• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Goretex shoes?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am currently breaking in the new range from clarks ATL. Which has a goretex liner. I have 2 pairs of the shoes, wide fit. So far so good and they would do a camino quite nicely. There is also a low ankle boot version and sandals. So worth looking at.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Gortex can get really hot in the summer and that can contribute to additional sweating of the feet and blisters. I have some midheight gortex boots for winter caminos and just wear non gortex trail runners for summer.
That isn't my experience. I have walked in summer on the Frances, in Japan and on the via Francigena and found the opposite. Gortex fabric allows moisture to evaporate. Perhaps it is down to individual differences.

nay

Agree with @J Willhaus, in my experience my feet sweat even more in gore-tex shoes. More so than the moisture wicking can deal with.
Also, once gore-tex shoes get wet, they take a long time to dry, which can create extra rubbing on the feet. I find I walk my trail runners dry quite quickly, and with good socks, without risking blisters.

Gortex can get really hot in the summer and that can contribute to additional sweating of the feet and blisters. I have some midheight gortex boots for winter caminos and just wear non gortex trail runners for summer.
I wear waterproof boots in both summer and winter, and I have never found that they get particularly hot in summer. I tend to wear different weight socks in the different seasons, which might make the difference. And of course, one can expect that there will be some sweating anyhow, and socks will be slightly damp. I would worry if they were soaked in sweat, but that has never happened.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear waterproof boots in both summer and winter, and I have never found that they get particularly hot in summer. I tend to wear different weight socks in the different seasons, which might make the difference. And of course, one can expect that there will be some sweating anyhow, and my socks will be slightly damp. I would worry if they were soaked in sweat, but that has never happened.
I wore gortex shoes the first summer Camino and got bad blisters. Individual difference is likely the factor.

I wore gortex shoes the first summer Camino and got bad blisters. Individual difference is likely the factor.
The general consensus is that there is no such thing as a waterproof shoe, they all have a big hole where the foot goes in. My experience is gortex boots do stop damp coming in from below. They may if a full boot be hotter and long distance walkers in the ultralight camp favour trail runners. But in the never ending boot verse trail runners debate I would caution against forgetting the impact of unconditioned feet doing something unusual. You are likely to do only 20 to 30 kms a day and most shoes will dry overnight or in the first hours of the next days walk given to will be generating heat. But ultimately everyone’s feet and reactions are different. I have walked the Camino only twice and never had a blister. Just go at your own pace and if it doesn’t feel right stop and attend to it. Most people I have seen that stuff up are those that try to tuff it out. No hero’s just pilgrims please.

Goretex trail runners? Yea or nay?
If you already own a pair use them. If shopping then don't bother getting a waterproof pair; gravity will pull water down wet socks anyway.

I walked a two month Camino Francés mid-May to mid-July with Goretex equivalent leather boots with no discomfort. I also walked an autumn Camino with cold rain at the end with non-waterproof fabric walking shoes. My feet got wet but stayed warm because they kept moving.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I take two pairs of shoes. One W/O gore tex and gore tex boots. I walked in a fair amount of rain this year and my Salomon Goretex boots were a lifesaver. However, and it's a big however, it's important that the tongue is gore tex and when they are being used to either have gators or rain pants with stirrups. The slightest leak and they become worse than non- goretex as they are hot and slow to dry. Used correctly they saved my feet though.

Goretex shoes work well in normal wet weather, but when they’ve wet out, as they will in persistent downpours, they can take a very long time to dry out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That isn't my experience. I have walked in summer on the Frances, in Japan and on the via Francigena and found the opposite. Gortex fabric allows moisture to evaporate. Perhaps it is down to individual differences.
I have had the same experience. I always were my Keen waterproof all seasons and have had blisterfree experiences. No matter which shows you choose, change socks often during the day.

It is interesting how different people have different experiences! I would only consider goretex footwear if I were anticipating walking in snow. I’ve actually walked in light snow in Altra Olympus trail runners (non-waterproof) and had no problems. If it’s raining a lot, I wear a plastic bag between sock and shoe to keep out rain water when walking through puddles. I’ve done this maybe 3 times in a dozen caminos just for short periods of time. Otherwise I just change socks every so often. The worst rain/wet situation I ever had was not on a Camino. It happened while waiting in line at the Prado in a cold rain. It was so wet and I was mostly standing still, so when I got into the museum I had to remove my shoes and actually wring out my socks. This never ever happened while walking any Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have walked the camino many times and the first time from SJDP it rained all day and I got blisters which I had until Santiago, and that was in May. I had made the mistake of not having Goretex. From then on I have worn Salomon goretex which I thoroughly recommend. But so test them before your walk in case there is a leak (which there is sometimes).

Most emphatically Not a Gortex fan when used in foot ware. I have "tried" ( having been sold the accilaids by salespeople ) only to continue my journey thinking predominately how I can not get out of these boots fast enough. Imagine wearing a plastic bag on your feet (OK, half a plastic bag... not sure the % of water transfer through the fabric but 50% is too liberal ). I now use full leather with leather lining on extended excursions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I take two pairs of shoes. One W/O gore tex and gore tex boots. I walked in a fair amount of rain this year and my Salomon Goretex boots were a lifesaver. However, and it's a big however, it's important that the tongue is gore tex and when they are being used to either have gators or rain pants with stirrups. The slightest leak and they become worse than non- goretex as they are hot and slow to dry. Used correctly they saved my feet though.
Thanks for the post. I’m walking my first camino Norte from San Sebastián to Santiago from 8/27 to 9/30. I have decided to take 2 pairs of shoes—my Salomon Goretex ankle boots and a pair of trail runners. However looking at my route and projected and average rainfall in the month of September, I’m contemplating switching to goretex trail runner in lieu of ultralight trail runners . I do have rain pants and jacket. Wet feet are not fun feet. I think your 2 pairs of shoes approach will serve me well.

I have decided to take 2 pairs of shoes—my Salomon Goretex ankle boots and a pair of trail runners. However looking at my route and projected and average rainfall in the month of September, I’m contemplating switching to goretex trail runner in lieu of ultralight trail runners
I definitely would not take two pair of Goretex shoes. September can be hot. I would take hiking sandals as my back up shoes. In fact, I've walked the Norte exclusively in hiking sandals twice. Waterproof socks with sandals can keep feet dry.

I definitely would not take two pair of Goretex shoes. September can be hot. I would take hiking sandals as my back up shoes. In fact, I've walked the Norte exclusively in hiking sandals twice. Waterproof socks with sandals can keep feet dry.
Thanks for the note. I’ve looked at average temps for September and I’m reading high 80s and low 60s throughout various stages of the route. I live in Tampa Florida so “hot and humid” take on a different meaning for me. I know that healthy feet are key to enjoying any hike/walk etc. Therefore I’m paying attention to weather, socks, shoes etc. I will probably go hybrid and wear my Salomon goretex boots (which work well for me in hot humid Florida trails) and ultralight trail shoe. We shall see. Thanks for the advice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As with so many things Camino it is about what works for your body - feet in this instance - and temperament.
However hearing all sides of the story probably does help to make a more informed decision.
I wear Merrell Mids gortex in all seasons. I have to yet find a pair of trail runners that work for my feet.
I found that even after a downpour where I felt I had buckets of water on my feet at one point, the Merrells dried out overnight.
My lightweight merino socks seem to wick away any summer moisture and luckily I am not blister prone.
I would advise to get a shoe/boot that firstly fits and then think about the gortex question after that.
Buen Camino

Thanks for the post. I’m walking my first camino Norte from San Sebastián to Santiago from 8/27 to 9/30. I have decided to take 2 pairs of shoes—my Salomon Goretex ankle boots and a pair of trail runners. However looking at my route and projected and average rainfall in the month of September, I’m contemplating switching to goretex trail runner in lieu of ultralight trail runners . I do have rain pants and jacket. Wet feet are not fun feet. I think your 2 pairs of shoes approach will serve me well.
I think it's good to have one pair that dries easily and lots of sock changes. I trained a lot in the heat and rain in Ft Lauderdale. I know what you mean :).
Have a great time!

i think it depends on how much you sweat. everyone is different. I'm a heavy sweater and found my socks were soaked on my first camino while wearing shoes w goretex and yes I got a huge blister on the ball of one foot. On my next camino (also summer) I chose a non-goretex version of the same shoe -- Merrells moabs and I noticed a big difference. For me, the non goretex were more breathable and I didn't get any blisters. If you're concerned about rain, in the summer time chances are that your shoes will dry overnight. Winter time is another story...
If you do decide to go with the goretex shoes - I suggest you take an extra pair of quick drying socks (not cotton) to change during the day.
Best of luck and enjoy your camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used Salomón trailster 2 gtx. Not a single blister and my feet got hot like anyone else I suppose but bought two more pairs when I got home ready for other caminos. You know how they go out of fashion in about a week these days. I used thin merino mix socks too. Didn’t double sock or use thick socks. Perfect. The shoes lasted about 1200k and are still workable but very smelly. Slight wear to soles and the back of the heels. I would go gtx every time. When it rained I was really comfortable.

I started Frances in Lowa Renegades (Gortex). The weather got hot, blisters appeared roughly 8-9 days later, and things went downhill fast.
Cobbled into SDdC where got a pair of Teva non Gortex
Still had to live with blisters until they healed, but no new ones and from there on a nice smooth hike.

P.S. I'm into boots not trail runners

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If your feet are hot, then it’s a NAY! We’re in the Pacific Northwest, and I thought GoreTex would be perfect. The problem is trail dust clogs the material and then the shoes become plastic bags. I ended up with blisters on my toes and in between my toes. On our second Camino, I wore Montrail flexible fabric trail runners, which resulted in zero blisters. My new go-to shoes are Keen NXIS. Great foot support with uppers that you can practically see through. Yes, they get wet, but dry super fast.

One other thing. On the one big rain day we had in May 2017, the boots were full of water. Why? Wet socks act as wicks and pulled all the water off my pants and legs right into the boots. When I took the boots off I could pour the water out just like I was emptying a glass. The GoreTex only kept the outside of the boot dry.

Hope this helps.

If your feet are hot, then it’s a NAY! We’re in the Pacific Northwest, and I thought GoreTex would be perfect. The problem is trail dust clogs the material and then the shoes become plastic bags. I ended up with blisters on my toes and in between my toes. On our second Camino, I wore Montrail flexible fabric trail runners, which resulted in zero blisters. My new go-to shoes are Keen NXIS. Great foot support with uppers that you can practically see through. Yes, they get wet, but dry super fast.

One other thing. On the one big rain day we had in May 2017, the boots were full of water. Why? Wet socks act as wicks and pulled all the water off my pants and legs right into the boots. When I took the boots off I could pour the water out just like I was emptying a glass. The GoreTex only kept the outside of the boot dry.

Hope this helps.
It does, thanks so much!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hope this helps.
Yes, definitely need to clean the boots if they are so dirty that the gortex is blocked. Once cleaned they will work as designed.

We're all different.......

I love Gor-tex footwear.
Never get sweaty feet, never had a blister.

This year I had to walk in non gor-tex.
The one day it rained my feet were soaked all day.
If I had walked 3+ wet days in a row I have no doubt I would have got blisters.
Changing socks was pointless, soaked again with 1 minute.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gore-tex is a trademark name for a layer of stretched nylon and teflon. Such a layer has micropores, which should not allow water to go inside your shoe, while allowing evaporation of smaller than water air particles. A good patent definitively, works well, but it does negatively impact breathability. This is undeniable and hence many pro hikers choose lighter, more breathable shoes for trails in hot weather. I own two pairs of Gore-tex shoes, because I live in rainy Ireland. For Camino in the summer I would take something lighter, without Gore-tex. Potentially even a pair of modern, comfortable sandals from Salomon, Merrell or Keen. I would see this as a safer choice. Even if there will be rain - sandals dry fast. Mostly I would expect hot weather so shoes with a layer which impedes breathability would be a no-no for me

Gore-tex is a trademark name for a layer of stretched nylon and teflon. Such a layer has micropores, which should not allow water to go inside your shoe, while allowing evaporation of smaller than water air particles. A good patent definitively, works well, but it does negatively impact breathability. This is undeniable and hence many pro hikers choose lighter, more breathable shoes for trails in hot weather. I own two pairs of Gore-tex shoes, because I live in rainy Ireland. For Camino in the summer I would take something lighter, without Gore-tex. Potentially even a pair of modern, comfortable sandals from Salomon, Merrell or Keen. I would see this as a safer choice. Even if there will be rain - sandals dry fast. Mostly I would expect hot weather so shoes with a layer which impedes breathability would be a no-no for me
Agreed

I'm reporting on the Clarks ATL shoes I wore on the Via Francigena. They held up well with good overall performance. They weren't subject to a soaking as conditions were dry. But no signs of immediate weaknesses. I think they are good for many a mile yet.

As with all manufactured shoes one foot may do well whilst the other may suffer. I lost a toe nail where it had caught on the shoe. But a goodly shoe for those whose feet are trail hardened.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had the Goretex version of the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors for my Portuguese Camino. My socks were not summer weight, but were tried and tested Bridgedale merino mix. I would take my socks and shoes off for at least 10 minutes twice a day, to give my feet the chance to dry out as they did get a bit sweaty. Given how hot it was for most of my Camino, I think any footwear other than sandals would have been sweaty. I didn't have any blisters.

Given the inundation last Friday on my last few km to Santiago, my feet were damp-ish on arrival. I suspect that was water entering the shoes from the top, rather than soaking through the fabric. They were not squelchy (the way that they would have been if I'd stepped in a deep puddle above top of shoe level). The shooes were dry enough by the time I left Santiago on Saturday morning. I suspect if I'd been wearing my Meindl boots (leather with Goretex) my feet would have been dryer, but that would be more down to the useful overlap between the bottom of my waterproof trousers and the top of my boots.

I doubt anything short of fishermen's waders would keep feet dry given current conditions in Santiago!

I had the Goretex version of the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors for my Portuguese Camino. My socks were not summer weight, but were tried and tested Bridgedale merino mix. I would take my socks and shoes off for at least 10 minutes twice a day, to give my feet the chance to dry out as they did get a bit sweaty. Given how hot it was for most of my Camino, I think any footwear other than sandals would have been sweaty. I didn't have any blisters.

Given the inundation last Friday on my last few km to Santiago, my feet were damp-ish on arrival. I suspect that was water entering the shoes from the top, rather than soaking through the fabric. They were not squelchy (the way that they would have been if I'd stepped in a deep puddle above top of shoe level). The shooes were dry enough by the time I left Santiago on Saturday morning. I suspect if I'd been wearing my Meindl boots (leather with Goretex) my feet would have been dryer, but that would be more down to the useful overlap between the bottom of my waterproof trousers and the top of my boots.

I doubt anything short of fishermen's waders would keep feet dry given current conditions in Santiago!
I also have the Ultra Raptors in gortex (mid height) as my winter Camino and overall winter hiking shoe. They are a few years old, but still serviceable and I will wear them again in December and January for my upcoming short Camino with a student group. I also wear them for winter hiking and snowshoeing in Wyoming where I live.

Another vote for gortex. I used Merrell Moab 3 gortex trail runners. Loved them, and plan to buy the exact same pair again.

I was a bit concerned that they would be hot in the summer, but I haven't found that to be the case.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fine, so long as you don´t expect them to actually keep water out. I wear Goretex shoes because it is hard now to find shoes without it and haven´t had any problems with them. But Goretex wears out quite quickly, especially in footwear, and shoes develop holes and cracks in the uppers.

16 Caminos with Goretex shoes. Great with long hiking trousers the only time I had them full of water was when I used three quarter trousers. One Camino with Hokas. Love them but not hardwearing and very expensive to keep renewing. Would love to take them both but I'm choosing my Keens on my upcoming VDLP.

Very emotive topic.
I have worn gor-tex shoes
And I have worn non gor-tex shoes.

Wet feet and socks suck........ ;)

3,000 kms so far and not a single blister. :rolleyes:

But it depends totally on the design and fit of the shoe.
Last Camino I had to wear non gor-tex but thankfully no rain.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.