• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short pilgrimage - any advice?

en0frb

Hello,

I would like to walk to Santiago in July or August, but only have a week to do it in. I'm thinking of walking the Camino Ingles from Ferrol. However, I am a little worried about getting lost as I dont have any experience of navigating and my Spanish is limited (though not nonexistant). Also, is it safe for a woman to walk this route alone?

Is walking the lasts stages of one of the more popular routes (Camino Frances or Via del Plata) a better idea? From what I've seen on the forums, it sounds a little difficult to get a bed for the night on the Camino Frances!

Any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated,

Frances

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
en0frb said:
I would like to walk to Santiago in July or August, but only have a week to do it in.
Is walking the lasts stages of one of the more popular routes (Camino Frances or Via del Plata) a better idea? From what I've seen on the forums, it sounds a little difficult to get a bed for the night on the Camino Frances!

I only had a week at Christmas, so I took a bus from Santiago to Lugo then another bus to Ambasmestas, just before the climb to O Cebreiro. It's a very pleasant stage of the Camino and the walk to Santiago from here is a perfect distance if you just have a week.

Looking at the question of accommodation in July or August, yes it is indeed much busier, but at the earlier end of the summer you should have few problems finding a bed. Last August I was part of the pilgrim 'tsunami' - as the hospitaleros described it - and when our wave of pilgrims who had set out from SJPP and Roncesvalles in the first couple of days of August all arrived together in the last stage of the Camino Frances, the refugios filled up within minutes of opening. It's because many people need to be back at work or study at the beginning of September. But if you were to go for a week at the beginning of August and just do the last stage, it would not be difficult to find accommodation as you'd be well ahead of the pilgrim tidal wave!

Gareth

Hi Frances

Your first attraction to the Camino Ingles from Ferrol might be right. I think it is a fantastic route - almost as if it was designed for a week's walking. Some of the scenery is lovely, the stages aren't too long, and whilst there isn't a lot of albergue accomodation there are other alternatives. And when you are planning to go there will very probably be other pilgrims around. I found the local people along this route particularly friendly and helpful and I think walking alone you would encounter no problems. It is also very easily accessible flying into Santiago with a shortish bus journey to Ferrol.

You won't get lost. The route is so well waymarked you can almost walk it without a guide book - but I would recommend the CSJ guide plus printing out some of the postings on this Forum.

It is a cracking little complete route - go for it :)

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

Another interesting option could be the Camino Portuguese from Tui to Santiago.

Choose the one you choose,

Buen Camino

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Here are some options:

100km camino walks to Santiago

On the Camino Frances Peruscallo is exactly 100 kms from Santiago

Ferrol - 102
Lugo - 101
Sarria - 114
Muxia/Fisterra - 116
Tui - 112
Ourense - 108

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm booking my flights today - its going to be the Camino Ingles in the last week of July this year! I know its going to be hot, but its the only time I can get off work. I'm about 75% terrified and 25% excited - time to start training up I think.

Fran

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fran...welcome to the Class of 2008!

I'm sure more folks will be making the Way in company with you. Check out the calendar at the bottom of this page and see whom may be walking at the same time. Also enter your dates for the same reason.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back