• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route surface

Maggie97520

Time of past OR future Camino
CDF Fall 2013, CDF Spring 2014
Hi, I am a fairly fit woman of 57 years and am looking forward to my pilgrimage starting this September from SJPdP. I have one concern about the route surfaces -- some years ago I broke my neck in a diving accident and while a few of my lower vertebrae are now fused, I am completely capable of doing just about anything I want, with the exception of downhill skiing and sumo wrestling. :) I do most of my shorter walks in town and on the trails in the lower hills, but my longer walks of 15 - 20 km are on the rougher mountain trails near my home. I've noticed that my neck begins to ache at the higher trails because I am spending most of my time watching where I place my feet. I use trekking poles but am not confident to walk the trails without watching where I am going. However, on smoother surfaces, I'm golden. I have no problems with aches and pains, just wanting to get a sense of how often I will be needing to watch where I put my foot. Thanks for your insights. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Maggie,
The Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago is very well graded and smooth.
You will seldom need to watch your feet, every step of the way.
There will be muddy bits and sections with loose rock, but these will be short.

By way of comparison, I just walked 14 km on a path where we watched every step for loose rocks, slippery roots, deep mud... you know what I mean. We were slowed down to 1.3 km per hour.

On the Camino, I averaged 4 kms per hour and that included my breaks and rest stops.
No need to watch your feet in those conditions.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

I carried a trekking pole. It spent most of the trip tied to my pack; footing was good enough that it wasn't often needed for support.

The roughest sections were the downhill sides from places like Alto del Perdon and Cruz de Ferro. I used the pole as a brake. As noted earlier in this thread these sections are short.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I agree that generally you don't have to watch your feet very carefully, but there are a few exceptions such as the descent into Molinaseca (quite steep and rocky so worth taking your time). The farm tracks that you will get to know very well are often very smooth with a light gravel, but sometimes have potholes or large stones that you will try to avoid to protect your ankles/soles. Depending what time of day/year you're walking you may also find yourself avoiding the various small creatures that share the route! Buen Camino!

Hello Maggie,

As David notes "you will seldom need to watch your feet every step of the way" walking along the Camino, but that does not mean that this is a yellow brick path either! Roots, potholes, scree and shale can be hidden by mud (or snow). Whatever season you walk where ever you walk it is VERY important that you see the track.

Difficult stretches for me during bad weather have been the descent from Erro down to Zubiri, going up the Aldo de Perdon in DEEP mud as well as that tricky descent on slippery scree towards Obanos, parts of the trail from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, crossing the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as the tricky descent from El Acebo to Molinaseca on shale. This stretch I now avoid completely by walking on the local parallel road.

Nevertheless you will enjoy it all!

Be aware and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you everyone. After trekking up and down 800 meters today I realized that there is something to be said for focusing on the path directly in front of you - it's not nearly as disheartening as looking up and seeing an endless climb (or descent, for that matter). I suppose this is a pilgrimage best done for the love of the deed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.