• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Albergue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is a bit confusing but I believe there should be a base price, which would be "accommodation only". All other pricing looks additional to that base price. So bed and dinner is whatever the base price is, +10.

It is a bit confusing but I believe there should be a base price, which would be "accommodation only". All other pricing looks additional to that base price. So bed and dinner is whatever the base price is, +10.

I see. That makes more sense. I've just never paid attention to it.
Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was in august there.

I paid 12€ for the night. I think because of high season.

10€ extra for dinner, but you dont need to buy it. You just get a ticket for a restaurant.

There are at least 2 restaurants in roncesvalles, they sell tickets to.

You can go to whatever restaurant and just buy the pilgrims menu for 10€ or whatever else you want to eat on the card. I met a pilgrim, who was vegan, so she didnt bought the ticket. She then could go to whatever restaurant and just ordered something from the card she liked. Because i bought the ticket, i had to go to the restaurant on the ticket and paid the pilgrims dinner with the ticket.

I dont really see the purpose of buying breakfast or dinner as tickets in roncesvalles tbh. Just go to the restaurants you want and pay there directly or am i missing something?

I dont really see the purpose of buying breakfast or dinner as tickets in roncesvalles tbh. Just go to the restaurants you want and pay there directly or am i missing something?

Well, based on my experience, you might not be able to get into any place for dinner without a reservation. In October 2015, we stayed at the Posada and had lunch there after the climb up from Valcarlos. So we figured we'd just go get dinner somewhere else after the Pilgrim Mass. Not a seat to be found anywhere in town. After walking all over town looking, and about an hour's wait at the Hotel Roncesvilles, we finally got two spots at the bar. We were able to order some light bar food, but no dinner. And with drinks, I recall it being rather expensive.

That was a holiday weekend, so the town was probably a bit more crowded than usual. But probably not much more than the current numbers I'm seeing posted for the past few days. Maybe others have had different experiences, but that was mine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Not sure whether anyone else is having the same problem with the Roncesvalles Albergue website booking system. I've tried to book a bunk for 5 October, but after putting my credit card details in the transaction is simply showing as "The operation cannot be performed. Transaction Denied".

Not sure whether anyone else is having the same problem with the Roncesvalles Albergue website booking system. I've tried to book a bunk for 5 October, but after putting my credit card details in the transaction is simply showing as "The operation cannot be performed. Transaction Denied".
That happened to me too. I had to phone my CC company to allow the payment to go through.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card has to be enabled for the 3D Secure payment method. This is what the symbols mean that you see on the payment page. It is a standard feature of cards issued in Spain and elsewhere in Europe but apparently not as common in the States, hence the recurring problem you and others have. The bank that issued your credit card should be able to help.

This payment procedure is said to be more secure than other current procedures and it will become obligatory for online purchases in the EU in the future so expect to encounter it more frequently.

3dSecure.jpg

Last edited:
It was May, 2017.
I had the last ticket for one of the restaurants, in fact, the last ticket for both restaurants.
The dining room was on the 1st floor, some steps to it.
The grilled (fresh) trout was amazing.
Wine was almost free flow. :)

We stayed at the albergue in 2015 and 2017 and had dinner both times at Cafe Sabina. There are two time slots for dinner and many pilgrims eat there. You queue up in the bar and the doors to the restaurant finally open and there is a rush to find a table. Both times the waiters seated us with another English speaking couple. The process is very efficient. There are only a few choices for the appetizer and main course and only one bottle of wine to be shared by four people. Last time we asked if we could have an additional bottle of wine, and they said yes, but charged us extra. Since a second wave of people have reservations, there is not time to relax and reflect on the day's activities. The waiters rush us out to clean the room and prepare for the next group. Overall, the dinner was inexpensive and a satisfying meal.

We only had breakfast there in 2015. We got up early and by 6:45 there was already a queue of pilgrims lined up waiting for the doors to open at 7:00 am. Once again there was a rush to stand in line to have breakfast (toast and jam, coffee con leche, orange juice). There were only two servers so it took forever to get breakfast and the tables were jammed. During our 2017 camino, we skipped breakfast and found a nice place to eat in Burgette. We're staying in Hotel Roncesvalles, but their breakfast is 10 euros each, so we'll grab a bite in Bugette again.

Bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anniesantiago, the price of your bed depends on where you get a bed. The beds in the renovated building are 12 euro and if you make an online reservation you will have your bed there. If you don't have a reservation and the beds in the renovated building are all full you can get a bed in the Dependencia (the 'winter-albergue'). These beds are cheaper (I'm not sure whether it is 8 or 10 Euro). So the prices of the meals as mentioned in your post are in addition of the price of your bed.

I managed to book yesterday

Anniesantiago, the price of your bed depends on where you get a bed. The beds in the renovated building are 12 euro and if you make an online reservation you will have your bed there. If you don't have a reservation and the beds in the renovated building are all full you can get a bed in the Dependencia (the 'winter-albergue'). These beds are cheaper (I'm not sure whether it is 8 or 10 Euro). So the prices of the meals as mentioned in your post are in addition of the price of your bed.

Thank you.
There is some confusion on some of the forums about how many beds are in Roncesvalles.
Can you tell me?
And how many of those can be booked ahead?

Also, are there still 4 buses from Roncesvalles to Pamplona for those who get stuck without a bed?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are 217 beds in total, 183 beds in the renovated building and 34 beds in the Dependencia. Only the beds on the first floor, 72 beds in total, can be reservated in advance.

There is one bus daily (except for Sundays) to Pamplona, but that bus leaves at 9.20 AM. As soon as the person who works in the reception desk notices that we are nearly full he or she calls taxis, these are little buses for 6-8 people so the taxi costs can be shared. Pilgrims are then taken to Burguete or even Espinal.

Am I reading their website correctly?
This appears to be saying bed and dinner is €10.
View attachment 64634
Also remember that the Albergue has tickets for both places that serve dinner. Last year I had a chance to try them both, and I STRONGLY recommend Casa Sabina for dinner. Tables are for four, and they try to make sure that language groups are seated together, so you always have someone to talk to. Service is great, and the food was excellent.

At La Posada, I think it's called, dinner was a very unpleasant experience. Tables are for eight or more, diners are herded in, seated, served, and herded out. "Herd" is the most accurate word, for we were treated like cattle. There was no consideration of language groups; the first eight people in line went to table A, the second 8 to table B, and so forth. From what I remember, we also got only one glass (and the server refused to bring anyone a second glass), so it was only water till the glass was empty and then some wine till that was gone, and then.... The food was quite forgettable and rather tasteless. Their goal, quite clearly, is to get the people first seating out as quickly as possible so they could get the second seating started as soon as possible.

Also remember that the Albergue has tickets for both places that serve dinner. Last year I had a chance to try them both, and I STRONGLY recommend Casa Sabina for dinner. Tables are for four, and they try to make sure that language groups are seated together, so you always have someone to talk to. Service is great, and the food was excellent.

At La Posada, I think it's called, dinner was a very unpleasant experience. Tables are for eight or more, diners are herded in, seated, served, and herded out. "Herd" is the most accurate word, for we were treated like cattle. There was no consideration of language groups; the first eight people in line went to table A, the second 8 to table B, and so forth. From what I remember, we also got only one glass (and the server refused to bring anyone a second glass), so it was only water till the glass was empty and then some wine till that was gone, and then.... The food was quite forgettable and rather tasteless. Their goal, quite clearly, is to get the people first seating out as quickly as possible so they could get the second seating started as soon as possible.
That wasn't my experience at all. I had mostly English speakers at my large table at La Posada, but at my table for four at Casa Sabina two of us spoke English, and the other two only Portuguese. I also felt a lot more rushed at Sabina.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think a lot of it depends on when you arrive, what your mood is, how busy they are, and what THEIR mood is. I read a meme recently that I really liked. For me, it has been true. When I'm in a crappy mood, I can find all kinds of things to complain about on the Camino, or even here at home! I catch myself being pretty danged 'old and crotchety!' I get annoyed when someone publishes "ANOTHER book" or "ANOTHER YouTube video" ... then I have to remind myself that these people are sharing their JOY, and I need to snap out of it. Anyway, here is the meme.

Attachments

• Coffee.jpg
    Coffee.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 50
Thank you.
There is some confusion on some of the forums about how many beds are in Roncesvalles.
Can you tell me?
And how many of those can be booked ahead?

Also, are there still 4 buses from Roncesvalles to Pamplona for those who get stuck without a bed?
I was just in Roncesvalles last week and have a Dutch Camino buddy who is volunteering there now as a hospitalero. He told me they have 217 beds at the abbey and there is a total of about 300 in Roncesvalles with the hotel and hostals combined.

€60,-
I was just in Roncesvalles last week and have a Dutch Camino buddy who is volunteering there now as a hospitalero. He told me they have 217 beds at the abbey and there is a total of about 300 in Roncesvalles with the hotel and hostals combined.
And on a busy day at this time of year well over 400 people can be leaving SJPDP. Some stop at Orisson or Kayola or Valcarlos but most of those then make their way to Roncesvalles the following day and end up in that day's total too. Arithmetic has never been one of my best subjects but even I can see the potential problem there.

In case anyone else has this issue, I was asked to email the Roncesvalles Albergue my credit card details. Though I usually make a point to not email my credit card details, I did in this case, and I've been charged for the night that I'll be there (including dinner and breakfast).

I've watched my CC closely for other transactions, and nothing seems untoward. The staff were very helpful, as was Google Translate to assist with the emails in Spanish :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back