• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago in July how busy will it be?

Lucky Sprite

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Pamplona October (2014)
Pamplona to Logrono April (2015)
Logrono to ? JULY (2016)
Hi I've booked flights to do my last Camino leg starting 5 July with a friend from Sarria. So far I've walked and cycled in different seasons usually a week at a time and have had an amazing time. I'm aware that the last section can be very busy and noisy. Is this always the case? Any tips for keeping it as peaceful as possible?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
July/August is the main (university) holiday season and the CF is always busy that time, but even more so on the last 100km from Sarria. As for keeping it peaceful - pack a huge portion of patience and humour and apply generously ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi I've booked flights to do my last Camino leg starting 5 July with a friend from Sarria. So far I've walked and cycled in different seasons usually a week at a time and have had an amazing time. I'm aware that the last section can be very busy and noisy. Is this always the case? Any tips for keeping it as peaceful as possible?

It's an amazing last 100 kms of the Camino at an amazing time of year. Every day more than a thousand happy, mostly Spanish pilgrims are on the Camino at that time. I absolutely love the atmosphere and energy of the last 100 kms in Summer, but those looking for a quieter pilgrimage may find it a bit too busy.

If you want to make your pilgrimage quieter (it's quite easy to do), it would be essential to either a) walk through the night (ok, only kidding) or b) stay at small village albergues between the main stage ends. For example you could get to Sarria and spend an hour walking to Barbadelo then continue walking 'between stages' stopping at places like Gonzar, Casanova, San Xulian, Castaneda, Salceda (reserve in advance) etc..This way you will find a quiet Camino and you'll be walking out of the main daily wave.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's an amazing last 100 kms of the Camino at an amazing time of year. Every day more than a thousand happy, mostly Spanish pilgrims are on the Camino at that time. I absolutely love the atmosphere and energy of the last 100 kms in Summer, but those looking for a quieter pilgrimage may find it a bit too busy.

If you want to make your pilgrimage quieter (it's quite easy to do), it would be essential to either a) walk through the night (ok, only kidding) or b) stay at small village albergues between the main stage ends. For example you could get to Sarria and spend an hour walking to Barbadelo then continue walking 'between stages' stopping at places like Gonzar, Casanova, San Xulian, Castaneda, Salceda (reserve in advance) etc..This way you will find a quiet Camino and you'll be walking out of the main daily wave.
Thanks that's a good idea

July/August is the main (university) holiday season and the CF is always busy that time, but even more so on the last 100km from Sarria. As for keeping it peaceful - pack a huge portion of patience and humour and apply generously ;-) Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks good idea

Ok thanks we might find it fun hopefully!

Expect 2,500 to 3,000 pilgrims per day in July this year, most on the Camino Frances. Serenity is inside YOU. Around you will be near chaos, but friendly chaos.
Sounds interesting I'm hoping we'll enjoy the friendly buzz!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Super busy and you will notice the surroundings get dirtier with more litter, trash and unfortunately graffiti.

Oh that's a shame still can't wait though I got from Logrono to Sarria by bike last year during the first week of July and it was much less busy than I expected though it's a completely different experience on the bike. I walked the first leg in October one year and felt much more connected to the way and pilgrims. I also did a bit by bike with my son which was V magical one year. I'm looking forward very much to see what this Camino will reveal.

I just finished the Camino at the very end of May and after Sarria it was unbelievably crowded. I could not believe the difference from 2001. It was mayhem. I would imagine that in July it would be just as crowded if not more so.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back