• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shopping / Carry-on Bag

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I've seen posts in which people recommend taking a reusable shopping bag. Is there one that could double as a carry-on? Perhaps that smushes down really well?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have one of these and use it all year long. Sturdy, light (90g), compresses into a tiny pouch. Made from recycled materials. I use it as a carry-on on the plane as well as for shopping on the camino. I like it better than just a shopping bag because it leaves your hands free.

http://www.onyabags.co.uk/index.php/products/bags-backpacks/onya-back

Attachments

• slate_apple_fireworks.jpg
    slate_apple_fireworks.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 27
I have a cloth messenger bag. You could use it for a carry on. It's relatively light (if heavier then a plastic bag).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like the look of the ultra-sil, too. Does it really squish down to fit on a keychain? Or is it one of those things you can never seem to get back into the packaging very well?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We bought a sil-sac each because we had read about them on the forum. They are great and, with a little practise, fold away OK. I think it is easier if they are turned inside out to pack away and put the bottom end in the pouch first, but it is a while since I actually folded mine up. An added advantage is that the material is waterproofed.

I like the look of the ultra-sil, too. Does it really squish down to fit on a keychain? Or is it one of those things you can never seem to get back into the packaging very well?
Mine has always packed back into its little pouch.

Hola

Same. Brought a nylon reusable bag for grocery shopping, bath room items, sitting on when wet, etc.
Also, a new idea I thought of might be useful, is a stick of chalk.
Many times you would like to communicate with those behind you, and making arrows with sticks are not always good enough.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a craftsperson on etsy make me a messenger bag out of black parachute material. It looks a bit it's make out of a garbage bag (haha!), but it weighs about 35 grams and is very strong. I wanted something hands-free that wasn't a backpack. To start over, I'd probably change the colour - but I'm very happy with my bag overall!

I use the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil daypack mentioned by DougFitz, above. You can find it at: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

When in the stuff sack it is about the size of an oval tennis ball, and near as lightweight. I wear it on my left shoulder strap, attached with a plastic carabiner and held down with a rubber band.

The reason is that, on entering a town or city, I can reach up with my dominant hand (right) and remove the bag for use without removing my rucksack. This allows me to go grocery shopping on the way into town.

The - now filled daypack - can be clipped to my shoulder harness at my front, using similar, lightweight carabiners. Also, when you are settled for the evening, or staying more than overnight, the daypack makes a good city bag for playing tourist. Finally, it is an ideal size to use as an airline carry-on.

As always, I hope this helps someone.

For 2 euros, you can buy sturdy but light zippered shopping bags in any of the "China stores" along the Camino. The China stores are like dollar stores and carry just about anything a person might need.

I bought a Sea to Summit and it only lasted one trip. My China bag is much sturdier and about the same weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Our Sea to Summit bags are doing well. Mine went on a trip to Malta with a friend as well as on the Camino. One thing I did notice is that I have to take care not to have sharp corners on packets, one dug a small hole in the proofing but not the actual pack which is rip-proof. Sorry to see yours didn't hold up well Annie, especially as they are expensive.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.