• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prettiest Walk

Jjkbb1

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
If you had 7 days to walk part of the Camino, any part, and you wanted it to be breathtakingly beautiful, what part would you walk?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you had 7 days to walk part of the Camino, any part, and you wanted it to be breathtakingly beautiful, what part would you walk
Hi, @Jjkbb1 and welcome to the forum!

There are lots of beautiful days on every camino I’ve walked, but since the Camino is not a thru-hike but rather a village to village type walk, those beautiful days are always interspersed with days that are not. Days on asphalt, days through outskirts of cities, days through suburbia, days through what some would say is boring farmland — these are all part of every Camino. And for most of us who love walking the caminos, this combination is a huge part of the attraction, because it allows us to really experience Spain while at the same time giving us the solitude of walking out in the middle of “nowhere”. But if what you are looking for is a week-long hike of uninterrupted breathtaking beauty, as you said, I think you should look at the Pyrenees or the Picos de Europa to find a route. The GR 11, which I have not walked, is frequently mentioned.

If you are actually in a “Camino mindset”, the two caminos that I have found with the most beauty (of the mountainous type, if that’s what you’re interested in), are the Olvidado from Aguilar de Campóo and the much shorter Salvador. But both take you on asphalt at times, into small cities/towns at times, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Remember you are not limited to the Camino Frances, or even to Spain.

So many options. Of all the paths I’ve walked thé first week or so of the Le Puy Way stands out as exceptional. Glorious countryside and beautiful villages. It’s quite hilly. Seven days would typically take you to Estaing. If you can eke two more days, you’d make it to Conques (depending on distances you like to walk)

You get to Le Puy en Velay by train from Lyon. And the Compostelle bus can take you back from Conques or to another ‘exit’ town earlier on.

Le Puy itself is a beautiful town with a strong pilgrim ‘feel’ And the start from Le Puy Cathedral is something special - an early morning pilgrims mass and/or blessing to send you on your Way.

There are many wonderful gites and the home cooked food on offer is delicious.

All the best with your planning 😎

PS.
Entirely different - and more rugged than pretty - the Camino Aragones is a wonderful short path. It connects the Arles Way with the Camino Frances - and is now more often being referred to again these days as Camino Frances par Aragon. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had 7 days to walk part of the Camino, any part, and you wanted it to be breathtakingly beautiful, what part would you walk?
This summer we walked the Via Gebennensis and Le Puy camino’s. The beauty for us was found more in the villages - arriving into Conques on a drizzly day was exceptionally beautiful - but the trail itself wasn’t at all a ‘day on day’ of beautiful trail/scenery. We talk about that a lot now that we are home, as Italy seems to have become the Camino we think of in terms of a beautiful trail. It’s damn hard to beat Tuscany.

This summer we walked the Via Gebennensis and Le Puy camino’s. The beauty for us was found more in the villages - arriving into Conques on a drizzly day was exceptionally beautiful - but the trail itself wasn’t at all a ‘day on day’ of beautiful trail/scenery. We talk about that a lot now that we are home, as Italy seems to have become the Camino we think of in terms of a beautiful trail. It’s damn hard to beat Tuscany.
That's interesting. And yes Tuscany is gorgeous.

and @Jjkbb1 - just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lots of great choices - but, it's true that, no matter which path you choose, it won't all be pretty!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't really care that much how pretty it looks on photos. For me, most important is how it feels. And that depends on many things: Route, time of year, weather, personal mood, personal preferences, people you meet ect... It can't really be predicted. A beautiful route can be horrible if you're in a bad mood, and an ugly route in bad weather can be beautiful in the right company, ect.

Could I choose which route for seven days, I'd probably walk from St. Jean again, though. In seven days to Logrono. So many excited pilgrims, everybody buzzing with positive energy. On top of that nice landscape, historic buildings, wonderful albergues and interesting cities with good food (Pamplona, Logrono...). It might not be the prettiest path but the Francés feels oh so beautiful to me everytime I walk. All of it.

The way from Le Puy might win the conventional beauty contest, but for me finding beauty while walking along highways, through industrial areas ect. that many would consider monotonous, boring or ugly, has, potentially, the same value.

So, if you ask this question because you wonder which way you should walk, I wouldn't pick it based on how beautiful others think it is, but to go where your heart tells you to go. Then you have the best chance of finding what you're looking for.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited:
Ah Amigo, we love unanswerable questions on this forum. The unanswerable question gives us so much scope for proposing answers that may have little or even nothing to do with answering the question you’d thought you’d asked.

Breathtakingly beautiful? Try the Lebaniego. Very pretty and with some ascents that are guaranteed to leave you breathless. Or the first few days of the Norte. Same thing, different province. You’ve only got seven days? Just spend them in Madrid, between the https://www.museodelprado.es/en and the https://www.museothyssen.org/en and the Calle de las Huerta you’ll encounter everything that is truly beautiful in Spain and you won’t even get your boots muddy.

Me? Seven days. I’d walk the Ingles from Ferrol, slowly. But that’s what I would do. You’ve given us no clue as to what you would do

I'm told by my friends and family that my pictures from the Primitivo are gorgeous (mostly in good weather). But I was almost unable to appreciate it at the time, due to pain and worry.

I have absolutely no idea of what the OP would consider beautiful, or whether the OP's perceptions would be influenced by fear/pain/cold/heat/hunger/thirst/being lost. (Hint: most humans are so influenced).

OP, if fear of missing out is driving your question, stuff that fear back where it came from. Figure out *why* you want to walk Camino, and choose the route that best answers that why.

If your only why is "breathtaking beauty," depending on what that is for you, then I'd suggest that you don't go on Camino. Go on a hike designed to scratch that particular itch.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I guess my question sounded a bit odd. My friend and I have been talking about walking part of the Camino for some time now and we are both very excited an hope that it is the beginning of more walks that do on the Camino. Our goal is not breathtakingly beautiful (that sounds silly to me now), but we have been reading about the different routes and it has become a bit dizzying. At first we thought it would be exciting to do the last 100 miles so that we could experience the energy and the stories of others, but we have been looking at other routes now, and the more we read, the more difficult it has become to choose. We look forward to the challenge, the villages, the beauty, the weather, the introspection while walking. I understand that whatever route we take we will walk through streets and along busy roads. I just thought my question could help us narrow down our choices.

Thank you to everyone who had taken the time to answer and for your suggestions. I look forward to hearing more!

It can be overwhelming as there are so many options which will provide the opportunity for an experience to treasure in all aspects.

To narrow down your choices perhaps first decide which country you are most drawn to for now - e.g. Spain, Portugal, France - and take it from there. For a first Camino, the vast majority choose Spain. Perhaps that's your intention. And, most often, the Camino Frances. I think it's a great choice for a first Camino.

As to which 'section' to walk when you have a week at your disposal, perhaps consider the ease of getting 'in and out'. Your profile says you are in London - so you are more fortunate than most in terms of travelling to and from various 'Camino towns'. But it's still a consideration so that you don't have to spend too many days travelling.

Or the Ingles - the English Way - as suggested above, may be just the ticket! It would take you to Santiago de Compostela - so, a 'complete' Camino, for want of a better description - with the opportunity to qualify for a Compostela if that is important for you.

Aah, decisions, decisions. All part of the fun. All the best to you and your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It can be overwhelming as there are so many options which will provide the opportunity for an experience to treasure in all aspects.

To narrow down your choices perhaps first decide which country you are most drawn to for now - e.g. Spain, Portugal, France - and take it from there. For a first Camino, the vast majority choose Spain. Perhaps that's your intention. And, most often, the Camino Frances. I think it's a great choice for a first Camino. Or the Ingles, as suggested above, which would take you into Santiago de Compostela - so, a 'complete' Camino, for want of a better description - with the opportunity to qualify for a Compostela if that is important for you.

As to which 'section' to walk when you have a week at your disposal, perhaps consider the ease of getting 'in and out'. Your profile says you are in London - so you are more fortunate than most in terms of travelling to and from various 'Camino towns'. But it's still a consideration so that you don't have to spend too many days travelling. The 'Ingles', - the English Way - may be just the ticket!

Aah, decisions, decisions. All part of the fun. All the best to you and your friend.
Thank you!

If you want quiet forest paths, Camino de Madrid is great - if you start two or three days out from Madrid. Then you also get to see Segovia. Walking into the sity, passing under the huge Roman acqueduct, after days of calm countryside, definitely took my breath away - and I'd been to Segovia before...

Thanks so much for the clarification. Again, beautiful is what the two of you make of it. ;)

The last questions that will help you and your friend a lot:

Do you want to end up in Santiago this trip?
Do you want a Compostela or distance certificate after your Camino journey, either this time or in a future trip?
How comfortable are you with land navigation?

(Gets a lot easier to choose after that ;)

Heck, even Sarria to Santiago was beautiful to this city dweller...especially in the first couple of days, the multiple 'Lord of the Rings - outside Hobbiton' paths you traverse were gorgeous. I kept expecting to hear Ringwraith's hooves... ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So many options. Of all the paths I’ve walked thé first week or so of the Le Puy Way stands out as exceptional. Glorious countryside and beautiful villages. It’s quite hilly. Seven days would typically take you to Estaing. If you can eke two more days, you’d make it to Conques (depending on distances you like to walk)

You get to Le Puy en Velay by train from Lyon. And the Compostelle bus can take you back from Conques or to another ‘exit’ town earlier on.

Le Puy itself is a beautiful town with a strong pilgrim ‘feel’ And the start from Le Puy Cathedral is something special - an early morning pilgrims mass and/or blessing to send you on your Way.

There are many wonderful gites and the home cooked food on offer is delicious.

All the best with your planning 😎

PS.
Entirely different - and more rugged than pretty - the Camino Aragones is a wonderful short path. It connects the Arles Way with the Camino Frances - and is now more often being referred to again these days as Camino Frances par Aragon. 😎
Of the camino paths I have walked, if it's just a week, I would recommend that Aragones, starting in Olaron Ste. Marie and ending in Jaca. Unlike the pass from SJPDP, you cross the Pyrenees at Somport with the peaks, still with snow in the summer, towering high above you. And it's a gradual walk to the pass, not just one day. And Jaca is so special, a perfect ending.

I cannot disagree, however, regarding the walk from Le Puy to Conques, which is a favorite of all the French. They know an unforgettable walk and it's on their bucket list. We just walked this (and much further on the Camino Podiensis) last month. It was glorious. And if your stop in Conques, you don't have to do the steep climb outta there the next day, although I recounted in another message why that led to one of the most memorable moments we experienced on any camino.

If you want quiet forest paths, Camino de Madrid is great - if you start two or three days out from Madrid. Then you also get to see Segovia. Walking into the sity, passing under the huge Roman acqueduct, after days of calm countryside, definitely took my breath away - and I'd been to Segovia before...
This is a great camino, but I'm not sure if I would recommend it as a first camino. You may not get the opportunity at all to experience the pilgrim camaraderie that many find one of the most rewarding elements of a camino and there isn't as much infrastructure and guidebooks or apps that can support a first time pilgrim. I would also only recommend it to someone who has enough Spanish to get by or is comfortable using a translation app to communicate.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a great camino, but I'm not sure if I would recommend it as a first camino. You may not get the opportunity at all to experience the pilgrim camaraderie that many find one of the most rewarding elements of a camino and there isn't as much infrastructure and guidebooks or apps that can support a first time pilgrim.
The Camino Madrid is wonderful - but I very much agree with David's comments.

we could experience the energy and the stories of others,
It's unlikely you will see many others walking ... maybe save this gem for a later Camino.

The Camino Madrid is wonderful - but I very much agree with David's comments.

It's unlikely you will see many others walking ... maybe save this gem for a later Camino.
We did this as our fourth camino, ready to take on any challenges. And there were many, including finding albergues open and who will open them, finding food (one town was closed down for a joint fiesta in another town!), and "cajoling for a meal off hours." In the end, it remains at the top of all our caminos not because of pilgrim cammeraderie -- there were very few other pilgrims -- but for the warmth, hospitality and care of the villagers. No other camino comes close to that. Of course, it helps to speak Spanish.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That was our experience too. We saw very few pilgrims but we felt so welcome everywhere by the local people and some wonderful hospitaleros. 😎
The two best hospitaleros ever: Kiki in Villeguillo and Pepe in Villalon. I understand that Villeguillo has closed, sadly, and I wonder if Pepe is still around.

I think anywhere in Galicia is beautiful.
Sanabrés from Ourense (100+ Km to Santiago) is another possibility.
The Ingles is another complete Camino.
Or start at St Jean and see how far you go - and come back to do more.
Whatever you choose you can’t go wrong.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seven days for a first camino I'd recommend either starting in Le Puy or St. Jean, or walking the last seven days into Santiago.

From Le Puy it'd be even better if you can find an extra couple days and finish in Conques.
From St. Jean you could finish in Logroño.
For the last week into Santiago you can avoid the legendary crowds by ... not walking with the crowds! That is, by staying in the smaller villages rather thanthe main pilgrim stops.

Tuscany and Lazio (everyone forgets Lazio) definitely had the most stunning scenery, day after day. Siena to Montefiascione takes you through the crete sensei and on to Lake Bolsena past both famous and lesser known medieval towns. But when I talked the vast majority of walkers were only doing short sections, and were staying in private accommodations, so there's less of that "camino feel" than you'd have in France, Spain, or Portugal. It's something different altogether - save that for your second walk!

Tough call, and I have only walked 4 routes, but I think it would have to be 7 days on the Invierno.
Maybe the first 7 days, but I think I'd have to stretch it to 8 -9 days.

Ah, but if it's a first Camino......
A section of the Frances.

Last edited:
I'd start walking the Frances if I only had 7 days to walk part of a Camino. You'll find beauty wherever you go but the views will depend on the weather. I have walked the CF 3 times and it was only during my last trip that I saw the statue of the Virgin on the walk up route napoleon day 1. It's only 100 or so meters from the path.. the weather will play havoc with the views.

By the look of the replies already you realise the question you are asking has no definitive answer but I think if you were to start walking out your front door, you would find some beauty soon enough and If you started the CF and walked 7 days, I'd bet you would soon be back for more

I'd start walking the Frances if I only had 7 days to walk part of a Camino. You'll find beauty wherever you go but the views will depend on the weather. I have walked the CF 3 times and it was only during my last trip that I saw the statue of the Virgin on the walk up route napoleon day 1. It's only 100 or so meters from the path.. the weather will play havoc with the views.

By the look of the replies already you realise the question you are asking has no definitive answer but I think if you were to start walking out your front door, you would find some beauty soon enough and If you started the CF and walked 7 days, I'd bet you would soon be back for more
Last May, my wife and I and 20 others from the organization American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) were hosted for 8 days by the Navarra Amigos Association. It was a priceless trip...and I mean that sincerely as they took us to places that are bypassed by pilgrims or even closed to outsiders, like their famous local cuisine clubs. It was an eye opener, but also made all of us want to come back to Navarra. So many of the towns in Navarra were established specifically to provide security, accommodation and food to pilgrims, like Estella or Puente La Reina. They continue to do so today.

I earlier recommended Aragones or Le Puy, but I think all of us feel that the Frances is the classic camino providing every type of pilgrim experience. If you just walk in Navarra, you will experience this. End in Logrono for a taste of Rioja, which absolutely positively will draw you back!

Tuscany, hands down. And I have been ALL over the place !!

Some parts of the Coastal Portuguese are extremely beautiful too ...
Hi. I haven't walked in Italy (yet) or even the Frances, only Camino Portugues so far. But when you say Tuscany, do you mean the Via Francigena trail from Lucca to Siena, for example? Or there is another different camino in Tuscany as well? Would love to walk in Tuscany perhaps next year and want to get clear on a route so as to plan. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I haven't walked in Italy (yet) or even the Frances, only Camino Portugues so far. But when you say Tuscany, do you mean the Via Francigena trail from Lucca to Siena, for example? Or there is another different camino in Tuscany as well? Would love to walk in Tuscany perhaps next year and want to get clear on a route so as to plan. Thanks.
Just Tuscany in general, with some local exceptions. Just South of Lucca is perhaps not the most beautiful area of Tuscany ...

I agree that the Le Puy route is the most beautiful. Don’t miss the fantastic beginning in Le Puy and end up in Conques. The Aubrac Plateau and the fairytale villages are beautiful. Maybe take the Compostelle bus from Le Puy to St. Alban-sur-Ligmanole or Nasbinals and walk from there to Conques or further if you can. Here is my photobook. https://photobook.onelink.me/QDvH/ephotobook?file=YY85r

Just Tuscany in general, with some local exceptions. Just South of Lucca is perhaps not the most beautiful area of Tuscany ...
Ok, thanks for the input. I've heard that the Tuscany region was beautiful, but the OP was asking about a Camino (or Camino-like) trail, and so was I. [Versus walking on any random road in Tuscany or elsewhere] So it sounds like the Via Francigena walk North of Lucca encompasses that "breathtakingly beautiful" quality that was mentioned in the original post. 🙏🏼

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This might help - https://www.visittuscany.com/en/itineraries/via-francigena-toscana/. Tuscany isn’t just the Lucca to Siena stages. I would also say that the Lazio stages that bring you to Bolsena and Viterbo aren’t too shabby either.

I think you find breathtaking beauty on the Tour du Mont Blanc. Majestic mountains all around. A camino seems a different thing to me, not a hike, but an experience, an immersion, and to be treasured in an entirely different way.
Interesting....
Actually my wife and I are fully booked on TMB for the upcoming July
Really looking forward to it 😍

Ok, thanks for the input. I've heard that the Tuscany region was beautiful, but the OP was asking about a Camino (or Camino-like) trail, and so was I. [Versus walking on any random road in Tuscany or elsewhere] So it sounds like the Via Francigena walk North of Lucca encompasses that "breathtakingly beautiful" quality that was mentioned in the original post. 🙏🏼
That is -- Tuscany during my pilgrimage to Rome in 2000.

Several variants of the Via Romea/Francigena pass through Tuscany -- that is what I was talking about, and personally experienced.

Last edited:
I guess my question sounded a bit odd. My friend and I have been talking about walking part of the Camino for some time now and we are both very excited an hope that it is the beginning of more walks that do on the Camino. Our goal is not breathtakingly beautiful (that sounds silly to me now), but we have been reading about the different routes and it has become a bit dizzying. At first we thought it would be exciting to do the last 100 miles so that we could experience the energy and the stories of others, but we have been looking at other routes now, and the more we read, the more difficult it has become to choose. We look forward to the challenge, the villages, the beauty, the weather, the introspection while walking. I understand that whatever route we take we will walk through streets and along busy roads. I just thought my question could help us narrow down our choices.

Thank you to everyone who had taken the time to answer and for your suggestions. I look forward to hearing more!
I do like your reply here. I await the result of your assimilation of further responses. I confess to a moment of - yuck! Why? Prettiest? Find a snail trail. Trip over an incredible crack in concrete, tumbling with amazing bundles of beautiful weeds!
Walking a camino is a doorway in to possibility. Can you deal with that? 👣👣

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back