• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Peregrinos

RON
Recently read a fine book "Ancient Spiritual Practices , Sacred Journey" history of Pilgrimages. What was most interesting is the author comparing Hiking and Pilgrimage. He said the distinctive difference for the Christian Pilgrimage is laughing.... Let others beat themselves with rods, experience invited suffering and pain, and called that religious. Rather, laugh with the Divine who laughs with you, not at you. Every day give thanks, forgive yourself and each other. That is our joy and challenge.
See you out there, laughing along the Camino.
Camino Don
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings! I'll be embarking on my first Camino in September, likely starting from Burgos or Leon (that is still being internally debated) on the 23rd, hopefully making it to Santiago by October 14.

Once I've committed to my starting point, I will update!

Hi Jabaldo, Personally, I'm looking forward to the lower route this year - different sights and experiences! I had a practically perfect trip over the Napoleon last fall, so don't feel it's necessary to do it again - my knees absolutely agree - and I ALWAYS consult the knees and feet - and treat them well!

Here is a link you might like to look at - in praise of the lower route - http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/ It was started in Dec 2012; last posting in May 2014.

Also, take a look at this website - www.expressbourricot.com - When you get to SJPP and would like an alternative to walking all the way to Roncesvalles, contact Caroline, who operates the Express Bourricot from SJPP to various places. Look in Persons Transportation - and then scroll down to "From Where to Where - SJPP to Roncesvalles" and then just below see the PRICES - see Roncesvalles at 9.30. OR see "The Morning Shuttle" - you might be able to ride up the Napoleon with Caroline (for the views and experience of that route) and possibly back down (to SJPP and then to Roncesvalles) or get out and walk down to Roncesvalles (tho the walk down is just about as strenuous as going UP - but for different muscles and joints! You can call her the day before you start walking to make arrangements - she may come to your albergue to discuss your transport to see what will be available the next day and the cost. Lots of options - and the decision is YOURS alone!

The concern for the lower route is the walk between Valcarlos to Ibañeta - please check the above thread for details. And be sure to check in at the Pilgrim office in St Jean for most current information.
Buen Camino!
Terry
Thank you for the info. I think from reading all the post we will take the Valcarlos route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where are you staying on the 10th? I'm booked in at the Auberque du Pelerin!
hi Jacqueline,yahoo, i have booked the Auberque du Perin for the 10th for myself n linda, see you there!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good to hear you have found a place Jennie :)
cheers clearskies, i looked at ulteria which looked great but rooms were limited[due to my delay in booking],but a bed is a bed :) and the aubergue du pelerin looks pretty good,you have been a great help its a shame you will be heading out before us, we cant wait, linda n i only decieded to do this trip a few short weeks ago ,,so loads to do ,

No worries at all Jennie.
Once you both get on your plane, everything will fall into place.
I've heard lots of good things about Pelerin from this forum and I may stay there next time around :)

David

No worries at all Jennie.
Once you both get on your plane, everything will fall into place.
I've heard lots of good things about Pelerin from this forum and I may stay there next time around :)

David
so funny to hear you say "next time around "when you have one in front to face yet! its very addictive this camino lark!! good job there is plenty of company in this obsession;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
so funny to hear you say "next time around "when you have one in front to face yet! its very addictive this camino lark!! good job there is plenty of company in this obsession;)

I'm doing the Portuguese route from Porto next year..but after that, it would be wrong for me to say "That's it, I won't be returning to the Camino!!" :)
It's a little addictive alright..but in a good way.

hi Jacqueline,yahoo, i have booked the Auberque du Perin for the 10th for myself n linda, see you there!

Hi Jenny, My Hubby and I will be at Beliari on the 10th and 11th, so hopefully we will be able to say hi on the night of the 10th.
petitewalker aka. Linda

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jenny, My Hubby and I will be at Beliari on the 10th and 11th, so hopefully we will be able to say hi on the night of the 10th.
petitewalker aka. Linda
hi linda, we would be delighted to bump into you guys,i got my forum badge last week so we will put them on our packs!keep an eye out for two super happy looking ladies,i am 42yrs my sis is only 33,, :D

hi linda, we would be delighted to bump into you guys,i got my forum badge last week so we will put them on our packs!keep an eye out for two super happy looking ladies,i am 42yrs my sis is only 33,, :D
I'll be look'n out for you young'ns. We are in our early/mid 60's. I'll be the one sporting the very, very short haircut. Hopefully we can meet up after dinner. I think Gerard Carey and his crew will also be at your place on the 10th.

My wife and I plan on arriving from California in St. Jean around September 6th. Looking forward to meeting and walking with pilgrim friends....counting down the days! Pete

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
updated 7/27
August 23 rd-Geoff Stewart, Allister
August 24th- zolarose
August25th -Angelo
August 26th - VATom, Pilgrim Midwife, Diegomartine
August27th - cinimod
August 28th - Agnogel, Sami Aaltonen
August29th- gimpywalker
August 31st -Oso, Snake ,
September 1st -Kiwi-D , gwDelmar , me.andmyshadow, Ahaj, Skudah
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 3rd -Dave 2525, ColeenK, Laelia2 Leandra.Scott, Jane Erasmus
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon) clearskies, el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!)
September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo
September 6th - Pippa, Krazykwltr, Carolina Ayala ,Sriyantna, DaleKathryn
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura, Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona )
September 8th
September 9th Monk Moses, taozenqi , mferrara , Valgongs
September 10th
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 14th -Walking Man 06, RogerM, Cate A
September 15th -Janet Ellen, Marilyn Russell
September 16th -Jabaldo, Great Dane (Zubiri), twojay54
September 17th- -Zarniwoop, jessica.vthhiker
September 18th
September 19th -Holly, ksam
September 20th -Jamie Archer, AnnieY
September 21st -Adhemar78
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?)
September 24th -Annie Little
September 25th-s4sfamily(Leon)
September 26th - DeadFred, Bernatchez M , organflute, Rachel_1981
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Last edited:
We are a group of 4 bicigrinos from Austin, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico. Will be starting in Pamplona around Sept. 5th. This is our second Camino--had to abort in Astorga last time in Sept 2012 due to a family emergency so starting all over again to make it all the way to Santiago. We are leisurely bicigrinos, self-supported, and take our sweet time enjoying the Camino. We often see many of the same peregrinos for a few days in a row. Looking forward to seeing some of you folks!
Buen Camino,
Judy
Hi Judy,
I am from Albuquerque, I will be starting on Sept. 12th from SJPP.
Buen Camino

Hi Judy,
Buen Camino
Hi Rorik, I'm Linda and my husband and I are also starting from SJPDP on the 12th. Are you walking thru or staying at Orisson?

Hi Jennie, that's awesome news!! I'm looking forward to meeting you and your sister! Did you manage to get your booking at Orisson? I have my reservation but will play it by ear if I will be staying or moving on to Roncesvalles but it's comforting to know that I have the option to stay should I feel the need.

27th aug for us leaving SJPdP, but only as far as Logrono this year...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Rorik, I'm Linda and my husband and I are also starting from SJPDP on the 12th. Are you walking thru or staying at Orisson?
Linda, I am planning on walking to Roncesvalles on day one. Where are you coming from to get to SJPdP?
I am looking to share transportation from Pamplona on Sept. 11 about 15:30 - 16:00.

Arriving in Madrid on Sept. 11th - busing it to Pamplono for a night and then hoping to start the Caminio from SJPDP on September 12th in the am! First timer - very excited, but slightly overwhelmed! See you all out there! Buen Camino!
Hi Ashley, I am also taking the bus from Madrid to Pamplona on the 11th. My plan is to take a taxi/van to SJPDP . The bus arrives in Pamplona at 15:30. Would you want to share a ride to SJPDP on the 11th?
Rorik

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll be starting from SJPP on 8/30. Excited and a little nervous. Looking forward to meeting others on the way!

Linda, I am planning on walking to Roncesvalles on day one. Where are you coming from to get to SJPdP?
I am looking to share transportation from Pamplona on Sept. 11 about 15:30 - 16:00.
Sorry Rorik, we are flying into Paris on the 10th, taking a train to Bayonne and either train or bus (whichever is running) to SJPDP. Plan on spending two nights in SJPDP and try and get over two full travel days before starting our Camino on the 12th. Looks like you might have better luck with Ashley, especially since you are both coming from the same direction. Sorry to hear you are going to walk to Roncesvalles in one day. We are old folks ;) and we just want to enjoy the walk. No hurry here. We have scheduled 45 days of walking into our trip which will include going to Muxia/ Finisterre either by foot or bus depending on how long it takes us to get to Santiago. Hopefully we will meet along the way even if you pass us the first day. I'll be carrying a purple Osprey and my husband has a screetch'n green one.
Hope to see you on "The Way":D

Oh, forgot to ask, where are you staying in SJPDP on the night of the 11th? We've got a bunch who are either starting on the 12th or waiting till the 13th. My husband and I will be at Belairi, formerly Esprit du Chemin. Maybe we can say hi! I'm think'n we need to have a block party so we all can meet up in front of the Pilgrims office.

Wiglaura starting on SJPDP on Sept. 7 is actually a compilation of 9 happy people. Vic Simenc, Kay Simenc, Susan Shanelac, Dave Calfee, Kat Calfee, Rod Fordahl, Kristin Cogswell, Laura Sy and Wig Sy. We didn't want to burden the calendar with too many inputs.

Are you walking the whole way as a group? Nice! Very cool.

I am also starting in September leaving SJPD on September 9 can you add me to the calendar please ... not sue how to do it myself??

Valgongs,
Monk Moses, mferrara, and I (taozenqi) will be leaving SJPDP on Sept. 9th also. Welcome and look forward to meeting you. I'm buying the chocolate croissants and Monk Moses volunteered to provide the tinto vino for the journey. ( Okay, think it was only the first round!).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Judy,
Buen Camino

Rorik,
Will be leaving ABQ ( live a few hours south) on the 7th for Madrid and leaving SJPDP on Sept. 9th. Hope to share some trails with you along the Way.

Hi,
I'm getting into Santander on September the 16th and making my way from there to SJPP to walk the camino. I am a bit scared as I'm doing it by myself but I'm also really excited, I can't wait to get started! AnnieY, I used to live in Exeter, I moved from there in June. If you have not sorted your dates yet, I am getting the ferry from Portsmouth on the 16th, I would be more than happy if you wanted to join me :)

Alison

I used to live in Exeter, I moved from there in June. :)

Alison

Alison (and Annie) I used to live in Exeter too... born and bred :D I moved to France 7 years ago and I've not been back for a while... but lots of friends and family visit and keep us up to date.

I'm starting just before you on the 13th - Im taking it slow... staying at Orrison on the 13th, Roncevalles on the 14th, Bizkarreta on the 15th and Zubiri on the 16th... I'll hopefully pick up speed a little but I wont be rushing... so perhaps our paths may cross at some point. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jabaldo from John (Sydney). I'm arriving in SJPDP evening of 15th. I want to do the Napoleon but will see how conditions are on the morning of 16th Sep. Would love to catch up if possible. JJ

Hi, nice to meet you!
I've noticed in this thread a lot of people are booking their places before they go? I'm not much of a planner and other than training for the walk, I average about 13km at the mo, I was just going to walk it and find somewhere to stay each night. Is this wrong, should I book places? I don't want to be stranded with no where to stay!

Hi Alison. I have booked my first night in SJPDP but not anything else. Will have a phone to book ahead if needed but otherwise I will look for something when my feet say "enough".

Valgongs,
Monk Moses, mferrara, and I (taozenqi) will be leaving SJPDP on Sept. 9th also. Welcome and look forward to meeting you. I'm buying the chocolate croissants and Monk Moses volunteered to provide the tinto vino for the journey. ( Okay, think it was only the first round!).
Thanks taozenqui very much - not sure how I am getting from Biarritz airport to SJPDP late on Monday evening but planning a leisurely start from SJPDP on Tuesday morning as booked into the Orisson that night .. are you going straight through to Ronscevalles? If so how would I ever catch up with you?

Hi Alison - I'm not sure how busy things will be for the first few days - I just felt I wanted to be sorted at the start - one less thing to worry about in the begining. As I move along and feel more confident I'm going to do like you - walk and stop when I feel like it and when I can find a room. I think if you wanted to stay at Orisson it's wise to book... Roncevalles is huge so not a problem... I dont know about the later stops - I was using this http://caminopedia.com/?page_id=15 and the spreadsheet on this forum to check where there is accommodation... both lists are really useful.

I think if you do get stuck folks have called taxis to take them elsewhere for the night, then got a taxi back the next day... which seems like a good option. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

One finishing in Leon, two in SdC and the rest to Finesterre/Muxia. A group of nine but no restraints on anyone if they want to move faster/slower. Everyone is fit so we are hoping to walk well within our capabilities and enjoy our individual/group experiences.

One finishing in Leon, two in SdC and the rest to Finesterre/Muxia. A group of nine but no restraints on anyone if they want to move faster/slower. Everyone is fit so we are hoping to walk well within our capabilities and enjoy our individual/group experiences.

Rorik,
Will be leaving ABQ ( live a few hours south) on the 7th for Madrid and leaving SJPDP on Sept. 9th. Hope to share some trails with you along the Way.
Judy,
I will be in Madrid from Sept. 2 -11, staying at the Hotel Regina. See you on the Camino.

We
I will be around that time as I stay for two nights in SJPDP to get over the trip from Australia and then I stay at Orisson as it is a great night and away to meet many like minded folk that you see on the Way.[/QUOTE
We too leave from Brisbane to Paris, will start from SJPDP approx 5 or 6 Sept after 2 days probably in bayonne or somewhere close to there. If you have any suggestions other than Bayonne would appreciate... it is just to get over the flights.
Cheers
Nigel & Marilyn

updated 7/30
August 24th- zolarose
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August29th- gimpywalker
September 2nd -Denis Aldridge , Flaca005, ndrea,Purrrrple Panda , OzAnnie ( Irun), Dutch
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon) clearskies, el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke

September 5th -Calides2014 , TrevorCC , Walsh Camino , Riyanter, Musedoc,WalkCWalk, MichaelSG (Lisboa), OTH86, David Egglestone, LiesbethSA , Linda Wentzel Hetty & Gerald van Gurp, Ward Carson, Rcamargo
September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona )
September 8th
September 10th
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney
September 12th- PetiteWalker,itsJann, GerardCarey, alrushton, Ashley Benner, Rorik
September 13th -LesBrass, Arkbuilder, Barber1586,ray jay , Christine law, Don Hoff (Astroga)
September 17th- -Zarniwoop, jessica.vthhiker, Kathleen de Montreal

September 18th
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014 http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Ooh so excited I got my credencial in the mail today as well as my badge and hat pin and sadly my shell didn't survive the trip but oh well hope to get one in Lisbon when I get there. Just need to go now;) ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406606849.264657.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I start on 4th Sept fm SJpdp, 1st stop at Orisson for the night. I am only a city boy fm urban Singapore, not sure how the Pyrennes will treat me. Buen camino to all.
Hi Jason. My wife is Singaporean and we're starting from Lisbon on the 5th. We might just meet up in Santiago and you could help us find prata, nasi lemak or hor fun. At the pilgrim's mass on the day after your arrival, they are supposed to announce the nationalities and starting points of the pilgrims arriving the day before. When we walked the Camino Frances in 2012, my wife was disappointed when they did not mention her. We guessed later that she must have been included as one of the few pilgrims from China - since everyone in Europe knows that Singapore is in China. Buen Camino!

Thanks taozenqui very much - not sure how I am getting from Biarritz airport to SJPDP late on Monday evening but planning a leisurely start from SJPDP on Tuesday morning as booked into the Orisson that night .. are you going straight through to Ronscevalles? If so how would I ever catch up with you?

Hi there Valgongs!

I too arrive in SJPdP on the 8th and head up the hill on the 9th. I too will spend the. 9th in Orisson. See you there!

Buen Camino

Fr. Moses

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From reading all the posting it sounds like plans are coming together for us all. I read in the posting all the excitement that you all are as well as me experiencing. I am some 40 days out before my wife and I start. We depart SJPP on the 16th and without a real plan like what most people have written we will just start walking to the point our feet or spirit tell us no more for the day. I must admit this is not me. I am a planner but I want to make a change in my attitude and try to do something that I normally would not do. I don't not even have a return flight booked. This is very scary for me. So I guess the Camino is already making changes in me. Thank God for I need a change. See you all along the way.
Buen Camino

So sorry, but I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a new shell in SJPDP.
BTW, does anyone know if I can get a badge in SJPDP. Already have my shell (picked from sunny Florida) and my Pilgrims passport (thanks Ivar), but I didn't order a badge and now I'm think"n I would like one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jason. My wife is Singaporean and we're starting from Lisbon on the 5th. We might just meet up in Santiago and you could help us find prata, nasi lemak or hor fun. At the pilgrim's mass on the day after your arrival, they are supposed to announce the nationalities and starting points of the pilgrims arriving the day before. When we walked the Camino Frances in 2012, my wife was disappointed when they did not mention her. We guessed later that she must have been included as one of the few pilgrims from China - since everyone in Europe knows that Singapore is in China. Buen Camino!
U can get all this good simple food at Changi Village. I cycle there fm Yishun pretty often. I see your location is in Singapore. Hope to see u all somewhere on the Camino.

U can get all this good simple food at Changi Village. I cycle there fm Yishun pretty often. I see your location is in Singapore. Hope to see u all somewhere on the Camino.
In Santiago, Jason! I need your help finding those things in Santiago! :p I live in Simei so I know lots of places here for food but after a month on the Camino, I get homesick for "real" food. BTW, if this is your first Camino, send me a message if you would like to meet up. My wife and I would happy to meet up with you to answer any questions that you can't find on the forum.

In Santiago, Jason! I need your help finding those things in Santiago! :p I live in Simei so I know lots of places here for food but after a month on the Camino, I get homesick for "real" food. BTW, if this is your first Camino, send me a message if you would like to meet up. My wife and I would happy to meet up with you to answer any questions that you can't find on the forum.
That'd be very helpful. We can meet at Changi V for lunch, any day u choose. Pls email me at jason625@hotmail.com. Yes, I ve got some points to clarify, esp fm experienced peregrinos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jenn ie, that's awesome news!! I'm looking forward to meeting you and your sister! Did you manage to get your booking at Orisson? I have my reservation but will play it by ear if I will be staying or moving on to Roncesvalles but it's comforting to know that I have the option to stay should I feel the need.
hi Jacqueline, i didnt make a booking at orrison,i think we will arrive early enough in san jean to have a good look around on the 10th and if we leave the albergue about 7 the next morning [which is about normal i think]we should arrive at orrison about 11 ,from what i remember there is nothing there except the albergue and of course fantastic views..so i think linda and i will try to move on,but i agree that its a great idea to book ahead for orrison just in case,,i am nervous and excited,

valgongs,
If all goes according to plan, I will be arriving in SJPDP on Tuesday morning and will be looking for a leisurely start as well; 1.) to ease into the jet lag and 2.) to see some of SJPDP before starting off and 3.) to reach Orisson in the afternoon. Seems like Orisson will be pretty isolated and quiet once we get Monk Moses tamed down. ;)
Maybe our fellow band of hikers could meet in SJPDP for lunch at noon and head up to Orisson around 1pm. That would let us get to our bunks at Orisson by 4pm. Plenty of time to settle in and catch the evening dinner. Just a suggestion. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi Jacqueline, i didnt make a booking at orrison,i think we will arrive early enough in san jean to have a good look around on the 10th and if we leave the albergue about 7 the next morning [which is about normal i think]we should arrive at orrison about 11 ,from what i remember there is nothing there except the albergue and of course fantastic views..so i think linda and i will try to move on,but i agree that its a great idea to book ahead for orrison just in case,,i am nervous and excited,
so much to do before i can even think about packing or training walks,i found an american couple that wish to visit ireland and are happy to mind my hairy hounds.this is great except i have to try to get my house up to scratch for guests?so am painting and trying to do something with the wilderness that was my garden,training in itself!!!the lads wayfarer n clearskies may know what a 100yr old cottage in the irish countryside might be like:oops:

valgongs,
If all goes according to plan, I will be arriving in SJPDP on Tuesday morning and will be looking for a leisurely start as well; 1.) to ease into the jet lag and 2.) to see some of SJPDP before starting off and 3.) to reach Orisson in the afternoon. Seems like Orisson will be pretty isolated and quiet once we get Monk Moses tamed down. ;)
Maybe our fellow band of hikers could meet in SJPDP for lunch at noon and head up to Orisson around 1pm. That would let us get to our bunks at Orisson by 4pm. Plenty of time to settle in and catch the evening dinner. Just a suggestion. Buen camino!

Sounds good to me!

€46,-
valgongs,
Sounds good to me too ... just need to get hold of mferrara ... any suggestions out there as to where we should meet for lunch in SJPDP? Glad we're all going to be at the Orisson together .. this is all shaping up far too easily ... have you booked anywhere after Orisson?

Sounds good to me too ... just need to get hold of mferrara ... any suggestions out there as to where we should meet for lunch in SJPDP? Glad we're all going to be at the Orisson together .. this is all shaping up far too easily ... have you booked anywhere after Orisson?
I'm booked in at Belari in SJPdP and in Orisson. After that it's wherever I happen to be.

I'm booked in at Belari in SJPdP and in Orisson. After that it's wherever I happen to be.
Oh good .. that's the right answer .. I haven't got anywhere for Monday night as I am not sure what transport there will be from the airport .. here's to letting go and trusting .... buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh good .. that's the right answer .. I haven't got anywhere for Monday night as I am not sure what transport there will be from the airport .. here's to letting go and trusting .... buen Camino!
I'm flying in from Paris on Monday morning and am booked for transport with Express Bouricot. Check out their site and see if that works for you.

Buen Camino!

Fr. Moses

I'm flying in from Paris on Monday morning and am booked for transport with Express Bouricot. Check out their site and see if that works for you.

Buen Camino!

Fr. Moses
Thanks - I have just emailed them asking ...

€46,-
Hi to all
Although I'm starting on the Norte (Irun) a note to all starting from sjpdp

Even if u already have your credencial and are all ready to start; do drop in and visit the pilgrim office in sjpdp.
To get a sello/stamp, to get latest updates on weather conditions . They will have lists of pilgrim accommodations along the CF with phn numbers as well as a guide sheet, showing daily inclines at a glance.

You can soak in the 'vibe' just being in the room while others are being helped if you don't need to ask anything. Possibly meet someone to walk with there.

Main point for this post is to let you know that they 'used to' have a donation box for a selection of shells to choose from for your Camino. You can buy the shells in many places if you miss them there. All along the way. It's a good feeling having it tied to your pack.

Take it easy on the first few days, don't feel you need to walk in to your next stop with your pals! Just say you'll see them there later; there is no shame in that. Take as long as you need on the downhills, it will be more noticeable to your muscles after you've stopped. So a stretch helps. Also relax and raise your legs against a wall can help. Rest your feet and muscles as you go; stop to smile and look behind you; savour the view!
Drink plenty of water.

But you're out for a walk! It's meant to be enjoyable -so enjoy your day
We are so very fortunate.

Buen Camino. Maybe see some of you towards the end

Annie

Hi to all
Although I'm starting on the Norte (Irun) a note to all starting from sjpdp

Even if u already have your credencial and are all ready to start; do drop in and visit the pilgrim office in sjpdp.
To get a sello/stamp, to get latest updates on weather conditions . They will have lists of pilgrim accommodations along the CF with phn numbers as well as a guide sheet, showing daily inclines at a glance.

You can soak in the 'vibe' just being in the room while others are being helped if you don't need to ask anything. Possibly meet someone to walk with there.

Main point for this post is to let you know that they 'used to' have a donation box for a selection of shells to choose from for your Camino. You can buy the shells in many places if you miss them there. All along the way. It's a good feeling having it tied to your pack.

Take it easy on the first few days, don't feel you need to walk in to your next stop with your pals! Just say you'll see them there later; there is no shame in that. Take as long as you need on the downhills, it will be more noticeable to your muscles after you've stopped. So a stretch helps. Also relax and raise your legs against a wall can help. Rest your feet and muscles as you go; stop to smile and look behind you; savour the view!
Drink plenty of water.

But you're out for a walk! It's meant to be enjoyable -so enjoy your day
We are so very fortunate.

Buen Camino. Maybe see some of you towards the end

Annie

Thanks Annie!

[QUOTE=" may know what a 100yr old cottage in the irish countryside might be like:oops:[/QUOTE]

Like heaven I would imagine jennie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone!
I booked my tickets from Montreal to London a couple months ago, but have been waffling about whether to do my Camino in September as I had hoped, or to put it off until next summer because of a possible work opportunity.
Well, I bit the bullet, so to speak, and booked my tickets from London to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port today!

I arrive in London the morning of 11 September and will spend a few days with good friends in the area prior to taking the Eurostar on the 15th. Then, a night train to Paris, breakfast in Bayonne, and St-Jean in time for lunch!
Therefore, I'll be starting my walk the 17th.
Looking forward to the journey!

Hi everyone!
I booked my tickets from Montreal to London a couple months ago, but have been waffling about whether to do my Camino in September as I had hoped, or to put it off until next summer because of a possible work opportunity.
Well, I bit the bullet, so to speak, and booked my tickets from London to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port today!

I arrive in London the morning of 11 September and will spend a few days with good friends in the area prior to taking the Eurostar on the 15th. Then, a night train to Paris, breakfast in Bayonne, and St-Jean in time for lunch!
Therefore, I'll be starting my walk the 17th.
Looking forward to the journey!

One more for the calendar DeadFred!!!!!!!!!

updated 7/30
August 24th- zolarose
August25th -Angelo
August27th - cinimod
August29th- gimpywalker
September 4th –clearskies, Katies Dad (Leon) clearskies, el ciervo amarillo( walking from England!) , Jason Loke , DragonflyAnnie

September 7th -Trish McGregor , Wiglaura(+ 8) , Denisealldridge,jessica.vthhiker,Wolfdog , alian. Fr (Pomplona )
September 8th
September 10th
September 11th-Jacquelineharris ,Jennie and her sister Linda, Cathy Mahoney
September 17th- -Zarniwoop, jessica.vthhiker, Kathleen de Montreal

September 18th
September 22nd –jdpigue
September 27th
September 28th
September 29th- michryan
September 30th-Lockslay
Oct 1st -awakengaime

Here's some interesting Camino stats shared by Johnny Walker for the first 6 months of 2014 http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Hi, we are a couple from Perth in Western Australia intending to start our Camino from SJPP on 4th September 2014 and head halfway up the mountain (yes we have booked) that day. Whilst we are trying to walk each day to get our fitness level up and the shoe selection correct, the reality is that we just can't wait to be on The Way. Looking forward to our big adventure.

Hi, we are a couple from Perth in Western Australia intending to start our Camino from SJPP on 4th September 2014 and head halfway up the mountain (yes we have booked) that day. Whilst we are trying to walk each day to get our fitness level up and the shoe selection correct, the reality is that we just can't wait to be on The Way. Looking forward to our big adventure.

Hope to see you along the way!

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jennie
You will be stretching it I reckon. I haven't walked from St Jean to Roncesvalles yet but I'm sure there will be others who can give you a definite answer.

I arrive in Biarritz before 1pm also. There is a train / bus after 2pm from Bayonne and that could take an hour and a half to get to St Jean.
So let's say you arrive in St Jean at 4pm..will you make it to Orisson by half 6? It is a close call.
I'd say track shoes and a day-pack in good weather might do it. But you'd shoot yourself for not taking time to enjoy the views!

Where are you staying in St Jean? I also hope to leave on the 4th but will not stop at Orisson. Hopefully we can meet the evening before.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[QUOTE=" may know what a 100yr old cottage in the irish countryside might be like:oops:

Like heaven I would imagine jennie[/QUOTE]
cheers for your kind words Deadfred,it is great if you dont have an issue with a few damp spots and two large hairy hounds and a couple of cats thrown in for good measure :D

Like heaven I would imagine jennie
cheers for your kind words Deadfred,it is great if you dont have an issue with a few damp spots and two large hairy hounds and a couple of cats thrown in for good measure :D[/QUOTE]
When was it you wanted a dog sitter?

cheers for your kind words Deadfred,it is great if you dont have an issue with a few damp spots and two large hairy hounds and a couple of cats thrown in for good measure :D
When was it you wanted a dog sitter?[/QUOTE]
i was in a bit of a pickle as putting two dogs into kennels for 6 weeks would cost a fortune and the older dog [an irish wolfhound] would hate it,a put an ad on a house sitting site and wow i was amazed by the responses i got from americans wanting to visit,i have found a couple that are excited to be minding the dogs and living in my poor old house ,it is a win win situation for us all ,what a great way to see the world !

€83,-
I'd say track shoes and a day-pack in good weather might do it. But you'd shoot yourself for not taking time to enjoy the views!

Ive been on this forum for a couple years . I have read often and explicitly that leaving late for an over the mountain trek is dicey . I would not attempt it even if I still sported a 25 yrs old body ( I'm not 25 ..yet :) ) .

Ive been on this forum for a couple years . I have read often and explicitly that leaving late for an over the mountain trek is dicey . I would not attempt it even if I still sported a 25 yrs old body ( I'm not 25 ..yet :) ) .
we have booked onto san jean and will relax there on the 10th and set off walking on the 11th,.,oh you are a wise one for such a young fella ;)

Agree with Monk Moses -no albergue plans after Orisson. If we do get some Cafe/Bar recommendations from this wonderful forum, we can make a group call and meet there. If not, let's plan on meeting outside the SJPDP Pilgrim Office at noon and go from there to find some lunch.

€149,-
Agree with Monk Moses -no albergue plans after Orisson. If we do get some Cafe/Bar recommendations from this wonderful forum, we can make a group call and meet there. If not, let's plan on meeting outside the SJPDP Pilgrim Office at noon and go from there to find some lunch.

I'll be there!

Perfect ... I'll be there ...

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.