Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking All Amazing VDLP Itinerary & Route Tips, Suggestions & Advice

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked - Frances, Primitivo, Ingles, Portuguese
Hi Friends! I'm new to the group (from Australia) after walking nine previous Camino's, and currently planning the VDLP with friends for March/April 2026. I've been quietly lurking while putting together a loose itinerary/Excel spreedsheet and was hoping for feedback, suggestions, advice and tips regarding accommodation you've loved, albergue's not to be missed, towns, great restaurants and bars, route advice/detours etc. Absolutely anything you think I might need to know. Coming off routes that I'm very familiar with, I know how valuable advice is from people who have walked before (i.e. the River Route into Burgos on the Frances etc), so I'd love to hear whatever you've got to share.

As for distances, our comfortable range is around 25km depending on terrain, and up to 32km at a push, but preferably not consecutively. I've drawn up an itinerary accordingly, but again open to all advice and suggestions. I've also included some shorter distances when walking into towns that I've heard are worth exploring. That said, it's easy to write up something based on information found online, but would prefer to hear your thoughts and ideas based on your personal experiences.

Finally, also looking at advice on whether it's worth starting further South from Cadiz on the Camino Via Augusta, from anyone who may have walked it.

Okay, go! 🥰🤗

1. Sevilla - Guillena (22.3km)
2. Guillena - Castilblanco de los Arroyos (17.8km)
3. Castilblanco de los Arroyos - Almaden de la Plata (29km)
4. Almaden de la Plata - El Real de la Jara (14km)
5. El Real de la Jara - Monasterio (20km)
6. Monasterio - Fuente de Cantos (22km)
7. Fuente de Cantos - Zafra (25km)
8. Zafra - Villafranca de los Barros (20km)
9. Villafranca de los Barros - Torramejia (26.5km)
10. Torramejia - Merida (15km)
11. Merida ** Rest Day **
12. Merida - Aljucen (17km)
13. Aljucen - Alceuscar (19.2km)
14. Alceuscar - Valdesalor (25.6km)
15. Valdesalor - Caceres (11.6km)
16. Caceres - Casar de Caceres (11km)
17. Casar de Caceres - Canaveral (33.4km)
18. Canaveral - Galisteo (27.3km)
19. Galisteo - Carcaboso (11.4km)
20. Carcaboso - Olivia de Plasencia (25km)
21. Olivia de Plasencia - Aldeanueva del Camino - (22km)
22. Aldeanueva del Camino - La Calzada de Bejar (22km)
23. La Calzada de Bejar - Fuenterroble (20km)
24. Fuenterroble - San Pedro de Rozados (28km)
25. San Pedro de Rozados - Salamanca (23km)
26. Salamanca ** Rest Day **
27. Salamanca - Calzada de Valdunciel (15.7km)
28. Calzada de Valdunciel - El Cubo de Tierra del Vino (21km)
29. El Cubo de Tierra del Vino - Zamora (31.6km)
30. Zamora - Montamarta (19.1km)
31. Montamarta - Granja de Morerulea (22.5km)
32. Granja de Morerulea - Tabara (25km)
33. Tabara - Calzadilla de Tera (32.5km)
34. Calzadilla de Tera - Rio Negro de Puente (16km)
35. Rio Negro de Puente - Palacios de Sanabria (29km)
36. Palacios de Sanabria - Puebla de Sanabria (11km)
37. Pueblo de Sanabria - Lubian (29km)
38. Lubian - La Gunida (23.3km)
39. La Gunida - Laza (34km)
40. Laza - Vilar de Barrio (19km)
41. Vilar de Barrio - Xunqeria de Ambia (14km)
42. Xunqeria de Ambia - Ourense (22km)
43. Ourense ** Rest Day **
44. Ourense - Cea (22.5km)
45. Cea - Castro Dozon (19km)
46. Castro Dozon - Silleda (27.6km)
47. Silleda - Ponte Ulla (20km)
48. Ponte Ulla - Santiago (21.5km)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Girlwhoflies, I am also from Australia and walked the via last year in April/May. I was 39 days from Seville to Santiago and enjoyed it immensely, my only regret is not starting in Cadiz. A pilgrim I met had done this and recommended it.
Your stages look good. As you will know the opportunities for food and drink on the Via are noticeably fewer than on other Caminos but the only really remote stage is the Casar de Cacares - Canaveral section where it's remote country with nothing at all in between.
All the albergues were good and it's hard to pick favourites but I really liked Casa De Misericordia in Alceuscar - excellent pilgrims meal - and the municipal in Tabara - great hospitalero and another excellent pilgrims meal.
One thing to note is that if you arrive in Rio Negro De Puente on a Wednesday the only restarant is shut and there is nowhere to eat or buy food except for a lady who has a small shop in her front room with limited stock and limited opening hours.
I think the albergue in Castro Dozon has shut down. It was shut last year so I went via the monastery in Osiera, great albergue and well worth the small detour.
If I can help with anythng else please let me know. Buen Camino!

Your itinerary looks good, similar to what I might choose. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to say. I loved the VDLP, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any amazing route tips! You have the distances figured out, and that's really all that is necessary. The route is what it is, and you will walk through Mérida, under the Arco de Cáparra, through Salamanca, etc., etc., whether you plan it or not!

Sorry for not being very helpful! I also do spreadsheets, but somehow, I feel that the VDLP is better done without a list of expected highlights. I wonder if any other people who have walked it will feel the same way!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Per excellent advice received on this forum, my wife and I started last fall from La Linea de la Concepción just north of Gibraltar on the Via Serrana as an alternative to walking the Via Augusta from Cadiz. It was absolutely spectacular and I highly recommend it. We did it in 10 days, so it's a bit longer hike than the Via Augusta from Cadiz. Besides walking through amazing mountains, at about the half-way mark you go through Ronda, a stunning city with lots of architecture and history. On a later day you spend almost the entire day walking out of Olvera on an abandoned railway line that includes 20 tunnels, some as long as 3/4ths of a kilometer long. I would highly recommend it.

Separately, as to your VdlP itinerary, we came up with an itinerary very similar to yours, although with rest days in Cáceres, which was worthwhile, and in Puebla de Sanabria, which might have been unnecessary. But the smartest thing we did was to add two days for "just in case" into our plan for injuries, crazy weather, etc., which we used for a second sightseeing day in Salamanca (it is truly that remarkable) and adding an unplanned rest day in Zamora, which is a fascinating city and well worth an extra day, even if it is so relatively close to Salamanca.

My only other suggestion, if you're so inclined, is to stay at the Xunta albergue on the grounds of Oseira Monastery after Cee on the Camino Sanabrés and take the tour of the monastery and go to Vespers there. For us, it was perhaps the highlight of a wonderful pilgrimage.

You will love your trip.

Looks like a good plan.
I walked the VdlP last year but headed North from Granja to Astorga,
then to Ponferrada on the Frances and the Invierno into Santiago.
Just another option. ;)

I'll probably try the Sanabres option at some stage.
But wanted to walk the Invierno before it gets too poular.
It was amazing.......

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Did the Via Augusta, VDLP to Astorga and Francés into Santiago in 2021. All the municipal allergies were still closed because of Covid, so had to stay in private establishments. The Via Augusta was not well marked in some areas, and all of our accommodations were in hotels, as there was no other option. We did not see any other pilgrims the entire distance between Cádiz and Seville. The weather was extremely hot at the end of August, but the entire trip was wonderful.

Hi Girlwhoflies, I am also from Australia and walked the via last year in April/May. I was 39 days from Seville to Santiago and enjoyed it immensely, my only regret is not starting in Cadiz. A pilgrim I met had done this and recommended it.
Your stages look good. As you will know the opportunities for food and drink on the Via are noticeably fewer than on other Caminos but the only really remote stage is the Casar de Cacares - Canaveral section where it's remote country with nothing at all in between.
All the albergues were good and it's hard to pick favourites but I really liked Casa De Misericordia in Alceuscar - excellent pilgrims meal - and the municipal in Tabara - great hospitalero and another excellent pilgrims meal.
One thing to note is that if you arrive in Rio Negro De Puente on a Wednesday the only restarant is shut and there is nowhere to eat or buy food except for a lady who has a small shop in her front room with limited stock and limited opening hours.
I think the albergue in Castro Dozon has shut down. It was shut last year so I went via the monastery in Osiera, great albergue and well worth the small detour.
If I can help with anythng else please let me know. Buen Camino!
Fantastic advice Linday, I really appreciate it! I'll make a note of those albergues and look at dates for my arrival into Rio Negro de Puente. Thank you 🤗

Also, I have a funny feeling we've met before... at Casa Susi last April? Mutual friends of Sue and Fermin? I remember you staying upstairs with us after finishing the Via? I could be wrong 😂

Your itinerary looks good, similar to what I might choose. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to say. I loved the VDLP, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any amazing route tips! You have the distances figured out, and that's really all that is necessary. The route is what it is, and you will walk through Mérida, under the Arco de Cáparra, through Salamanca, etc., etc., whether you plan it or not!

Sorry for not being very helpful! I also do spreadsheets, but somehow, I feel that the VDLP is better done without a list of expected highlights. I wonder if any other people who have walked it will feel the same way!
No, that's great, thank you. I really appreciate your reply, and hearing your thoughts. Best way to plan a Camino in my opinion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks like a good plan.
I walked the VdlP last year but headed North from Granja to Astorga,
then to Ponferrada on the Frances and the Invierno into Santiago.
Just another option. ;)

I'll probably try the Sanabres option at some stage.
But wanted to walk the Invierno before it gets too poular.
It was amazing.......
So many options and never enough time! I need to win Powerball so I can just walk forever! 😂

Per excellent advice received on this forum, my wife and I started last fall from La Linea de la Concepción just north of Gibraltar on the Via Serrana as an alternative to walking the Via Augusta from Cadiz. It was absolutely spectacular and I highly recommend it. We did it in 10 days, so it's a bit longer hike than the Via Augusta from Cadiz. Besides walking through amazing mountains, at about the half-way mark you go through Ronda, a stunning city with lots of architecture and history. On a later day you spend almost the entire day walking out of Olvera on an abandoned railway line that includes 20 tunnels, some as long as 3/4ths of a kilometer long. I would highly recommend it.

Separately, as to your VdlP itinerary, we came up with an itinerary very similar to yours, although with rest days in Cáceres, which was worthwhile, and in Puebla de Sanabria, which might have been unnecessary. But the smartest thing we did was to add two days for "just in case" into our plan for injuries, crazy weather, etc., which we used for a second sightseeing day in Salamanca (it is truly that remarkable) and adding an unplanned rest day in Zamora, which is a fascinating city and well worth an extra day, even if it is so relatively close to Salamanca.

My only other suggestion, if you're so inclined, is to stay at the Xunta albergue on the grounds of Oseira Monastery after Cee on the Camino Sanabrés and take the tour of the monastery and go to Vespers there. For us, it was perhaps the highlight of a wonderful pilgrimage.

You will love your trip.
Epic! Thanks so much for your reply. Your itinerary sounds really interesting, which is going to have me reaching for google maps as soon as I post my reply. I hadn't considered a rest day in Caceres either so I'll also look at that. I'm always inclined to take my time on the Camino and explore towns as much as possible because you just never know what you might find. I'd also looked at Zafra as a possible rest day?

Fantastic advice Linday, I really appreciate it! I'll make a note of those albergues and look at dates for my arrival into Rio Negro de Puente. Thank you 🤗

Also, I have a funny feeling we've met before... at Casa Susi last April? Mutual friends of Sue and Fermin? I remember you staying upstairs with us after finishing the Via? I could be wrong 😂
No worries! But it was not me at Casa Susi, I've never been there. :)

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Hi Friends! I'm new to the group (from Australia) after walking nine previous Camino's, and currently planning the VDLP with friends for March/April 2026. I've been quietly lurking while putting together a loose itinerary/Excel spreedsheet and was hoping for feedback, suggestions, advice and tips regarding accommodation you've loved, albergue's not to be missed, towns, great restaurants and bars, route advice/detours etc. Absolutely anything you think I might need to know. Coming off routes that I'm very familiar with, I know how valuable advice is from people who have walked before (i.e. the River Route into Burgos on the Frances etc), so I'd love to hear whatever you've got to share.

As for distances, our comfortable range is around 25km depending on terrain, and up to 32km at a push, but preferably not consecutively. I've drawn up an itinerary accordingly, but again open to all advice and suggestions. I've also included some shorter distances when walking into towns that I've heard are worth exploring. That said, it's easy to write up something based on information found online, but would prefer to hear your thoughts and ideas based on your personal experiences.

Finally, also looking at advice on whether it's worth starting further South from Cadiz on the Camino Via Augusta, from anyone who may have walked it.

Okay, go! 🥰🤗

I just printed your itinerary. Thank you for posting it. I just remembered (it happens..LOL) that @Paul-CH posted a very clever itinerary in a spreadsheet with many details that you might want to look at. Look at the thread from Cádiz on this forum.

Hi, Walked from Cadiz to Astorga Apr/May 22 then backtracked and did the Sanabres then on to Finisterre and Muxia. I really enjoyed the Via Augusta, was well marked but didn't see another pilgrim till Sevilla. Don't believe all the negative stuff. Your itinerary looks very comfortable. If i had thought about it, i would have gone from Astorga to Leon and done the San Salvador and walked a further day to the North so i could have done the coast to coast then come back down the primitivo but just didn't think of it till committed to the Sanabres. Your rest days are great and with all the shorter days you will have plenty of time to explore. The suggestion about the monastery after Cea is sound - don't miss the black dog. I suspect you may find, once you get your camino legs, that you alter the stages but given your vast previous experience am sure you are leaving things flexible. Buen camino !

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Per excellent advice received on this forum, my wife and I started last fall from La Linea de la Concepción just north of Gibraltar on the Via Serrana
I have read @peregrina2000's Find Penguins blog a few days ago. She recently walked the Via Serrana to Seville, and her account and photos were amazing. I may look into that for a future option, although I think she walked some longer stages than I am comfortable doing.

Puebla de Sanabria, which might have been unnecessary. But the smartest thing we did was to add two days for "just in case" into our plan for injuries, crazy weather, etc., which we used for a second sightseeing day in Salamanca (it is truly that remarkable) and adding an unplanned rest day in Zamora, which is a fascinating city and well worth an extra day, even if it is so relatively close to Salamanca.
I agree with your comments on this section of the Sanabres, as I have recently returned home from there. I loved the castle tour at Puebla de Sanabria so I appreciated having that extra day there not hurried, and the two cities of Salamanca and Zamora were great.

I, too, loved the variant to Oseira, the tour of the monastery, Vespers and the beautiful newer albergue there. We also ended that day with a dinner reservation at the only bar/restaurant nearby. It was definitely a highlight.

Last edited:
Hi, Walked from Cadiz to Astorga Apr/May 22 then backtracked and did the Sanabres then on to Finisterre and Muxia. I really enjoyed the Via Augusta, was well marked but didn't see another pilgrim till Sevilla. Don't believe all the negative stuff. Your itinerary looks very comfortable. If i had thought about it, i would have gone from Astorga to Leon and done the San Salvador and walked a further day to the North so i could have done the coast to coast then come back down the primitivo but just didn't think of it till committed to the Sanabres. Your rest days are great and with all the shorter days you will have plenty of time to explore. The suggestion about the monastery after Cea is sound - don't miss the black dog. I suspect you may find, once you get your camino legs, that you alter the stages but given your vast previous experience am sure you are leaving things flexible. Buen camino !
Astorga is a beautiful town but from there, I lost the solitude that I had had since leaving Toulouse. And it got worse after Sarria with the incalculable numbers of people on the CF. I call those walkers, « the 100 km pilgrims ». I will not go back to do the CF from Astorga if it can be avoided.

I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but there is a pretty gobsmacking 7th century church a few kms off the path on this stage. Santa Lucía de Trampal. Really a beautiful place. Since you’ve got a fairly short stage that day, adding the kms probably wouldn’t be a hardship.

You would need GPS tracks, though, because there are lots of criss-crossing tracks. Good thread on this option here, with links to GPS tracks.

Another option is to get to Alcuéscar, shower and leave your pack behind and take the 3 km walk out and back. I have done this both ways and enjoyed them both. The first time I went, I brought a picnic lunch with me and sat in the field outside till the church opened up promptly at 4. This was an out and back on very untraveled country roads.

€60,-
Most people want to have a look around the Arco de Cáparra, which has a lot of ongoing exploration, so the site is always expanding to extend through more of the Roman city. I have stayed in Oliva de Plasencia and think that’s a great stop. But Iif you walk directly there from Carcaboso, you will not pass the Arch until the next day. At that time, the site is very likely to be closed, since it’s only a few kms from Oliva de Plasencia.

If you want to visit the site, one option is to add a few kms to your walk from Carcaboso to Oliva so that you can visit it when it is open. The gronze schematic map describes it clearly. IMG_1838.png

More discussion of this option in an old, but still accurate thread.

The other advantage of this option is that you get to see the arch twice — once during the day when you can visit the site, and the next time in the early morning sunlight, which does magical things to those rocks!

Just my opinion, but I think others share it — having a 31 km day into Zamora and then leaving the next day will not give you time to explore this fabulous city. Many don’t like to do “tourism” while they are walking, but if you do, the churches, cathedral, castle, and plazas in this city are just amazing.

If you can’t add a rest day, jiggling the earlier stages this way would at least give you more time in Zamora. But would definitely make for some longer days. The saving grace is that the kms between Salamanca and Zamora are very flat, except for when you have to climb up and around in order to go over the highway!

Astorga is a beautiful town but from there, I lost the solitude that I had had since leaving Toulouse. And it got worse after Sarria with the incalculable numbers of people on the CF. I call those walkers, « the 100 km pilgrims ». I will not go back to do the CF from Astorga if it can be avoided.
Agreed- we couldn't wait to get back onto the start of the Sanabres. I couldn't imagine finishing the vdp on the cf

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here are some random thoughts.
There is also a daily video series in the link in my signature if you want to plough throw that :rolleyes:

I won't comment on the actual route too much, as that can change (already has in parts since last year)

I was a bit concerned about this stage as it's at my upper distance limit, and the weather was quite hot.
But it's easy walking (when dry)
Flat, great surface......

Consider the option of walking to Arco de Caparra and being 'collected' by the minbus from Hostal Asturias.
You obviously need to be booked there for te night and you call them when you get to the Arco.
Good food there. Plus.......you walk across the road and car park opposite, and you are on the Via Verde the next day!
https://www.gronze.com/extremadura/caceres/hostales-asturias-y-jarilla/hostal-asturias

24. Fuenterroble - A must stay Albergue with communal meal.

Last edited:

I tend to agree. But jumping off the CF at Ponferra is a great alternative!
Back into solitude.............for now. ;)
3 days on the CF from Astorga to Ponferrada was great.
But 3 days was enough.

I tend to agree. But jumping off the CF at Ponferra is a great alternative!
Back into solitude.............for now. ;)
3 days on the CF from Astorga to Ponferrada was great.
But 3 days was enough.
I am currently looking at the blog that you have on Via de la Plata…the idea of warming up at the beginning of the Camino is excellent. Having decided to leave from Algeciras in March 2025, I may not have that luxury as the first stage is 37 kms, the reason being that there are few accommodations in between Algeciras and Tarifa. Should I warm up before leaving for Malaga with 40 km hikes several days apart to « warm up »?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am currently looking at the blog that you have on Via de la Plata…the idea of warming up at the beginning of the Camino is excellent. Having decided to leave from Algeciras in March 2025, I may not have that luxury as the first stage is 37 kms, the reason being that there are few accommodations in between Algeciras and Tarifa. Should I warm up before leaving for Malaga with 40 km hikes several days apart to « warm up »?

I'm not familiar with the route from Algeciras sadly.

Maybe it would help if I explain my warming up process?
Which is for very specific and personal reasons.

I don't really 'train' for a Camino. I do some local walks 6-7 kms in the weeks and days beforehand, maybe 2-3 times a week. I don't even carry a pack on those walks. It's more just to get my feet and legs used to hiking again. And a key focus for me tends to be reducing body weight! Being a chubby Pilgrim, that helps me more than any training might do.

So when I start a Camino, it's really the first time since my last Camino, that I have walked any sort of distance and with a pack. (I get my pack as light as I can) Note. As I have walked a few Caminos, I know my gear and body. I would not suggest a Pligrim heading to a Camino for the first tme should not train!

As I tend to injure easly, from old foot, knee and tendon issues, I don't want to start too fast and far 'out of the gate'. It's also a reason, rather illogically I'm sure, why I don't really train pre Camino. I don't want to get injured before I start. About a week before I leave home I get cortizone shots in a few tendons if they have swollen during my very light training.

So then I get to my start point, and start very gently.
I build up slowly, testing how my body is coping. And going a bit further each day. So last year for example it was something like 10 kms, 12 kms, 18 kms, 20 kms. Building up to my 'comfortable' distance of 20-25 kms / day. I can do longer if required, but a 30+ km day really means a rest day or short day after it. (and sometimes a physio visit!)

So the 'warm up' idea is really a very personal thing, because of the body and body issues I have.

Most people 'train' before their Camino. But even so, quite a few seem to get injured within the first week. So maybe easing into it, or 'warming up' is no bad thing.

Back to your route, with a 37 km first day, if it was me, I'd look at breaking that day in half somehow.
I couldn't find the actual route on Gronze. Does it hug the coast rather than the more direct route?
But I would be looking at places where I could access transport along the route. Either to get back to Algeciras, and out again the next day, or forward to Tarifa and back again the next day. Villages with buses, bar where you could call a taxi etc?

Again, if it was me......... I wouldn't be doing 40 km hikes in Malaga as a 'warm up'. Risk of injury......

But that's just me. a chubby, old, slow Pilgrim. But I get there in the end. ;)

I'm sure someone here who has walked that route will have far better advice!

I'm not familiar with the route from Algeciras sadly.

Maybe it would help if I explain my warming up process?
Which is for very specific and personal reasons.

I don't really 'train' for a Camino. I do some local walks 6-7 kms in the weeks and days beforehand, maybe 2-3 times a week. I don't even carry a pack on those walks. It's more just to get my feet and legs used to hiking again. And a key focus for me tends to be reducing body weight! Being a chubby Pilgrim, that helps me more than any training might do.

So when I start a Camino, it's really the first time since my last Camino, that I have walked any sort of distance and with a pack. (I get my pack as light as I can) Note. As I have walked a few Caminos, I know my gear and body. I would not suggest a Pligrim heading to a Camino for the first tme should not train!

As I tend to injure easly, from old foot, knee and tendon issues, I don't want to start too fast and far 'out of the gate'. It's also a reason, rather illogically I'm sure, why I don't really train pre Camino. I don't want to get injured before I start. About a week before I leave home I get cortizone shots in a few tendons if they have swollen during my very light training.

So then I get to my start point, and start very gently.
I build up slowly, testing how my body is coping. And going a bit further each day. So last year for example it was something like 10 kms, 12 kms, 18 kms, 20 kms. Building up to my 'comfortable' distance of 20-25 kms / day. I can do longer if required, but a 30+ km day really means a rest day or short day after it. (and sometimes a physio visit!)

So the 'warm up' idea is really a very personal thing, because of the body and body issues I have.

Most people 'train' before their Camino. But even so, quite a few seem to get injured within the first week. So maybe easing into it, or 'warming up' is no bad thing.

Back to your route, with a 37 km first day, if it was me, I'd look at breaking that day in half somehow.
I couldn't find the actual route on Gronze. Does it hug the coast rather than the more direct route?
But I would be looking at places where I could access transport along the route. Either to get back to Algeciras, and out again the next day, or forward to Tarifa and back again the next day. Villages with buses, bar where you could call a taxi etc?

Again, if it was me......... I wouldn't be doing 40 km hikes in Malaga as a 'warm up'. Risk of injury......

But that's just me. a chubby, old, slow Pilgrim. But I get there in the end. ;)

I'm sure someone here who has walked that route will have far better advice!
I am looking at training here in Gers and in Haute Pyrenées during the winter with increasing kilometers hiking, however the terrain from ALGESIRAS to TARIFA is not only long but rugged in a climate region very different from here north of the Pyrenees. I would like to avoid to take a taxi or a bus 17 kms from ALGESIRAS to EL PELAYO or EL BUJEO and walking to TARIFA:

I am looking at training here in Gers and in Haute Pyrenées during the winter with increasing kilometers hiking, however the terrain from ALGESIRAS to TARIFA is not only long but rugged in a climate region very different from here north of the Pyrenees. I would like to avoid to take a taxi or a bus 17 kms from ALGESIRAS to EL PELAYO or EL BUJEO and walking to TARIFA:

I understand.
I wasn't suggesting you 'miss' any section.
Just use a taxi or bus to break it in two.

ie.
Day 1
ALGESIRAS to EL PELAYO (Walk)
Go back to Algesira (bus or taxi)
Day 2
Bus or taxi to El Pelayo.
Walk to Tarifa.

Otherwise........37 kms on day one :)

Maybe make the next day a short day.

Of course I could be totally misunderstanding your abilities!
Maybe like many others, 40 km days are easy for you.

Just looking on Google maps. If the route indeed follows through El Pelayo.
Past El Pelayo is an Albergue. (Albergue Inturjoven)
Seems to be lots of accomodation options along the N-340.
But again, I don't have a map of the actual Camino route in that area, so might be way off.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I might be incessantly worrying about this trek but the fact is that this is my second Camino, I will be 72 years old, and will not yet be in Cadiz or in Sevilla to begin the walk on the VdLP. I want to walk this and having completed this in Santiago, wish to do the SOKOKU walk in Japan.

I have walked up to 42 kms before but not on a regular basis. Your suggestion resonates in my mind as options to seriously consider. Thank you again.

On another note, I have been watching several walkers or pilgrims walking the various caminos on TikTok and while at home, can't wait to get going again...am thinking of walking from LE PUY home in September or from ARLES home..

Okay, go! 🥰🤗

I am so glad that I have found this thread! My husband and I are sitting on the fence as to which camino will be our next (Frances, Via Podiensis, Norte/Primitivo and Francigena), so I will follow and glean info!!!

Just my opinion, but I think others share it — having a 31 km day into Zamora and then leaving the next day will not give you time to explore this fabulous city. Many don’t like to do “tourism” while they are walking, but if you do, the churches, cathedral, castle, and plazas in this city are just amazing.

If you can’t add a rest day, jiggling the earlier stages this way would at least give you more time in Zamora. But would definitely make for some longer days. The saving grace is that the kms between Salamanca and Zamora are very flat,
I really enjoyed Zamora and it was easy to walk to all the main sights if you stay in or near the historical area.
When making plans for the Sanabres, we chose to do our tourist days in Salamanca and Zamora before we started walking and it was a good decision. The bus ride between the two cities was actually quite boring and I'd only planned for 3.5 weeks in Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

[Moderator note: The following posts have been moved from this thread, as they are not really relevant to the LIVE thread, from which the OP has departed. We might get better discussion on a new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back