• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santander -outer walk on coast, peninsula

dnickel135

Time of past OR future Camino
Jan 2024
Hi, I'm doing coastal walk here el norte this week thrru Santander . Whitson book recommends walk along coast....an extra +5 miles instead of straight line trail to the west. Any comments on this? I'm here to do coastal walking , not a thru walker.

I know there is great coast ahead to west, llanes etc. How does this santander coastal walk compare? Thx , cheers.
Dan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did this alternative in 2018 and found it one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline in the world. The geology is like something out of a special effects movie. I used the book and wise pilgrim app. At that time I had to do a bit of route finding a couple times to stay on the coast line but nothing major. I'm guessing by now the map / apps are updated. It's a long day in to Boo, about 30km as i recall but stands out as one of the best in my memory.
Frank

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walked the Norte from Irun 5 times and I've never done this, and I regret it! (Especially reading the threads @trecile posted.)

The thing for me is that I've never actually stayed in Santander!

Usually that day would start in either Guemes or Galizano, depending on the route I took out of Noja (From Laredo). For me to stop in Santander would be a really short day. I tend to get very bored when I arrive at my destination so early.

I always end up having to hoof it fast like to Boo in order to get there before 6pm (18:00) when my reservation at the albergue there could be cancelled if I don't show up. Because that place is like "the only show in town" its always full (though doubtful in January).

Next time I'll have to switch things up and turn to the right after the ferry instead of to the left.

I've walked the Norte from Irun 5 times and I've never done this, and I regret it! (Especially reading the threads @trecile posted.)

The thing for me is that I've never actually stayed in Santander!

Usually that day would start in either Guemes or Galizano, depending on the route I took out of Noja (From Laredo). For me to stop in Santander would be a really short day.
Then continue on after Santander, but along the coast! Playa la Maruca is about 30 km from Guemes.

€46,-
And the next day? (I am being a bit greedy now).
You can walk to Boo, or farther. I'm sure that you'll figure it out! 😊

I spent the night in Santander, and my stages were Santander to Liencres, then Liencres to Santillana del Mar. Each day was about 27 km.

Nice scenery

20230603_204743.jpg

20230604_152415.jpg

And lots of cows!

20230603_113313.jpg

Next time I'll have to switch things up and turn to the right after the ferry instead of to the left.
Damien, there are lots more options to get off the asphalt on the Norte. Take a look at this thread if you haven’t seen it. It’s some of the most beautiful coastal walking I’ve ever done, but then my experience is limited since I live in the middle of corn and soybean country. But even my California walking buddy raved about some of those alternatives, particularly the Ruta del Flysch and the walk into Ribadesella.

Yes indeed it’s time for you to switch things up. But I would recommend using GPS — though it’s not hard to know where you’re going once you’re on the coastal path, getting from the camino to the coastal paths will not be marked. Even though it’s usually less than a km away, you might not figure it out too easily.

€46,-
Yes indeed it’s time for you to switch things up. But I would recommend using GPS — though it’s not hard to know where you’re going once you’re on the coastal path, getting from the camino to the coastal paths will not be marked. Even though it’s usually less than a km away, you might not figure it out too easily

I used mapy.cz quite a bit when navigating coastal paths off the official Camino.

Hi, I'm doing coastal walk here el norte this week thrru Santander . Whitson book recommends walk along coast....an extra +5 miles instead of straight line trail to the west. Any comments on this? I'm here to do coastal walking , not a thru walker.

I know there is great coast ahead to west, llanes etc. How does this santander coastal walk compare? Thx , cheers.
Dan
In 2022 I walked La Coasta and Spiritual Variant Porto to S de C and loved it. This June at nearly 80 fit and healthy I thought I would walk San's Sebastian to Santander Coastal Del Norte.. I see it's about 250ks. I need to now research 20 to 25 ks a day Auberges recommendations after walking first day San's Sebastian to Getaria about 25ks ......Garry from Australia .

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back