• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag? and looking for Kiwi couple

Gailerart

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2020)
Hi fellow Pilgrims

I will be hiking the San Salvador, crossing to Aviles and completing the Norte and Finisterre in May. I plan to leave Leon either April 25 or 26 and want to know whether to carry a sleeping bag. I only used a liner on the Primitivo in May this year, but plan to stay in as many Municipal albergues as possible, starting in Leon. Stayed in a mixture of private albergues and hotels on the Primitivo and of course they had blankets. I don't really want to carry one if not necessary, as I travel very light,so advice would be a blessing.
Also on the odd chance the New Zealand couple we met on the Primitivo subscribe to the forum,I would love to hear from you. We met at the Albergue O Candido and you showed my sister in law how to tape her knee. I know it's a longshot but stranger things have happened. (Just after we showed up very late at Ivar's office to find it closed, he arrived to deliver some newly printed guide books and we were able to retrieve our travel bag and catch our bus on time, Saved us a lost day on our journey), The Camino provides!
Cheers Ken

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can't help with the Kiwis, but I think you should take a sleeping bag. Some albergues have blankets, some don't and some can be quite cold. It doesn't have to be a high tech -10 wilderness survival bag, anything cheap and light will do. I use a very cheap and lightweight bag from ALDI and it has worked fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The lightest option i personally deem viable as a camino sleeping bag is the Cumulus Magc Zip at 240g. There are lighter options, but they do not feature a full size zipper and since temperature can be quite different from place to place a full size zipper is something i find absolutely necessary.
However the bag is quite expensive, quite narrow and quite delicate (down).

A wider/more comfortable option i find interesting is the Sea2Summit Traveller at around 420g. A fair bit wider, but also down and thus also quite delicate and also not cheap.

For something more cheap and robust, depending where you are, synthetic fiber lightweight bags are sold at Amazon and discounters (usually a few times each year) and also get the job done. But at the cost of more weight. They usually are in the range between 600-700g.

Hi fellow Pilgrims

I will be hiking the San Salvador, crossing to Aviles and completing the Norte and Finisterre in May. I plan to leave Leon either April 25 or 26 and want to know whether to carry a sleeping bag. I only used a liner on the Primitivo in May this year, but plan to stay in as many Municipal albergues as possible, starting in Leon. Stayed in a mixture of private albergues and hotels on the Primitivo and of course they had blankets. I don't really want to carry one if not necessary, as I travel very light,so advice would be a blessing.
Also on the odd chance the New Zealand couple we met on the Primitivo subscribe to the forum,I would love to hear from you. We met at the Albergue O Candido and you showed my sister in law how to tape her knee. I know it's a longshot but stranger things have happened. (Just after we showed up very late at Ivar's office to find it closed, he arrived to deliver some newly printed guide books and we were able to retrieve our travel bag and catch our bus on time, Saved us a lost day on our journey), The Camino provides!
Cheers Ken
Walked in May last year, carried a 500g Rab down bag. Used it for about 50% of nights when it was cool. Rest of the time used a silk liner.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carried and used the Sea to Summit Traveler, a good lightweight down sleeping bag. If weight is an issue consider a summer weight down quilt.

Partner and I each took a high quality light-weight compact sleeping bag with us. Because of space, the growing desire to travel as lightly as we could, and the fact that nearly every Algergue, hotel and hostel provided a blanket we packaged them up and sent them home very shortly into our pilgrimage. My partner also had a high quality silk sleeping sheet bag. That was enough for her. IMO ditch the sleeping bag and opt for a quality sleeping sheet. In a worse-case scenario you sleep in your clothes. For what it's worth...

I used a silk sleeping bag liner on the Camino Frances in October. One hostel had blankets. I think that most of them do, so as long as you have your own liner bag to sleep in I agree with the post above. I think you’ll be fine and glad to not have the additional weight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks everybody
Being a through hiker I have a few sleeping bags. Just need to Know whether to take one on the San Salvador and Norte in late April and May.
Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back