• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping bag for backpack.

rlang290

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2015
Hi Everyone,

We were in the travel section of Target today and found these. They're large bags used to ship car seats and the like on the airlines.

airlinebag.jpg

We brought it home and my 75 litre backpack with my sleeping bag attached fits easily! When done just fold it up and it fits in it's own little case. We're both going to ship our backpacks in these bags and then put them in our little package of extra clothes and stuff that we plan to ship to Ivar in Santiago from Madrid.
It doesn't say the weight of the bag on the package but it's nylon so it's very light.

Grand total was $10.00 per bag.

Just thought we'd pass on the info! Buen Camino!

Ron and Michele.

PS: We leave for Madrid in 48 days! :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
What are they for? I don't get it. If you want to keep your backpack clean, saran wrap or airport wrap would be the same?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What are they for? I don't get it. If you want to keep your backpack clean, saran wrap or airport wrap would be the same?
It's a way of protecting your backpack if you check it in as luggage on a flight, and don't carry it on. Keeps the straps and such which are hanging from the backpack from possibly getting tangled up or torn while being handled and transported down conveyor belts, etc. Also provides some measure of security I suppose of the pack's contents. It looks lightweight and inexpensive, so if it get's torn and such no big deal. I suppose it would also keep the pack cleaner as well. Good idea.

... Keeps the straps and such which are hanging from the backpack from possibly getting tangled up or torn while being handled and transported down conveyor belts, etc. .....
I use a $2 blue Ikea bag (for pack & poles) on the way there nothing on the way back. I use cable ties to keep it all stowed tight for the conveyor belts.
Sort of care more about getting the gear over there in one piece.
upload_2015-1-12_12-57-39.jpeg

I use a $2 blue Ikea bag (for pack & poles) on the way there nothing on the way back. I use cable ties to keep it all stowed tight for the conveyor belts.
View attachment 15657
Yeah, I was the same way. Managed to get my 48L on the flight as a carry on on the way over. Going back home after the Camino I was less concerned, ha ha. Tied all the straps together after cinching everything tight and checked it on. Didn't feel like hauling it around the airport on my layover.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Everyone,

We were in the travel section of Target today and found these. They're large bags used to ship car seats and the like on the airlines.

View attachment 15656

We brought it home and my 75 litre backpack with my sleeping bag attached fits easily! When done just fold it up and it fits in it's own little case. We're both going to ship our backpacks in these bags and then put them in our little package of extra clothes and stuff that we plan to ship to Ivar in Santiago from Madrid.
It doesn't say the weight of the bag on the package but it's nylon so it's very light.

Ron and Michele.

Return it and get an IKEA bag for $3.99CAN each
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90149148/

View attachment 15657

Yeah, no. I just put the poles in the backpack, ties all the straps together and let it go into the hold. After 44 years of travel, to all corners of the world, the only care I take is when going scuba diving: I give myself a full 24 hours for the bags to get to me before the boar leaves. If I'm diving from shore, I can just wait for the bags to get to me. After all, there is no way I can carry that gear on board.

My wife and I are flying out of Toronto on Jan 31, 2015 and I inquired with the airport about having our packs cello wrap and they no longer do it. They referred us to another airline counter who offers the service for a fee (cash grab)! Even if one does get his pack wrapped there is no guarantee that it would still be wrapped once it comes through the luggage inspections. If they want to look in your pack for whatever reason I don't think they would re-wrap it afterwards and then the chances of your pack being damage is quite high. So the bag is a great and affordable alternative that we did not know was available, that's why my wife sewed up a few bags for our packs. But our first choice will be to try and board with our packs as we will try to get them down to size with the extra going into a third piece of luggage that we will need on the second leg of our trip. So thumbs up on both the stroller and the IKEA bags.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Regarding the Ikea bags.
I find that it works best when secured with 2 cable ties at the handles, to keep everything secure in the bag even upside down.
So, harness and straps on the bottom of the bag, poles also cable tied to the pack.
These means you have to be able to cut the cable ties on arrival, so I put my knife (which obviously can't be in "carry on") in my pack but in a location I can reach while secured in the Ikea bag, like in the zippered pack top or rain cover section.
Just the way I do it with a 48ltr Osprey Kestrel.

My wife and I are flying out of Toronto on Jan 31, 2015 and I inquired with the airport about having our packs cello wrap and they no longer do it. They referred us to another airline counter who offers the service for a fee (cash grab)! Even if one does get his pack wrapped there is no guarantee that it would still be wrapped once it comes through the luggage inspections. If they want to look in your pack for whatever reason I don't think they would re-wrap it afterwards and then the chances of your pack being damage is quite high. So the bag is a great and affordable alternative that we did not know was available, that's why my wife sewed up a few bags for our packs. But our first choice will be to try and board with our packs as we will try to get them down to size with the extra going into a third piece of luggage that we will need on the second leg of our trip. So thumbs up on both the stroller and the IKEA bags.

Isn't there a a MEC in Ottawa? They sell or at least used to sell back covers designed exactly for this. They come in different sizes.

Regarding the Ikea bags.
I find that it works best when secured with 2 cable ties at the handles, to keep everything secure in the bag even upside down.
So, harness and straps on the bottom of the bag, poles also cable tied to the pack.
These means you have to be able to cut the cable ties on arrival, so I put my knife (which obviously can't be in "carry on") in my pack but in a location I can reach while secured in the Ikea bag, like in the zippered pack top or rain cover section.
Just the way I do it with a 48ltr Osprey Kestrel.

I have used the "wire tie" "zip tie" "cable tie" technique for global travel for more than 25 years. My preference is to buy a package of neon colored assorted nylon ties in my local DIY store. Travel stores sell narrower gauge ties especially for use with the hoops on zippers. But, the local DIY store has larger packages for far less money. Try to stay away from "standard" colors like black, white, green. It will be very difficult for someone tampering with your bag to have the exact same color tie to place on the bag.

This is particularly a good idea if you are flying into a country where smuggling is a problem. When my bag comes onto the bag conveyor at my destination and the colored tie I put on the zips is no longer there, I always summon someone in a uniform and someone from the airline immediately to tell them that that appears to be my bag but the (color) security seal I placed on the bag at (origin airport) when I checked the bag, is no longer there. I tell them that THEY must open the bag in my presence to verify that nothing illegal is in the bag. I tell them that I will NOT TOUCH the bag until they do this.

You should know that if there are two colluding baggage handlers at two separate airports anywhere in the world, your luggage can be easily used to smuggle contraband. Clearly,for an organized smuggling ring, this is very easy to accomplish. Also, this is useful to know and use if you travel into a country that prescribes the death penalty for drugs smugglers.

Nine times out of ten, the bag contains a note from my national security screening agency informing me that they searched my bag. That is all well and good. But, consider that it could go the other way too.

I hope this helps. Sometimes a little paranoia is a good thing.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing wrong with a bit of paranoia, the wording escapes me as I'm typing but an ounce of prevention is worth !!!! and your theory about tampering and the use of colored ties is great.

Thanks, Andre

Nothing wrong with a bit of paranoia, the wording escapes me as I'm typing but an ounce of prevention is worth !!!! and your theory about tampering and the use of colored ties is great.

Thanks, Andre

Andre: Just FYI, the old saw goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Ron and Michele,

First of all, thanks for the tip about the bags! My husband and I are planning to do the Camino Frances in mid-August to September and decided it would be helpful to get a bag such as you describe to protect our packs and enable us to take our hiking poles.

Your comment "We're both going to ship our backpacks in these bags and then put them in our little package of extra clothes and stuff that we plan to ship to Ivar in Santiago from Madrid" caught my eye. We're debating whether to fly into Paris or Madrid from the US and are planning to start the Camino in SJPdP.

I'd like to hear more about your plans to ship stuff to Ivar in Santiago as well as where you're starting the Camino. If you're starting at SJPdP, how are you getting there?

Regards,
Donna

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks like a good option, that bag. Most flightbags are just too heavy and too large to haul around after the flight.

I just use a big garbage bag. When i arrive, i just throw it away and i have another one tucked away in my backpack for the return trip. It doesnt get smaller and lighter then this :) unless you use nothing, but i've seen way too many backpacks beying molested by airportbelts to not use any protection for safe travels :)

Last edited:
Ron and Michele,
I'd like to hear more about your plans to ship stuff to Ivar in Santiago as well as where you're starting the Camino. If you're starting at SJPdP, how are you getting there?
Regards,
Donna

Hi Donna,

We're only able to do half the CF so we're starting in Leon. We're flying into Madrid and then taking the train up to Leon.

Along with our packs we're bringing a small suitcase with a couple of sets of "non-Camino" clothes to wear while we're in SdC. We're staying in SdC for 2 and half days after our Camino so we thought it would be nice to have new clothes. We're mailing it to Ivar (the founder of this amazing forum) in SdC from Leon (At the top of the site you'll see a tab that says "Services by Ivar"). He'll store it for you and you can pick it up when you arrive. It's an amazing service and a great opportunity to meet Ivar and thank him for everything that he does for the Camino community!

Buen Camino!!

Ron and Michele

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you take the travelbag put it inside your backpack as a drybag when you arrive. I also swear to cheap IKEAbags, with zipper.

Shipping stuff downstream to Ivar is one of the best services you will pay for. Shipping from France into Spain is about double the cost of shipping from the first post office (Correos) in Spain (likely Pamplona). However, it is not onerous. Shipping parcels within Spain is a bargain.

On both my Camino Frances journeys (2013 & 2014) I sent things from St. Jean Pied de Port to an albergue in Santiago to await my arrival, a month later. I used http://www.expressbourricot.com/. Caroline is excellent to deal with. She operates a baggage and near-distance person transport service for pilgrims starting at St. Jean Pied de Port.

Basically, Express Bourricot will send one piece of luggage (subject to size and weight limits) to an albergue at Santiago with a secure baggage storage room. They send a van perhaps once a month, or whenever they have enough luggage to justify the expense of sending a driver on an overnight drive to Santiago. That's a four-day round trip, and she is trying to run a business. Just the fuel for the journey has to be a HUGE expense.

This service is necessarily expensive (@ €70 for one piece of luggage in May 2014). However, it is worth it if you want to send "tourist clothing," shoes, toiletries, your rucksack shipping bag, and any souvenirs you bought in France, ahead of you. They are reliable, honest, secure, and trustworthy. IMHO, it is cheaper to send the one piece of luggage, especially if two people share it, than it is to ship multiple parcels from the post office at St. Jean. I have done it twice now, and would definitely do it again.

Once I send the piece of luggage from France, I use the Spanish Correos exclusively to send stuff to Ivar. I usually send excess gear, tourist stuff I accumulate along the way (books, pamphlets, museum guides, postcards) souvenirs, and other purchases I will not need until Santiago. I do not pass over something clever or a good deal just because I am on pilgrimage. I leverage my pilgrimage to address all my varied interests. It is all about the journey...

Anyway, you can send about two kilos to Ivar for less than €10 from just about any Correos. There are three size boxes you will want to consider: Mediana, Grande, and Extra-Grande. There is one smaller size, about the size of a thick novel, but I advise against it as it holds so little. The Mediana Cayo Verde is about the size of a large shoe box (think mens shoes). It holds about two to three kilos of small stuff. The boxes are (or were) green and white, hence the name Cayo (box) Verde (green).

At the Correos, you buy the box, fill the box, and mail the box. This involves two transactions, the first to buy the box and get the forms, and the second to weigh and post the box. the instructions are self-explanatory. Save the paper receipt you get. I always send a copy of the receipt that I photographed using my iPod Touch to Ivar to let him know what is coming, and to him provide the ability to track a package should it "go walkabout" in the system. Hey, life happens...

The best thing about Ivar's kind service is that, if you write in your e-mail address on the bottom of the return address you used on the shipping label, Ivar will send you an e-mail once he receives your parcel(s). The Correos will NOT do this. Also, Ivar will hold stuff for six months, where the Correos will hold things for 15 calendar days.

In this regard, there is an urban myth about the Correos extending this to 30 calendar days if you write "PEREGRINO" in block letters so the receiving post office at Santiago sees it. However, I have yet to see or read confirmation of this as a de facto Correos policy.

Finally, on my first Camino I sent three Mediana boxes containing about 8 kilos in total to Ivar. On my second Camino, and clearly not having learned anything, I sent 11 kilos in three Mediana boxes and one Extra-Grande box to Ivar. Of course I asked him for the "Pilgrim Idiot's" volume discount. He is a gentleman. We made a joke out of it and he kindly discounted his single parcel charge. But, again, IVar has a business to run and this does provide a HUGE convenience to pilgrims heading for Santiago.

You would not believe the stuff people send Ivar. I have seen bicycles in cartons and shrink-wrapped, shrink wrapped and cartoned luggage, and all manner of boxes and sacks. Actually I was surprised that the Correos will accept these items for shipping. But, live and learn. I recall even seeing a baby car seat that was shrink-wrapped at an airport.

All of the information you need about sending stuff to Ivar can be found on this forum.

I hope this helps.

He
Hi Everyone,

View attachment 15656

Ron and Michele.

Hello,
A bad experience leads me to recommend not shipping your back pack. My recent Camino I flew Ottawa Toronto Madrid then train to Pamplona. The checked bag did not arrive in Madrid when I did. It took 3 days to catch up toe in Pamplona. It wasn't a big deal I had allowed lots of extra time. (Retired) iIf you are pressed for time bring your bag on board ( mine was 50 litre aarn pack). Only keep what you need for a few days in the pack to make sure you get started and if the bag is delayed you can at least start and meet up with it en route.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Donna,

We're only able to do half the CF so we're starting in Leon. We're flying into Madrid and then taking the train up to Leon.

Along with our packs we're bringing a small suitcase with a couple of sets of "non-Camino" clothes to wear while we're in SdC. We're staying in SdC for 2 and half days after our Camino so we thought it would be nice to have new clothes. We're mailing it to Ivar (the founder of this amazing forum) in SdC from Leon (At the top of the site you'll see a tab that says "Services by Ivar"). He'll store it for you and you can pick it up when you arrive. It's an amazing service and a great opportunity to meet Ivar and thank him for everything that he does for the Camino community!

Buen Camino!!

Ron and Michele

We will look for you on the Camino. My dad and I will also take the train from Madrid to Leon and start walking on the 4th. Buen Camino!

I am on the Porto to Santiago route now. I checked my rucksack using a polyester (laundry) bag.

The bag measures 24" x 36" when empty and flat. It holds my fully packed Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack with room to spare. At a cost of about $10 USD, I think it was a sage idea.

To close the laundry bag, just tie the pull cords. Attach an address tag as appropriate.

I hope this helps...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back