• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM card and place to purchase

JoeF

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I will be starting my Camino in two weeks from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. I arrive Paris from Toronto and make my way to SJPP. Where is the best place to buy my SIM card for the 6 weeks I will be on trail? Is a SIM
Card bought in France useable once I cross over into Spain? Will appreciate your advice. I tried to search for some past msgs but couldn’t find anything.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you buy it in France it will be good for Spain. In 2021 I went with Orange and picked mine up in Pamplona which meant 4 days of Telus international charges :( . The only difficulties I and another friend had was I could not top up my card at the end of the 28 days through the website as it wouldn't take my Canadian CC - but I could top up in store, and a friend had picked up her sim in France but Spanish Orange stores would not allow to top up because it was registered in France. lol You can pick up cards at convenience stores for Orange/Vodaphone/etc to top up your account but I have no experience with that.

Buen Camino!

I bought a card for 15 Euros in Pamplona with unlimited wifi. I thought I could get one earlier as I did a few years ago and I had asked in Roncesvalles, but the shop next to the cloister said they didn't sell them .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I tried to search for some past msgs but couldn’t find anything.
Hi @JoeF. I have put the tag "phones/apps/gps/maps" at the top of this thread under the title. If you click on it, you'll find many relevant threads about phones and SIM cards.

New members might find that it is useful to browse through the tag cloud at the bottom of the main Forums page.

Please be aware, not all SIM cards bought in France will work in Spain without extra charges (learned that the hard way).
If you are passing through Pamplona on the way to SJPdP there are lots of mobile phone shops who will happily take your Euros for a one month plan. You can then top it off further down the Camino if you are going to be longer than a month on Camino.

I leave in less than a month from SJPP. Is there a place to buy the SIM cards prior to Pamplon? I noticed an Orange 50GB SIM card can be purchase from Amazon. Anyone ever done this? It appears good for 28 days Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where are you landing? You can likely find a store in the airport. Else the trip from SJPdP to Pamplona is only 3 days and mostly well marked. There is a tricky turn in Burguete (day 2 for most).
The route marking is easy to follow.
DM me if I can help.

I forgot to say, they do unlimited data plans for various lengths of time & will work in all EU countries. Just remember to switch your data roaming on after you've installed the e-sim.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Couple of comments questions:
1) Europe did away with roaming in the EU in 2017 so technically you should be able to buy one in France to use in Spain. I have purchased one in Portugal and used it in Spain, but did not need to top off so I can't speak to doing that.
2) Do you need physical sim or e-sim? It matters as to where you can do this.
3) To buy one in Pamplona is much cheaper than Amazon... 100GB for 20 euro, plus 5 if you get e-sim.
4) I like orange as there are plenty of stores in the larger towns to top off easily
5) I prefer to have them install for me and be sure that everything is working correctly.
6) Protect the pin code they give you or you will be locked out of the sim.

I now buy an electronic one through orange holiday. It was great scan a code they give you but only once. In settings you put that phone number in and just put that one as primary number under cellular. It also crossed over in Portugal. Easy . It was a French number just for your info.

Sjpdp or Dublin airport to get a SIM?
I live in Australia with family in the UK, where I will be traveling to the camino from via Dublin. Starting in Sjpdp soon., Previously I used Sims I picked up in England, cheaply available everywhere.
I understand due to crazy stupid brexit, UK Sims don't roam in Europe.
I don't feel comfortable without my phone having data connection. Google maps and ability to WhatsApp family and friends is my comfort blanket.
Getting a SIM that will roam in Birmingham or Dublin airport or Sjpdp, or getting my Irish walking companion to get one for me, are all possible. Any advice?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can buy a SIM card from Amazon. Just have it delivered to your home before you fly over. Spain has very good rates and this is usually reflected in the advertising on Amazon. The most recent price I saw was $24 for 14G useable all over Europe but it was also good for over 100G in Spain. If you buy two to cover the whole trip, make sure that the activation date covers when you will need the SIM. I used Vodafone on the Via last year and had great coverage almost everywhere,

I will be starting my Camino in two weeks from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. I arrive Paris from Toronto and make my way to SJPP. Where is the best place to buy my SIM card for the 6 weeks I will be on trail? Is a SIM
Card bought in France useable once I cross over into Spain? Will appreciate your advice. I tried to search for some past msgs but couldn’t find anything.
he only difficulties I and another friend had was I could not top up my card at the end of the 28 days through the website as it wouldn't take my Canadian CC - but I could top up in store,
1) Europe did away with roaming in the EU in 2017 so technically you should be able to buy one in France to use in Spain. I have purchased one in Portugal and used it in Spain, but did not need to top off so I can't speak to doing that.
My first few caminos I used Orange. I have been using Vodafone for the last 5. All the big carriers have plans. Last year I paid 20 Euros for a couple of hundred minutes of calling within Europe and 15 or maybe it was 20 gigas of data. That is alot of data. I only call albergues to see if they are open as I am walking in November or December. I speak to family through whatsapp. If there is lousy wifi or no wifi I have plenty of data. Also I only use Whatsapp to contact my family. I live in Mexico now and to call Mexico I would need a more expensive plan. There are plans on Vofafone that give you lots of data and the ability to call the United States at around the same price as the plan I get.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If your phone accepts dual SIMs, and/or an e-SIM, I used Airalo on my short Camino in May. I couldn't use my US phone to call or text but WhatsApp works great. I was only in Spain so bought a country-specific one. But they also have regional, i.e., Europe, options as well. I recommend this as an option. https://www.airalo.com/ Oh, also, there are a number of well-done videos with instructions on exactly how to purchase and install the Airalo eSIM.

Orange - both countries - easy to google location of store nearest to where you’re staying.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I purchased a Lebara SIM card in SJPP. It was good for data and could be renewed online but calling/text in Spain was not permitted. If you can wait until you get to Spain to purchase a SIM it would be preferable

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Couple of comments questions:
2) Do you need physical sim or e-sim? It matters as to where you can do this.
3) To buy one in Pamplona is much cheaper than Amazon... 100GB for 20 euro, plus 5 if you get e-sim.
4) I like orange as there are plenty of stores in the larger towns to top off easily
5) I prefer to have them install for me and be sure that everything is working correctly.
6) Protect the pin code they give you or you will be locked out of the sim.
Related to this:
- You will want to enable roaming and roaming data. Per (1) above it should be free but it still may need to be enabled.
-You may want to adjust the settings so that you do not need to enter the pin code for the SIM, as mentioned in (6) above, every time you restart your phone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sjpdp or Dublin airport to get a SIM?
I live in Australia with family in the UK, where I will be traveling to the camino from via Dublin. Starting in Sjpdp soon., Previously I used Sims I picked up in England, cheaply available everywhere.
I don't feel comfortable without my phone having data connection. Google maps and ability to WhatsApp family and friends is my comfort blanket.
Getting a SIM that will roam in Birmingham or Dublin airport or Sjpdp, or getting my Irish walking companion to get one for me, are all possible. Any advice?
I’ve bought a Keepgo e-sim that provides data and it will work in Spain and the UK. I’ll activate it on arrival in Spain. It seems easy enough to top up and I don’t lose any data left on it, so long as I top it up annually and I think a dollar was enough to do that.

What phone number would you use?
The number that comes with the eSIM as provided by the telecom (Vodafone, Orange, etc., that you buy the eSIM from) the same as with a physical SIM.

Before I left on my last Camino, I switched my phone from a physical SIM to an eSIM with the same phone number from my telecom provider. Then I got a physical SIM in Spain. Now that I am back at home again, the physical SIM in my phone is still Spanish, but my phone is using its eSIM to call, text, and use the Internet. So I am absolutely certain it is possible.

Of course, if you buy your eSIM from a source that doesn't provide voice calls, neither will your eSIM. But they are not the only eSIM providers.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not quite that simple. Some UK networks still offer free roaming in the EU while others make a substantial extra charge. For my next trip to Spain I plan to use a pay-as-you-go SIM from Smarty (a branch of the Three network). Allows up to 12GB of the allowance for roaming which is plenty for my purposes.

I’m going to try out an esim while I’m over there. I believe i can have more than one on my phone if the French one doesn’t work in Spain. Not completely sure of the logistics yet but sounds a lot easier than buying a SIM card and then having to remember by Apple ID to replace it. Your phone settings will tell you if it is compatible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a yearly data sim by ee in the UK. That continued to work in Spain as in the UK.

In Spain I went to a bona fide mobile shop and bought an orange payg sim and used that for speech and Internet.

How about using an e-sim card? You can load the app before your trip. Plenty of providers and plan types.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would check out e-sim if you have a relatively new phone, buy, download, and install it before you leave home, and activate it when you get to Europe. Depending on the plan you buy they go seamlessly from country to country. We used an e-sim twice now and it is so much easier than finding a shop to buy a SIM card!

Thanks to the advice on here I have purchased an eSim for my upcoming walk. I wasn't really aware of them before. They seem to be more expensive than getting a physical sim in the big cities, but maybe on par with getting a SIM at the airport?
I think that, once again good advice on here, for the convenience of having it setup in advance, and one less thing to worry about on the way. You do need to check that your phone supports eSims tho.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.