• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Route dilemma

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2016), Primitivo (July 2018), Portuguese (March 2019)
hi, I'd appreciate some advice from anyone currently on either the Camino Frances or the del Norte. My wife and I are due to start walking on the 6th July. We're flying in to Biarritz and could either go to Irun or SJPDP to start our walk. From what we're seeing on the forums we're worried that accommodation is going to be a real problem on the Camino Frances but it seems that the infrastructure on the del Norte is also finding it difficult to cope. We're both 60 but pretty fit and healthy so aren't overly concerned by what appears to be the slightly more difficult terrain on the del Norte. Someone mentioned that the Camino Frances was becoming a procession rather than a walk on the latter stages. Is it really that bad? We enjoy company but sharing 30km each day with 1000+ other pilgrims is a little daunting. We'd very much appreciate any advice and suggestions on routes before we leave the uk on the 5th.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We in Santiago now and so just finished the part that some are describing as the procession (having walked from St. Jean). From Sarria on, we didn't find that to be the case at all until the final day walking into Santiago and that in fact was high spirits with everyone around us. However, we stayed away from the "stages" towns, walked slower than most, left 7 am or later, booked ahead (like most,k I might add. No bed rush for us) and for sure didn't attempt to walk 30 kms a day. We in fact often walked alone for hours. Things may, of course, be different in July. The walk from Sarria on is lovely - one of our favorite parts of the Camino.

I just finished the Frances yesterday an also before starting on 23 May from SJPDP worried about the crowds. Absolutely none!!!! Only booked ahead 2 times an stayed away from main stops for sleeping. Only times there were more people were leaving Burgo, Leon and Sarria but that was more about our arrival or leaving that happened to coincide with weekend days unfortunately. Even so seemed to still lose any crowds.
Really surprised at the lack of crowds for our stretch from Sarria.
Only once earlier on a stage we turned up to find no room in town as an albergue advertised had closed......we just walked to next town. And we were a group of 3 that turned to a group of 5 well before Sarria.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Agree with the above. Some of those stages out of Sarria were almost solo walking. Yes a few boppy school groups but we just let them pass us. The worst were three men in their latter years, one of whom had a boom box strapped to his back with volume on full. Accommodation was fine because there is so much available in the last 100 kms.

I have walked both in off peak times. I would choose the Norte over Frances any time for its stunning diversity; rugged country trails, challenging coastal ascents and stunning sandy beaches. What else? northern cuisine of course.

Although you are starting in peak times, Norte will be less crowded with pilgrims. What you may not get is an opportunity to attend special mass in every town or a 'close connection' to the Camino. On the Frances, there are all sorts of monuments reminding you that you are on a Camino journey. Whichever you choose, enjoy the unique experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply - it's much appreciated. We've been reading about the Frances for months and have only just turned our attention to the Norte and the Primitivo. I suspect that as with most things we'll finally make up our minds a couple of days beforehand. Whichever route we take I'm sure that we'll have a wonderful journey.

Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hi, I'd appreciate some advice from anyone currently on either the Camino Frances or the del Norte. My wife and I are due to start walking on the 6th July. We're flying in to Biarritz and could either go to Irun or SJPDP to start our walk. From what we're seeing on the forums we're worried that accommodation is going to be a real problem on the Camino Frances but it seems that the infrastructure on the del Norte is also finding it difficult to cope. We're both 60 but pretty fit and healthy so aren't overly concerned by what appears to be the slightly more difficult terrain on the del Norte. Someone mentioned that the Camino Frances was becoming a procession rather than a walk on the latter stages. Is it really that bad? We enjoy company but sharing 30km each day with 1000+ other pilgrims is a little daunting. We'd very much appreciate any advice and suggestions on routes before we leave the uk on the 5th.

Buen Camino
The guidebook in English is often very descriptive but not enough facts. It also doesn't give elevation. I and fellow peregrinos are supplementing it with Wise Pilgrim ($1) downloaded on the phone. It has an online map that works if you buy a sim card with internet. I tend to get lost and it saved me many times so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.