• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seals/stamps/ sellos directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobasdan

Time of past OR future Camino
junio-agosto
Wise Pilgrim or whichever app needs a seal/stamp locator function with preview images. Albergues are a given, but it’d be cool to know which other places have seals or even what they look like, like a map overlay.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That’s a HUGE task given that nearly every bar, restaurant, hotel, and sometimes roadside stands have a stamp. I’ve found great joy being surprised every time I get a sello through not knowing what it will be.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That’s a HUGE task given that nearly every bar, restaurant, hotel, and sometimes roadside stands have a stamp. I’ve found great joy being surprised every time I get a sello through not knowing what it will be.
How do you think places get reviews or information posted online about them in the first place? Better yet, have you heard of Wikipedia, or Yelp, or Instagram or Facebook?

It’s definitely NOT “nearly” every bar and restaurant, and since you’ve taken the time to think thru a reply I hope you’re not suggesting the code would be difficult/complicated.

I stayed in nearly all private lodgings on my recent Norte Camino. I asked for stamps/sellos for my credential at all of them, and also a few bars and restaurants along the way. I was sorely disappointed as not even one was a unique, attractive "Camino" looking sello. In fact, most appeared to be a "return address stamp" used for mailing letters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wise Pilgrim or whichever app needs a seal/stamp locator function with preview images. Albergues are a given, but it’d be cool to know which other places have seals or even what they look like, like a map overlay.
On the Frances; if there isn’t a sign up saying ‘no sello’ it’s highly probable that there is one.

Spain’s bureaucracy is renowned and businesses have to stamp receipts, invoices etc. the stamp they use is for business purposes not ‘Camino specific’ (which is what is generally understood by ?Hay un sello aquí?) but it is a sello nonetheless.

Last edited:
How do you think places get reviews or information posted online about them in the first place? Better yet, have you heard of Wikipedia, or Yelp, or Instagram or Facebook?

It’s definitely NOT “nearly” every bar and restaurant, and since you’ve taken the time to think thru a reply I hope you’re not suggesting the code would be difficult/complicated.
Yipes! Dear friend, this site (like the Camino) is a place of kindness and people assisting others in a friendly manner. Dial it down a bit and appreciate that much of the work of Pilgrim websites and Apps are done at a very low profit or even nonprofit by kind Camino Angels. Your tone above can easily be misinterpreted as attacking and I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way.

Creating a collection of preview photos for every sello on the CF would be a large process for little benefit. App creators already struggle with keeping their information current on albergues and food offerings and this would yet add another information point to gather. While you suggest that it’s a simple process, I’d argue that one person trying to collect, post, and keep current thousands upon thousands of sellos in their app is unreasonable.

Perhaps you could achieve a similar goal by starting a movement to crowdsource this information by having pilgrims post a photo of their sellos to the “Wikipedia, or Yelp, or Instagram or Facebook” page of each business they visit.

I hope your Camino journeys are full of kindness and grace (and interesting sellos).

It’s definitely NOT “nearly” every bar and restaurant
You are correct. It’s not “nearly”…it’s “EVERY”! Spain requires an official stamp for businesses. They may not be the fancy or pilgrim ones you are seeking, but it’s their sello and recognized as such by the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

As suggested already : please feel free to develop such an app.
There might be a market for this , though I am not in the least interested.
One of the best albergues imho are not on social media. They might not even have fancy sellos but their hospitality is generous.

See this simple sello from the humble albergue parroquial in Tosantos.

You are correct. It’s not “nearly”…it’s “EVERY”! Spain requires an official stamp for businesses. They may not be the fancy or pilgrim ones you are seeking, but it’s their sello and recognized as such by the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago.
Obviously “Camino specific” is what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
Do the search on your own, dude. Nobody is going to do it for you. Wise Pilgrims has too many other things to deal with keeping the "important" things up to date. GHEEZ!
As some helpful people have already commented usefully, there are databases. However, thank you for your contribution.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just about every business along the Camino will happily give you a stamp, not to mention every govt office, so it would be a very cluttered map.

Do the search on your own, dude. Nobody is going to do it for you. Wise Pilgrims has too many other things to deal with keeping the "important" things up to date. GHEEZ!
Online tools are clearly and specifically data that people compile for other people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just about every business along the Camino will happily give you a stamp, not to mention every govt office, so it would be a very cluttered map.
Los sellos del camino already does this and has some maps but without location services. It may be seemingly many places in whichever given town, but it is very much not “every business”.

Albergues are a given, but it’d be cool to know which other places have seals or even what they look like, like a map overlay.
Interesting! As an erstwhile IT project manager, 'cool' never got any traction as a justification in any functional use case, and I would have been politely shown out of the room presenting it in a business case.

As an aside, you now join the ranks of the members here who float their fantastic idea about improving the Camino that involves someone other than them doing something, often with no obvious reward.

Online tools are clearly and specifically data that people compile for other people.
Indeed. I suggest most where there is a strong commercial imperative to have a presence, and they are more likely to provide their own data for that. Organisations that pay to collect data are more often ensuring that it is behind a paywall or have other arrangements for recovering the costs of their data collection efforts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interesting! As an erstwhile IT project manager, 'cool' never got any traction as a justification in any functional use case, and I would have been politely shown out of the room presenting it in a business case.

As an aside, you now join the ranks of the members here who float their fantastic idea about improving the Camino that involves someone other than them doing something, often with no obvious reward.
As actual useful replies have noted, los sellos del Camino mostly does what I asked about.

As actual useful replies have noted, los sellos del Camino mostly does what I asked about.
And that is a labour of love by someone who was prepared to follow up on his vision by actually taking action, engaging collaborators in that endeavour, etc. Not someone just recommending that others do that for him. There is a difference!

And that is a labour of love by someone who was prepared to follow up on his vision by actually taking action, engaging collaborators in that endeavour, etc. Not someone just recommending that others do that for him. There is a difference!
I welcome any helpful information/ contribution at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Los sellos del camino already does this and has some maps but without location services. It may be seemingly many places in whichever given town, but it is very much not “every business”.
As others have mentioned, every business in Spain is required, by law, to have a rubber stamp. Some of them are friendly enough to stamp your credencial for you.

As others have mentioned, every business in Spain is required, by law, to have a rubber stamp. Some of them are friendly enough to stamp your credencial for you.
I think it’s pretty clear I’m not talking about McDonald’s or CobBay or Alimerka.

I welcome any helpful information/ contribution at all.
Thanks for presenting this idea. If anyone wants to explore it further with you, perhaps a private Conversation would be a good way to proceed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.