• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Car rental from Santiago to Lisbon

Laura M

C.P. 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2023
I'm looking for the best way to rent a car between Santiago and Lisbon for 2 days in mid-October.

I understand that we'll need to get International Drivers' licenses and that we can get those through AAA.

Is it best to reserve the car now online or wait until we're in Portugal or Spain?
Also, which companies are available and reliable in Santiago?
I've read some posts that people obtain their insurance through their credit card. Which cards offer this (and what do they offer)?

Thanks,
Laura

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Which cards offer this (and what do they offer)?
Only your bank or card issuer can answer this question, even cards issued by the same bank have different benefits and policies.. Their website should have a PDS or personal disclosure statement. Europcar and Hertz definitely hire from Santiago airport. Picking up and dropping off at airports is nearly always cheaper in Spain, and probably Portugal as well. If it is simply a matter of getting from Santiago to Lisbon, think about the train or flying. Tolls are higher in Portugal. They are also notoriously bad drivers. Checking prices and booking online is advisable.

A side note: I have rented a car in Germany (post military service) several times over the last 5 years and have never been asked for an International Driver's License. I have only provided a stateside (valid) one. While I have purchased International ones (always from AAA), they have gone unused. Last time (Munich airport) the desk person indicated that she had no need to see it at all. All my rentals have been for at least 10 days so I don't know if duration has anything to do with it. I do know that I have made arrangements stateside for the cars (most recently a SUV). I'm beginning to think it's a waste of $20 (or so).

I'm looking for the best way to rent a car between Santiago and Lisbon for 2 days in mid-October.

I understand that we'll need to get International Drivers' licenses and that we can get those through AAA.

Is it best to reserve the car now online or wait until we're in Portugal or Spain?
I've read some posts that people obtain their insurance through their credit card. Which cards offer this (and what do they offer)?

Thanks,
Laura
there are Alsa Busses going from SdC -Porto - Lisbon.
Taking a car wil not much faster , but much more expensive

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know it takes longer by train, probably 3 hours or so, why would you rent a car? Is there a pressing need besides a preference. The cost of a train will be much lower. I have no idea what your experience is driving in a foreign country but there definitely is added stress to different signage, and as @dick bird said:
Tolls are higher in Portugal. They are also notoriously bad drivers.
I live in a country now with really bad drivers and you never can relax whether you are on a city street or a major highway. I know many credit card companies are dropping travel insurance and not telling us about that. As I said in a previous post it is buried on page 437b of your user agreement. I have taken the train and bus to Porto (Going to Lisbon is just a continuation of the trip to Porto) and they are comfortable and relaxing. Maybe a few hours longer but you end up more rested with more money in your pocket and you will see the same thing out of the window as you would in the car.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We wanted to make a side trip to Fatima. Would this be possible by train and/or bus?

Thanks everyone for your replies. We wanted to make a side trip to Fatima. Would this be possible by train and/or bus?
I beleave (most of) the the busses Porto to Lisbon (each hour) stop in Fatima. I visited Fatima early May and the Bus, from a portuguese company ,who took me to Lisbon, came from Porto

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks,
Laura
I have rented a car several times in Spain, from the Enterprise - Europe Car franchise up the hill - in the office building on Avenida de Lugo, overlooking the train station. They only ever asked for my US state drivers license - and a credit card.

On one occasion, I rented a car to tour around northern Spain, before dropping the car at Madrid Barajas Airport.

Cost is a relative issue, compared to the convenience it gives you.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
A side note: I have rented a car in Germany (post military service) several times over the last 5 years and have never been asked for an International Driver's License. I have only provided a stateside (valid) one. While I have purchased International ones (always from AAA), they have gone unused. Last time (Munich airport) the desk person indicated that she had no need to see it at all. All my rentals have been for at least 10 days so I don't know if duration has anything to do with it. I do know that I have made arrangements stateside for the cars (most recently a SUV). I'm beginning to think it's a waste of $20 (or so).
Although the rental car companies may not ask to see it, my country's automobile association indicates an international driver's permit is a legal requirement for driving in Spain or Portugal, so it might be worth checking the situation for your country.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have rented a car in Germany (post military service) several times over the last 5 years and have never been asked for an International Driver's License. I have only provided a stateside (valid) one. While I have purchased International ones (always from AAA), they have gone unused.
I don’t know of anyone on the forum who has reported anything different from what you say. Car rental companies do not ask for international drivers licenses (which, as others have said, is just a translation of your drivers license). We have also bought cars in both Spain and Portugal and never had to show anything but our US license.

The potential problem is with the police. The potential fine for not having the international license is 200 €. Since in the US, the AAA only charges about $20 for it, it just depends on the risk you want to take. I have had to show my US drivers license several times to the Guardia Civil during random stops along the highway, but I was never asked for the international license. I usually get one just in case, though, since the cost is so low, though I don’t like giving my money to what is essentially a lobbying organization for cars.

I don’t know of anyone on the forum who has reported anything different from what you say. Car rental companies do not ask for international drivers licenses (which, as others have said, is just a translation of your drivers license). We have also bought cars in both Spain and Portugal and never had to show anything but our US license.

The potential problem is with the police. The potential fine for not having the international license is 200 €. Since in the US, the AAA only charges about $20 for it, it just depends on the risk you want to take. I have had to show my US drivers license several times to the Guardia Civil during random stops along the highway, but I was never asked for the international license. I usually get one just in case, though, since the cost is so low, though I don’t like giving my money to what is essentially a lobbying organization for cars.
Yes, I agree. If I decide to opt for a car rental, I will apply for an IDP. Upon further research, I see that they are required in Spain (and honored in Portugal).

Car rental companies do not ask for international drivers licenses
This did actually happen to me, I think it was Gold Rentals, or something similar, at Santiago airport. They demanded an IDP. I tried Europcar and luckily they had me on their books already so it was OK, except a lot more expensive. The IDP costs almost nothing and it is required by police so I would advise getting one, just in case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
2016 experience (so may be out of date) but we were unable to rent a car in Portugal and return in Spain, had to return somewhere in Portugal.

I’ve taken the bus from Santiago to Porto and then onto Fatima. Afterwards, we traveled to
Lisbon by bus to finish that journey. It is simple, comfortable, and much cheaper than the one-way rental cost of a car plus gas and tolls. Also, realize that you want to rent in one country and return it in another - that may increase the one way fee or be outright prohibited. You do not need a car in any of those cities (Porto, Fatima, Lisbon) nor is it a particularly interesting or beautiful route that would be better seen through a car window versus a bus window.

As for the IDP, it’s required by law. Just because a rental company doesn’t ask for it doesn’t mean you as a guest in another country should be emboldened to break it. Plus I’m the event of an accident or police stop, you’ll wish you had it. Plus some credit card companies will not honor your insurance coverage of you make an international claim if you do not have it.

If you are still set on renting, I’ve used several different car companies in Europe and they all seemed equivalent to me. I make my decision based on price, location of agency, and car availability.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’ve taken the bus from Santiago to Porto and then onto Fatima. Afterwards, we traveled to
Lisbon by bus to finish that journey. It is simple, comfortable, and much cheaper than the one-way rental cost of a car plus gas and tolls. Also, realize that you want to rent in one country and return it in another - that may increase the one way fee or be outright prohibited. You do not need a car in any of those cities (Porto, Fatima, Lisbon) nor is it a particularly interesting or beautiful route that would be better seen through a car window versus a bus window.

As for the IDP, it’s required by law. Just because a rental company doesn’t ask for it doesn’t mean you as a guest in another country should be emboldened to break it. Plus I’m the event of an accident or police stop, you’ll wish you had it. Plus some credit card companies will not honor your insurance coverage of you make an international claim if you do not have it.

If you are still set on renting, I’ve used several different car companies in Europe and they all seemed equivalent to me. I make my decision based on price, location of agency, and car availability.
remember that the insurance coverage can be very different (the amount of the deductible in case of damage)

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back