• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2012 Pilgrim

Danaher

Hello, I am Mary from Coronado Ca USA. Looking forward to the Camino. Many thanks to everyone
who has posted so many useful hints for making the Camino. I am trying to keep my weight to 12 lbs total including my backpack. So far, so good. What about an extra pair of shoes? Do you just get sick of wearing the same shoes all day long and night? Suggestions...sandals ? Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I swear by CROCS CLEO SANDALS, weight next to nothing, very comfy, just walked 12 km in them, perfect in the shower too and you can wear thin socks in them. They last and last too. Cheers, Gitti

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
barefeet is just to dangerous
I have seen pilgrims denied entrance because of barefeet. A second pair of full-duty footwear is generally considered unnecessary, so I suggest going with Crocs, sandals, or zoris.

Mary, I am also going to walk the Camino Frances starting August 31, 2012 if all things go as planned...which I know they often don't! I am trying to connect with folks who will be there when I am. I live in Vancouver, Washington. When are you thinking of going? Jenny

Hi my name is Julia, and I am from Victoria in Australia, I am 66 and starting my first Camino in September 2012.I have been following these posts for a while and would like to thank you for all the wonderful information I have gathered .It looks like I may not have the travelling companion that was to come but I am less concerned about that now because of your reassurance that a lot of older people start out alone. :D Julia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello to the September 2012 "class". My daughter (Brighid) and I (Joan) will be walking along beside you, so to speak, this September. I'm taking advantage of sales going on in my community (Comox, BC, Canada) to pick up things for the journey at very reasonable prices. Walking almost every day and will start breaking in those boots purchased for the journey. The "why" question was asked of me recently. I responded by saying that "gratitude" is what bubbles up when I ask myself the same question. Apart from that, I said, I'm leaving the "door" open. For those living on Vancouver Island (and perhaps the San Juans or the n.w. of Washington State, you may be interested to know that a meeting of veterans and "newbies" is being held in Victoria, BC on March 24th. May we all enjoy the journey we're on now as we prepare for taking that first step in September.

HI Julie, I'm also from Victoria and walked the Camino Frances in 2010 and part of it in 2011. It was the most fantastic time for me and I hope to walk the Camino Portugues in September this year. Just remember, take your time and enjoy every day. Don't rush and walk your own walk. I'm 60 this year and hope to do many more walks in the years to come.

shallow7 said:
looks like I may not have the travelling companion that was to come
Hi Julia,
Good for you, I think you'll find you won't be on your own for long. Lots of good folk to meet along the way.
Buen Camino.
Col

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
shallow7 said:
Hi my name is Julia, and I am from Victoria in Australia, I am 66 and starting my first Camino in September 2012.I have been following these posts for a while and would like to thank you for all the wonderful information I have gathered .It looks like I may not have the travelling companion that was to come but I am less concerned about that now because of your reassurance that a lot of older people start out alone. :D Julia

I'll be there Julia! Gerad here and I'm coming on my own in September too! 67 and from Brisbane. Booked my flight today. We are going to be just fine and we are going to have a great time

Hi Julia: When will you start your walk in September? My plan is to start on Sept. 27. I am 66 and from Alberta Canada. I have booked my flight and am very excited! Still have a lot to learn and will read a lot of posts between now and then, for sure!

Buen Camino!
Ellen

Hi Mary - I too am hoping to start the Camino in Sept - the 11th stood out for me when I looked at the calendar. I'm 62, female, fairly fit (or so I hope) and also doing it solo. I'm just gathering information at the moment and also looking at buying a sleeping bag of some descriptionl I'm fromn Buckinghamshire in England, go walking every Sunday with a group, doing anything from 7 - 15 miles. If you're going to about St Jean on the 11/12th I'd love to meet up to start with you.

Best wishes

kay

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
looks like there are a bunch of us getting all giddy with excitement over the thought of the Camino! my son and i plan to leave washougal,wash. mid to late august to be done by end of sept 2012 or thereabouts. he, because he's young and adventurous, me because i'm recently retired and ready for some living. looking forward to hearing about others ideas on planning.

Without a doubt you will find a light pair of cross-trainers and a pair of flipflops most usefull, just remember to break your boots in before you go and be sure you have a very snug fitting pair. I walked in cross-trainers in the cities and some of the Meseta, the flips were great for end of day relaxing and to wear while showering also for walking in cool water streams along the way.

Hi Mary - I've just noticed that you are starting in September, as I'm a single female also starting in Sept I was wondering what date you start. I'm arriving in St Jean on the 3rd Sept and will start out on the 4th. After reading a great number of posts I'm booking a night at Orisson (whenny son arranges to pay via paypal!!) to break myself in gently.

Look forward to hearing from you

Kay

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
gerardcarey said:
shallow7 said:

I'll be there Julia! Gerad here and I'm coming on my own in September too! 67 and from Brisbane. Booked my flight today. We are going to be just fine and we are going to have a great time

Hi, Julia and Gerard! I'm Meredith from South Carolina, I'm 68, and planning my first Camino (the Frances route) also for September, most likely leaving from here around Sept. 7 or 8--everything's still flexible. This forum is incredibly valuable--I'd been concerned about going alone but have been very encouraged by the comments I've read at this site. Now I just need to work out the timing for my route: where to start in order to finish in Santiago within (approximately) 17-18 days, without having to rush.

Good luck with your preparations!

Meredith1 said:
Now I just need to work out the timing for my route: where to start in order to finish in Santiago within (approximately) 17-18 days, without having to rush.
Hi Meredith, You could comfortably walk from Leon in about 14 days which would leave you a few days buffer in case you want to do a couple of shorter days, sightsee along the way, take the bus to Finisterre, have extra time in Santiago at the end etc.

shallow7 said:

Hi Julia and everyone!

'Me too, me too!' :D - Im a solo, female pilgrim from Melbourne, Australia and I'm starting at SJPP, around Sept 17 -18-ish. Thankyou to everyone for your posts and I have many more questions which I might ask later! Julia, I plan to do the CAE Camino course in May, are you doing it? Have read 9(!) Camino books so far and am obsessively researching like the little Virgo that I am, helped along by everyone's posts. Already started packing Im so excited!

Sabina

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back