• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seattle to SJPP May 2017

caminojune2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning June 2017
Hello! I will be starting the Camino the last week of May 2017 flying out of Seattle. I have to give specific dates in order to take the time off work so I'd like to book my travel now. I have looked at several options and it looks like flying into Paris is going to work best, but I won't arrive until 12:55p and it looks as if the train schedule now only lists trains to Bayonne at 8:19a and 10:16a. Will there be afternoon or evening trains available as it gets closer? If I take a bus instead, do they leave from the airport as well? I've never traveled in Europe so this is all a bit overwhelming and I don't want to book a flight then find that the flight times are not conducive with the train times. Would you recommend waiting to book the flight until the train schedules are up? Thanks in advance!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are at least 8 major train stations in Paris.

There are TGV trains from CDG2, Gare Montparnasse and TGV Massy to Bayonne. There are Intercites (night) trains from Gare d'Austerlitz to Bayonne (via Toulouse). Montparnasse has the most departures for Bayonne.

There are Easy Jet and Air France Hop flights from Paris CDG and Orly to Biarritz. Biarritz airport is 40 minutes by #14 Chronoplus bus to Gare Bayonne.

You will be tired from the long flight from Seattle. There is the potential for delays interfering with onward travel. You might want to consider getting a hotel room in Paris for the night.

There are buses. Try Eurolines. Trains work much better.

Its too early to depend on schedules. Try not more than 90 days in advance for SNCF trains. Schedule does not change much ... you can plan around today's schedule.

From CDG airport you could take train + metro to Montparnasse or Austerlitz train station, but it would add stress if you don't know the system. Prefer the direct buses from CDG. http://en.lebusdirect.com/
There are other threads in this forum regarding this.
If you never have been in Europa, it would be a pity to take Paris just a a connecting point. You may consider it as the first stage of your pilgrimage -tower Saint Jacques is where pilgrims met to start their long walk to SdeC. And it is a lovely city.
Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks! Is it necessary to book the trains ahead of time or since we might have delays, can we just pay for them at the airport when we board?

Thanks! Is it necessary to book the trains ahead of time or since we might have delays, can we just pay for them at the airport when we board?

You must have a seat reservation for TGV and Intercites trains, and a ticket before you board. You can purchase the ticket and obtain the reservation at the station just prior to boarding. There is usually a cost benefit for purchasing early ... but if you're not sure you'll make it ... buy it when you need it.

You don't need a reservation for TER trains such as the train from Bayonne to SJPdP but you do need a ticket prior to boarding. The ticket is good for 90 days for any TER train on the route.

Go to the SNCF (French Rail) web site. You can register your interests - Paris / Bayonne/St Jean - and leave your email address (a gmail or hotmail is ok). They will the email you when the booking period opens. (I have already done this and am waiting for my late April dates to open). If you book around 60 days in advance you get better seat selection and I think a discount for the advance purchase.
If you have not been to Paris then maybe consider two nights - for a cheap hotel near Montparnasse station and have a day in the city of light. Buen Camino!
(BTW I am starting from St Jean on the 1st of May) Cheers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I travelled this route last June. After research I decided the best way was to take the BA nonstop to London and then on to Paris CDG, where I spent the afternoon & night at a nearby airport hotel. On day 2 I flew Easy Jet (faster & cheaper than taking the train) from Paris CDG to Biarritz and then the short bus ride to Bayonne. Then you can take the scenic journey to St Jean by train and get there early in the afternoon and fairly well rested. This worked well for me except due to a train strike I had to go by bus on the last leg to St Jean. I would recommend this route.

In 2013 I flew in Paris CDG and took the train from the CDG station down to SJPdP (changed trains in Bourdeaux and Bayonne).
Since my flight arrived late in Paris I spent the night in a nearby airport hotel, that I got to via a free shuttle from the airport, and there was a free shuttle from that hotel back to CDG airport the next morning.
Going home I flew from Santiago back to Paris CDG on Vueling airlines. I arrived there in the afternoon and again spent the night at the same nearby airport hotel.
The train is definitely more expensive than flying to Biarritz/Bayonne, and takes all day.

I've flown from Seattle to Madrid to Pamplona 3 times in 4 years. Going home, I flew from Santiago to Madrid and then home. I found this route much cheaper and very stress free. I took a bus from Pamplona to SJPP which is about an hour ride. You can also take a taxi. I liked staying the night in Pamplona (Hotel Eslava) so I could easily mail a package of clothes and luxury items to Santiago for when I completed the Camino. Just an idea for you! If you want to check this route out with American Airlines (who I used for every trip) make sure to select 'multi city destination' and just put in Seattle to Pamplona for arrival and Santiago to Seattle for the departure. Hope this helps!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We flew last May from Seattle into CDG on Iceland Air. Got a room at the airport to sleep off a little jet lag and took Easy Jet very early the next morning from CDG to Biarritz . It was cheaper, more restful, and maybe even faster than the train. We booked well in advance. We took Caroline's shuttle from Biarritz to SJPDP.

Go to the SNCF (French Rail) web site. You can register your interests - Paris / Bayonne/St Jean - and leave your email address (a gmail or hotmail is ok). They will the email you when the booking period opens. (I have already done this and am waiting for my late April dates to open). If you book around 60 days in advance you get better seat selection and I think a discount for the advance purchase.
If you have not been to Paris then maybe consider two nights - for a cheap hotel near Montparnasse station and have a day in the city of light. Buen Camino!
(BTW I am starting from St Jean on the 1st of May) Cheers.
Are you walking or biking?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Are you walking or biking?
Hola - this time I am on my two little (?) feet. I want to see the places I breezed through on the bike. There are a couple of spots I might by-pass but in general its the full 800 km. Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola - this time I am on my two little (?) feet. I want to see the places I breezed through on the bike. There are a couple of spots I might by-pass but in general its the full 800 km. Cheers
Ahh. I leave SJPP a couple of weeks earlier. I thought you would catch me if you were on your bike. Maybe not on foot----unless I'm incredibly slow. :D

Hello! I will be starting the Camino the last week of May 2017 flying out of Seattle. I have to give specific dates in order to take the time off work so I'd like to book my travel now. I have looked at several options and it looks like flying into Paris is going to work best, but I won't arrive until 12:55p and it looks as if the train schedule now only lists trains to Bayonne at 8:19a and 10:16a. Will there be afternoon or evening trains available as it gets closer? If I take a bus instead, do they leave from the airport as well? I've never traveled in Europe so this is all a bit overwhelming and I don't want to book a flight then find that the flight times are not conducive with the train times. Would you recommend waiting to book the flight until the train schedules are up? Thanks in advance!!
There are many ways to get to SJPDP so just a couple thoughts. It is cheaper to fly out of Canada, check out the flights from Vancouver to Dublin Ireland then Ryan air to Biarritz. Then Santiago or Madrid back to Dublin.

Paris is definitely worth a visit, yet if this is your first time overseas, it will help if you have Some basic French & Spanish. I am terrible at both but have some travel experience so stress can be an issue. The folks previously have given very good advice, so to add you will find that throughout your Camino the more you relax & simply trust yourself, slowdown you will be just fine.
Buen Camino
Keith

I flew from Vancouver bc to London heathrow , then Ryan air to Biarritz , there is short public bus to the train station , from there we shared a cab with another couple to st jean for 100 euros takes about 1 hour , we did not take the train as it gets to st jean to late and the pass port office would be closed
And we wanted to start early the next Morning ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We flew out of Seattle to SJPP in September via London on British Airway. After a four-hour layover in London, we continued on BA to Biarritz, arriving early evening. Right outside the small airport we caught the #14 bus to Bayonne train station. After spending the night at a local hotel near the station, we caught the train in the morning to SJPP. Easy!!

Our return: We flew from Santiago to London on Ryan Air a day before our flight home on BA. This extra day was necessary because the two airlines use different airports. Take the train from Stanstead into London for the day to sightsee on one of the tour buses, then ride the subway to a hotel near Heathrow Terminal 5 for your flight home the following day. Buen Camino

You can go from Madrid to SJPdP in just one day: from Chamartin by Renfe train to Irun/Hendaya. Then train from Hendaya to Bayonne and another train from Bayonne to Saint Jean. You leave Madrid at 8.00 am and reach SJPdP at 19.15.

Hi! I am planning for the last week of May as well, starting from Seattle! Hope to see you on the journey!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Part of the fun of the Camino is getting there. Try and get a few more days holiday from your employer, even if it is unpaid. Don't waste a trip to Europe by not spending a few days in Paris, it really is an incredible city. Same as SJPDP, it is such a nice village and the vibe you get from being there as a pilgrim is worth the day you will have to find from your leave. I have been there three times and I still get excited each time I visit. Just do it.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back