• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte July/ August/September 2023
Hello,

I am Anne, and in July/ August I am going to walk the Camino del Norte.
I have Meindl shoes and they are doing a good job. I read a lot about trailrunners and I am curious.
Are these good shoes to walk the camino?
Thank you very much for any comments.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are they comfortable? Do you like them?

Everyone has a different opinion on the perfect shoe. For most of the trails on Camino a hiking boot is not needed and so a trail runner or hiking shoe will do. If you have hiking boots and you like them, wear them.

I read a lot about trailrunners and I am curious.

Meindl shoes are very good quality. I walked my first Camino in Meindl boots and realized that boots are kind of “overkill” on the Camino. I then switched to Meindl shoes and found them very comfortable but still a bit heavy. Then I switched to trail running shoes and found that they are adequate for Caminoes, they are light and comfortable, well cushioned and have good traction and they dry quickly if they get wet.

This is only my personal experience and we are all different. I believe the best advice is that given by @K_Lynn above: If you feel comfortable with the shoes you have, those are the ones to go with *).

Buen Camino.

*) But, of course, if you don't try something different, you won't know if you're missing something ;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I read a lot about trailrunners and I am curious.
Maybe, but the footwear you are familiar with would be my recommendation if it is working for you and has sufficient life left in the outer and mid-sole.

If you do decide to change, give yourself enough time to confirm that what you choose is going to work for you at the distances you intend to walk on the camino, carrying the load that you are planning to take. You want to have time to make and check out any changes you might need to make to any of the footwear, inserts, socks etc.

Yes, trail runners are great shoes for the Camino. Like a regular running shoe but better traction on the bottom. That said - try a pair out and compare to your current shoe. See what works best for you. Best to do some long distance walking in both pairs of shoes. I find most shoes are fine for a few km, but the longer distance I walk - the more I find most shoes don't work. Altra Lone Peaks work best for me. Doesn't mean they work best for you though. And make sure you practice in the socks you intend to wear on the Camino. In fact - you should be wearing them when you get fitted for shoes. I wear Injinji Toe Socks with a cushioned Merino Wool sock (Darn Tough of Injinji brand). With these - I do size up my shoes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Anne
As someone who's first decades of walking were confined to mountains and rugged coastal terrain you'd have never got me out of boots, these days things have moved on and I must confess I'm a convert to trailrunners. Considering the months you are intending to walk I would look for something that doesn't have a gore tex ( too hot ) but does have a vibram sole. ( Better grip) . Hoka and Altra are makes I would recommend though Altras are not for everyone ( zero drop ) . Hope this helps ;-)

Hi Anne
As someone who's first decades of walking were confined to mountains and rugged coastal terrain you'd have never got me out of boots, these days things have moved on and I must confess I'm a convert to trailrunners. Considering the months you are intending to walk I would look for something that doesn't have a gore tex ( too hot ) but does have a vibram sole. ( Better grip) . Hoka and Altra are makes I would recommend though Altras are not for everyone ( zero drop ) . Hope this helps ;-)

I bought a pair of Altras recently they're wide enough, very cushy, but there is just something not right...I think that zero drop may be it. Thank you Martin B. Anyone know how to figure what drop works best for your feet?

Hello,

I am Anne, and in July/ August I am going to walk the Camino del Norte.
I have Meindl shoes and they are doing a good job. I read a lot about trailrunners and I am curious.
Thank you very much for any comments.
I don't know those shoes. What I know is lots of folks will advise about shoes. I can tell you what I wear. But it won't be advice. I've seen just about every kind of shoe I can imagine on the Camino. A story. Once I was in REI shopping for something else for my upcoming Camino (I had already walked two times). The guy asked, "What shoes did you wear?" I said, "The ones I have on--lightweight Brooks running shoes." He was shocked, called another shoe guy over and exclaimed about me walking in something like that! The other guy said, "That's exactly what I would wear." The bottom line: you have to wear what works for you, which means, walk enough in them before you go to be sure. I've seen people in heavy leather hiking boots, in sandals and flip flops, running shoes, and I've seen two people who walked barefoot. So, there you have it! Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I was walking my last Camino, the people with really bad blisters mostly walked in heavy hiking boots. The problem is, they are quite stiff and your foot tends to be pressed in boot shape, not the other way round. So unless you had good experiences on long trails and have walked them in very well, I would always recommend light trail runners with a very good cushion. For my next Camino I bought Altra Olympus 5 trail runners, my toes have so much space to spread out and the cushion is amazing! On my last Camino I had Salomon trail runners with not enough cushion. Didn't get blisters, but my soles and knees hurt unfortunately.

When I was walking my last Camino, the people with really bad blisters mostly walked in heavy hiking boots.
Interesting. I remember making a similar observation after my first camino that those wearing boots seemed less likely to have blisters, and by far the worst blisters were suffered by those wearing various forms of sneakers and trail runners. I know the only blister that I got on that camino formed the day that I wore sandals. I have continued to wear boots since, and up to last year, never suffered a blister again, while watching plenty of people in shoes suffer.

That said, I never set out on any camino with a plan to consistently collect statistics on this or any number of the many other interesting things that happen to others. Nor do I expect others to either. More, I think we see what we want to see, and there is a confirmation bias in what we observe along the way. As a result, I treat ancedotes such as this, even mine, as being highly unreliable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did my Camino (from Porto, Costa way) in early March. On the second day realized that my trekking shoes that were good for one day tours turned out to be not soft enough, that ended up in blisters. Had to switch to Crocs classic glogs and need to say it was pretty comfortable. Having plastic bags between two socks helped to survive on rainy days and keep on going. Whatever you choose as your main "shoes option" - take a second pair for emergencies like this additionally

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.