• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag/blanket

SeattleWoman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in June 2018
I’ll be doing the CF 5/20/18-6/30/18. Do I need to bring a blanket or sleeping bag? Or will the albergues provide this? Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ll be doing the CF 5/20/18-6/30/18. Do I need to bring a blanket or sleeping bag? Or will the albergues provide this? Thanks!
Bring your own. Some albergues don't have enough to go around plus as a rule and they have only one blanket per bed. Some blankets may not be washed for extended periods. The coldest I've experienced is about 10 degress Celsius, and that was in April of this year on the Del Norte. Sweet dreams.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My friend and I will also be doing the CF at that time. I was hoping to just take a silk liner. Is that not enough?

I walked the CF in Aug/Sept last year and was still cold in some of the alburgues in a sleep sheet and my warm clothes! As we walked through September, there were times when I was very cold so I bought a cheap sleeping bag from Decathlon. This year we are doing it in Mar/Apr and I'm definitely bringing the sleeping bag. A warm, good night's rest helps my walk the next day. I'm a cold sleeper though!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola!
On my second Camino in May I ditched my sleep sack for a lighter option-a great liner called The Friendly Swede. With an occasional "manta" from the albergue, I got by just fine. On chillier, damper nights I wore my fleece jacket. Planning to walk the Norte in September and not planning on taking a sleeping bag/sack. Everyone has a different temp tolerance, so plan accordingly, as mentioned, the mantas are not always a guaranteed option. Buen Camino
ultreia!

I, too, debated bringing a sleeping bag, and I'm glad I did. I brought a light sleeping bag that folded up to the size of a football and took up very little room in my pack. If I didn't need it, it doubled as a neck or foot rest.

My vote is find the smallest one you can and bring it.

We just finished our Camino and bought 3 cheap lightweight sleeping bags from Kmart (A$10 each) and a liner each. It was quite often too hot for a sleeping bag, and at the end we donated them to a charity shop in Porto. That way we avoided bringing any "hitch hikers" home to Australia. Definitely worked for us.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is what I've used to walk the Le Puy, Del Norte, Primitivo and a bit of the Frances: https://katabaticgear.com/shop/flex-30-sleeping-bag-2/
It is a comforter hybrid sleeping system. I also use a short Neo Air mattress (8 oz.) If you want to go slightly lighter get the Katabatic Flex 40. I've been walking for over 45 years and was at one time an Outward Bound leader. This is my sleep kit and it is very good, versatile and lightweight. In a worst case scenario, you can sleep on the floor if need be; and I've had to do that more than a few times.

I use a silk liner and and a small 7 ounce down blanket. Together the weight is just 12 ounces. The blanket is about half the size of the Costco blanket, so you can cut one of those down to save weight. The blanket goes inside my liner.

Last edited:
Spending the night cold will wreck you for a few days. I spent many nights cold while trekking from Mexico to Nicaragua; not something to reminisce about. I also got cold canyon climbing in Utah, not to mention the hundres of cold night camping out in the US and in Canada my home country. There is nothing worse than having a bear, coyote, wolf, racoon, or squirrel sniffing or scratching about with your nose dripping. I've over 2016 and 2017 trekked Le Puy, Del Norte, Primitivo and part of the Frances. With 850 dry down it is easy to get a lightweight, warm, comforter type of sleeping system. An ultra lite short air mattress will keep you off those cold surfaces to include the cold blue rubber coated mattresses that are the norm in albergues and gites. Many of the Compostelle or Camino trails cross high altitude areas where you might not have much choice where you will spend the night. If you aren't ready for that, you will suffer. Some of the albergues and gites are not heated. After spending a couple of miserably cold nights you will probably spend twice the value of a high quality sleeping kit on a hotel. Skip the hotel bit and get a guaranteed good night sleep. And that's my last off on the subject.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.