• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to SANTIAGO

cardifflad52

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2015 Inglis Way , March 2022 Camino Frances
I am almost ready for the Camino Frances on the 26th . Being a solo traveller it be nice to come across other pilgrims en route to Santiago ..got my radio to listen to as an alternative

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am almost ready for the Camino Frances on the 26th . Just one question that's suggestion please for trousers I am only going to take two pairs altogether and need something which will dry quickly when washed , with zipped pockets if at all possible to keep my phone in etc ..many thanks ..
Depends on your budget. Mountain Warehouse have very affordable hiking trousers, which have zip or velcro pockets and which dry quickly.
Pay a little more to get Regatta or Peter Storm (online or at Millets/Blacks) versions with articulated knees or zip-off lower legs so they double as shorts.
Then more expensive again are Craghoppers versions made with stretchy material which are even more comfortable to wear all day.
If you are only buying the trousers, I suggest you save the delivery charge by going to the shop, so you can be sure they fit and you can see and feel for yourself what you're willing to pay for.
Enjoy your adventure!

Depends on your budget. Mountain Warehouse have very affordable hiking trousers, which have zip or velcro pockets and which dry quickly.
Pay a little more to get Regatta or Peter Storm (online or at Millets/Blacks) versions with articulated knees or zip-off lower legs so they double as shorts.
Then more expensive again are Craghoppers versions made with stretchy material which are even more comfortable to wear all day.
If you are only buying the trousers, I suggest you save the delivery charge by going to the shop, so you can be sure they fit and you can see and feel for yourself what you're willing to pay for.
Enjoy your adventure!
Oh, just to say I usually walk in shorts - in other than freezing conditions - and only wear hiking trousers in the evening, except when the shorts haven't dried after washing. My legs dry quicker than trousers!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, just to say I usually walk in shorts - in other than freezing conditions - and only wear hiking trousers in the evening, except when the shorts haven't dried after washing. My legs dry quicker than trousers!
Thank you for that ..I did go into tresspass yesterday and they were asking for £69 ..I.will be on a budget being that it be at least 35 days on the trail ..never worn shorts before but may give them a try I check the weather for next month before I decide but thank you for the info .

I just looked on go outdoors for those which can be converted into shorts so if it's a bit too warm then I can always do that on my comfort break not forgetting the suncream lotion which is already in my backpack with my first aid kit .

I am almost ready for the Camino Frances on the 26th . Just one question that's suggestion please for trousers I am only going to take two pairs altogether and need something which will dry quickly when washed , with zipped pockets if at all possible to keep my phone in etc ..many thanks ..
I just checked Decathlon in Cardiff and you have a store there. Here is the link to hiking pants. I don't know if your store has them or it is just online.
You can do a better search when you open the link. There may be things in your price range. You can go to the store and see what they have or order online. Even if things do not fit perfectly like you are going to a formal dinner, no one will care you are on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Cardifflad, greetings from across the water in Clevedon!
You could get trousers that zip off at the knee now, or else just buy some cheap shorts in Spain if it turns out sunny. Won't be hard to find on the camino.
Another idea - instead of taking a second pair of trousers just take a pair of Ron Hill tracksters - cheap, light, quick drying, hard wearing and comfy in bed on cold nights!
Cheers, tom

The Regatta e-Bay outlet here in UK often has good options. They in fact currently have the Highton Zip Offs that I'm taking on offer at £27.95 and the Leesville Zip Offs at 19.95.
The Highton are water resistant, have zip up pockets and i have found them to be very comfortable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just checked Decathlon in Cardiff and you have a store there. Here is the link to hiking pants. I don't know if your store has them or it is just online.
You can do a better search when you open the link. There may be things in your price range. You can go to the store and see what they have or order online. Even if things do not fit perfectly like you are going to a formal dinner, no one will care you are on the Camino.
Hi Cardifflad, greetings from across the water in Clevedon!
You could get trousers that zip off at the knee now, or else just buy some cheap shorts in Spain if it turns out sunny. Won't be hard to find on the camino.
Another idea - instead of taking a second pair of trousers just take a pair of Ron Hill tracksters - cheap, light, quick drying, hard wearing and comfy in bed on cold nights!
Cheers, tom
Thank you for that ..I guess your in the USA by saying your across the water , we call it across the pond being such a small world we live in and on a clear day I can see Clevedon in England across the Bristol Channel

Thank you for that ..I found a bargain on line at Go Outdoors so just waiting for an email from them when they be arriving at the store then my backpack will be completed

The Regatta e-Bay outlet here in UK often has good options. They in fact currently have the Highton Zip Offs that I'm taking on offer at £27.95 and the Leesville Zip Offs at 19.95.
The Highton are water resistant, have zip up pockets and i have found them to be very comfortable.

I ordered through Go Outdoors now but thank you for the info , I did order 3 pairs of merino wool socks from Ebay to take so expecting to collect them on Monday from my local argos store and they only cost £2 each with free shipping.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A small tip - to save weight, some people buy two identical pairs of zip off pants, but only bring the lower portion of one pair.
I taking my sleeping bag liner as I believe with the current situation thete maybe no blankets at some of the places ..altogether including my poles the weight comes to 7.5kg under the 10% of my body weight of 82kg .

Hi @cardifflad52, you're shopping like an expert!
I'm sure you're going to have a great Camino. If you've forgotten something, Spain has good shops too!
Keep a lookout for Carol, my better half, who is starting at St JeanPdP a few days after you and plans to walk 25km a day. Bright red waterproof and burgundy Berghaus rucksack.
Meanwhile I will be on the Via de la Plata. Perhaps I'll be able to buy you a glass of vino tinto in Santiago?!
Graham

Hi @cardifflad52, you're shopping like an expert!
I'm sure you're going to have a great Camino. If you've forgotten something, Spain has good shops too!
Keep a lookout for Carol, my better half, who is starting at St JeanPdP a few days after you and plans to walk 25km a day. Bright red waterproof and burgundy Berghaus rucksack.
Meanwhile I will be on the Via de la Plata. Perhaps I'll be able to buy you a glass of vino tinto in Santiago?!
Graham
Thanks for the message Graham nice to hear from you ..
I have everything I need taking my 45l Pro action black backpack with red stripes and the welsh flag stuck on at the back next to the shell which I had on the ingles so even Carol cannot miss it oh and my aussie hat as well ..if she plans to walk 25km a day which is approx 16 miles a day , I be in Granon overnight on Sunday 3rd April if all goes to plan but as you know one never knows what the camino holds ..
Depending when your due in Santiago your welcomed to buy me a vinto and likewise I do the same for you ..
Your very welcomed to keep in touch .
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.