• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

saving photos

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
When we have travelled in the past we have taken a laptop with us and saved photos from our DSLR camera to that.
This time I don't have the 6 foot 2 husband to carry the lappy and camera, and so I am taking just a small camera. I am also taking an iPhone 4 (and before anyone tells me not to - hubby is happy for me to take four kids on the Salvador and Primitivo ONLY IF I take a phone, so this is non-negotiable) The camera is also non-negotiable for me because it takes much better pictures. My question is how do I keep them safe? I'm used to having a back-up. Of course I could upload to Flickr, but don't want to hog everyone's wifi!
I'm thinking I'll take three SD cards and change them once a month regardless of whether they are full. But is there something else I could do?
I'm not very technically aware.
Also, how many photos will I be able to take on my phone before it blows up? I'm hoping to take a couple every day to use for blogging easily from the phone.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took over a thousand photos on my iPhone 4S and still had room leftover. I also found out that my pics were automatically being stored on my cloud whenever I used wifi (I didn't gave a data plan). I can't even begin to tell you how this was setup or how it works, but I'm sure someone around here can explain the tech stuff. :)

Last edited:
... I am also taking an iPhone 4 (and before anyone tells me not to - hubby is happy for me to take four kids on the Salvador and Primitivo ONLY IF I take a phone, so this is non-negotiable) The phone is also non-negotiable for me because it takes much better pictures. My question is how do I keep them safe?....
Also, how many photos will I be able to take on my phone before it blows up? I'm hoping to take a couple every day to use for blogging easily from the phone.

Rachael,

I have used Flickr ever since 2009. It is easy to open an account and set up your photostream. If you are shooting with a smartphone once you open an account you can then make a link to automatically post to your blog and send the photo to your photostream with one click. All my blog posts while walking are done this way.

As of mid May 2013 every Flickr member has 1 terabyte of storage, for free. (How many photos can fit in a terabyte? Over 500,000. Read this for more info.

See further Forum comments here.

Margaret Meredith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So is the internet connection likely to be good in Spain? I remember sitting for twenty minute for one photo to upload to Flickr in Laos - and even then it would often not load!
It's not the photos on my phone that I'm so concerned about - it's the ones on the camera. As I will NOT have a laptop, I will be reliant on computers at internet cafes or albergues - will I find these every few days or so? We didn't even look last time as we didn't need them.

Is it possible to only use your phone for pictures and not take a regular camera at all? Just a thought. I like my iPhone but i am a "real camera" person. But "phone camera only" seems to work for many people.

Last edited:
So is the internet connection likely to be good in Spain? I remember sitting for twenty minute for one photo to upload to Flickr in Laos - and even then it would often not load!
It's not the photos on my phone that I'm so concerned about - it's the ones on the camera. As I will NOT have a laptop, I will be reliant on computers at internet cafes or albergues - will I find these every few days or so? We didn't even look last time as we didn't need them.
Rachael,
See this recent Forum thread regarding internet access on the camino.

MM

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We took very small cameras and several SD cards. We swapped the cards at strategic points along the Camino and put the part filled ones in with our passports/valuables. We reckoned if we lost the camera, or it had a fault, we wouldn't lose all the photos which was what mattered most to us. Internet access was only in cafes and we didn't try uploading photos so can't reply to that and we don't have a camera-phone.

Most iphones have a post to Facebook option for photos. I would send selected photos (the best) to a Facebook or Google plus account. Google Plus has an auto-save option that will send all your photos to a private album on the web. OR get a new small camera that wirelessly (no cards needed) sends your camera photos to your Iphone. Nikon and Panasonic both make point and shoot small cameras with wifi for this purpose.

But.. if your iphone takes good photos, I agree, just leave the camera and cards behind and use your iphone for everything. Check out Flicker, Google Plus, or Facebook as easy online backup/storage for photos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The phone is also non-negotiable for me because it takes much better pictures. My question is how do I keep them safe? I'm used to having a back-up. Of course I could upload to Flickr, but don't want to hog everyone's wifi!
I'm thinking I'll take three SD cards and change them once a month regardless of whether they are full. But is there something else I could do?

I don't really understand why you're taking a camera if you think the phone takes better photos?

Changing cards is a pretty common tactic. Not once a month but say every few days or maybe once a week. There is a chance (small) of the card being bad. By changing cards you limit the damage.

... photos from our DSLR camera ... This time I don't have ... so I am taking just a small camera. I am also taking an iPhone 4 ... The phone is also non-negotiable for me because it takes much better pictures. ...

If the phone takes much better pictures than the small camera, why do you want to take the camera?
If you are used to pics in DSLR quality you will be horribly disappointed with phone pics.
As for the rest, what the others have written plus consider Picassa and similar Google services, SY

I am not an expert but from listening to those who know more I'd like to say this. It often depends on how you may want to use your photos and how many pixels are in your original picture.. If you're happy to have them in a digital format, then your iphone should work great. But - if you think you may want to enlarge some (or one) of your photos for print (say 12X16 or 16X20) then an iphone may not be the best bet.. Here's a website that you may want to look at if this interests you: http://lifeinlofi.com/2010/08/25/iphone-photo-prints-how-big-can-you-go/ They seem to think print enlargements can be done. Hope this is helpful in making your decsion. Is there any way you could try printing ahead of time if you think that you may want to do that with a camino photo. It can be wonderful having a large camino print on your wall:)
Buen camino. Cecelia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OOPS - big mistake - the CAMERA takes much better pictures than the phone, which is why I want to take it. I'll go back and alter the original post!
I don't mind having the phone pics for blogging but want the camera pictures for other uses. Does that make more sense?

OOPS - big mistake - the CAMERA takes much better pictures than the phone, which is why I want to take it. I'll go back and alter the original post!
I don't mind having the phone pics for blogging but want the camera pictures for other uses. Does that make more sense?
Yes that makes sense, with multiple SD cards for security. We had 3 for my camera on the Primitivo and Terry carried 2. As I said in an earlier post I then put the part used locked cards (in their plastic sleeves) in my security bag, it has 2 tiny zipped pockets so no danger of pulling them out with other things. Had we put them in a computer we would have kept them locked so that nothing could write to them and they stayed that way until we reached home. If we had lost a camera, or a card had corrupted we would still have had at least most of our photos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When we have travelled in the past we have taken a laptop with us and saved photos from our DSLR camera to that.
This time I don't have the 6 foot 2 husband to carry the lappy and camera, and so I am taking just a small camera. I am also taking an iPhone 4 (and before anyone tells me not to - hubby is happy for me to take four kids on the Salvador and Primitivo ONLY IF I take a phone, so this is non-negotiable) The camera is also non-negotiable for me because it takes much better pictures. My question is how do I keep them safe? I'm used to having a back-up. Of course I could upload to Flickr, but don't want to hog everyone's wifi!
I'm not very technically aware.
On our camino Portuges I took over 1300 pictures with my Iphone 4 and another 300 on a lightweight 300 grams ipad mini which we also used to feed our travelblog.
Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
I’ve been on Camino Norte for about eight days averaging around 30 to 35 km. I’ve gotten some blisters on the sides of my feet mostly the pinky toes and one on my big toe. I just came to the...
Buen Camino everyone. First timer here. Going to be starting my camino from porto at the end of this month and trying to find an e-sim that will work in both Portugal and Spain. I will there for...
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
(Not sure where to put this post.) I make shampoo and conditioner bars and get requests for scents I don't have. I'd like to get an idea from camino walkers of which of the scents I make would...
Like a huge number of pilgrims I have an Osprey rucksack (EXOS 38), which is one of the best packs I’ve had over 40 years hiking. However, is it me, or a design fault that re-zipping the belt...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.