• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senda Litoral From Esposende

Hareforit

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023, May 2024
Hello,

Can someone who has walked the Litoral route from Esposende to Viana do Castelo in the last year tell me if the route is clearly marked and are the boardwalks intact or if is there a lot of beach/sand walking? Links to maps would be welcome! Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

Can someone who has walked the Litoral route from Esposende to Viana do Castelo in the last year tell me if the route is clearly marked and are the boardwalks intact or if is there a lot of beach/sand walking? Links to maps would be welcome! Thank you!
Hello: I walked this route in early September this year (my first Camino). Route was clearly marked and boardwalks were in tact. It was one of my favorite days on the Camino. I followed the advice on the Wise Pilgrim app and made a right after walking over the Ponte do Sebastiao bridge. If you go this way, you’re rewarded by the gorgeous Mosteriro de sao Romao de Neiva church. Look for the Roman inscription inside. It’s one of the oldest known spots on the Camino. Enjoy!

I followed the advice on the Wise Pilgrim app and made a right after walking over the Ponte do Sebastiao bridge. If you go this way, you’re rewarded by the gorgeous Mosteriro de sao Romao de Neiva church. Look for the Roman inscription inside. It’s one of the oldest known spots on the Camino. Enjoy!
I believe you’re talking about the ‘official’ coastal route here (which heads inland on this stage), whereas @Hareforit wants to take the Litoral alternative along the coast instead.

I also took the inland ‘coastal’ route on this day including the right turn after the bridge, so I can’t help regarding the SL. My summary of this stage is here.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I believe you’re talking about the ‘official’ coastal route here (which heads inland on this stage), whereas @Hareforit wants to take the Litoral alternative along the coast instead.

I also took the inland ‘coastal’ route on this day including the right turn after the bridge, so I can’t help regarding the SL. My summary of this stage is here.
Ah you’re right. I took the route recommended by both Wise Pilgrim & Brierley. I walked in the sand a bit during my walk—after Labruge & on the way to Vigo. Wasn’t bad & the gorgeous Portuguese coastal views made it well worth it. Bom Camino!

Yes I've been both ways after Sebastaio Bridge. It's easier to follow if you go right the official way as you keep to the yellow arrows etc. Left is less well signed but still an adventure as you get to see more coast compared with interior route so if you use my mate's Luis Freixo's maps (he doesn't charge pilgrims a dime to use his info etc !) see http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/CA02.GUIA-POVOA-MARINHAS-x-2.pdf & http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/CA03.GUIA-ESPOSENDE-VIANA-x2.pdf

Last edited:
Hello,

i walked it in May. Beautiful, easy walk. In some places not marked well but easily corrected. In some places the sand covers the boardwalk but usually for only a few hundred yards. I didn't need them but if the wind is blowing have some swimmers goggles to protect your eyes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

Hello fellow pilgrim. We did that part of the Coastal route as the Littoral route in October this year. Beautiful surf on rocky shoreline. We got a lot of rain and wind, although the temperature was mild. The route was marked very well, you’ll pass by many small farms. The boardwalks were also in good condition.

Hello,

I walked it in October and turned left after the bridge. Although there were few Camino markings there were many red/white GR indicators which aided navigation.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back