• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second Camino but where to go

Forestgirl

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Frances
2017 Portuguese, Muxia y Fisterra,
Ingles, Primativo
2018 Frances
2019 Norte
Hi everyone,
I am flying into Gatwick on March 15. From Gatwick I have many affordable choices flying into Spain (or Lisbon). I haven't decided where to walk and it's driving me crazy. I had planned to walk the Portuguese Camino, but recently saw that albergues etc are quite expensive so now I'm considering the VdlP? Any opinions/recommendations would be gratefully accepted. My budget is on the lower end so I have to follow those limits. I am trying to spend 30-40€ a day. I will be walking for 82 days. Maybe this crazy. Looking for a push or prod towards a decision. If I find it's not a good fit when I arrive then a train ride can take me elsewhere. It's nothing that cannot be undone. On the other hand, I feel wherever my boots land will be the right place as I know the magic of this experience and feel strongly that you get what's needed when you need on the Camino... no matter where you are or what you need. I comfortable exploring the outer edges of my comfort zones admitting this is often what offers the most profound experiences.
Blessings
Jennifer

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We did the VdlP beginning last March 31. Highly recommended. It is a great Camino if you are a strong walker. Some of the stages are a bit long, and we did get many days of rain. It is beautiful country, and you can easily manage on the budget you mentioned. You could look at our blog listed below. I tried to give a "pilgrim tip" each day concerning the route or albergues, etc. (We walked Merida to Astorga, then on to Santiago on the Frances). Buen Camino!

Don't go getting your toga in a twist just yet cobber.
But it is exciting isn't it! Woohoo!
You'll be absolutely fine in Spain or Portugal on 30-40 euro per day staying in albergues. France is a different matter.
You don't have to plan the 82 days. You just have to plan the first day of your first Camino. Then plan how to get there from Gatwick.
After deciding on the first Camino you will do, and there's no great hurry, try using the site rometorio for some initial 'getting there from Gatwick' ideas.
Regards and good travelling,
I'm looking forward to April in Portugal, :)
Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Flying into Gatwick with 82 days makes it sounds like you're coming from the US, so make sure your get in and get out in less than 90 days. 30 to 40 euros will get you anywhere. Lisbon to Ferrol with lots of time left for Muxia and Finisterre.

Albergues from Porto to Santiago are the same price as albergues on the Frances. I don't know where you got the information that they are more expensive.

With that time allowance, and with that budget, you could just start walking from where you have landed ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Forestgirl with that amount of time, starting mid-March and with a limited budget, the Via de la Plata seems ideal. Over 1000 km, good municipal albergue infrastructure (so not too expensive, many are donativo) and enough other pilgrims for social connections.

@Forestgirl with that amount of time, starting mid-March and with a limited budget, the Via de la Plata seems ideal. Over 1000 km, good municipal albergue infrastructure (so not too expensive, many are donativo) and enough other pilgrims for social connections.
Kanga, is that when you are heading out?

I'm starting about 20 April, and probably from Salamanca. Although considering further south. I'm with other people (started by myself; we are now up to four, I'm going to have to stop spruiking !) and don't want to push them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Kanga,
That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'm so happy that to have finally made my last big choice. Soon it'll be eat, sleep, walk. Time is a slow delicious unwinding of life. I cannot wait to get back.
What is your favorite city on the VdLP? Is the change in terrain? I really like the Camino Frances because all the various landscapes which for me felt like the four seasons... would you say the VdLP is more flat than mountainous? I feel stupid awaking. It's just difficult to find a proper satellite map with each of the Camino routes. If I do find something it's either shown smaller "stage/day" and I'm unable to see the whole thing in proper detail. Now, I'm sure I could find a helpful map somewhere, but haven't had time. I'm just curious for planning purposes. I am not looking for an incredibly in-depth description. Any little thoughts you'd care to share would be great. Thanks so much. Jennifer.

Flying into Gatwick with 82 days makes it sounds like you're coming from the US, so make sure your get in and get out in less than 90 days. 30 to 40 euros will get you anywhere. Lisbon to Ferrol with lots of time left for Muxia and Finisterre.

What is your favorite city on the VdLP? Is the change in terrain? I really like the Camino Frances because all the various landscapes which for me felt like the four seasons... would you say the VdLP is more flat than mountainous? I feel stupid awaking.
Jennifer, take a look at Nalod's blog and his beautiful pictures of VDLP. Looked at them last night and decided this was for me this March.

http://dermotdolan.blogspot.ca/2016/03/via-de-la-plata-february-1-to-february.html

With that time allowance, and with that budget, you could just start walking from where you have landed ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Just a side note. I bought your book for my first Camino and found it unbelievably useful. Thank you for answering pretty much every question I had about more than just my packing list. It is invaluable wealth of information.

Don't go getting your toga in a twist just yet cobber.
But it is exciting isn't it! Woohoo!
You'll be absolutely fine in Spain or Portugal on 30-40 euro per day staying in albergues. France is a different matter.
You don't have to plan the 82 days. You just have to plan the first day of your first Camino. Then plan how to get there from Gatwick.
After deciding on the first Camino you will do, and there's no great hurry, try using the site rometorio for some initial 'getting there from Gatwick' ideas.
Regards and good travelling,
I'm looking forward to April in Portugal, :)
Gerard
Gerald,
I've walked the Camino Frances so I know what you say is true. The first day is the only day to plan. However knowledge is power. I don't want to approach this Camino without common sense planning. Running out of money without knowing what I'm getting myself into would make little good of my time. With that in mind, I will be adding the site rometoria to my go to list. And thank for telling me about the site rometoria. I always welcome any info or advices. Thank you and blessings
Jennifer

We did the VdlP beginning last March 31. Highly recommended. It is a great Camino if you are a strong walker. Some of the stages are a bit long, and we did get many days of rain. It is beautiful country, and you can easily manage on the budget you mentioned. You could look at our blog listed below. I tried to give a "pilgrim tip" each day concerning the route or albergues, etc. (We walked Merida to Astorga, then on to Santiago on the Frances). Buen Camino!

Wow. Your blog is great. Very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.