silverware, refrigerator, stove etc will say full use in Gronze. Otherwise it will tell you what they have. But remember in Galicia at the Xunta (name of the municipal albergues in Galicia) they have big beautiful kitchens but you can't use them. Why I don't know. :) Municipal albergues are less expensive than private albergues. Many are really nice. You will almost always have a great resource if you have questions about where you are going the next day or where to buy food or weather or anything from the people who are running the albergues.
Be sure to bring snacks and have food for lunch. There will almost always be a place to buy food where you are sleeping.
When you arrive in an albergue shower and wash you clothes as it may be crowded and you want some hot water and a place to hang your clothes. Where really light clothes that are quick dry. There are lots of packing list videos on You Tube and here on the forum. Light clothes and light as possible backpack. Wear trail runners if you can. No break in and boots are heavier and you will sweat more and you need to wear them alot before you walk. You come from a cold weather country so you will probably be fine with a light sleep sack. Most albergues do not have sheets. Have a quick dry towel also. Wear a wide brim hat and have sunscreen. It is hot in Spain. If you do not have or can find the gear you need in Kyiv I would recommend starting in Pamplona if you are going to do the Camino Frances so you can go to Caminoteca or to Decathlon to buy necessary items
As many have said I do believe every one of the posters who have walked on many caminos have said, me included you really do not need to plan. Yes it is crazy the first few days NOW in St Jean. But that can change . If you have not already done this, use whatsapp to write to contact the albergues to see if they have a bed for the day you would want to start. Also you need to go to the in to the Municipal in Roncesvalles to get a bed on the second day.
If they say they are sold out then leave early from St, Jean. They will have beds for people who do not reserve ahead of time. But I have read by 2 or 230PM those beds are gone. So go early. It is a long and hard day.
Finally my only walking advice is listen to your body not your head. Your body will tell you when to walk, when to rest and when to eat. If you have walked 20 kilometers for example, and you feel pretty good, but the next albergue is 6 kilometers I would say stay where you are. Those last 6 kilometers could end up being harder than the first 20. Finally find your walking rhythm. Stay with that rhythm. Your body will thank you and you will tire less easily. Just go.
Remember you own your feelings and what you are willing to talk about or keep private. It is not rude at all to tell someone what you will and will not discuss. I would not dare project what you have experienced but I am sure you will be fine. You are young, strong and resourceful. Buen Camino

2-3 weeks....Pamplona is a nice starting place. Or you can just start in Leon or Sarria and take your time getting to Santiago. Starting in Sarria with 2-3 weeks is more than enough time to get to Santiago. That would give you more time to stop along the way and just relax in nature. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess from my belfry I will say that regardless of where one starts I will NEVER "not have any7 plans". Weirdly enough - not having a plan is "a plan". And that said, I am sorry there is no such thing. even saying get up and go walking as far as feet carry you and stop to eat when you are hungry is a plan!
Given the crazy influx of Pilgrims descending on CF as locust on the fields of Egypt - I would say book everything as far as you can and then walk with no worries and a peace of mind.
Its a long way to come to Camino from Ukraine and find out you'll have issues!

Nika
You will find a lot of helpful info on this forum. Welcome to the community.
As Mary Colwell notes in her recent book about a winter Camino pilgrimage during Covid (“The Gathering Place”), “people (on pilgrimages) are searching for meaning and affirmation as life becomes ever more alienating.” This sounds like you.
With only 2-3 weeks I suggest you avoid the current chaos of starting in SJPdP or the crowded parade atmosphere from Sarria to SdC and consider starting in Burgos where finding a room should be less stressful. Many avoid the Meseta (“lush and green in the spring”) but I embraced it. As Alison Raju noted, “You will find it extremely tedious or, if you like undulating expanses reaching out to infinity in all directions, hauntingly beautiful, especially in the early morning light. Although far renmoved from the noise of ‘civilization’ it is far from silent; you will soon be aware of just how much sound is produced by the wind, insects, birds and grass.” No doubt you will meet a “Camino world family” and get to experience the camaraderie and good will that still remains in humanity. Buena suerte and Buen Camino.

If starting in St Jean pied de Port, even though everyone is saying that everything is full at the moment, isn't it still ok to get a bed in the municipal albergue if, for example, getting a night train from Paris and arrives at SJPP in the morning... ? I arrived 2pm in Sept 10, 2023 and still got a bed...

I guess from my belfry I will say that regardless of where one starts I will NEVER "not have any7 plans". Weirdly enough - not having a plan is "a plan". And that said, I am sorry there is no such thing. even saying get up and go walking as far as feet carry you and stop to eat when you are hungry is a plan!
I had been puzzling over how to make this very point, although I might call walking until one is hungry or tired more a strategy. There are other 'strategies' that I find useful because they allow me to tailor what I do next to the circumstances at the time. If you are walking without booked accommodation, one I find useful is how I want to respond if I walk up to an albergue that is full. It goes like this:
  • Step 1: check where the next albergue is, and if it is within walking distance, contact them to see if they still have free beds, if not, repeat.
  • Step 2: when I find an albergue with free beds, see if they will hold a bed for me, otherwise just let them know that I am on my way and when I expect to arrive.
  • Step 3: if there is nothing within walking distance going forward, and there is a local taxi service, consider looking a bit further forward or to one or other side of the camino route.
  • Step 4: look for a hotel!
The point is that you want to avoid the distress of thinking you have nowhere to stay just because the albergue that you have reached has no bed available. I have never found that to be true. This approach means that I don't spend time commiserating about what has happened, but can start quickly to do something about it.

I have only ever had to resort to Step 3 once, and chose to go to Step 4 on one other occasion on the Camino. The furthest I have had to walk on to find accommodation in Spain was about 5 km, although I have had to walk on for 8 or 9 km elsewhere.

Last edited:

Thank you 🫂
No plan survives first contact with the camino.

Thank you 🫂
Absolutely best plan is no plan.feel free do what you want distance wise as it's your first time you will be unsure about things but after few days you will be like a old veteran like myself.ive been doing Camino's now for 15 years and start from Pamplona this year to Astorga only.but as I have got older and less brave I now prebook my reservation so I can take my time on trail everyday as I'm now approaching 73yrs young.go and enjoy this wonderful experience you will not regret it.Buen Camino lets know how you get on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It might help to know that on the Camino Frances (CF), in April, a large number of pilgrims start in St. Jean Pied de Port or Pamplona. This large wave of pilgrims can sometimes fill up lodging places, creating difficulties finding a place to stay overnight, especially in the eastern sections of the CF. The good news is that by delaying your start a bit, the wave of people will have moved westwards away from you, reducing congestion and freeing up resources for those who follow. Counterbalancing that advantage is that as you yourself progress westwards, seasonal temperatures will be rising, making for a hot journey across the north-middle plains of Spain between Burgos and León, also known as the meseta. Others on this forum have studied this wave effect in depth and are most welcome to provide more detail on when the wave passes certain areas.

Nika is planning to start at the end of the third week in May. Sure, the Francés has always been busy at the beginning of May, this year ridiculously so. But surely the big wave be will be long gone by the time she starts?

Maybe, but she has found this forum where past pilgrims and even prospective ones have been helping each other for many, many years. We will help, but we need some help understanding how best to do that!
She isn't asking us for detailed advice. Just a little reassurance, and maybe a suggestion for a starting point. I think she has given us enough.

With two to three weeks you could walk from Leon - either directly on the Francés or (harder but seriously beautiful) over the mountains to Oviedo on the San Salvador (5 days), then to Santiago on the Primitivo (about 2 weeks). There are albergues, and the company of fellow pilgrims - but not too much company (fewer than on the Francés). And there is nature in abundance!
I'm with you on this (except, I would give 6 days for the San Salvador and recognize that the San Salvador isn't the best Camino to do with zero planning, otherwise you are liable to repeatedly end up in villages where there is no food waiting for you).

I think you have a great attitude for what you need. To be outdoors, breath, walk and hopefully meet some really nice people. I know there are well meaning people who have responded who have no experience as a pilgrim. I read what they write and I know what they say today may be so, so, different from what they will say when they have reached Santiago. People who have walked many caminos who have responded all have a similar theme which you have already embraced. Just walk and be free. I will not even begin to project as to what is in your mind, what you need to ponder, or release from your mind or body or spirit.
Some practical advice.
Use Gronze.com This free website has lots of great information. If you can't speak Spanish I am sure you know you can translate it to your language in Google Chrome. It has distances, elevations, places to sleep and reviews. You can also download the apps Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim. They have lots of information too as well as GPS tracking. Which you probably will not need especially if you walk the Camino Frances.
Yes you need a credential or Pilgrim Passport to stay in municipal albergues or donativos. It is important to know that neither type of albergue, municipal/donativo accepts reservations. They are all first come/first serve. Donativos are usually very simple accommodations, often but not always run by religious institutions. (remember none will try to force their beliefs on you). They are wonderful places to stay and often will have communal dinners so you can share meals with other pilgrims. These dinners can be some of your best memories. Donativos are not free they are by donation. I do not know your budget but please leave something if you can. If you are really tight on money donativos are there to help those pilgrims who are really in financial need. here is an example of one of the most famous and beloved donativos on any camino route:
The donativos are listed with a D and are easily found on Gronze.com
Also if you are on a tight budget you can look for albergues that have kitchens. A kitchen that has everything, plates, silverware, refrigerator, stove etc will say full use in Gronze. Otherwise it will tell you what they have. But remember in Galicia at the Xunta (name of the municipal albergues in Galicia) they have big beautiful kitchens but you can't use them. Why I don't know. :) Municipal albergues are less expensive than private albergues. Many are really nice. You will almost always have a great resource if you have questions about where you are going the next day or where to buy food or weather or anything from the people who are running the albergues.
Be sure to bring snacks and have food for lunch. There will almost always be a place to buy food where you are sleeping.
When you arrive in an albergue shower and wash you clothes as it may be crowded and you want some hot water and a place to hang your clothes. Where really light clothes that are quick dry. There are lots of packing list videos on You Tube and here on the forum. Light clothes and light as possible backpack. Wear trail runners if you can. No break in and boots are heavier and you will sweat more and you need to wear them alot before you walk. You come from a cold weather country so you will probably be fine with a light sleep sack. Most albergues do not have sheets. Have a quick dry towel also. Wear a wide brim hat and have sunscreen. It is hot in Spain. If you do not have or can find the gear you need in Kyiv I would recommend starting in Pamplona if you are going to do the Camino Frances so you can go to Caminoteca or to Decathlon to buy necessary items
As many have said I do believe every one of the posters who have walked on many caminos have said, me included you really do not need to plan. Yes it is crazy the first few days NOW in St Jean. But that can change . If you have not already done this, use whatsapp to write to contact the albergues to see if they have a bed for the day you would want to start. Also you need to go to the in to the Municipal in Roncesvalles to get a bed on the second day.
If they say they are sold out then leave early from St, Jean. They will have beds for people who do not reserve ahead of time. But I have read by 2 or 230PM those beds are gone. So go early. It is a long and hard day.
Finally my only walking advice is listen to your body not your head. Your body will tell you when to walk, when to rest and when to eat. If you have walked 20 kilometers for example, and you feel pretty good, but the next albergue is 6 kilometers I would say stay where you are. Those last 6 kilometers could end up being harder than the first 20. Finally find your walking rhythm. Stay with that rhythm. Your body will thank you and you will tire less easily. Just go.
Remember you own your feelings and what you are willing to talk about or keep private. It is not rude at all to tell someone what you will and will not discuss. I would not dare project what you have experienced but I am sure you will be fine. You are young, strong and resourceful. Buen Camino
Wow!! Thank you very much!! You shared so much valued info!! 🥹🙏🏼🫂

Thank you people! I was considering changing the route and star from Porto, considering your suggestions. Will it still be a good option for the first Camino? Is it crowded or safe? Thank you 🌙🥹🙏🏼

Since the France route is super over crowded, maybe Portugeese is a better option.

Even though my teacher insisted on France from spiritual point of view

Thank you people! I was considering changing the route and star from Porto, considering your suggestions. Will it still be a good option for the first Camino? Is it crowded or safe? Thank you 🌙🥹🙏🏼
Porto is also a great option for a first Camino, especially for someone with just two or three weeks. In fact, for that length of time it is the route I tend to suggest. I can't speak to how crowded it is right now, though. It is second in popularity after the Frances.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Porto is also a great option for a first Camino, especially for someone with just two or three weeks. In fact, for that length of time it is the route I tend to suggest. I can't speak to how crowded it is right now, though. It is second in popularity after the Frances.
Thank you 🫂

I will try to do a research of all the suggested routes here.

You’re all so nice and helpful! Thank you

I have not done the Portuguese Camino, and actually only ever having walked the CF I am certainly no expert.

But, of course, we don't like those things to get in the way.

So, IMHO I do not think you will get what you are looking for on the Portuguese. Timewise sure it fits the bill, and I have no doubt it is very nice, but I don't think you will get that expansive and immersive experience with sweeping vistas, and the kind of pilgrim experience as on the CF that you are looking for.

Since the France route is super over crowded, maybe Portugeese is a better option.

Even though my teacher insisted on France from spiritual point of view
The Francés is a wonderful first time camino. From a pilgrimage point of view, all roads lead to Santiago. So you have choice. The Primitivo is very natural but with pilgrims too. And it starts in Oviedo, which was also a big pilgrimage place in Medieval times. It's a beautiful place in its own right.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also, consider starting in Astorga. You would walk 3 or 4 days on the Camino Frances until Ponferrada. At that point you can decide whether you want to continue on the Frances to Santiago (maybe 9 more days), or if you prefer more quiet and want to walk the Invierno for (9-12) days to Santiago.

That would give you the experience on the Camino Frances, give you a chance to meet people and understand your own personal style of being on the Camino, and still give you an opportunity to move away from the crowds on a well-supported route.

If you have extra time after arrival in Santiago, you can walk on to Finisterre.

I have not done the Portuguese Camino, and actually only ever having walked the CF I am certainly no expert.

So, IMHO I do not think you will get what you are looking for on the Portuguese. Timewise sure it fits the bill, and I have no doubt it is very nice, but I don't think you will get that expansive and immersive experience with sweeping vistas, and the kind of pilgrim experience as on the CF that you are looking for.
Of course, you are right. There are no expansive views with sweeping vistas on the Portugues.
20181009_113410.jpg

20181006_082620.jpg

Also, consider starting in Astorga. You would walk 3 or 4 days on the Camino Frances until Ponferrada. At that point you can decide whether you want to continue on the Frances to Santiago (maybe 9 more days), or if you prefer more quiet and want to walk the Invierno for (9-12) days to Santiago.

That would give you the experience on the Camino Frances, give you a chance to meet people and understand your own personal style of being on the Camino, and still give you an opportunity to move away from the crowds on a well-supported route.
Good idea!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
She isn't asking us for detailed advice. Just a little reassurance, and maybe a suggestion for a starting point. I think she has given us enough.
She may not be asking for detailed advice, but she asked for more than just a starting point. Asking about whether one would be able to stay in albergues without booking raised in my mind whether it was her intent to walk as a pilgrim, and obtain a credential, which would be required for her to stay in many albergues. One of the conditions for that is to have the goal of reaching the Cathedral of Santiago.

I think most regular participants in the forum will know that this condition is self-regulated, and one of the easiest for people seeking cheap accommodation to abuse. Even those walking with a spiritual intent or an attitude of search for meaning in their life, but who don't intend to visit the tomb of the saint might be seen to be abusing the Christian hospitality of the many individuals and organisations whose purpose is supporting those undertaking the Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

If this seems too deeply philosophical, it is worth noting that there are forum members who can recount being refused the credential because they were deemed not to have met the conditions for its issue. Today we are allowed to make that assessment ourselves. Perhaps some do so more lightly than others, but nonetheless, we should, because by using the credential we have agreed to the conditions of having it provided to us.

I don't need to know what assessment @naikeosa makes. If I were a hospitalero, my concern would be that she has a credential that demonstrates that she intends to go to Santiago. As a fellow pilgrim, I don't need to know whether she is even carrying a credencial. If she is walking as a pilgrim, that is sufficient. Even if she were just walking, she would get the same courtesies and support as I would give to anyone else I met along the way.

This has been covered but the most important thing is to get the credential/pilgrim passport so you can stay at albergues. Make sure to start in a town that has somewhere you can get one. I think Porto is also a great place to start, I did that last year. I am so happy you are able to leave the Ukraine and take this journey for yourself. I can only imagine how difficult the last few years have been in your homeland. I hope the Camino is respite from all that is going on in the Ukraine.

that she has a credential that demonstrates that she intends to go to Santiago
A credential does not demonstrate that you intend to go to Santiago.
A credential demonstrates that you intend to go in municipal and donativos.

Last edited:
A credential does not demonstrate that you intend to go to Santiago.
A credential demonstrates that you intend to go in municipal and donativos.
I have many credencials, several now complete and one waiting to accompany me on my next Camino de Santiago. All those issued since 2016 have some form or other of a Spanish phrase 'El Sepulcro del Apostal, meta de la Pregrinacion Jacobea' or an equivalent Portuguese phrase on the one I obtained in Porto. The first condition that pilgrims accept by presenting the Credential is that we are making the pilgrimage with a Christian sentiment, even if it is only with an attitude of search. You might mealy-mouth all you wish, but I have a simple understanding about these matters, and I think that it is clear that someone presenting the credencial to a hospitalero is stating by doing so that their goal is to visit the tomb of St James.

I have been a hospitalero, and my take was equally simple. If you presented a credential, you were welcome. I never faced the circumstance where anyone behaved in such a way that I even had to think twice about that. Some may recall that there has been at least one time recently where individuals were asked not to attempt to stay in one association's albergues. I am glad that I haven't been placed in that position, either as a pilgrim or as a hospitalero.

Last edited:

This is not meant to be insulting but it is definitely a criticism. How can you possibly make a judgement of what you will see, feel, experience or people you meet even if you are walking the same camino that has been walked before. I think it is irresponsible to comment on what will happen to anyone on a camino that you have no idea or knowledge of and then extrapolatie your ignorance about something to advice someone what they should or should not do. Sorry but when you are advising someone else, especially someone who has had experiences that virtually none of us have had saying something like I am no expert but I will throw in my opinion because who cares if no knowledge or expertise should stand in the way of giving advice based on air because my ego dictates me to do so.
Amazing, immersive experiences and "sweeping vistas" can be found on any camino at any time. Maybe our new pilgrim friend from the Ukraine would find the incredible vistas of the Atlantic Ocean, the sounds of the waves crashing against rocks, the absolutely incredible generosity and kindness of the Portugese people (I have traveled the world and I know my opinion is shared by many that the Portuguse. people are incredible). Who knows who she may meet on the CP (and this can hold true of any camino) that she feels such a strong kinship that she makes a profound and lasting bond that helps in whatever process she is going through. None of us have any idea of this as she has chosen not to share it. I walked the CP in 2017 with one of my dearest friends who had recently lost his beautiful daughter. I knew her since she was a child and she was a fantastic person. A few days into the camino we met a guy in an albergue who snored and made some noise and was a little annoying to say the least. Later that day I was walking ahead of my friend and I saw him talking to this man. Something came over me and I told myself I should leave them alone. They walked for a few more days together until he split for Fatima. My friend told me that he had lost a son who was playing in the front yard with this man and the boy's twin brother. A drunk driver came up in the yard and killed one of his 8 year old boys in front of him. My friend had discovered his daughter also under grotesque circumstances. Who knew that these two men would meet and form such a deep connection and would discuss things they dared not talk about before. I tell this story not for affect but to repudiate the notion that deep and even life changing experiences can be found on any camino.
I tried to walk the Espiritual Variante last fall but the torrential rains that all of us experienced in November made it an ill advised venture according to locals. I have read extensively here and in other places and seen photos of this variant. Many have said that this path may be the most beautiful of any camino. Did you know of this?
So please in the future, talk all you want about your experience, it is valid and it is yours. Give your knowledge of what you learned that could be useful. But all advice should be coming from a source of knowledge not supposition.

Thank you 🫂

I will try to do a research of all the suggested routes here.

You’re all so nice and helpful! Thank you
I think you have received some good suggestions regarding routes. I have not walked the Invierno or the Primitivo but I have friends who can tell you that they are beautiful and caminos you may enjoy. I have walked the from Lisbon in 2017 and loved the CP. I think that the people of Portugal are some of the warmest, friendliest and most generous people on earth. I love them. Last year, my final third of my camino was walking the Camino Portuguese. It was absolutely beautiful walking along the coast and seeing the Atlantic and hearing the ocean all day long. There are some sections where you can walk into the woods above the Atlantic to get some forest beauty as well as more sweeping panoramic views of the Atlantic. It is an easy camino to walk. There are lots of places to stay. The food is good and I am sure you will meet wonderful pilgrims like you would on any other camino. In Portugal you will walk on alot of boardwalk, some asphalt and some wooded dirt, gravel and rocky trails. But mostly boardwalk wood and asphalt.
The central route from Porto has some beautiful sections in it. The downside is you walk on alot of cobblestones and along alot of busy roads. But there is great infrastructure.
One suggestion you may want to investigate is the Espiritual Variante. There is alot written about it here on the forum. @jungleboy is one of our resident Portuguese experts and you can send him messages and I know he would be happy to help you. I tried to walk it last November but the rains were so intense that I was advised to wait for another time. I will try again this year. But I have read and heard first hand experiences about it that it is beautiful and for some the most beautiful section they have walked on any camino. So whatever you do enjoy and hopefully be refreshed.
In terms of the number of pilgrims I would not venture a guess but I know it is the second most popular camino. Porto is a beautiful city.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think you have received some good suggestions regarding routes. I have not walked the Invierno or the Primitivo but I have friends who can tell you that they are beautiful and caminos you may enjoy. I have walked the from Lisbon in 2017 and loved the CP. I think that the people of Portugal are some of the warmest, friendliest and most generous people on earth. I love them. Last year, my final third of my camino was walking the Camino Portuguese. It was absolutely beautiful walking along the coast and seeing the Atlantic and hearing the ocean all day long. There are some sections where you can walk into the woods above the Atlantic to get some forest beauty as well as more sweeping panoramic views of the Atlantic. It is an easy camino to walk. There are lots of places to stay. The food is good and I am sure you will meet wonderful pilgrims like you would on any other camino. In Portugal you will walk on alot of boardwalk, some asphalt and some wooded dirt, gravel and rocky trails. But mostly boardwalk wood and asphalt.
The central route from Porto has some beautiful sections in it. The downside is you walk on alot of cobblestones and along alot of busy roads. But there is great infrastructure.
One suggestion you may want to investigate is the Espiritual Variante. There is alot written about it here on the forum. @jungleboy is one of our resident Portuguese experts and you can send him messages and I know he would be happy to help you. I tried to walk it last November but the rains were so intense that I was advised to wait for another time. I will try again this year. But I have read and heard first hand experiences about it that it is beautiful and for some the most beautiful section they have walked on any camino. So whatever you do enjoy and hopefully be refreshed.
In terms of the number of pilgrims I would not venture a guess but I know it is the second most popular camino. Porto is a beautiful city.
After everything you wrote I decided that I wanna follow my intuition. I wanna try CP. You encouraged me to listen to my heart. Thank you.
I know it’s not popular. Mostly people go their first Camino and choose France Route. But from the very beginning I wanted to go CP. and all my doubts were only because of other people told me “you must go FC”. And it confused me. And still. After weeks of research I wanna go CP. so thank you. By the way, I’ve never heard about Espiritual Variante.
It sounds interesting.

After everything you wrote I decided that I wanna follow my intuition. I wanna try CP. You encouraged me to listen to my heart. Thank you.
I know it’s not popular. Mostly people go their first Camino and choose France Route. But from the very beginning I wanted to go CP. and all my doubts were only because of other people told me “you must go FC”. And it confused me. And still. After weeks of research I wanna go CP. so thank you. By the way, I’ve never heard about Espiritual Variante.
It sounds interesting.
Here is the link to the forum pages on the Variante. There is also alot of information online about it. I know that the Buen Camino app has a section on the variante with a GPS map and information. I believe the Wise Pilgrim does also. There is a boat you need to take at the end of the Variante. Read up on it. If it sounds confusing ask here on the forum and remember to use @jungleboy as a resource too. WIth a little explaining it is clear what you need to do.

Here is the link to the forum page on the coastal from Porto:

Finally the link if you want to take the Central Route:

There are alot of ways to go in Portugal. Your heart has guided you well. Stick with it! Buen Camino

In terms of the number of pilgrims I would not venture a guess but I know it is the second most popular camino. Porto is a
Here is the link to the forum pages on the Variante. There is also alot of information online about it. I know that the Buen Camino app has a section on the variante with a GPS map and information. I believe the Wise Pilgrim does also. There is a boat you need to take at the end of the Variante. Read up on it. If it sounds confusing ask here on the forum and remember to use @jungleboy as a resource too. WIth a little explaining it is clear what you need to do.

Here is the link to the forum page on the coastal from Porto:

Finally the link if you want to take the Central Route:

There are alot of ways to go in Portugal. Your heart has guided you well. Stick with it! Buen Camino
may I ask what route you did go? Central or coastal?

My first time I walked from Lisbon and stayed on the Central. As I had previously written I really loved it. The infrastructure is far better from Porto than from Lisbon to Porto so you should have no problems. My biggest complaint with the Central was the amount of cobblestone roads. I have to say that it did not bother me as much as it does others. I think this is because I live in Mexico now and the town I live in has lots of cobblestone streets that are in much worse shape then the paths in Portugal. There was alot of road walking also. This doesn't bother me as long as the roads are quiet. But there are some really busy roads you have to walk on. Not alot but some. Remember to walk against the traffic and do not be listening to music or podcasts when you are walking on the road, busy or not. My favorite town of any camino I have walked is Ponte de Lima. I just loved sitting by the river after my day was over. The town square is beautiful. I know it is a tourist attraction but when I was there it was not very busy and the Pilgrim Hostel is a fine place to stay.
This albergue, Casa Fernanda is the number 1 albergue in the minds of some of the pilgrims who have stayed there. I never did because when I walked the Portuguese central I did not know of it.
I walked from Porto last year on the Coast. Loved it also. The weather was brutal as there was rain and at times very high winds virtually daily and for long periods of the day. My trail runners were soaked every day, usually within the first 15 minutes. When you arrive at an albergue stuff your shoes with newspaper (take the insoles out first and let them dry separately) and i put more paper in before I go to bed. You will have dry trail runners in the morning.
It was super wet and it prevented me from walking the Espiritual Variante but I will try again this year.
About the third day I said forget about the rain, who cares, I am on the camino and where would I rather be! I will walk again this year and hope the weather is better but the sounds of the ocean, the people the little rivers I had to walk through, the deep wet sand sometimes too, made it a wonderful.
The two caminos meet up in Redondela. Which is one day out of Pontevedra. After you leave Pontevedra and walk about 3 1/2k the Espiritual Variante route can be found.

For what it is worth, there are several places where you can switch back and forth between the two. I walked among the coast (technically, the "senda litoral" out of Porto and then switched at Vila do Conde to the Central, joining the Central at Arcos, but there are several other places where you can switch from one to the other. The two merge at Redondela in Spain. A little later, just after Pontevedra, you are faced with another choice: to take the Spritual Variant (which as has been mentioned, is widely reported to be very beautiful) or stay on the main route and pass through Caldas de Reis with its hot springs and spas on the way to Padrón. I passed through Caldas de Reis but next time will probably take the variant.

I am doing Paris - Bayonne - SJPP as my opening route from the UK. Paris is a global city so seemed logical.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The CP was my first camino. I chose it because I have great respect for the Portuguese people. And it is still my favourite camino in terms of the trails, the people, the villages, the scenery, the hostels and yes! the vistas. But it does not have the spiritual “vibe” of the CF. I think this may be because the Portuguese themselves do not walk to Santiago. They may sometimes tell you that you are walking the wrong way. That is, you are walking away from Fatima, which is their pilgrimage site. Just thinking, you may want to keep that in mind if you decide on the CP. Anyway, buen camino! (Or bom caminho if you decide on the CP.)

The CP was my first camino. I chose it because I have great respect for the Portuguese people. And it is still my favourite camino in terms of the trails, the people, the villages, the scenery, the hostels and yes! the vistas. But it does not have the spiritual “vibe” of the CF. I think this may be because the Portuguese themselves do not walk to Santiago. They may sometimes tell you that you are walking the wrong way. That is, you are walking away from Fatima, which is their pilgrimage site. Just thinking, you may want to keep that in mind if you decide on the CP. Anyway, buen camino! (Or bom caminho if you decide on the CP.)

Whilst walking northwards from Lisbóa towards Fátima in 2018 I encountered numerous other northwards-walking pilgrims, many of whom spoke English. Chats with them started with enthusiasm on both sides. Quite frequently I was asked how far I was going. My responses that I was going all the way to Santiago de Compostela produced silence and blank looks of incomprehension. It abruptly ended the conversations.

Walking northwards from Fátima towards SdC, I continued to encounter numerous other pilgrims, but they were walking southwards.

Santiago de Compostela is simply not a pilgrimage destination for the typical Portuguese person.

Whilst walking northwards from Lisbóa towards Fátima in 2018 I encountered numerous other northwards-walking pilgrims, many of whom spoke English. Chats with them started with enthusiasm on both sides. Quite frequently I was asked how far I was going. My responses that I was going all the way to Santiago de Compostela produced silence and blank looks of incomprehension. It abruptly ended the conversations.

Walking northwards from Fátima towards SdC, I continued to encounter numerous other pilgrims, but they were walking southwards.

Santiago de Compostela is simply not a pilgrimage destination for the typical Portuguese person.
My experience walking from Lisbon to Fatima was slightly different, but I don't think I saw any Portuguese pilgrims. It's not that they weren't there. A couple of the albergues from Santarem to Fatima were full of cycling pilgrims. It was only after Coimbra that I saw Portuguese pilgrims heading south, and they were then generally in quite large groups travelling on reserved lanes on the roads, and support teams with their vans positioned along the way. This experience is unique to the CP, particularly south of Porto. I have never seen anything like it on any other camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If I go CP, should I buy waterproof shoes? Or running shoes would be better?

I still can’t figure out what cloth to take. Because CP coastal probably will be very hot. Or opposite. Super confused 😞

Hello @naikeosa! I am reading this thread en route to the airport to fly to Porto to begin my own (first!) CP this weekend and am excited for you that you have decided on the same route - though whatever route you settle on, I am sure you're going to have a wonderful experience.

I strongly believe that this forum is the single best online source of information and advice for planning a Camino, and I know that every single member who has responded to your questions here has done so with the best of intentions to be helpful, even if some of the back-and-forth debate can feel confusing at times. In addition to the Camino Forum, I have found the following site to be invaluable in planning my own CP route(s) as well as for providing advice as far as clothing and places to stay:

It also does a good job of explaining the differences between the several route options out of Porto (Central, Coastal, Litoral, Variante Spiritual, etc.), which to me was the most confusing thing about planning the CP vs. the CF, where there is essentially just one path. (Yes, I'm aware of some of the options like Samos vs. San Xil, but those are relatively rare exceptions rather than the rule.) Hopefully you will find it as helpful as I have.

I hope you have the experience you're looking for. Buen Camino/Bom Caminho to you!

@naikeosa - Через особисті переваги дуже важко запропонувати туфлі та черевики, і майже кожен із нас матиме свою думку.
Мені особисто подобаються туристичні черевики (з дитинства мене вчили захищати щиколотки під час походів, тому з точки зору технічної точки зору для мене найкраще це повне туристичне взуття – майже військове), але багато людей цього не роблять. Я б сказав, що вибирайте водонепроникний (я так і зробив), а не те, що повністю закриває ноги, не даючи їм можливості дихати - це було б катастрофою, яка очікує пухирів. Ви завжди можете запакувати додаткову пару або 2 шкарпетки з мериносової вовни.
Звичайно, само собою зрозуміло, що яке б взуття ви не вибрали - краще роздягніть його перед поїздкою.
Удачі та Буен Каміно

Shoes\boots are very tough to suggest in so many ways because of personal preference and almost every one of us will have his or her opinion.
I personally like hiking boots (I was taught from my youth to protect the ankles when hiking so thecnically the best for me is a full hiking boot - almost military) but lots of folks do not. I would say go with waterproof (I did) just not something that fully encloses the feet with no way for them to breathe - that would be a blister-awaiting disaster. You can always pack an extra pair or 2 of Merino wool socks.
Of course it goes without saying that whatever footwear you chose - you better break them in before you go.
Good luck and Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back