• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending a non-backpack with Correos?

mkg1284

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte
Hello- I’m planning to walk the Norte from Irun and will be considering sending some of my gear via Correos for the harder stages in the beginning to lighten my pack and spare my knees. I’d want to still use my backpack for hydration/keeping valuables with me while hiking. Would Correos take a reusable shopping bag double-knotted in lieu of a backpack? Is it worth carrying a light duffel /something that would fully zip? The gear I’d send isn’t valuable (clothes & toiletries), but I’d obviously like it to arrive at the next stage.

Thanks for any advice!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would say that they probably would. You could also consider something like this that is lightweight.
Or maybe a dry bag that you can close fairly securely.

I've used Correos to ship forward. I send a 2nd pair of shoes and socks to a prearranged hotel in Leon from Madrid, when I did the CF from SJPdP.
It worked great. I also sent my little travel case to Ivars storage place from a Madrid...it was there when I finished a month later.
Correos is excellent.
I just wrap my stuff in plastic & cello tape with a label and they sent it on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've also sent things by correos to Ivar to hold and to Correos offices as well as hotels. I love Correos! They have packing envelopes, boxes and such for a nominal fee.

I've also sent things by correos to Ivar to hold and to Correos offices as well as hotels. I love Correos! They have packing envelopes, boxes and such for a nominal fee.
This thread isn't about shipping something to Santiago. @mkg1284 is asking if it would be okay to use a cloth shopping bag to send some of their pack contents on a day by day basis.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not sure about official requirements, if any, but you need to be able to tie an identity label to your bag in a secure manner and it would be advisable to present it in a manner that keeps your stuff inside the bag despite some probable rough handling.

Something to consider is that the vehicles used to transport the bags regularly have a large number of different bags in them, packed closely, for a couple of hours.

In this situation, if one of the bags had managed to get infected with bedbugs then there is a good chance that the bedbugs would migrate to nearby bags that were not completely sealed.

In your situation, I would take @trecile 's suggestion and use a robust dry bag that could be completely sealed rather than a shopping bag that might have some convenient openings in it.

In Fall 2021, we bought a cardboard box at the correo to ship forward duffel bags we used for our backpacks for the flight to Spain. No problems at all, and they couldn't be nicer. So that might also be an option.

We've used an inexpensive duffle bag from IKEA and is under $10 USD. It folds completely flat when not needed and holds as much as a backpack. I know it can be transported as we used different services last year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We've used an inexpensive duffle bag from IKEA and is under $10 USD. It folds completely flat when not needed and holds as much as a backpack. I know it can be transported as we used different services last year.
We did this - bought a cheap bag and s couple of small padlocks just so that zips stayed closed. They required a secure bag as the couriers pick ip several at s time at each pickup/dropoff. We then donated it for other pilgrims to use - we only used local bag transportation services but they were excellent. In Burgos we had booked an Airbnb for a treat - and they couldn't get access - but they left it at the Municipal Albergue a few doors along for safety. They know their areas very well - and we booked online. 👍

I am not sure about official requirements, if any, but you need to be able to tie an identity label to your bag in a secure manner and it would be advisable to present it in a manner that keeps your stuff inside the bag despite some probable rough handling.

Something to consider is that the vehicles used to transport the bags regularly have a large number of different bags in them, packed closely, for a couple of hours.

In this situation, if one of the bags had managed to get infected with bedbugs then there is a good chance that the bedbugs would migrate to nearby bags that were not completely sealed.

In your situation, I would take @trecile 's suggestion and use a robust dry bag that could be completely sealed rather than a shopping bag that might have some convenient openings in it.
Thank you so much- these are extremely helpful considerations.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back