• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salceda and O Pedrouzo

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Due to some challenges booking a bed, I’m stuck spending the night in Salceda and O Pedroozo, which are only 8km apart. This is between Sarria and Santiago.

Question for anyone that might have stayed in either place - is there anything at all to do in either place? Or are they typical little villages with one or two bars and little else?

It’s a bit frustrating having such a short walking day, but it is what it is.

Thanks!

P.S. I’ll be sharing the good the bad and the ugly of my Camino when I’m back home. I’ve learned a few lessons along the way, as you might expect…

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Due to some challenges booking a bed, I’m stuck spending the night in Salceda and O Pedroozo, which are only 8km apart. This is between Sarria and Santiago.

Question for anyone that might have stayed in either place - is there anything at all to do in either place? Or are they typical little villages with one or two bars and little else?

Thanks!

P.S. I’ll be sharing the good the bad and the ugly of my Camino when I’m back home. I’ve learned a few lessons along the way, as you might expect…

Only time I was there was in 2011.
O Pedrouzo is somewhat larger with more options.

We stayed at the Salceda Albergue Turístico in 2018. Their dinner that evening was pretty entertaining — the lady who ran the place chatted with the guests while taking our dinner orders. I don’t recall anything else going on in the village. But next day we just kept walking and ended up in Santiago. If you take the alternate route, byassing O Pedrouzo, It’s about 16 miles, which might be doable for you.
I stayed In O Pedrouzo in 2016. It’s more of a town, with restaurants and stores. If you don’t want to walk from Salceda to Santiago, it’s a better place to stay. Enjoy your last couple of days!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks!

It’s less than 30km from Salceda to Santiago. Why not just walk through? Even on a late arrival into Santiago you’ll find a bed

I stayed in that albergue in 2015 and found it to be excellent with comfortable stone wall private rooms, a pool and a good restaurant. I walked from there to SdC the next day, which wasn't a tough walk, but I was younger then of course.

In O Pedrouzo, I recommend O Acivro, where I've stayed on two occasions andf found it better than anywhere I stayed at in the noisy town itself. It is with pool, an ok restaurant and a relaxing garden area.

However, it's little more than 90 minutes minutes to 2 hours between the two and you'd be scratching around for things to do or hanging around every bar between them just to hope for time to pass while doing some pilgrim watching.

I have done salceda (the touristico is very good) to lavacolla a few times. That's a more relaxed day, and you get into Santiago early enough to catch the noon pilgrims mass. Lavacolla has a bunch of choices since it's the airport.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'd tather go to O pedrouzo.It's quite a big town with everything you may need and just 20 km from Santiago.There are a lot of Pensiones and some Albergues too.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In O Pedrouzo, I enjoyed ice-cream at Gelato Limoncelli (especially on a hot day!), and early morning breakfast at Arca Gourmet. You will also pass by a Mexican restaurant (La Catrina) as you come into town there and they have beautiful wax stamps and delicious food! I was there 2 weeks ago. There is also a cheap souvenir shop across the street in case you need to buy a new shirt or start acquiring little gifts. Prices seemed a bit lower than in Santiago. Buen Camino!

I like O Mirador in O Pedrouzo because they have a pool. The cafe on the street right below it, has pretty good food and they open for breakfast at 06:00. There are a lot more restaurants here. Salceda has kinda nothing?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everyone, sounds like O Pedrouzo is the better option to pass the time rather than Salceda. Yes I could just walk all the way to Santiago, without stopping in O Pedrouzo, but there’s a festival happening in Santiago this weekend, and not only are available places hard to find, they are really expensive. I booked a private room in a hostel there for two nights, and it’s costing 95 euro per night. Most places were much more expensive. Airbnb’s were also much more than 95 euro per night. And yes I’m aware I could find a dorm room cheaper, but I’m spending two nights there at the end of my walk and I want a private room. Walking straight there without spending the night in O Pedrouzo would mean 3 nights in Santiago. Don’t want to spend that much.

Thanks again for the help, and thanks for the mention of the Mexican restaurant. That’ll be a nice change from 35 days of Spanish food.

Thanks everyone, sounds like O Pedrouzo is the better option to pass the time rather than Salceda. Yes I could just walk all the way to Santiago, without stopping in O Pedrouzo, but there’s a festival happening in Santiago this weekend, and not only are available places hard to find, they are really expensive. I booked a private room in a hostel there for two nights, and it’s costing 95 euro per night. Most places were much more expensive. Airbnb’s were also much more than 95 euro per night. And yes I’m aware I could find a dorm room cheaper, but I’m spending two nights there at the end of my walk and I want a private room. Walking straight there without spending the night in O Pedrouzo would mean 3 nights in Santiago. Don’t want to spend that much.

Thanks again for the help, and thanks for the mention of the Mexican restaurant. That’ll be a nice change from 35 days of Spanish food.

The festival is the one for San Juan.

The festival is the one for San Juan.

Wow thanks for sharing! I won’t be there until June 24 (Saturday). Would be great if the celebrations - the bonfires - are happening that night as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Planned to stop in O Pedrouzo in 2018, but got caught in such a torrential downpour I missed the town entirely. Saw an arrow, followed it through the forest and landed in Amenal (3+k down the road). Lovely spot. Virtually empty. There are usually alternatives to Plan A. Often better ones!

For what it’s worth, I found O Pedrouzo to be an entirely unremarkable town. Bit of a strange vibe here, which no doubt comes from pilgrims being on their last leg before Santiago. No nice plazas to sit and have a drink, just an ugly Main Street with lots of cars. I won’t miss it. If I had the option I would have preferred to keep walking all the way to Santiago, now that I’m this close. But as I mentioned, there’s a big festival tonight in Santiago and rooms are difficult to find. I’m in a typical albergue in O Pedrouzo, with bunk beds and communal bathroom/showers. I must say this is the one aspect of the Camino I won’t miss. So looking forward to a private room and private bathroom in Santiago. (Not meaning to complain mind you. These dorm beds are what keeps this experience affordable, so I’m grateful they’re available. But that said I won’t miss bunk beds and I won’t miss sharing a bathroom with strangers… :))

O Pedroouzo has a notable church, Santa Eulalia, just a short way (400 metres, 5 minutes) from the N-547. Apart from that, nada.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We enjoyed Pedrouzo. Our accommodation was lovely, we had a nice meal and the trail was a very nice start to the day. Just need to be careful whether to choose the woodland walk (recommended) or follow the road.

It’s less than 30km from Salceda to Santiago. Why not just walk through? Even on a late arrival into Santiago you’ll find a bed
Sadly. mid afternoon on our first day in SdC, we had a really nice chat with a super lovely lady who was camping for the night because they could not find a room or a bunk….

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Favorite thing in O Pedrouzo was jumping in that pool at O Mirador after a hot, 20km walk. Made the bunk beds quite unimportant. Some of the nicest shower facilities are here too.

I can recommend Albergue Puerto de Santiago. Jose Ramon Blanco, the guy who runs it, is a Camino stalwart with a great wealth of stories that will help you while away the hours.
They also reserve several beds each day for pilgrims "de largo recorrido," those who've walked farther than the 100 kms. from Sarria. Good people..

Salceda might not have a ton going for it, but if you find yourself hungry in the area, get thyself henceforth to Casa Tia Teresa. We had grilled scallops and pollo asado, which were both transcendent. Wager that would be the case for pretty much anything else on the menu. Could not have asked for a more memorable last dinner on the CF.

😋

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3208.jpeg
    IMG_3208.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is their new location. They used to have the place with all of the beer bottles that people wrote their names on and then stuck them all over the terrace.
Looks like they started this tradition again along the fence.

This is their new location. They used to have the place with all of the beer bottles that people wrote their names on and then stuck them all over the terrace.
Looks like they started this tradition again along the fence.
Yep!

I have to recommend Albergue Astrar, which is 700 meters off the Camino at Santa Irene. There is a trail to reconnect to the Camino, so you really don't add any distance.

Although it's off the Camino the owner is willing to take you to a local restaurant for dinner, or place an order for pizza and pick it up for you. There's also a good kitchen for cooking, but since it's Sunday we weren't able to buy anything to bring with us at a grocery store. There are only 6 of us here tonight, and we had a great time.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back