• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Syndrome?

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Several evenings ago, a middle-aged man was found walking the streets of Jerusalem entirely naked and speaking a language no one could understand. It was after midnight and 3-C degrees outside. The police quickly discerned that the poor individual was suffering from what is known as the Jerusalem Syndrome-they have been trained concerning this subject, one which affects Jews, Arabs, and especially Christians. People possessing a strong religious background or those arriving with expectations of a moving spiritual experience, all seeking the Heavenly Jerusalem as promised in the Torah, the Koran, or the Bible are especially vulnerable. The poor, the clergy, the illiterate and the well educated, as well as English and Swedish, and Russian nobility have all suffered. Sadly, while our Jerusalem can offer great religious/spiritual comfort and joy she also has her assortment of garbage trucks, beggars, pickpockets, drunks and far worse. Neither the Wailing Wall, nor Haram al-Sharif – the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa mosque, nor the Holy Sepulture are able to answer these exaggerated spiritual expectations and yearly we witness over a hundred people who find themselves in this unfortunate situation, one which requires hospitalization and removal from the city. The middle aged man mentioned above has not been identified; he disposed of all his worldly possessions as he thought was commanded including his passport and money, Id, and credit cards. It is rumored he speaks something like German, perhaps Afrikaans, but masked with a strange self-invented language of his own perceived End of Days.

I was wondering, is their perhaps a Santiago Syndrome? Santiago is also blessed with an annual influx of thousands and thousands of people, tourists and pilgrims, some with very religious/spiritual motivations and expectations. I have met very disappointed pilgrims who were quite upset with the more mundane aspects of Santiago – an overcrowded and noisy pilgrims mass in the cathedral for example or the plethora of gift shops and overpriced restaurants (moneylenders they called it), people quite irritated and even infuriated but I have never seen one who went over the edge. Is there such a thing as a Santiago Syndrome?

For more on Jerusalem try : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_syndrome#Prevalence

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many times I have found myself wandering around the old part of the city of Santiago de Compostella late at night, almost incoherent, barely able to find my way. But then I sleep it off and am much better the next day, ready to do it again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is also Paris Syndrome, which seems to affect Japanese tourists especially hard. The Japanese embassy even has a hotline for suffers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

As for Santiago Syndrome, I posted about it awhile back. Even though Santiago is the goal of a pilgrim, it also means our journey is coming to an end. We are saying good-bye to all those people we've become close with, we know that we're going back to "real life" in a few days, etc. It's easy to get down on yourself and feel disappointed with all that going on.

The best way to deal with it is to put things into perspective. Remind yourself that you accomplished exactly what you set out to do, which is to get to Santiago. Be grateful for the friendships you made, even though they were short.

Many times I have found myself wandering around the old part of the city of Santiago de Compostella late at night, almost incoherent, barely able to find my way. But then I sleep it off and am much better the next day, ready to do it again.

Thought that was the Pacharan Syndrome no?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I booked flights for my first Camino yesterday. Everyone thinks I've already caught the Camino bug. As it's all I read, talk and focus about right now. I've wanted to walk the Camino for over 20 years. The hope and plan was to go with my husband. He kept saying it couldn't happen until he retires, still over a decade away. In June I was diagnosed with M.S. a week later skin cancer. I've had the cancer removed 4 times since then and Cemo on it twice in December. It was after the first Cemo I told my husband that I would be walking my Camino this year, alone. Life keeps giving me baggage to deal with...so I've decided to pack it and Walk. May 29th I'll be on my Way.

I'm planning to walk my first Camino this year in two parts due to other arrangements before and in-between. Starting in SJPdP on August 12 and continuing from Leon on Nov 3. That is unless I am found walking through there streets of Jerusalem naked, confused and speaking in tongues. Thanks for the reminder about Jerusalem Syndrome scruffy1.

Last edited:
I arrive in Paris on May 28th. My hope is that to arrive in SJPdP on the same day sleep and leave on the 29th. I'm hoping to get to Santiago by June 30th my 52nd Birthday. Nothing is concrete once I land in SJPdP. I plan to listen to my body and follow it and my Camino.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I booked flights for my first Camino yesterday. Everyone thinks I've already caught the Camino bug. As it's all I read, talk and focus about right now. I've wanted to walk the Camino for over 20 years. The hope and plan was to go with my husband. He kept saying it couldn't happen until he retires, still over a decade away. In June I was diagnosed with M.S. a week later skin cancer. I've had the cancer removed 4 times since then and Cemo on it twice in December. It was after the first Cemo I told my husband that I would be walking my Camino this year, alone. Life keeps giving me baggage to deal with...so I've decided to pack it and Walk. May 29th I'll be on my Way.

Buen Camino!!!!!!!! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whoa, let's not take it too far. Did you see people suffering somatic symptoms? Just being dissapointed is not a "syndrome"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Penny,
My experience last fall was that the majority of those walking the Camino came alone. You don't need to wait for your husband, nor should you from the sounds of your physical challenges. .I had a discussion with another peregrino on this subject. He said "if you come with someone, you will always be alone; but if you come alone, you will never be alone." People will move in and out of your journey as you feel the need or welcome the comraderie.
You have set a "blistering pace" for yourself. Read the thread on a recent summary regarding walking time to complete the CF. Celebrate your birthday wherever you find yourself that day - celebrated mine in Pamplona last September.
You will be deeply moved by your Camino!
You will say and hear the phrase "Buen Camino" hundreds of times - and each time you are encouraged on with those words is special. As it will be when you offer the same blessing to a fellow pilgrim.
Buen Camino Penny

Hello Penny,
My experience last fall was that the majority of those walking the Camino came alone. You don't need to wait for your husband, nor should you from the sounds of your physical challenges. .I had a discussion with another peregrino on this subject. He said "if you come with someone, you will always be alone; but if you come alone, you will never be alone." People will move in and out of your journey as you feel the need or welcome the comraderie.
You have set a "blistering pace" for yourself. Read the thread on a recent summary regarding walking time to complete the CF. Celebrate your birthday wherever you find yourself that day - celebrated mine in Pamplona last September.
You will be deeply moved by your Camino!
You will say and hear the phrase "Buen Camino" hundreds of times - and each time you are encouraged on with those words is special. As it will be when you offer the same blessing to a fellow pilgrim.
Buen Camino Penny
Thank you for the encouraging words Thomas,
I stated that my 52nd Birthday is June 30th. The guide I have shows that I could be in Santiago by then. No worries, the only day I have planned is my first night in Orrison. I plan to listen to my body and travel as it allows. I've warned my sweet, supportive husband that I'm not returning until I complete my Camino. Luckily for me he accepts and supports my need to do this.
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Several evenings ago, a middle-aged man was found walking the streets of Jerusalem entirely naked and speaking a language no one could understand. It was after midnight and 3-C degrees outside. The police quickly discerned that the poor individual was suffering from what is known as the Jerusalem Syndrome-they have been trained concerning this subject, one which affects Jews, Arabs, and especially Christians. People possessing a strong religious background or those arriving with expectations of a moving spiritual experience, all seeking the Heavenly Jerusalem as promised in the Torah, the Koran, or the Bible are especially vulnerable. The poor, the clergy, the illiterate and the well educated, as well as English and Swedish, and Russian nobility have all suffered. Sadly, while our Jerusalem can offer great religious/spiritual comfort and joy she also has her assortment of garbage trucks, beggars, pickpockets, drunks and far worse. Neither the Wailing Wall, nor Haram al-Sharif – the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa mosque, nor the Holy Sepulture are able to answer these exaggerated spiritual expectations and yearly we witness over a hundred people who find themselves in this unfortunate situation, one which requires hospitalization and removal from the city. The middle aged man mentioned above has not been identified; he disposed of all his worldly possessions as he thought was commanded including his passport and money, Id, and credit cards. It is rumored he speaks something like German, perhaps Afrikaans, but masked with a strange self-invented language of his own perceived End of Days.

I was wondering, is their perhaps a Santiago Syndrome? Santiago is also blessed with an annual influx of thousands and thousands of people, tourists and pilgrims, some with very religious/spiritual motivations and expectations. I have met very disappointed pilgrims who were quite upset with the more mundane aspects of Santiago – an overcrowded and noisy pilgrims mass in the cathedral for example or the plethora of gift shops and overpriced restaurants (moneylenders they called it), people quite irritated and even infuriated but I have never seen one who went over the edge. Is there such a thing as a Santiago Syndrome?

For more on Jerusalem try : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_syndrome#Prevalence
Hi scruffy1 :)

I heard about this syndrome and I'm interested in its effect.
Do you have any new knowledge about Syndrome and maybe
other links on the subject?
Thanks.

Bota

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A few posts have been edited or deleted from this thread as they were off topic.

A friendly reminder might be timely here to keep to the subject, and any other interactions might be best kept to PMs.

Thought that was the Pacharan Syndrome no?

I thought that was 'Cerveza Syndrome'? There is also a local problem that is very similar - 'Vino Tinto Syndrome' that I have heard of. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wikipedia says Jerusalem syndrome involves "Preparation, often with the aid of hotel bed-linen, of a long, ankle-length, toga-like gown, which is always white."
I did dress up as a Roman on the VDLP this month. Does that count?
IMG_2439.jpg

Last edited:
Well Done Penny
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back