• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino shopping

SarahTheKiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning 2024 Camino Frances
How exciting to go shopping for my upcoming Camino Frances, April 2024. Here are some of my bargain finds.

* Mini sanitiser and the perfect sized carabiner - it will hang from my ribbon webbing.
* Mini shampoo/conditioner bottles.
* A pouch with shoulder strap.... I'm going to fashion it into a sternum pouch using the metal hoops either side... and do away with shoulder strap.
* S hooks... I'll just take one.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't rule out your local Kmart, Target, $2 shop, or whatever it is in your area. I know there are people who insist on branded items, but there are options. I'll be going back for more carabiners

20230828_134227.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't rule out your local Kmart, Target, $2 shop, or whatever it is in your area. I know there are people who insist on branded items, but there are options.
Absolutely. I have bought a number of Camino things at the Dollar store. They have some zippered mesh laundry bags that would be great for packing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good for you! Another tip, a "shampoo bar" available at stylist shops can replace your body soap and shampoo. No, it isn't the best at either, but good enough for the Camino.
Ever since my first Camino in 2016 I only use shampoo bars. They are available at many different places and at many different price points. In fact, I've bought some at Dollar stores.

A good thing about buying inexpensive items for your Camino is that if you decide that they won't work for you, that you haven't spent a ton of money on them.

Given my favourite long sleeve hiking shirt I bought in Lidl 10 years ago which has outlasted the expensive one I got given as a present for Christmas the next year - I am all in favour of spending wisely on gear! I have stuff from IKEA, Lidl, Primark, Dunnes Stores (for my fellow Irish folks), Pound/euro shops, supermarkets in my pack. I have gear from the cheaper end of the outdoor/hiking market including shorts. I also have second hand branded gear that I bought online such as on ebay. But I have splurged on some items like shoes and rucksack, which is about spending wisely!

I am a shampoo bar girl - in fact I made the switch in my normal life at home not just travelling. Lighter and less messy travelling.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes got one of those previously so that I can air dry my towel on the outside my pack. I've heard of people using them to separate dirty shoes too.
I use shower caps (from the Dollar store) for dirty shoes. I don't think that the mesh bags would work that well for that purpose.

Great finds! However, you might want to try that bag with the shoulder strap as is, since you'll want to keep your valuables with you at all times. Or are you planning on using a bumbag for that and this for something else? I personally prefer to use a cross-body bag for my passport, money, phone etc and put it on before/under the pack so it stays on even when I sit down for a coffee etc.

Oh and I totally agree with the shampoo bars, I use them at home now too. Being a kiwi you have probably got easy access to Ethique ones! Enjoy your prep and planning 🌻

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fun thread. We found some super super lightweight plastic bowls at our local dollar store. We take them with us because we sometimes like to have breakfast cereal and fruit in our room for either breakfast or dinner. The bowls have held up for several years.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love those finds!
I reuse little pouches from airlines ( those that come with socks inside) as first aid kits or other small things carriers. Ziploc bags also work.

Maybe not for everyone, but for my first Camino, I had my hair cut really short. I didn't need to take shampoo, conditioner, a brush or a comb. It was mostly under a hat or a beanie, but it kept its "style" when uncovered. It was soooo easy, & it was the Camino, so appearance was not paramount. No regrets at all about my decision.
Second Camino, I enjoyed the same advantages, but with a centimetre or 2 more length! 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great finds! However, you might want to try that bag with the shoulder strap as is, since you'll want to keep your valuables with you at all times. Or are you planning on using a bumbag for that and this for something else? I personally prefer to use a cross-body bag for my passport, money, phone etc and put it on before/under the pack so it stays on even when I sit down for a coffee etc.

Oh and I totally agree with the shampoo bars, I use them at home now too. Being a kiwi you have probably got easy access to Ethique ones! Enjoy your prep and planning 🌻
I'm hoping to find a lighter strap, so that I can still use the pouch as a cross body bag under a jacket when going out. I didn't want to wear a bum bag as I've already got the pack hip straps there - but then again everything is subject to testing before I leave! I'm tossing up between liquid soap and shampoo bar to do everything including laundry, but must admit I'm more shampoo bar curious now.

Yes got one of those previously so that I can air dry my towel on the outside my pack. I've heard of people using them to separate dirty shoes too.
I love my smallish zippered mesh laundry bags. I use them for packing nearly everything in my backpack as I use a white trash compactor bag to line the interior. They make no noise, so there is no annoying bag rustling when packing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
CC is this just to keep things clean, or for bugs??
If raining the trash compactor bag is extra protection to keep everything inside dry. Although my pack cover works pretty good, since I use a rain jacket instead of a poncho, things inside could still be compromised in a long lasting downpour. It also keeps bedbugs out of my things as I seal it shut at night. I prefer the laundry bags to stuff sacks. They are much easier to pack up and in addition.you can see what's inside.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How exciting to go shopping for my upcoming Camino Frances, April 2024. Here are some of my bargain finds.

* Mini sanitiser and the perfect sized carabiner - it will hang from my ribbon webbing.
* A pouch with shoulder strap.... I'm going to fashion it into a sternum pouch using the metal hoops either side... and do away with shoulder strap.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't rule out your local Kmart, Target, $2 shop, or whatever it is in your area. I know there are people who insist on branded items, but there are options. I'll be going back for more carabiners

View attachment 155288
An idea for shampoo/conditioner is Lush sells a round bar that can be used for hair and body. If you purchase their square tin it makes it easy to get the round soap out and best part...lasts the entire camino. (I even used it to wash my socks in the sink!)

Ever since my first Camino in 2016 I only use shampoo bars. They are available at many different places and at many different price points. In fact, I've bought some at Dollar stores.

A good thing about buying inexpensive items for your Camino is that if you decide that they won't work for you, that you haven't spent a ton of money on them.
I am thinking about bringing a shampoo bar…but am perplexed with the best way to pack it. Any ideas for how to let it dry after use so you can pack it away?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am thinking about bringing a shampoo bar…but am perplexed with the best way to pack it. Any ideas for how to let it dry after use so you can pack it away?
I made a mesh bag for mine. I can use it while it's in the mesh bag. Then I hang it on the clothes line after my shower. That doesn't get it completely dry though, so I wrap it in a small piece of microfiber towel and put it in a small ziplock baggie.

Last edited:
We just keep ours in a ziplock sandwich bag. It dries pretty quickly and I pop it in after my shower. May depend on the type and brand you use.

Definitely going to check out these shampoo bars now! Ethique has been advertising a lot lately. I have exceptionally dry skin so need something that's kind.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
BTW, I am making shampoo and conditioner bars again (I wasn't happy with the durability of the Lush versions, so have formulated my own). I'll post them in the commercial/for sale/what's that section called?

BTW, I am making shampoo and conditioner bars again (I wasn't happy with the durability of the Lush versions, so have formulated my own). I'll post them in the commercial/for sale/what's that section called?
I have used @JillGat's shampoo and conditioner bars in the past, and the conditioner bar is the best bar type conditioner that I've used. I'm a little mad at myself that I gave one away to my daughter!

View attachment 155288
I like the "sternum pouch" idea. I tried something similar on one Camino. Just be sure it doesn't jiggle around too much as this can become quite annoying when walking. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the "sternum pouch" idea. I tried something similar on one Camino. Just be sure it doesn't jiggle around too much as this can become quite annoying when walking. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️
Hi JMac - unfortunately this idea hasn't panned out for me. I've got my pack now and there's not a lot of webbing options on the front straps. It's still the best pack for me ergonomically and volume wise and those are pretty important too. So I think I'll go back to the idea of a pouch that can be worn across the shoulder, under the pack. Doubles as a purse/small bag when going out without the pack.

Speaking of shampoo bars - I've been doing some experimentation. I've tried the Anihana Lavender one available here in NZ. It's reasonably small, soaps up beautifully, but I don't think it will last long. Wasn't the cheapest either.

This one was excellent, and ironically it's the cheapest. Made in NZ. I'm pretty sure my hands are going to still be intact after a month of handwashing - Henrietta-natural-lemon-scented-shampoo-bar.

I've bought my sleeping bag - an ultralightweight 600gm down bag. Snug at room temperature. Have recently bought a lot of things for the Milford Track (10 Feb here we come!) so it will be a fitting road test for some of my gear. Very exciting times coming up!

Yes Sarah, good idea. That is where I went next too.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.