• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I use insoles?

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I will soon be doing my first Camino. I have two metal plates in my spine from a car accident many years ago, and because of this I need good cushioning in my boots, otherwise my back aches.

I understand a lot of the Camino will be on hard surfaces - tarmac, paving etc - and so cushioning becomes even more important.

Is there a particular brand of boot that has particularly good cushioning? And should I be using additional insoles?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think that everyone's different. I like to have insoles for any of my shoes. I'll be on the Camino May/June and plan on taking 2 sets of insoles to change out every other day. I was on the Camino in 2011 and found that it was really important to have my feet in as good of condition as possible!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ampolla said:
I'll be on the Camino May/June and plan on taking 2 sets of insoles to change out every other day.

Thanks for the response. Hmmm - why do you need two sets? And what sort / brand of insoles do you use?

You may be at the wrong address, I was suffering from a heel spur three years ago and the insoles resolved the pain immediately, last two years I walked without and experienced no pain. HOWEVER, I didn't decide, my Podiatrist doctor did and I walked comfortably with custom made insoles. Over the counter insoles might and I emphasize might help you but if you need them get the real thing! They also assist in Achilles tendon problems, all to common on the Camino-do your stretching exercises before and after walking.

scruffy1 said:
-do your stretching exercises before and after walking.

Thank you for the advice - and yes, I've found that doing yoga stretches before and after helps the walk incredibly - makes the rhythm of walking much easier.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I replace the insoles that come with any footwear with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SPENCO-POLY ... 4d08d0618b

I have flat feet, and these "stock" insoles improve the angle of my ankle, and they have sufficient cushion to make any shoe or boot much more comfortable. Spenco makes a gel version that also may be good, but I have not tried it. I have had custom orthotics, but they were not as comfortable!

Talk to your physio. I walked without and got tendonitis. I walked with and dind't

Hey im in the same predicament, and i just was wondering whether custom ones or not are the best option? Im so confused because some people say get £100 insoles and other say that custom ones are just a big waste of money as gel ones mold to foot shape anyway so its pointless getting custom ones.... any ideas?

My thoughts at the moment are to buy gel ones like these

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.