• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Advice on Route Change

LauraK

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
Need some advice/suggestions on my route:
My Experience: I have walked 7 Caminos since 2004. Last time on the Frances was January 2012. Since then have walked part of VDLP, Sanabres, Salvador, Primitivo (2x). Last walk in Early April 2017. So have all my equipment and lots of experience.
My Situation: I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in April 2022. I finished chemotherapy in October 2022 and just received my 3rd PET scan since last October with “no evidence of disease” not remission since those little suckers are hiding out somewhere (cancer cells). I am currently on daily chemo pills and infusions every 6 weeks. I finally felt strong again in late August. I have been taking care of other family members, retired from work and basically have a “power through it” mentality so no real time for reflection on my next phase of life. I decided I was strong enough to do a much needed Camino. I have been walking up to 12 miles… feel I can do much more in a day with rests. I have gone on every previous Camino with no expectations-just cleared my head and started walking. I always got exactly what I needed from each Camino that shaped my life and changed me.
My requirements: since I am anemic and have a low red blood cell count from my medications, I will walk slower than I used to do. I will need rests along the way (5-15 minutes). I would like the option to have shorter days or a rest day since I don’t know how my body will react to multiple days of long distances(I am strong so I do think I will be fine just considering all possibilities). I had planned to do the Frances starting in Leon on October 21. I gave myself 20 walking days… if I’m fast, I will walk on to Finisterre and Muxia (never did this part before). I chose the Frances because there is more infrastructure and I thought it would be fitting since I did this walk on my first Camino in 2004 and this will probably be my last one. I do love the scenery, symbolism and ending in Santiago.
My Dilemma: I will be arriving in Leon next Wednesday with a rest day planned for Thursday. I need to be in Madrid on November 11. After reading all the posts on the number of pilgrims on the Frances, I am not sure I want to walk with a lot of people passing me by and hearing “Buen Camino” every few steps (my walking becomes a quiet meditation) or worry about finding a bed. I will be walking with my pack and have flexibility but don’t want to be in a situation where I have to walk further or take a taxi. Most of my walks have been late late fall or winter with very few people. I like walking alone but do enjoy a shared dinner at night.

Your Recommendations: can you experienced pilgrims provide suggestions on what starting point or different Camino would meet my needs? I will be walking in November so need to know albergues, pension or hotel will be open (planning on staying in albergues). I know I can’t do a difficult Camino like the Primitivo. I appreciate any thoughts, recommendations or advice you can give me. It’s rare for me to ask for help…but I think your sage advice would really help me. I keep telling myself just go and see how it works out but I really need to clear my head and I’m feeling nervous about the crowds I keep reading about. Thank you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would stick with your current plan. I think it is well thought out and best suits your needs. I think that if you adjust your starting and stopping points to avoid the popular stages, you will find plenty of the solitude you need. I know I did walking the Frances that way after Sarria, and I was walking in late July not late October, generally a much busier time along that stretch. If you find that how far you need to walk on a day happens to leave you at a popular stage end point, with lots of pilgrims, you can always start walking earlier or later than most to get more solitude.

Last edited:
I concur with Mr. Tallan. Some might say the Portuguese starting in Porto would give you some new views and a much bigger window to finish, but I personally would recommend sticking with your plan for all the reasons you mentioned. And I probably have a personal bias towards (affinity for?) Galicia -- such beautiful country and to see it in the late fall with fewer people around will really be something. I'm a bit jealous!

I wish you the very best of luck with your recovery. My cousin is a breast cancer survivor and I tried to talk her into walking the Frances with me. She was all in for biking it, but that's sadly just not something I'd care to do, even in excellent company. So we went fishing together instead and it was wonderful.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that your current plan is excellent and that you should stick with it. The advice above is very good.

This year numbers of people on the Frances are down whereas numbers on the Portuguese and shorter Caminos like the Ingles are way up.

Stay the plan and I wish you the very best ❤️

Thanks for the reassurance on my route choice. I don’t usually overthink it or get nervous but reading some of the posts on the thousands coming into Santiago daily really worried me. Great info and support on the forum but I guess you can sucked down the rabbit hole if you start reading every post.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I concur with Mr. Tallan. Some might say the Portuguese starting in Porto would give you some new views and a much bigger window to finish, but I personally would recommend sticking with your plan for all the reasons you mentioned. And I probably have a personal bias towards (affinity for?) Galicia -- such beautiful country and to see it in the late fall with fewer people around will really be something. I'm a bit jealous!

I wish you the very best of luck with your recovery. My cousin is a breast cancer survivor and I tried to talk her into walking the Frances with me. She was all in for biking it, but that's sadly just not something I'd care to do, even in excellent company. So we went fishing together instead and it was wonderful.

Buen Camino!
I also love entering Galicia and seeing all the green hills. I live in Dallas where it is dry and flat and was looking forward to the beautiful scenery.

I just got back from the camino frances on Monday, having walked from Grañon to Leon.

I mainly stayed in smaller 'between stages' villages and found, as a result, that the camino was lovely and peaceful. Apart from leaving Villafranca Montes de Oca, I never encountered streams of pilgrims walking at the same time as me.

I did not book, but I also arrived by 2 o'clock at the latest, and never had problems getting a bed. People who arrived at 5 or later apparently had more difficulties.

You'll be a week later, so there will be even fewer pilgrim numbers than now, certainly until Sarria.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am walking the Frances now just past Logroño and have been a bit off the main stages. Some days I barely see anyone, to the point I ended up walking with someone a little in the more isolated areas. Maybe I just got lucky but its been very chill. The buen camino’s I hear are mainly from locals who live in the areas I have passed through ☺️ which has been beautiful to experience.

Have a beautiful journey whatever route you decide!

Need some advice/suggestions on my route:
My Experience: I have walked 7 Caminos since 2004. Last time on the Frances was January 2012. Since then have walked part of VDLP, Sanabres, Salvador, Primitivo (2x). Last walk in Early April 2017. So have all my equipment and lots of experience.
My Situation: I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in April 2022. I finished chemotherapy in October 2022 and just received my 3rd PET scan since last October with “no evidence of disease” not remission since those little suckers are hiding out somewhere (cancer cells). I am currently on daily chemo pills and infusions every 6 weeks. I finally felt strong again in late August. I have been taking care of other family members, retired from work and basically have a “power through it” mentality so no real time for reflection on my next phase of life. I decided I was strong enough to do a much needed Camino. I have been walking up to 12 miles… feel I can do much more in a day with rests. I have gone on every previous Camino with no expectations-just cleared my head and started walking. I always got exactly what I needed from each Camino that shaped my life and changed me.
My requirements: since I am anemic and have a low red blood cell count from my medications, I will walk slower than I used to do. I will need rests along the way (5-15 minutes). I would like the option to have shorter days or a rest day since I don’t know how my body will react to multiple days of long distances(I am strong so I do think I will be fine just considering all possibilities). I had planned to do the Frances starting in Leon on October 21. I gave myself 20 walking days… if I’m fast, I will walk on to Finisterre and Muxia (never did this part before). I chose the Frances because there is more infrastructure and I thought it would be fitting since I did this walk on my first Camino in 2004 and this will probably be my last one. I do love the scenery, symbolism and ending in Santiago.
My Dilemma: I will be arriving in Leon next Wednesday with a rest day planned for Thursday. I need to be in Madrid on November 11. After reading all the posts on the number of pilgrims on the Frances, I am not sure I want to walk with a lot of people passing me by and hearing “Buen Camino” every few steps (my walking becomes a quiet meditation) or worry about finding a bed. I will be walking with my pack and have flexibility but don’t want to be in a situation where I have to walk further or take a taxi. Most of my walks have been late late fall or winter with very few people. I like walking alone but do enjoy a shared dinner at night.

Your Recommendations: can you experienced pilgrims provide suggestions on what starting point or different Camino would meet my needs? I will be walking in November so need to know albergues, pension or hotel will be open (planning on staying in albergues). I know I can’t do a difficult Camino like the Primitivo. I appreciate any thoughts, recommendations or advice you can give me. It’s rare for me to ask for help…but I think your sage advice would really help me. I keep telling myself just go and see how it works out but I really need to clear my head and I’m feeling nervous about the crowds I keep reading about. Thank you.
Holy Cow…and I thought that with my epilepsy and sleep apnea, I was darned out. My respect @LauraK.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would suggest a flatter Camino on the Coastal Portuguese -- more costly than other options certainly, but also more restful for your body which clearly needs the rest ; and the sea air and good food can't be bad either.

Maybe starting from near the airport rather than from Porto itself ?

I've had some of the same concerns about the crowded conditions reported by some. I get into León on the 19th and plan on starting the 20th or 21st, depending on jet lag. My plan is to walk as far as Ponferrada, trying to stay off stage as much as possible. If it seems too busy, I plan to switch to the Invierno at Ponferrada. It's around 65k longer than going straight through on the Frances, so I may have to bus a day if that's the way I go. I fly out of Madrid on Nov. 9th. PM me if you are interested in talking more. In any case, have a
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back