• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag vs. liners starting Sep 9th

Margot Berry

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
Hi everyone! We start on Sep 9th (two days from now) in SJPP and we were wondering if we could get away with just bringing a sleeping bag liner as opposed to the bulky sleeping bag or is it too cold already?
Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As always, my answer is yesno. I definitely do not need a sleeping bag in September, a silk liner is enough for me. My wife would say the exact opposite. She would definitely need a sleeping bag in most albergues in September. It all depends on how well you tolerate cold when sleeping.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone! We start on Sep 9th (two days from now) in SJPP and we were wondering if we could get away with just bringing a sleeping bag liner as opposed to the bulky sleeping bag or is it too cold already?
Thanks
If you get cold easily - bring a sleeping bag. I am also a wuss in cold weather.

I vote for sleeping bag. I live in southern Spain and have just returned the duvet to my bed. It will be colder further north, especially at higher elevations.

The summer is fading away,
the meseta is 800 m over sea level,
Foncebadon is 1400 m,
O'Cebreiro is 1500 m,

It can be quite cold over night, even freezing.
I would take my sleeping bag, you know how cold you can sleep ;)

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks

Oh, Margot, it makes me shiver just thinking about this! I've walked the Camino Frances twice in September-October and I was mighty glad to have both my sleeping bag and liner, especially into October when there was frost on the ground in the morning in Galicia! People often say there are blankets at albergues, and it's true there are at most. Personally, I hesitate to use them because I don't know how often they get laundered, and whether they're bedbug-free (some places seemed to have newer, cleaner ones than others).

I feel the cold quite easily and on both of my June-July Camino Frances walks (the most recent of which was this year), I've also had both. And while there were several heatwave nights when it was too hot to sleep inside anything, there were also several nights when I was glad to have both layers! Especially at the end of the Camino in Fisterra. :)

And yes, as Jacques-D wrote, there are high places on the Way, and they can be cold when summer is over. They can be cold even during summer, like the mid-July night in Rabanal in 2012 when it was so freezing cold, the hospitalera made a big fire in the fireplace and we pilgrims crowded around it, thankful for the warmth!

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino! :D

Rachel

Hi,
I started on the first. Their has been a huge surge in pilgrims and accommodation is very difficult. I have had to sleep on the floor twice. I would recommend that you bring a light weight bag as blankets are not always available. However I just have a sheet liner and have been ok, but I am a Brit and more used to cold climates and rooms. Enjoy your Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.