A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Saintly Pilgrims?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
Hello all,
When I walked the Frances in 2016 I noted a shrine to St. Brigid of Sweden outside of Hontanas and discovered that St. Francis was supposed to have visited Villafranco de Bierzo on his pilgrimage to Compostela. Both of these intrigued me. I am an art historican with a particular interest in Christian wayside shrines and am in the initial stages of conceptualizing a paper on saints who made the pilgrimage to Santiago by any route, and shrines and other material recognition of their pilgrimages. If you are aware of other saints who have traveled any camino, either in legend or as documented in history, I would love to know about it. Also, if any one has primary or secondary source texts they could refer me to (I read Spanish) that would be great as well. I promise to post a link to my paper when complete! Thanks! (P.S. Just reviewed a thread on St. Francis that references a 2014 paper. Am intererested in places where tradition says he visited and how these these traditional visits are memorialized, whether or not he actually made the pilgrimage.)

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2011 Camino Frances 2016
I do not know if this is correct but apparently St Francis visited and stayed over in the Monasterio de Santa Clara in Carrion de los Condes. Good luck with your paper

Camino(s) past & future
2035 km of the way to Saint James in Galicia done.
saints who made the pilgrimage to Santiago by any route, and shrines and other material recognition of their pilgrimages. If you are aware of other saints who have traveled any camino, either in legend or as documented in history, I would love to know about it
The only other saint who is known to have made the pilgrimage to Santiago, in addition to Brigid of Sweden, may be Elisabeth of Portugal.

Saint Louis of France made a vow to go on pilgrimage to Santiago but never went. He sent someone else to pray for him and later he sent his mother and finally asked the pope to release him of his vow. I can't remember whether legend or historical fact, but bells in the Cathedral of Santiago and/or a chapel of the Cathedral are often attributed to him.

This source is not the gospel but it's a good place to start:
http://xacopedia.com/Isabel_de_Portugal_Santa
http://xacopedia.com/Luis_IX
Also:
http://xacopedia.com/Brígida_de_Suecia_Santa
http://xacopedia.com/Francisco_de_Asís_San

I wonder whether any of the saints directly connected to the region of the Camino Frances ever went on a pilgrimage to Santiago. San Juan de Ortega, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Santo Domingo de Silos, etc.

PS: I see now that there are also http://xacopedia.com/Bona_da_Pisa_Santa and http://xacopedia.com/Paulina_Santa and http://xacopedia.com/Matilde_Santa. And if you enter San into the Search field, you get a lot more, for example San Lesmes - you may have seen the church dedicated to him in Burgos, just before one enters the old city through the San Juan gate.

Last edited:
Hello all,
When I walked the Frances in 2016 I noted a shrine to St. Brigid of Sweden outside of Hontanas and discovered that St. Francis was supposed to have visited Villafranco de Bierzo on his pilgrimage to Compostela. Both of these intrigued me. I am an art historican with a particular interest in Christian wayside shrines and am in the initial stages of conceptualizing a paper on saints who made the pilgrimage to Santiago by any route, and shrines and other material recognition of their pilgrimages. If you are aware of other saints who have traveled any camino, either in legend or as documented in history, I would love to know about it. Also, if any one has primary or secondary source texts they could refer me to (I read Spanish) that would be great as well. I promise to post a link to my paper when complete! Thanks! (P.S. Just reviewed a thread on St. Francis that references a 2014 paper. Am intererested in places where tradition says he visited and how these these traditional visits are memorialized, whether or not he actually made the pilgrimage.)
Glad you are doing this. Can’t think of other saints that have walked the Camino other than St. John Paul ii ...ultreia!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
Thanks for the very helpful suggestions. I just found an interesting article about about the hermitage and then convent of San Bartolome in Rocaforte, which is cited as the first Franciscan convent in the Iberian peninsula. It has recently been given to the municipality of Rocaforte by the Franciscans. The town (population 40) wishes to restore the building and integrate it into the camino Tolosano. “If the paths and roads leading to it and the building itself can be repaired, it can be integrated in the Route which passes through the cities of Jaca, la Foz de Lumbier and runs from Racaforte to Izco. It will serve to strengthen this part of the St. James’ Road through Navarre, uniting it with the ones in Aragón, particularly with those from Jaca and Zaragoza,” according to a representative from the spanish Friends of the Camino de Santiago. Has anyone visited here?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
don't forget San Roque! His statue is in dozens of camino churches, dressed in pilgrim gear
Ah yes, he was everywhere. But just reading his (legendary) bio, it looks like the pilgrimage he made was from France to Rome. There is no mention of Spain. However, he was one of the 14 Holy Helper saints and was invoked for healing of bubonic plague - maybe why there are so many sculptures of him in Spain?

rappahannock_rev

Anglican Catholic Priest
Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes, Burgos & SdeC 77 (by train); Frances 12, 15 & 17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes, Aragones 18
For what its worth I'll point out that there are two "Doctors of the Church" buried on the Camino -- although neither appears to have been a pilgrim.

The famous one is St. Thomas Aquinas, whose remains lie in the Church of les Jacobins in Toulouse, France.

But there is also St. Lawrence of Brindisi (1559-1619), who was declared a 'Doctor of the Church' by Pope John XXIII. His feast is July 21st. The details of his life are easily found on-line. He lies in the Poor Clares' Convento de la Anunciada in Villafranca del Bierzo.

Camino(s) past & future
Ah yes, he was everywhere. But just reading his (legendary) bio, it looks like the pilgrimage he made was from France to Rome. There is no mention of Spain. However, he was one of the 14 Holy Helper saints and was invoked for healing of bubonic plague - maybe why there are so many sculptures of him in Spain?
You can find statues of San Roque/Saint Roch for the same reason in many other countries and he is often dressed in the same way as Santiago peregrino but it just signals that he is a pilgrim and patron saint of pilgrims and not related to Compostela.

Did you see the statue of Saint Raphael, the archangel, in one of the chapels in the Burgos Cathedral? It had us puzzled for a while ... a Santiago peregrino with wings, a fish in one hand and strangely enough an exposed thigh but without wound ...???

Last edited:

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata
Hello all,
I have stayed at the Monastery of the Poor Clares, in Carrion de Los Condos a number of times from what I have been told he passed there and was probably the founder of this Monastery. They have been there either from the 1100-1200 century

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
For what its worth I'll point out that there are two "Doctors of the Church" buried on the Camino -- although neither appears to have been a pilgrim.

The famous one is St. Thomas Aquinas, whose remains lie in the Church of les Jacobins in Toulouse, France.

But there is also St. Lawrence of Brindisi (1559-1619), who was declared a 'Doctor of the Church' by Pope John XXIII. His feast is July 21st. The details of his life are easily found on-line. He lies in the Poor Clares' Convento de la Anunciada in Villafranca del Bierzo.
Had not heard of St. Lawrence of Brindisi, only of the early St. Lawrence martyred in 258. It would be amazing to visit these tombs! I loved Villafranca but all churches we visited were closed on the day we were there.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
You can find statues of San Roque/Saint Roch for the same reason in many other countries and he is often dressed in the same way as Santiago peregrino but it just signals that he is a pilgrim and patron saint of pilgrims and not related to Compostela.

Did you see the statue of Saint Raphael, the archangel, in one of the chapels in the Burgos Cathedral? It had us puzzled for a while ... a Santiago peregrino with wings, a fish in one hand and strangely enough an exposed thigh but without wound ...???

That is really something! I missed it, I think I was to gobsmacked by the most amazing Tree of Jesse I have ever seen!
IMG_3026.jpg

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata
Had not heard of St. Lawrence of Brindisi, only of the early St. Lawrence martyred in 258. It would be amazing to visit these tombs! I loved Villafranca but all churches we visited were closed on the day we were there.
ST Lawrence of Brindisi was a Capuchin Friar priest. He is buried in the convent of the Poor Clares which I have visited three times. Of interest, he lies in a niche on the left hand of the church in the sanctuary. He is made of wax with full Capuchin habit his bones are encased in this wax image. If you look closely at his sandaled feet. one of the sandals you will see the bones of his foot which is exposed.

rappahannock_rev

Anglican Catholic Priest
Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes, Burgos & SdeC 77 (by train); Frances 12, 15 & 17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes, Aragones 18
I tried to pay my respects to St. Lawrence on my last spin through Villafranca -- but I arrived outside of posted service/visiting hours, and the good sisters absolutely refused to let me in, even though I was wearing my clerical collar.

AND BLESS THEM FOR THAT! It's a convent chapel, after all -- not a tourist attraction.

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata
I tried to pay my respects to St. Lawrence on my last spin through Villafranca -- but I arrived outside of posted service/visiting hours, and the good sisters absolutely refused to let me in, even though I was wearing my clerical collar.

AND BLESS THEM FOR THAT! It's a convent chapel, after all -- not a tourist attraction.
You were refused and we were welcomed. We arrived at the end of Lauds. as we sat there after they had finished their morning prayer we heard a pst; we look at the sisters behind the grill and they montioned us to come over. They spoke no English but did know some Italian and since I can speak Italian they were so joyous and to greet us because we were doing the Camino. It was a happy event for us to meet them.

ctdkite

Camino(s) past & future
hoping
I made a list in 2016. I will review these posts and see if there are any I should add.

https://stjamestostjames.wordpress.com/2016/06/02/saints-who-went-to-santiago/

Blessed Albert of Bergamo

Blessed Albert of Clatina

Blessed Diego of Saldana (Saint Telmo)

Blessed Raymond Lull

Blessed Theobald

Saint Bona of Pisa

Saint Bridget of Sweden

Saint Contardo

Saint Dominic de la Calzada

Saint Elizabeth of Portugal

Saint Famianus of Compostela

Saint Famianw

Saint Fazzio

Saint Francis

Saint Giles

Saint John de Ortega

Saint John the Hermit

Saint John XXIII

Saint Josemaría Escrivá

Saint Morand

Saint Peter Martinez

Saint Rudesind

Saint Veridiana

Saint William of Montevergine

Venerable Baltasár Pardal Vidal

Saint John Paul II*

*JPII visited Santiago de Compostela in 1982 and 1989, though he arrived by plane and vehicle.

ctdkite

Camino(s) past & future
hoping
Yes, he is always dressed as a pilgrim, with the scallop shell, but there is no record of him going to Santiago. It shows how the scallop shell came to symbolize all pilgrims and not just those going to Santiago.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016
I made a list in 2016. I will review these posts and see if there are any I should add.

https://stjamestostjames.wordpress.com/2016/06/02/saints-who-went-to-santiago/

Blessed Albert of Bergamo

Blessed Albert of Clatina

Blessed Diego of Saldana (Saint Telmo)

Blessed Raymond Lull

Blessed Theobald

Saint Bona of Pisa

Saint Bridget of Sweden

Saint Contardo

Saint Dominic de la Calzada

Saint Elizabeth of Portugal

Saint Famianus of Compostela

Saint Famianw

Saint Fazzio

Saint Francis

Saint Giles

Saint John de Ortega

Saint John the Hermit

Saint John XXIII

Saint Josemaría Escrivá

Saint Morand

Saint Peter Martinez

Saint Rudesind

Saint Veridiana

Saint William of Montevergine

Venerable Baltasár Pardal Vidal

Saint John Paul II*

*JPII visited Santiago de Compostela in 1982 and 1989, though he arrived by plane and vehicle.[/QUOTE
Thanks so much for this very helpful list. I have my work cut out for me!

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Frances, 2017 Frances, (2019 ???)

Amen Amen Amen

Camino(s) past & future
That's an impressive list!

Aren't Saint John de Ortega and Saint John the Hermit the same person? See here for example.

As to John de Ortega and Dominic de la Calzada, are there actually any sources that say that they went as pilgrims or otherwise to Santiago de Compostela? John de Ortega is famously known for his pilgrimage to Jerusalem, of course, and both are known for their organising and managing of construction works in the area say between Burgos and Logroño that benefitted pilgrims and other travellers and the poor of the region. I realize that the OP is interested both in history and legend so it does not matter much in the context of this thread but I'm totally fascinated by how legend and history are intertwined and are merged into one narrative and the story of the camino de Santiago is such a prime example.

I agree that John Paul II must be included in any such list, and there are even monuments to his pilgrimage to Santiago and he contributed significantly to increasing awareness of the Camino de Santiago.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Saint John Paul II*

*JPII visited Santiago de Compostela in 1982 and 1989, though he arrived by plane and vehicle.
The "100km rule" was only introduced in the 1990s. Before that anyone who visited the cathedral for religious motives ("in pietatis causa") could be granted a Compostela irrespective of their means of travel. It would be anachronistic to start applying modern restrictions and definitions to past generations.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Via de La Plata (spring, 2019)

I have found that displaying a thigh like this helps one find a bed in the albergues. But maybe that's just me.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-April 2016
Not sure if they made it to Santiago de Compostella, but in Avila on the Camino de Levante you’ll find shrines/tombs of St. Theresa of Avila and San Juan de la Cruz(St John of the Cross.)

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Live - Camino Ingles Camino Ingles- accommodations
Replies
Views

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.5%