• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping attire

npazaky

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
I know this is a weird question but I am leaving for the Camino in a few weeks time and have my pack and its contents all laid out ready to go. It dawned on me that I haven't packed any PJs and wondered what etiquette there is in the Refugios for sleeping. Is a t-shirt and underwear OK? Do I need to account for PJs? What should I add to my nice and light 7kg pack to be deemed respectable at night?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino is known for it's "none shyness". T shirt and unerwear will do fine. You will be amazed at how peopel , so tired, never notice anything that you wear at night.

npazaky,

A T-shirt and underwear is fine for sleeping in an albergue. Many pilgrims sleep in some of the clean things they will be wearing to walk the next day. Anything 'decent' is ok. You will be amazed at what people wear at night. During my first camino an Italian TV crew bunked near me in the old Roncevalles albergue. They all went to shower wearing THICK terry robes. It was hard to imagine these carried in any knapsack since they would be bulky and heavy. Next morning I discovered the Italians’ secret. At a van parked nearby they stowed their night packs and picked up others for the day!

Pack light and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most sleep in their walking/hiking clothes for the next day, did not see anyone with PJ's, save the weight in pack and utilize your walking/hiking clothes for night wear. I usually wore one of my t-shirts alone with underwear or a pair of Capri yoga pants that I wore as a second pair of pants for the Camino.

In fact, I loved hiking in the yoga pants; they were lightweight, super soft and great for nighttime.

I leave in a few weeks as well for the Camino Norte and cannot wait! I bet you are as excited so I wish you Buen Camino!

Bobbie

npazaky said:
I know this is a weird question but I am leaving for the Camino in a few weeks time and have my pack and its contents all laid out ready to go. It dawned on me that I haven't packed any PJs and wondered what etiquette there is in the Refugios for sleeping. Is a t-shirt and underwear OK? Do I need to account for PJs? What should I add to my nice and light 7kg pack to be deemed respectable at night?

I hated sleeping in the clothes I'd wear the next day. I took a light singlet type top and slept in that and underpants but kept my shorts at hand to put on before I got up out of bed (no one needs to see that much of me!!). Worked a treat, until I accidentally left the singlet behind in one place :(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was wondering the same thing. I'm planning to carry a pair of very light sweatshorts and a cotton t-shirt for modesty's sake in the evenings.

Dave

I hate sleeping in day clothes too. Part of getting a decent night's sleep for me involves the ritual of getting into nightclothes. So I take something specifically to wear, light, cotton and opaque.

All I can share with you is my own experience. At home I am obsessed with the perfect mattress, high-count Egyptian sheets and perfect down pillows. My night clothing take up several drawers and yet on the Camino I learned that for every luxury you want you must carry it with you over many mile/km.

I slept every night without a pillow made out of my jacket rolled into a ball, slept in a t-shift from my walking (2) out-fits... never slept better and cared less about what I wore to bed... only that I had a bed to sleep in.. :)

Buen Camino!
Bobbie

Kanga said:
I hate sleeping in day clothes too. Part of getting a decent night's sleep for me involves the ritual of getting into nightclothes. So I take something specifically to wear, light, cotton and opaque.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too hate sleeping in day clothes.
It made me surprised to read that "Most people sleep in their walking/hiking clothes" because I can't recall seeing anyone do that. If you wear ordinary hiking clothes such as trousers with lots of pockets and a proper shirt etc it won't be very comfortable to sleep in either.
I'm taking special nightclothes of silk (119 grams) and thank God I'm fit enough to carry that extra weight. :wink:

Just got back and noted that most people used their next days clothes. Makes sense

I have a thin silk nightshirt from Winter Silks that I am considering taking. It is my go-to for travel PJs because it takes up almost no space and dries in about an hour after being handwashed. I think it will work well on the Camino too for those reasons - and after walking all day, something silky to sleep in seems like it will be a welcome luxury. My camino is months away, so I haven't worked out all my gear yet - the nightshirt may or may not make the cut ultimately. I may end up being a t-shirt and undies sleeper like everybody else.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I slept in walking clothes but I quickly learned not to sleep in my intended walking shorts. I didn't wash my shorts every day and I tend to use my pockets for more than just my handy water bottle. Sleeping in those same pants meant removing anything from the pockets, finding a place for those things and then putting it all back in in the morning. Instead, I added to the pockets whatever I wanted to have at my fingertips so I didn't have to search for it in the morning, plus anything I wanted to keep safe and I put the shorts under my pillow. Don't bring something that you are not likely to wear to meet some other need.

A set of silk long underwear (top and bottom) is soft and comfy, weighs under 150 grams, and doubles as a warm underlayer in case of cold weather. That's what I usually bring when traveling. Since I'll be walking in march, I might bring my set of merino wool long underwear instead. Much warmer than silk, but also much heavier. I have a lot of time to decide!

We both , male and female wore our base layer clean and warm for next day. Once you start your walk you will understand why. We dumped our night clothes.
Sure, take them but you will soon decide on warm clothes in the morning. Clean clothes not the stinky ones from the day

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I normally sleep wearing boxer shorts and a t shirt and change into my day hiking clothes first thing in the morning.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.