• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes, Sandals and ?

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Morning Pilgrims

My shoes are bought and have spent the last month wearing them in and will continue to do so for the next 3 ½ months before I start my journey.
I'm also thinking of getting myself some sandals for the evening which will allow my feet to breath, also I'd like the type that , if necessary, I can walk in should the need arise. Being g very conscious of weight I'm thinking that the sandals could also double up for use in the shower. I've done some extensive searches on the computermebob, but can't seem to identify the type I'm looking for.
Therefore can any of the experienced pilgrims help by pointing me in the right direction.

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
morning Waka,
you may better consider quality sport sandals, like Keen, Ecco, Salomon, Merell brand. they are no good for shower use. for the shower the best will work cheap, light no brand flip-flops which will add some 100-150g to the total weight to carry.

Crocs. I can shower in them, walk in them, and they are super lightweight. Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another trekking sandal option is Teva http://www.teva.com/men-view-all/?icid=shop_mtext.
I walked at least 1/3 of the Camino in mine and used in the showers. I wore socks with them when I hiked (I walked in autumn). Also, glad I brought them instead of other sport-type sandals because they kept my heel free of friction. My feet flattened much faster than anticipated (my boots were 1/2 size bigger and should have been full size bigger), thus I got blisters on the rim of the heels. I wanted to keep to only two pairs of shoes, so boots and Tevas was where I landed.

Last year I walked 40% of the Frances in Keens and found them to be excellent and when coupled with Merrels I had only the hint of a blister once. Enjoy the experience and don't get too hung up on equipment with some sense and a little advice it will be simply a great experience. Warning though it is addictive

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I usually wait until I'm in Spain and pick up a pair of Croc knockoffs at one of the China stores for under 6 euros.
I've also just taken flip-flops.

Crocs. Crocs Crocs.

I've done the Camino twice, didn't take them the first time, but made darned sure I did the second time having seen other people using them and realising how brilliant they were. I have used Teva etc before but for me I love Crocs because:

1. Absurdly light and can just be tied to the outside of your bag any old how
2. Completely waterproof (see above) and therefore perfect for the shower, paddling in streams and the sea if you go that far
3. Surprisingly comfortable - I waked 15km in them one day after I'd got my shoes and socks wet walking through deep snow
4. Most importantly though I think for me was the fact that you can just kick your shoes off and pop your feet straight into them, still in your socks, without having to bend down, mess about with straps/ties etc - this doesn't sound like a big deal but when you arrive somewhere completely exhausted, to just be able to step into your Crocs without any effort is a Godsend.

Yes, they look a bit naff but frankly, who cares?!

One word of advice if you do get Crocs - keep the 'strap' at the back down so that it's resting against your heel - this keeps them secured to your feet and avoids you tensing your toes up to keep them on (the biggest issue with flip flops as a physio en route explained to me).

Finally - the copies are rubbish and not comfortable - if you're going down the Croc route you need to stump up for the real deal I'm afraid!

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
PS I posted this before seeing the above comment by AnnieSantiago!

Croc knockoffs probably OK for everything but lengthy walking distances to be fair....

@koknesis, @domigee, @rector &@wayfarer
Thanks for the advice on the sandals, I'll take a look at them. I have to say I wasn't considering closed toed sandals, I'm quite partial to the open toed. In the interest of not leaving any type out I will try them in the trekking shop.

@jsalt, @Anniesantiago & @Jellycat
Um the famous croc's, sorry I'm not decrying them. When they first came out I did buy a pair (the real ones not the knocked off version) and I have to say I just couldn't get on with them. If they have improved since the early days them I'm willing to give them a go, does anyone know how much they weigh?

Those who also suggested flip flops for the shower, its certainly doable.

I took Crocs. I found them extremely comfortable after a day of walking. They were useful with socks or without. I wore them while exploring the towns at the end of the day.
Mine are size 7 women's (38EU) and weigh 256g for the pair.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@koknesis, @domigee, @rector &@wayfarer
Thanks for the advice on the sandals, I'll take a look at them. I have to say I wasn't considering closed toed sandals, I'm quite partial to the open toed. In the interest of not leaving any type out I will try them in the trekking shop.

@jsalt, @Anniesantiago & @Jellycat
Um the famous croc's, sorry I'm not decrying them. When they first came out I did buy a pair (the real ones not the knocked off version) and I have to say I just couldn't get on with them. If they have improved since the early days them I'm willing to give them a go, does anyone know how much they weigh?

Those who also suggested flip flops for the shower, its certainly doable.
My real Crocs are 256g for the pair size 38.

Get yourself the most inexpensive pair of rubber, flip-flop shower shoes you can find. Bring those just for the shower. They weigh almost nothing, and if while walking the Camino you decide you just have to jettison them, throw them in a bin. If not, haul them all the way to Santiago and throw them in a bin there.
Bringing a third set of footwear like cheap shower shoes is really risk free (there seems to be a lot of fears of risk taking on this forum sometimes). They cost almost nothing. They weigh almost nothing, and they keep your feet from funk on the shower floor. It's a no brainer.

Morning Pilgrims

My shoes are bought and have spent the last month wearing them in and will continue to do so for the next 3 ½ months before I start my journey.
I'm also thinking of getting myself some sandals for the evening which will allow my feet to breath, also I'd like the type that , if necessary, I can walk in should the need arise. Being g very conscious of weight I'm thinking that the sandals could also double up for use in the shower. I've done some extensive searches on the computermebob, but can't seem to identify the type I'm looking for.
Therefore can any of the experienced pilgrims help by pointing me in the right direction.

Buen Camino
Have not seen mentioned anywhere this lightweight option for second shoes- dance shoes! I bought a pair of Capezio "Dansneaker" for second shoes. Men's pair, size 8 1/2= 333g/11 3/4 oz. Worked great. Thanks, wife, for the suggestion! (I'm a troglodyte- barefoot in the showers. Entire camino, no problems.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've decided on Teva Terra Fi Lite as my second pair of shoes. Good luck with your decision.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got a pair of these, too. Interested to hear how you like them for hiking.
Jill

Unfortunately I've had to abandon them, at least as a second pair of hiking shoes. If I wear them without socks then I get blisters on the bottom of my feet from the horizontal grooves on the top of the soles. I have worn other Teva Sandals in the past with no problems. I really wanted them to work and will keep them for home but for now I am not wearing them so I can start my Camino in two weeks with my feet blister free.

On the Norte, 840km in Ecco sandals, with a pair of Skecher Go Walks for the evenings. Will probably do the same next month on the CF.

I've decided on Teva
My brother takes boots and Teva. He has walked a lot of segments in Teva, but borrowed my Crocs when he developed blisters because the Teva straps hit the blisters. I just use boots and Crocs. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did buy the Teva sandals and have found them excellent, having said that I've only walked distances of 5 miles with them.

I've got 2 pairs of sandals, Teva tirra and Keen Rose, that I'm considering but I've got to wear socks with them if I want to wear them for any length of time. Both of them have rubber like insoles and sweating in them is a problem unless there's a way of absorbing the sweat away from my feet. I'm experimenting with putting a thin Dr Scholz insole in the Keen Rose sandals. After getting caught in a much needed downpour yesterday afternoon , they dried by the this morning.

I got a pair of these, too. Interested to hear how you like them for hiking.
Jill
Didn't someone write this spring about the Teva lites not being sturdy enough and having to replace them midway. It was part of the super long thread fro where there was still snow on the ground. Might be worth searching for.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can't beat Crocs - I've tried everything over the years (and two Caminos) and for evening wear, showers and replacement walking shoes (when you've got wet socks/boots for e.g. like when I fell through ice into an ice cold river!) they're spot on. I walked 10km in them one day - no issues at all. And they're so light you hardly notice you're carrying them.

If you are looking for something to take to the shower, walk in, or hike a bit, then I vote for the Crocs. I have several pair that I wear most of the time. They have a lot of different styles and some of them fit differently . The original croc is more loose fitting and your foot moves around on the inside even with socks. The Yukon sandal is more true to your foot size and is open toed, very comfortable . They do make an off road model which has a more aggressive lugged sole, but wears down rather quickly. You may want to check out their web site and then find a store to try on a few pair to see if it will work for you. Good Luck.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm finding they already rub the top of my foot near the bunion area. Keens fit me well, so I may go check their sandals out.

Last 3 caminos in echo's , love them

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I took Teva Tirra sandals for wearing in evenings and as a potential back-up walking shoe. Never used them for walking on the Camino as my shoes were so comfortable, but wore the sandals every single day after we reached our destination, all day on so-called "rest" days which usually involved a lot of walking around towns, and all the time for the 6 days we spent in Santiago at the end, so I think they would have been fine if I'd had to use them as my main walking shoe. Incredibly comfortable from the moment I tried them on in the shop, and very light to carry. They were late addition when I realised I had no back-up a couple of days before departure - best last-minute purchase ever!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.