• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair Carry-On

tominrm

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello, last week I traveled on Frontier Airlines(U.S.) and became aware of their carry-on luggage and personal bag policy. Until then I thought one carry-on is always free as long as it fits in overhead bin.
I have not traveled on Ryanair since COVID outbreak, and I am wondering if the airline has changed(tightened) its carry-on policy in the last three years. I used to travel with my 50L Osprey Althus as carry-on without any problem on Ryanair as it fits in the overhead bin. Because of its shape it is not easy to measure the dimension.
I see a post here that says Gregory Z40 Pack was OK on Ryanair. If I have to pay extra for my Osprey 50L, I am going to buy a Gregory Z40L or similar. My old Osprey normally weighs about 8Kg so the weight is not an issue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, last week I traveled on Frontier Airlines(U.S.) and became aware of their carry-on luggage and personal bag policy. Until then I thought one carry-on is always free as long as it fits in overhead bin.
I have not traveled on Ryanair since COVID outbreak, and I am wondering if the airline has changed(tightened) its carry-on policy in the last three years. I used to travel with my 50L Osprey Althus as carry-on without any problem on Ryanair as it fits in the overhead bin. Because of its shape it is not easy to measure the dimension.
I see a post here that says Gregory Z40 Pack was OK on Ryanair. If I have to pay extra for my Osprey 50L, I am going to buy a Gregory Z40L or similar. My old Osprey normally weighs about 8Kg so the weight is not an issue.
What have you paid for? A small personal item that goes under the seat in front, or a ‘carry on’ stowable in overhead bin (up to 10kg)?

What have you paid for? A small personal item that goes under the seat in front, or a ‘carry on’ stowable in overhead bin (up to 10kg)?
Right. The most basic fares on RyanAir include only a personal item that will fit under the seat in front of you. You need to pay if you want to use the overhead binss.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ignore what other people have posted elsewhere, Ryanair's policies are now very tight indeed and the three comments above are absolutely spot-on. 1) what have you paid for and 2) it needs to fit within the bin at the gate or they will ( highly likely) charge you.

Last edited:
The problem with someone saying that “brand X’s 50L pack fits” is that it doesn’t take into consideration how each individual actually packs their bag. The same bag stuffed to overflowing is very different from a minimally packed one, yet you have no idea which was successfully carried on-board. Also, many airlines now have weight restrictions for carry-on bags, so that needs to be factored into your packing. I’ve carried several different packed backpacks onboard RyanAir enroute to Camino but have similarly seen multiple others charged a crazy amount at the gate to mandatorily hold-check theirs.

The best advice is to be sure it fits the dimensions stated, even though measuring a bag at home can be difficult due to their odd sizes. Don’t overpack, don’t hope that the airline will be lenient, and don’t focus on the one person’s advice that they successfully got a too-large bag through when ten others are warning you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The day that Mr O’Leary relaxes any revenue generating policy will be a cold day in hell. Great value; you get what you pay for to a consistent standard; but read the small print.

It is simpler if you realize that the bag just needs to fit into a box of the stated dimensions.
And unlike someone in the queue ahead of me several years ago who jumped on his bag to prove it could squeeze into the measuring device - you need to be able to get it out again.

He missed the flight; I nearly wet myself laughing. Don’t judge me, he deserved it.

The problem with someone saying that “brand X’s 50L pack fits” is that it doesn’t take into consideration how each individual actually packs their bag.
Also how the pack is constructed. Some are longer and/or have a rigid frame sheet that would keep it from fitting into the sizer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Priority & 2 Cabin Bags: This allows you to carry a small personal bag (40x20x25cm), which must fit under the seat in front of you and a 10kg bag (55x40x20cm) onboard, to be stored in the overhead locker. It also allows you to board the plane first using the Priority Boarding queue at the gate.

Any time I "Prioritized" - my Boarding Priority was bumped up 1 Group, no more. If one is technically in Group 5 and get "Priority" as an 'advertised upgrade' please do not kid yourself that you'll board with (or better yet before) 1st Class Group1. Not going to happen.....

That said since the airlines are very good in trying to push you to commit to a higher fare by sweetly offering you the "included options" I say take couple of minutes more and do the math. Sometimes it pays to buy Basic ticket and then pay separately for checked in bag and the seat of your choice.
I was successful on couple of occastions to save some $$$

Thank you very much to all who replied to my question. Now I have good understanding of Ryanair baggage policy. I have not purchased any tickets yet; I am asking this now so that I can compare the fares with baggage charges included. Obviously Ryanair has changed its policy to charge carry-on luggages even they fit easily in the overhead bin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Obviously Ryanair has changed its policy to charge carry-on luggages even they fit easily in the overhead bin
I've only flown Ryanair ounce, back in 2018 and their policy was the same then as it is now.

Ryanair also charges to have a boarding pass printed at the airport. Non EU/EEA citizens can't use a boarding pass on their phones because Ryanair has a rule that you must have your boarding pass stamped before you go through airport security. So you have to find a place to print your boarding pass before your flight. If you purchase one of their options that includes advanced seat selection you can print your boarding pass up to two months before your flight. I was able to print my boarding pass before I left home.

Last edited:
I have a rucksack that is just too long to get into Ryanair's bag-size frame. It has two stiffening rods in channels in the back of the rucksack. I take them out and place them diagonally in the rucksack so that they form the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle. The length of the rucksack is then within the 55 cm limit.

I flew Rynair for the first time from Santiago to Barcelona. I paid for the 10 kilo bag carry on. I have a 45 liter REI pack. What I allways do before I get on a flight is take out my decathlon bag that looks like a mini shopping bag. I put the stuff I want for the flight in there when I get to the airport. I never checked in as I had a boarding pass and they didn't ask me to put my bag in a bin at the gate. Even if they had my bag would have easily fit. It was mid november so my pack weighed 8 kilos because I bought my wife and kids things. My pack, as always fit into the overhead bin with no problems at all. I stuck my decathlon bag on top of my pack and easy peasy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last time I flew any European airlines in Europe anything you carried on had a charge and if you didn’t pay for it ahead of time when you booked your ticket it was pricey to pay for at the airport. Apparently they are changing towards that internationally too so just make sure that you read all the flight details before you book.

Ignore what other people have posted elsewhere, Ryanair's policies are now very tight indeed and the three comments above are absolutely spot-on. 1) what have you paid for and 2) it needs to fit within the bin at the gate or they will ( highly likely) charge you.
Same with easyJet. Travelled for years with the same Osprey and last week had to pay extra cos it wouldn't fit in the bin and therefore not under the seat either. Time to change my pack for a smaller one or pay up.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Incidentally, @tominrm, you're probably aware of this but just in case - remember that the pack length changes with your torso length. So for example the Gregory Zulu 40 that you mentioned above meets the airline criteria for carry on in the small size but not in the large - it's way too long. The same of course applies to all makes. Technically, my Deuter Futura 32 is at 56 cm 1 centimetre too long, however so long as I haven't fully packed it, it comfortably fits within the bin... and I can get it back out again!. The Decathlon 18 litre day pack that I carry doubles as my under seat bag for the stuff that normally goes in the top pocket, making it short enough to work. I simply stuff the day pack back into the top pocket once I'm on the plane.

On the few, unavoidable, occasions that I have flown with Ryanair lately I’ve just paid to put a large bag in the hold. Everything except my meds and a toothbrush goes in it. I know that that decision is not available to everyone but it suits me. Given their exorbitant rates very little luggage goes into the hold and with their extremely tight turnaround times my bag is usually on the belt by the time I’ve squeezed through Border Control.

I’m thinking of setting up an airline where a ticket to anywhere is €10 but with a variable landing charge depending on whether you want to get out of the aircraft at the actual destination airport or just somewhere proximate. There would, obviously, be a small charge for a single-use parachute which would be available from cabin staff on request

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One additional note is that US carry-on allowed sizes and weights is often different than those in the Eu and UK. I’ve seen many disappointed American passengers waylaid by extra fees and frantic repacking when they are making connections.

Call me "a conspiracy freak" but I have a nagging suspicion that the measuring bins by the gate became smaller 😐I thought I was the only one who thought so.
I thought I was only one with that suspicion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There would, obviously, be a small charge for a single-use parachute which would be available from cabin staff on request
Reminded of the line from Fascinating Aida's song: "If you haven’t prepaid to use the steps you’ll have to f****** jump"
Great song for those not easily offended! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Totally anecdotal, but…
Last fall we flew 3 RyanAir flights, Dublin to Faro, Santiago to London, and London to Dublin. Both our bags were small (24L) and “legal”, but, we weren’t checked on any of the flights, and I did not see anyone else being checked.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you very much to all who replied to my question. Now I have good understanding of Ryanair baggage policy. I have not purchased any tickets yet; I am asking this now so that I can compare the fares with baggage charges included. Obviously Ryanair has changed its policy to charge carry-on luggages even they fit easily in the overhead bin.
A few years ago, Ryanair in the fine print stated that if you weren't EU, you had to PRINT OUT your boarding pass (or they would do it for you for $50), so be sure to triple check all the fine print on their site. I don't know if that requirement is still in play, but as Bradypus mentioned above, Mr O'Leary will not easily give up any way to make more money....

A few years ago, Ryanair in the fine print stated that if you weren't EU, you had to PRINT OUT your boarding pass (or they would do it for you for $50), so be sure to triple check all the fine print on their site. I don't know if that requirement is still in play, but as Bradypus mentioned above, Mr O'Leary will not easily give up any way to make more money....
Yes, I mentioned that in post #13 above. Here's the info from the Ryanair website:

As I understand it, this is meant to keep the boarding process running smoothly and efficiently.

Totally anecdotal, but…
Last fall we flew 3 RyanAir flights, Dublin to Faro, Santiago to London, and London to Dublin. Both our bags were small (24L) and “legal”, but, we weren’t checked on any of the flights, and I did not see anyone else being checked.
The staff have a pretty good idea what they’re looking for.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.