Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Sleeping bag? LePuy- Moissac in May

howlingmouse

Hello,
Could anyone tell me if its worthwhile taking a summer sleeping bag (~700g synthetic) on this section? Would it be too cold for a lightweight bag to be much use anyways...or are the gites warm inside?
Any feedback on the cleanliness of blankets on this section of the walk?
We'll be taking a sleeping bag liner.

Many thanks!

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Hi howlingmouse!
The gites I stayed in were all well heated if it was cold, and the blankets in France are mostly very clean. I am always a bit 'nervous' about having no sleeping bag, but in fact, you could well get by with just a liner. The weather in May could still be quiet variable, but you might have some quite warm days by then, interspersed with some wet ones.
Margaret

jl

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Helo howlingmouse,

Although what Margaret says is no doubt quite true, I know that I wouldn't go on this leg of the Le Puy route without a summer weight sleeping bag. My sleeping bag only weighs 500 grams, and even though each of my Caminos have been in mid summer I still always take one. There were a couple of nights where I was glad of it even though it was August!. Remember that the first couple of weeks are at reasonably high altitudes which has a tempering effect on the temperature!

Cheers, Janet

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
jl said:
Helo howlingmouse,
Although what Margaret says is no doubt quite true, I know that I wouldn't go on this leg of the Le Puy route without a summer weight sleeping bag.
Cheers, Janet

I would always take a sleeping bag too Janet :wink: In my "general" travelling days I know I have experienced a few bitterly cold nights in some unheated hostels - one night in Turkey in March springs to mind especially well. So leaving a sleeping bag at home is never one of my options!! But having said that, I think I mostly used my sleeping sheet with the blankets provided in the gites in France.
Margaret

howlingmouse

Hello again,
Thanks very much for your help Margaret and Janet. As we want to keep our weight down to save our joints/feet etc we might walk without one.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads