• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago not overly crowded

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
After all this talk about the Camino Francés falling victim to its own popularity I expected Santiago to be an overcrowded nightmare … which it is not. Far from it!
I attached a photo from Cathedral square taken this very moment at a Sunday afternoon. Very relaxed regarding numbers.

Also, I was impressed how the Pilgrims Office apparently have improved their processes. Took me 4 minutes to fill in the online form (there is also a terminal for those without a phone or with a dead battery) … and another 12 minutes and I had left the building with a Compostela. Thank you! This used to be very different 😵‍💫 👍

Attachments

• IMG_3093.jpeg
    IMG_3093.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1,183
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After all this talk about the Camino Francés falling victim to its own popularity I expected Santiago to be an overcrowded nightmare … which it is not. Far from it!
I attached a photo from Cathedral square taken this very moment at a Sunday afternoon. Very relaxed regarding numbers.

Also, I was impressed how the Pilgrims Office apparently have improved their processes. Took me 4 minutes to fill in the online form (there is also a terminal for those without a phone or with a dead battery) … and another 12 minutes and I had left the building with a Compostela. Thank you! This used to be very different 😵‍💫 👍
Totally agree. I arrived 5 days ago & SdeC was quietest I have seen.
Pilgrim office also a lot
better. In and out very quickly. Maybe more efficient people on duty!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
so the numbers are already much higher this year than last year's record year!
Last year there were significantly less pilgrims from St. Jean than in 2019 and so it was not a record year for those pilgrims. However a large number of Spanish pilgrims walked from Sarria and so it was a record year for those pilgrims.

I agree. Got to Santiago Thursday, big feast/holiday there, and not crowded. I only had one person in front of me at pilgrims office. Noon mass not nearly as crowded as in past years,,,,,back to 2016, and they swung the Botofumiero. Stayed 2 nights at San Martin Pinario, and still quite light regarding the so-called crowds. On my way to Muxia now. Albergues not full.

I agree. Got to Santiago Thursday, big feast/holiday there, and not crowded. I only had one person in front of me at pilgrims office. Noon mass not nearly as crowded as in past years,,,,,back to 2016, and they swung the Botofumiero. Stayed 2 nights at San Martin Pinario, and still quite light regarding the so-called crowds. On my way to Muxia now. Albergues not full.
Leaving for Finisterre tomorrow, so I should arrive there 24th and stay 2 nights. If you do the Muxia - Fisterra loop, we might bump into each other ;-)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was with Angel yesterday whose in charge of the Pilgrim Office. He said on Friday they had 2500+ (Thursday 1900+). He said that's way more than normal so the numbers are already much higher this year than last year's record year! However yes it's not yet as busy as in July /August.
But I was actually comparing to end of April 2019 ;-) … and it felt less crowded now. However, the fast processes at the Office might also contribute to that.

But I was actually comparing to end of April 2019 ;-) … and it felt less crowded now. However, the fast processes at the Office might also contribute to that.
Less crowded now than same time in May 2019 and May 2022 after they had been automated a year.

I will be on the lookout for you. Will get to Muxia tomorrow or next day; then on to Finisterre

We arrived May 21 and had exactly the same experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations to all of you! I totally agree in May 2019 it took us about 2 h 45 minutes in a long and happy Peregrino line in the sun. That day there was the grand total of 1769 who received a Compostela.
Contrast it with 2023 May 4, less than 3 minute wait (this is not a wait) and a total of 2132 Compostelas. Incredibly efficient.
I always love getting a picture of the total Compostelas on day of my arrival.

Attachments

• IMG_2715.jpeg
    IMG_2715.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4857.png
    IMG_4857.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2341.jpeg
    IMG_2341.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2384.png
    IMG_2384.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 48
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What is the best Albergue to stay in Santiago for starting the walk to Finnestere/Muxia please. Family of four for 23rd July

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.