• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Peregrinos

We arrive in STJDP on the 4th September, have the 5th there having a look around and start walking on the 6th. I feel like going to the "start line" on the 5th and waving off those who are leaving that day! Buen Camino.
Please DO!! But be prepared to be dragged along! :)
Buen Camino!
Terry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi DeadFread and fellow Peregrinos, my name is Jane from Cape Town South Africa :) I am overnighting in Bayonne on the 1st Sept, then by train to SJPdP, staying in Cottage Ultreia on the 2nd, then on to Orrison for the 3rd and then on to Santiago :) by mid October. Hope to meet up with some of you along The Way :)

Jane ! We are following in your (and many more Peregrinos) footsteps(9/26) . We hopefully won't meet ( if we do you are most likely probably layed up :( ) . Wish you an incredible Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We'll.... I haven't booked a room yet. I'm starting from San Francisco- Ethiopia-Paris and down to SJDP. I'm trying sort out the arrival times and if I should grab the train down or fly down to Bayonne ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, My husband and I are new and are wondering where to fly in. We're starting from Southern CA. We were thinking of starting our walk at SJPP. We haven't been able to do a lot of prep because of my recent surgery but we've been talking about this for a long time and right now, we have the time to enjoy. I'd love to know where you all start. I'm more nervous about flying in, how to deal with gear on the flight, getting to the right place after we land, booking a place to stay that first night and getting an early start.

Susie

updated 7/12.

August 23 -Geoff Stewart, Allister and Diane
August 24-zolarose
August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife
August 28th - Agnogel, Sami Aaltonen
August 31st -Oso, lhlyda
September 1st -Kiwi-D , gwDelmar , me.andmyshadow, Ahaj, Skudah
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea ,Purrrrple Panda
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon) clearskies, el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantna, DaleKathryn
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura, Denise Aldridge, Denisealldridge,
jessica.vthhiker,
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara
September 10th
September 11th
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, Jacquelineharris, alrushton
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law
September 14th -Walking Man 06, RogerM, Cate A
September 15th -Janet Ellen, Marilyn Russell
September 16th -Jabaldo, Great Dane (Zubiri), twojay54
September 17th- -Zarniwoop, jessica.vthhiker
J18th
September 19th -Holly, ksam
September 20th -Jamie Archer, AnnieY
September 21st -Adhemar78
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles)
September 24th -Annie Little
September 25th-s3sfamily(Leon)
September 26th - DeadFred, Bernatchez M , organflute, Rachel_1981
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaimee
Kat started in June , her Camino ended painfully but with many caring friends . If you haven't heard her story I recommend it .
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...amino-doesnt-go-as-planned.27673/#post-225613

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, My husband and I are new and are wondering where to fly in. We're starting from Southern CA. We were thinking of starting our walk at SJPP. We haven't been able to do a lot of prep because of my recent surgery but we've been talking about this for a long time and right now, we have the time to enjoy. I'd love to know where you all start. I'm more nervous about flying in, how to deal with gear on the flight, getting to the right place after we land, booking a place to stay that first night and getting an early start.

Susie

Susie .. This forum can answer all your questions , it's incredible , especially it's members . You said recovering from surgery ? Are you going to plan your trip for when you recover ? I ask because I cannot imagine the terms , "trekking , backpack, and recovery" in the same action plan . We haven't left yet ( 71 days ) but our planning and training has taken 2 years . Laurie is "Recovering" from double masectomny .. she will be considered cancer free in a couple weeks( according to our insurance peeps) . This ( The Camino ) is our celebration . I hope your planning to celebrate your recovery , and not walk during it. IMHO That would be dicey

Joe

Ohhhh Ya !
I think I am in there twice... I could not log in so I opened a new account... After doing that I remembered what my login name was and password... The Denise Aldridge ... Is the wrong account , my real account is denisealldridge .... This is me leaving on SJDP on the 7th staying at Orrison that night.... Travelling with my brother Greg Newman... Sorry about the mix up, I will close the wrong account....
:)Denise

Hi Mary Kate,
My husband and I arrive in Bayonne on Sept 10th and take the train to SJPP where will we rest a day and start off on the 12th. Join us and the rest of the crew who will be doing the CF. We are quite a bunch!!
Thanks for the warm invitation. It means a lot. Reading through this and other threads it looks like a great bunch of pilgrims on the CF in Sept. I may see you all there yet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jacqueline. We (4) are staying night of the 11th at L'Aubergue du Pelerin. I've stayed there before and it's quite satisfactory. It's just up the Rue de la Citadelle from Beilari where petitewalker is staying. Mary, barber 1586, is staying at L'Aubergue too.
http://aubergedupelerin.com/index.php
alrushton - Come bang on our door, don't be a stranger.
Regds
Gerard
hi, myself and my sister linda will be arriving in sjdp on the 10th also ,,, cant wait ,giddy with excitment and nerves,so so excited ,,

updated 7/14.

August 23 -Geoff Stewart, Allister
August 24-zolarose
August 31st -Oso, lhlyda
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea ,Purrrrple Panda
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon) clearskies, el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura, Denisealldridge,
jessica.vthhiker,
September 8th
September 10th
September 11th
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, Jacquelineharris, alrushton
J18th
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 25th-s3sfamily(Leon)
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaimee
this is great to be able to see you is leaving and when , would you mind adding me[jennie n my sister linda ]will arrive in sjdp sept 10th start walking on 11th ?

this is great to be able to see you is leaving and when , would you mind adding me[jennie n my sister linda ]will arrive in sjdp sept 10th start walking on 11th ?
Where are you staying on the 10th?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where are you staying on the 10th?
I had not even considered booking somewhere to stay but am now wondering if maybe we should,, had no prob last year but that was in the beginning of oct,

I had not even considered booking somewhere to stay but am now wondering if maybe we should,, had no prob last year but that was in the beginning of oct,
From what I've been reading early to mid September can still be quite busy. We're staying at Bielari and it is already booked full.

Hi Jennie
I recommend Gite Ultreia..I along with others are staying there. It is run by a fab couple, Bernard and Fafa....15euro for one night stay.
http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/
You can make a reservation on their website..or call them if you wish.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there everyone! It's Josie here, I've been seeing mentions about a calendar, can someone please tell me what that is? Thanks!

Hi Josie
If you go to the top of the page, and click on 'Events', it brings up the calendar,
and you can add your start date to that if you wish

Joe

updated 7/14.

Hi
I start my first Camino from Lourdes on the 11th September
Piemonte route, to SJPP, probably around 18th
then Camino Frances to SdC
-Nothing booked apart from my train to Lourdes !

No idea when I'll get there,
but I will !,
although I don't have any time pressures

Looking forward to seeing everyone

Joe
:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jennie
I recommend Gite Ultreia..I along with others are staying there. It is run by a fab couple, Bernard and Fafa....15euro for one night stay.
http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/
You can make a reservation on their website..or call them if you wish.
thank you so much for that info,i will check it out,

Starting on September 3rd out of Madrid, on the Camino de Madrid! (Kinda wish there were others).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm wondering about the first day up the Pyrenees Mountains. My intent is to leave SJPDP and walk right to Roncesvalles but I'm wondering if that might be to much for the first day. I see that some have booked in at Orisson for the first night of the trek. I'm wondering if I should be doing the same and if my desire to go straight to Roncesvalles is unrealistic. With Orisson being the last place to bed down for the night I fear my goals are exceeding my physical capabilities and/or if I may be overdoing it the first day. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!!

I'm wondering about the first day up the Pyrenees Mountains. My intent is to leave SJPDP and walk right to Roncesvalles but I'm wondering if that might be to much for the first day. I see that some have booked in at Orisson for the first night of the trek. I'm wondering if I should be doing the same and if my desire to go straight to Roncesvalles is unrealistic. With Orisson being the last place to bed down for the night I fear my goals are exceeding my physical capabilities and/or if I may be overdoing it the first day. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!!

Jacqueline,

Unless you are an experienced hiker and in top shape I would suggest that you DO stop at Orisson your first night on the camino. In your eagerness to set off DO NOT try to do too much too fast! Be sure to read what other pilgrims have written on walking in the Pyrenees and on starting off slow.

When you first arrive in SJPdP visit the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle for the current weather forecast and trail conditions. They can also provide you with a Credential and on-site lodging assistance

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

last year i travelled with my dad 62 yrs old with a stent ,i pre booked orrison and was happy with that as if something happened to dad i may as well keep walking cos the rest of the family would kill me but i could not stop him :mad:he was like a naughty kid ! we left sjdp early and got to orrison before 11, so he pushed and badgered me till i cancelled the booking and we carried on ,we did it fine however the mist and fog set in about half hour after we left orrison so did not get to see much but hey we did it and he was happy, i on the other hand text home to say sorry but i could not stop him[to cover my back]

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no way to delete the wron account .. Oh well at least you have only me now on the list not my alias .. Ha! Looking forward to meeting some of the September pilgrims .. Only 6 weeks now to go

All those that are leaving on the 5th where are you staying in SJPP on the 3rd or 4th it may be a time to catch up for a starters meal.

last year i travelled with my dad 62 yrs old with a stent ,i pre booked orrison and was happy with that as if something happened to dad i may as well keep walking cos the rest of the family would kill me but i could not stop him :mad:he was like a naughty kid ! we left sjdp early and got to orrison before 11, so he pushed and badgered me till i cancelled the booking and we carried on ,we did it fine however the mist and fog set in about half hour after we left orrison so did not get to see much but hey we did it and he was happy, i on the other hand text home to say sorry but i could not stop him[to cover my back]
That's awesome!! Your dad was obviously in half decent shape to start with? My concern now is what time (average) did you arrive in Roncesvalles? Was it dark or nearing dark? I'm afraid if I walk by Orisson that I will end up sleeping under the start my first night on the Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jacqueline,

Unless you are an experienced hiker and in top shape I would suggest that you DO stop at Orisson your first night on the camino. In your eagerness to set off DO NOT try to do too much too fast! Be sure to read what other pilgrims have written on walking in the Pyrenees and on starting off slow.

When you first arrive in SJPdP visit the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle for the current weather forecast and trail conditions. They can also provide you with a Credential and on-site lodging assistance

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Hi Margaret, We are thinking of walking to Orisson, having a rest and some food then walking on to Pic D'Orisson so Day 2 will be from Pic to Roncesvalles. We will get a taxi back to SJPDP and return to Pic the next day. Do you see any problems with doing the extra 3.8ks? Caroline from Bouricat told me there is a shuttle bus to Orisson of a morning carrying people who go back to SJPDP to sleep, but if we decide to go on to Pic she will organise a taxi for us. Thanks

Hi Margaret, We are thinking of walking to Orisson, having a rest and some food then walking on to Pic D'Orisson so Day 2 will be from Pic to Roncesvalles. We will get a taxi back to SJPDP and return to Pic the next day. Do you see any problems with doing the extra 3.8ks? Caroline from Bouricat told me there is a shuttle bus to Orisson of a morning carrying people who go back to SJPDP to sleep, but if we decide to go on to Pic she will organise a taxi for us. Thanks

Sriyantra,

SINCE I have never walked the Napoleon route but always the Valcarlos alternate I can not give you first hand knowledge. The weather, the state of the trail and, of course, your health and energy would be the determining factors.

Margaret Meredith

The average pilgrim (that's you & me) can manage 3ks an hour going uphill, and 4ks an hour on levelish ground.
So find out how far it is SJPdP to Orisson, then Orisson to Roncesvalles, both 3ks an hr stages.
You can then ascertain how long it will take.
Remember to add on one 1/2 hr meal break for every 2 hrs of walk, and a few 10min stops for sightseeing at eg. the Virgen of Biakorri, the coffee van, Rolands fountain.
Hi ho, hi ho, it's o'er the mountain we go.
Hooray for us!
Gerard

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The average pilgrim (that's you & me) can manage 3ks an hour going uphill, and 4ks an hour on levelish ground.
So find out how far it is SJPdP to Orisson, then Orisson to Roncesvalles, both 3ks an hr stages.
You can then ascertain how long it will take.
Remember to add on one 1/2 hr meal break for every 2 hrs of walk, and a few 10min stops for sightseeing at eg. the Virgen of Biakorri, the coffee van, Rolands fountain.
Hi ho, hi ho, it's o'er the mountain we go.
Hooray for us!
Gerard
Thanks for that info Gerard! The total kms from SJPDP to Roncesvalles is 27.5kms. It's 7.6kms from SJPDP to Orisson. So that will take a little over two hours. So, say I left SJPDP at 6:30 then I'll arrive at Orisson approximately 9am. There is still a full day ahead!! But the distance between Orisson and Roncesvalles is approximately another 20kms. That's another 7 hours, no breaks included!! So in saying that, many people have done the whole distance from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day. I guess the only thing for me to do, is to do the trek to Orisson and then decide from that if I'm brave enough to continue the rest of the distance. Just play it by ear and see how it unfolds.
OMG, only 52 days to go before I leave for my journey!!
HORRAY for us!!!
Buen Camino!

Thanks for that info Gerard! The total kms from SJPDP to Roncesvalles is 27.5kms. It's 7.6kms from SJPDP to Orisson. So that will take a little over two hours. So, say I left SJPDP at 6:30 then I'll arrive at Orisson approximately 9am. There is still a full day ahead!! But the distance between Orisson and Roncesvalles is approximately another 20kms. That's another 7 hours, no breaks included!! So in saying that, many people have done the whole distance from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day. I guess the only thing for me to do, is to do the trek to Orisson and then decide from that if I'm brave enough to continue the rest of the distance. Just play it by ear and see how it unfolds.
OMG, only 52 days to go before I leave for my journey!!
HORRAY for us!!!
Buen Camino!

The only problem with that Jacqueline is that Orison only has 18 beds. Unless you have a reservation the decision is pretty well made for you.

Buen Camino!

Fr. Moses

The only problem with that Jacqueline is that Orison only has 18 beds. Unless you have a reservation the decision is pretty well made for you.

Buen Camino!

Fr. Moses
Awwww hence the bus that leaves Orisson to bring people back to SJPDP for the night. So I guess you are right then in saying my decision has already been made. I either book a second night in SJPDP or continue on to Roncesvalles. Am I able to book a reservation in Roncesvalles?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Awwww hence the bus that leaves Orisson to bring people back to SJPDP for the night. So I guess you are right then in saying my decision has already been made. I either book a second night in SJPDP or continue on to Roncesvalles. Am I able to book a reservation in Roncesvalles?
I guess that would work! LOL. I'm told a reservation in Roncesvalles is not required and is a big hassle to make requiring a bank transfer.

Jacqueline,

The monastery albergue in Roncesvalles has space for 183 pilgrims plus 'hidden' overflow room. I doubt that you would need to book ahead . However if you wish to book at the monastery albergue see this web.

Buen Camino,
http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/reservas.php
Margaret Meredith

Jacqueline,

The monastery albergue in Roncesvalles has space for 183 pilgrims plus 'hidden' overflow room. I doubt that you would need to book ahead . However if you wish to book at the monastery albergue see this web.

Buen Camino,
Margaret Meredith
Thank you Monk Moses and Margaret! This is my first Camino so I am unsure of what to do or what to expect. But I guess I will learn very quickly when I get there, just like every other pilgrim! Learn as I go! :)
Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Monk Moses and Margaret! This is my first Camino so I am unsure of what to do or what to expect. But I guess I will learn very quickly when I get there, just like every other pilgrim! Learn as I go! :)
Buen Camino!!

Jacqueline when do you head out on The Way?

The total kms from SJPDP to Roncesvalles is 27.5kms. It's 7.6kms from SJPDP to Orisson. So that will take a little over two hours. So, say I left SJPDP at 6:30 then I'll arrive at Orisson approximately 9am. There is still a full day ahead!! But the distance between Orisson and Roncesvalles is approximately another 20kms. That's another 7 hours, no breaks included!! So in saying that, many people have done the whole distance from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day. !

All this is true. I walked the Camino in Sept 2012 and planning to start this year Aug 31 this year. When I walked in 12, we left at 7:10 from SJPP. I was walking with a group I had met on here. We took our time and took pictures, laughed and talked the whole way. It took us to 9:30 to Orisson, stopped for refreshments for about half an hour. We walked on to Roncesvalles. And yes, we stopped at the coffee van, had lunch at the statue (45 min) and photo ops at the fountain. We arrived in Roncesvalles at 4:10 pm.

We all were not in top shape but fair shape. We were tired when we got there and we got in some of that hidden overflow talked about.

This time, I plan on leaving at 6 am, and pretty much approach it the same way, enjoy the scenery and company along the way!

Remember, weather can be a factor too.

Remember, its the journey to enjoy.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino!!
Trust, Jacqueline. That might be the first thing to work on -- trust that the Camino WILL provide. When trust works, it makes everything so much easier, and leaves you open to more and varied experiences...
Buen Camino!!
Terry

Who might be staying at Beilari the night of 4th Sept and walking on 5 Sept? I think I've found Calideb2014 - anyone else?

Where are you staying on the 10th? I'm booked in at the Auberque du Pelerin!
i was thinking that as we hope to arrive in sjdp early afternoon that it might be an option to walk to orrison {i have sent them a message but no reply yet]and spend the first night there ?

I've been looking for a group for interaction of the Septmember 2014 folks and haven't had much success . Figure I would hop in here and start one , then I would get a ton of emails telling me were at least five such threads dwell . If I don't then , Welcome to the only verified , validated, Ivar approved ( I hope :) ) Camino September 2014 Topic( as of 2/6/2014) . All are welcome of course. Except for the Janurary Pilgrims .. cause something just isn't right if your going in Janurary ( Brrrrr)

Joe here , Arkansas , Heading out and up on the 26th to Orission of the Camino Francis with my wife & son . Ticketed and almost equiped . Oh Boy!.
I leave Charlotte NC on 9/2 and will head out of SJPD on the 5th, stopping at Orisson. I'm traveling alone and really getting excited!

We arrive in STJDP on the 4th September, have the 5th there having a look around and start walking on the 6th. I feel like going to the "start line" on the 5th and waving off those who are leaving that day! Buen Camino. Haven't got time to write more I need to get out and train! Today it is along the Hervey Bay Esplanade, low 20s in temperature, calm wide bay alongside with beautiful aqua blue water, and more coffee shops than Brazil has to stop at when needed. Want to do 20ks today.
We did 23ks and stopped for coffee twice, including a lovely Swiss Patisserie where instead of the usual sweet pastry we were so hungry that we had Quiche, and a further stop for a milkshake. It was all flat walking but we didn't feel over extended at any time. The next day our bodies didn't feel as though we had walked at all. So we are good in sunshine and flat terrain......now those hills we are still working on. Unfortunately we only have tiny hills where we live so we are going up and down the same ones and trying not to get bored in the process. Buen Camino

updated 7/19.

August 23 rd-Geoff Stewart, Allister
August 24th- zolarose
August25th -Angelo
August29th- gimpywalker
August 31st -Oso, lhyda ,
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea,Purrrrple Panda
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA ,Linda Wentzel
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura, Denisealldridge,
jessica.vthhiker,
September 8th
September 10th
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,jennie and her sister Linda,
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton
September 18th
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 25th-s4sfamily(Leon)
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaimee

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
67 days ... beginning to feel lightheaded and disoriented, my list is growing , all of the questions I have been asking myself about this trek for two years has developed into a ferocious wind devil spinning around in my head . The " What if" is beginning to Reign , the folks at work ask me daily "How Many Days!?" I now have Fans?? Oh the responsibility of it all. ... so ends the rant ... Onward! Salli forth! Like those Peregrenos' whose path we follow and oh ya an have a wee little wine as we head west . :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Leave SA on the 2nd arrive SJPdP late on the 4th and start on the 5th after buying a proper poncho (!) ... not sure if I can manage the distance to Roncesvalles in one go? (Walked a 16km today to see how I'am doing) Realy want to enjoy and savour the mountain walk and also the broad leave forest which should change colours?

September looks great. Wife and I, along with friend and his wife arrive in Madrid Sept 12, gals take train to Lisbon, guys take train to Ponferrada, arrive 8pm need a place to stay near train station allowing 13 days to Santiago on Sept 26, we reunite with wives. When we return to Madrid, need hotel near airport. Any recommendations in Ponferrada, and then Madrid airport?

Welcome to the forum
You will be a fee days ahead of myself and my wife. This to is our first Camino. We depart SJPP on the 16th. See you along the trail.
Buen Camino
Jabaldo, we live outside of Elmira, assuming you live in Ithaca, we are a little walk between.Since we fly out here on Sept 11 doubt we'd meet on Camino, maybe we'll meet around here on the road.
Buen Camino!

Jabaldo, we live outside of Elmira, assuming you live in Ithaca, we are a little walk between.Since we fly out here on Sept 11 doubt we'd meet on Camino, maybe we'll meet around here on the road.
Buen Camino!
Hi Don. I summer near Cortland. Guess we are neighbors!!!!! Ed

HalfDome, we are grads of Cortland. Settled in these parts. These Finger Lakes are beautiful. I have biked around all of them. Been biking and walking in preparation for this 150 mile portion of el Camino. How was your Camino ?

HalfDome, we are grads of Cortland. Settled in these parts. These Finger Lakes are beautiful. I have biked around all of them. Been biking and walking in preparation for this 150 mile portion of el Camino. How was your Camino ?
Hi Half dome (Ed) and Donn Hoff,
My husband and I live in Dryden during the summers and Sarasota, Fl. in the winter. We are leaving Sept. 9th from Syracuse and will start our Camino from SJPP on the 12th just a few days before Jabaldo.

€149,-
I read your exuberant note on the countdown of 50 days until you leave.
It got me thinking....how many days for us?
If I get started, I am a calendar/clock watcher...although I try to be in the Present, and live in the Moment, I am into Family History and gave some 10,000 names on our tree, and if given encouragement, go back 5 generations in many directions, with names, birth dates, DOD, etc....plus notable facts....
So only 5 months to Christmas, only 4 months until our 77 th birthdays, same year one day apart, 4 months to celebrate the day we were engaged, only 1 month to our 54th Wedding Anniversary, see..... It is endemic for family historians.
So, I figured it out...... Advanced math skills, checking the calendar, noticing you are leaving 2 days before we do........ I can announce with joy.......only 52 days until we leave!! Now to stop singing...."All our bags are packed, we're ready to go.......we're leaving on....."

I read your exuberant note on the countdown of 50 days until you leave.
It got me thinking....how many days for us?
If I get started, I am a calendar/clock watcher...although I try to be in the Present, and live in the Moment, I am into Family History and gave some 10,000 names on our tree, and if given encouragement, go back 5 generations in many directions, with names, birth dates, DOD, etc....plus notable facts....
So only 5 months to Christmas, only 4 months until our 77 th birthdays, same year one day apart, 4 months to celebrate the day we were engaged, only 1 month to our 54th Wedding Anniversary, see..... It is endemic for family historians.
So, I figured it out...... Advanced math skills, checking the calendar, noticing you are leaving 2 days before we do........ I can announce with joy.......only 52 days until we leave!! Now to stop singing...."All our bags are packed, we're ready to go.......we're leaving on....."
Hi Don Hoff, I think you need to get out for a nice looooong walk. :) (I mean this in the nicest possible way!)
Mary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Linda Wentzel you will have good company on the 5th that's for sure. :)
quick question , I arrive into birritz on wed 10th at 12.55 since you have done this a few time in your opinion would I be able to get to sjpdp in time to walk to orrison before 6.30 I would like to book orrison but they said I must arrive by 6.30?

quick question , I arrive into birritz on wed 10th at 12.55 since you have done this a few time in your opinion would I be able to get to sjpdp in time to walk to orrison before 6.30 I would like to book orrison but they said I must arrive by 6.30?

Hi Jennie
You will be stretching it I reckon. I haven't walked from St Jean to Roncesvalles yet but I'm sure there will be others who can give you a definite answer.

I arrive in Biarritz before 1pm also. There is a train / bus after 2pm from Bayonne and that could take an hour and a half to get to St Jean.
So let's say you arrive in St Jean at 4pm..will you make it to Orisson by half 6? It is a close call.

I'm walking to Orisson and staying for two reasons: 1. I'm a 55 yr old flatlander with mild MS, and 2. I'm a fast walker who needs the reminder to slow down on this journey. For me, it is a spiritual pilgrimage, not a tour. I have to remind myself to slow down.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Camino Don,
Do be careful out there on your bikes. As beautiful as it is up here, biking can be dangerous. My husband was run over just two years ago at age 63 while biking in broad daylite on a 1/2 mile straight away here in Dryden/Harford. So much for trying to stay in shape. The driver just zoned out and drove into the breakdown/bike lane. Two many injuries to list but he took a helicopter ride to trauma center in Johnson City and spent two weeks in ICU plus additional time in rehab. Now he is sporting a very expensive titanium rod in his left leg. This Camino for us has a deep meaning for his recovery and the fact that he is still with us. I hope you wear a helmet (his/what's left of it saved his life) He also had a broken neck, but without the helmet he surely would not be doing this walk. Stay safe on those bikes.
Linda

Hi Don Hoff, I think you need to get out for a nice looooong walk. :) (I mean this in the nicest possible way!)
Mary
Thank you Mary... Yes a nice looooong walk.
There are probably some who say I don't sit still.
Try to walk in the AM and bike in the afternoon
Gives me plenty of time to think about so many things like Camino.
Today alittle on the warm side plus many last minute plans before we leave in 52 days.

Hi Camino Don,
Do be careful out there on your bikes. As beautiful as it is up here, biking can be dangerous. My husband was run over just two years ago at age 63 while biking in broad daylite on a 1/2 mile straight away here in Dryden/Harford. So much for trying to stay in shape. The driver just zoned out and drove into the breakdown/bike lane. Two many injuries to list but he took a helicopter ride to trauma center in Johnson City and spent two weeks in ICU plus additional time in rehab. Now he is sporting a very expensive titanium rod in his left leg. This Camino for us has a deep meaning for his recovery and the fact that he is still with us. I hope you wear a helmet (his/what's left of it saved his life) He also had a broken neck, but without the helmet he surely would not be doing this walk. Stay safe on those bikes.
Linda

Linda, thank you for the word of caution. One must be a Defensive Rider, but that is no guarantee , as you know. I have been hit once by a car, but came away unscathed,
I always wear a helmet, third eye, use hand signals, wear bright colors, look into the car windows of drivers to see if they see me, etc.
Sorry to hear about the accident with your husband. Recoveries can be quite demanding. What patience and tenacity for you both to be on the Camino, inspirational and good model.

Hi Jennie
You will be stretching it I reckon. I haven't walked from St Jean to Roncesvalles yet but I'm sure there will be others who can give you a definite answer.

I arrive in Biarritz before 1pm also. There is a train / bus after 2pm from Bayonne and that could take an hour and a half to get to St Jean.
So let's say you arrive in St Jean at 4pm..will you make it to Orisson by half 6? It is a close call.
thanks for that "clearskies"I did have doubts but wanted to double check ,so back to the plan A which is to stay in san jean,,its all so exciting,,thanks again,

Found this trailer on an upcoming documentary . Guy walks the Camino whilst pushing his best friend in a wheel chair ..WHOA!
http://illpushyou.com/

Found this trailer on an upcoming documentary . Guy walks the Camino whilst pushing his best friend in a wheel chair ..WHOA!
i had heard about these guys, cant wait to see how they got on,am sure they had tons of support along the way,would have been amazing to have met them ! i hope they had the the most amazing time they are the kind of people that inspire and give hope that will last a life time,

€46,-
Guess what I received in the mail today .!..
85118.jpg
Guess

Buen Camino!
Where are you starting from? We depart SJPP on the 16th and hopefully on to Ron. Our plan is not to have a plan just one day at a time which I must admit is something new for me. The Camino has already made a change in my life.
Buen Camino to you and to all who follow you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Where are you starting from? We depart SJPP on the 16th and hopefully on to Ron. Our plan is not to have a plan just one day at a time which I must admit is something new for me. The Camino has already made a change in my life.
Buen Camino to you and to all who follow you

Jabaldo, we leave here Sept 11, are starting on Sept 13 from around Astorga. We usually make our plans fixed and set on two ends.... As in our planes arriving then departing....in the middle we have an objecting and general aim, but expect the surprises to meet us along the way. It was like that in Nepal, in New Zealand, and even now with 23 years of going to Guatemala where we have been going in support of some missions there. We like to believe that we travel with an openness, and Grace will find us out along the way. We have not been disappointed in that.
Buen Camino

my list is growing . :)
Hi Deadfred,
It took me a while to set a D day. Leaving Oz on 29/8 and catching train from Barcelona to Irun 1st September. Would you add me to your long list please, as starting on 2nd September from Irun. It will be Del Norte though, but you never know, I could meet up with some of you at the other end. I hope so.
Annie

updated 7/24
August 24th- zolarose
August25th -Angelo
August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife, Diegomartine
August29th- gimpywalker
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson,
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura, Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,
September 8th
September 10th
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 18th
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaimee

Last edited:

€46,-
apprehensive!

AnnieY, you bet we are getting excited....it is building day by day.
It is very natural to have some mixed feelings in general...
You have been a Pilgrim since birth, this us one more step.

Interesting that you use the word "Apprehensive"
Many use that as meaning fearful, uncertain, anxious .
I am not saying "don't feel that way"
What I saying us Embrace the word, totally.

It actually has another side in it's meaning...
Think about this it is from the French and means
" Apprehensive.. Means to be perceptive.
To Understand.... To be Keen, To Discern.
It means to Sieze, to Grasp.... To be optimistic and of courage"

How does that hit you?
In Spiritual life, often things take in a new and powerful meaning
When they are turned on their head, and seen upside down.
The Rabbi from Nazareth taught me along that line.

It's a truly beautiful story of two lifelong friends. Honestly, friends since they were days old. They are from here in the States.
One has a degenerative disease that has left him unable to walk, dress, feed and toilet himself. It began after he was married and began a family.
He has a beautiful family at home in Boise, Idaho but he really wanted to make the pilgrimage. He showed his friend a Rick Steeve's video on the Camino, look at him and the friend simply said, "I'll push you." Hence the name of the site.

We too often think of male friendships as just playing ball, drinking beer and cracking jokes and I'm sure they've done that. But the beauty of this relationship is that one man so loves his best friend that he is willing to take on complete care for a month. Think about it. Wow! The pushing is almost secondary. ALMOST!! It was no joke.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Planning on arriving in SJPdP 1st September and walking to Roncesvalles on the second :)

All the way to Finisterre.

Another countdown has begun. 5+ weeks

Who Knows @clearskies , are you really fast or just making some very long walking days ;)

I'll keep my eye out

Arriving in Madrid on Sept. 11th - busing it to Pamplono for a night and then hoping to start the Caminio from SJPDP on September 12th in the am! First timer - very excited, but slightly overwhelmed! See you all out there! Buen Camino!

BTW, Sept Fifth-ers - Are any of you planning to take the Valcarlos route?
I have been giving it some thought. It just might be the way to go for my wife and I . I have been having problems with my left foot so the first day or so I don't want to push it. I have read some posting about the Valcarlos and it sounds ok to me. What are you thoughts?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Arriving in Madrid on Sept. 11th - busing it to Pamplono for a night and then hoping to start the Caminio from SJPDP on September 12th in the am! First timer - very excited, but slightly overwhelmed! See you all out there! Buen Camino!
We're also leaving SJPDP the 12th and are staying in Orrison for the night. What are your plans???

updated 7/24
August 24th- zolarose
August25th -Angelo
August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife, Diegomartine
August29th- gimpywalker
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson,
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura, Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,
September 8th
September 10th
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 18th
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaimee

Looks like there's gonna be a traffic jam on the Camino September 5th. Wow!!!!:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yikes! Guess what Mr. Postman left in our box? Yep, Camino Passports!
Can't wait to get them stamped. The grandkids have stamps, a bunny, duck and goosie. If not the official document, maybe on my sombrero

Looking for un sello - el Pato, ( Duck stamp) or a Road Runner. I will treasure this passport, and people I meet.

All those that are leaving on the 5th where are you staying in SJPP on the 3rd or 4th it may be a time to catch up for a starters meal.
Hello,
The plan is to arrive in the afternoon of 4 Sept , I have lodgings at Gite Ultreia for the night , and pray that the jet lag and the weather permit a joyous start from there bright the next morn.
Best Wishes to all my Unmet Friends
Ron

PS I was recently told that to make plans is to make God laugh.

I have been giving it some thought. It just might be the way to go for my wife and I . I have been having problems with my left foot so the first day or so I don't want to push it. I have read some posting about the Valcarlos and it sounds ok to me. What are you thoughts?
Hi Jabaldo, Personally, I'm looking forward to the lower route this year - different sights and experiences! I had a practically perfect trip over the Napoleon last fall, so don't feel it's necessary to do it again - my knees absolutely agree - and I ALWAYS consult the knees and feet - and treat them well!

Here is a link you might like to look at - in praise of the lower route - http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/ It was started in Dec 2012; last posting in May 2014.

Also, take a look at this website - www.expressbourricot.com - When you get to SJPP and would like an alternative to walking all the way to Roncesvalles, contact Caroline, who operates the Express Bourricot from SJPP to various places. Look in Persons Transportation - and then scroll down to "From Where to Where - SJPP to Roncesvalles" and then just below see the PRICES - see Roncesvalles at 9.30. OR see "The Morning Shuttle" - you might be able to ride up the Napoleon with Caroline (for the views and experience of that route) and possibly back down (to SJPP and then to Roncesvalles) or get out and walk down to Roncesvalles (tho the walk down is just about as strenuous as going UP - but for different muscles and joints! You can call her the day before you start walking to make arrangements - she may come to your albergue to discuss your transport to see what will be available the next day and the cost. Lots of options - and the decision is YOURS alone!

The concern for the lower route is the walk between Valcarlos to Ibañeta - please check the above thread for details. And be sure to check in at the Pilgrim office in St Jean for most current information.
Buen Camino!
Terry

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,
The plan is to arrive in the afternoon of 4 Sept , I have lodgings at Gite Ultreia for the night , and pray that the jet lag and the weather permit a joyous start from there bright the next morn.
Best Wishes to all my Unmet Friends
Ron

PS I was recently told that to make plans is to make God laugh.

RON
Recently read a fine book "Ancient Spiritual Practices , Sacred Journey" history of Pilgrimages. What was most interesting is the author comparing Hiking and Pilgrimage. He said the distinctive difference for the Christian Pilgrimage is laughing.... Let others beat themselves with rods, experience invited suffering and pain, and called that religious. Rather, laugh with the Divine who laughs with you, not at you. Every day give thanks, forgive yourself and each other. That is our joy and challenge.
See you out there, laughing along the Camino.
Camino Don

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.