• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags or liners.

gkba03

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I am walking from middle of August to October. I may stay at Albergues or hotels depending on what's available. Currently, I have a silk liner as recommended by some of you for bed bug prevention. I am also bringing at down jacket. Is that enough to keep me warm during the time that I will be walking? I am thinking more on sleeping conditions at the Albergues. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Given the number of pilgrims staying in albergues each night, the number of people encountering bed bugs is relatively small. Small enough that I wouldn't spend much time worrying about that.

I suggest bringing a lightweight sleeping bag, without the liner.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am walking from middle of August to October. I may stay at Albergues or hotels depending on what's available. Currently, I have a silk liner as recommended by some of you for bed bug prevention. I am also bringing at down jacket. Is that enough to keep me warm during the time that I will be walking? I am thinking more on sleeping conditions at the Albergues. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I think that your proposal is perfect.

I am travelling at the moment with just a silk sleep sheet and I have only once needed to put my long pants on to keep warm. Obviously it can get cooler when you are going but I am quite surprised how warm the silk keeps me, especially when I pull it up around my nose.

I have a silk liner as recommended by some of you for bed bug prevention.

The liner will do b*gger all for the bed bugs though. They can still get in at the great big hole at the top just like you will. And silk has all the repellent properties of kittens, puppies and grandchildren
@Tincatinker if right. Silk has no magical bedbug resistant properties. Who recommended silk for that reason?
I use silk because it is incredibly lightweight, but the only time that I have had bedbug bites I was inside my silk sleep sack.

@Tincatinker if right. Silk has no magical bedbug resistant properties. Who recommended silk for that reason?
I use silk because it is incredibly lightweight, but the only time that I have had bedbug bites I was inside my silk sleep sack.
My wife read about it somewhere but she can't remember where. I apologize if this information is not from this forum.
Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bring both - even in the summer months. I always use my silk liner. I use a lightweight down sleeping bag as needed. Even in sumer months - you can have cold nights sometimes. In albergues - blankets are not always present, and those that are - aren't washed frequently.

In June/July 2021 it was unseasonably cold - I wore ALL my layers and was still cold during the morning/evening hours. I had my silk liner, but had sent my sleeping bag home in Pamplona because it had been so warm - what a huge mistake that was. It was cold every night for weeks and all my layers plus my towel were not enough.

In late May/June 2022 I didn't need them nearly as much - but was glad I had them both when I did need them.

But of course - take into account whether you are a warm or cold sleeper - I am a cold sleeper - but in 2021 - everyone used their sleeping bag if they had one and those who didn't were very cold - including warm sleeper men.

Bring the silk liner for flies/mosquitos for when you aren’t using your whole sleeping bag. It doesn’t weigh anything and it works great as a barrier/net.

I have mainly walked in spring and a little in early summer. I have always carried a liner and sleeping bag. I have always used both in albergues, sometimes opening the bag up as a quilt. I normally wear boxer shorts and one of my tee-shirts - I only recall one night that was cold enough that more was needed, at the parroquial albergue in Granon.

It's good to know your temperature tolerance. I might be a little more resilient than many, but don't stand getting chilled very well, and carry a +5 deg C bag. Many people here seem to have lighter bags, or walk without a bag in the warmer months.

And the advice from @Tincatinker and @trecile about silk repelling bed bugs is spot on. I treat my liner with permethrin, which will deter bed bugs from going on to find a blood meal, but that relies on there being sufficient contact with the treated material as they make there way through the same opening you do to feed on you.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the CF from August 11 to Sept 8 (or so, I remember it was 26 days). I only had a silk liner and never needed more, not even a shirt. I biked the CF in Sept and did take a lightweight bag and used it, except when in a hotel, every night. So for your plan I would agree that a lightweight bag would be best.

This year I will be a hosptialero in Grañón for the 2nd quincena of August and am actually debating the same question. Will probably opt for a lightweight bag so I can have confidence if I decide to stay and walk for a week or two afterward.

Early Summer walk (1st May start) I had a silk liner and a 500g sleeping bag. I think that I used the bag once as a full sleeping bag. Most nights it was unzipped and a “throw” I could pull over me if it got a bit cool. Shorts and a t-shirt every night from SJPD to SdC.

Same for me, the worst bed bug encounter I had was when I was inside my silk liner. Silk definitely does NOT repel bedbugs. This is a myth that continues to circulate year after year.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked this year, May 18 to June 25. After much thought, as I had bought a brand new silk liner and a light weight sleeping bag, decided to leave the sleeping bag. It was a tough choice as I hate cold. But I never needed the sleeping bag or did I sleep in my cloths that I walked in the next day to keep warm. Just wore a T-shirt and soft pair of shorts (that's all I used these shorts for was sleeping in). I was never cold and still a little bit hot some nights where I just slept on top of my liner. Also left my brand new down jacket at home along with my rain pants. I bought more than I needed then cut a few things from my list the night before I left. Just took a rain jacket which kept my warm enough on the couple of morning I needed it. Also did not spray any of my gear and did not get bed bugs.

I walked the Camino Catalan and the last half of the Camino Aragonese (Barcelona - Pamplona) in mid-October to mid-November. I had a nylon sleep sack, lightweight sleeping bag and a down sweater with me. I could have done away with the sleeping bag though I didn't mind having it.

If your down jacket doesn't have a hood and you have another detachable hood around take it. It provides a lot of warmth for little weight, certainly less than a sleeping bag.

I walked this year, May 18 to June 25. After much thought, as I had bought a brand new silk liner and a light weight sleeping bag, decided to leave the sleeping bag. It was a tough choice as I hate cold. But I never needed the sleeping bag or did I sleep in my cloths that I walked in the next day to keep warm.
DwainS - Not taking your light weight sleeping bag was a smart thing to do since you walked May 18 - June 25. I will be doing my first Camino in mid-April to the 3rd week of May 2024. I’ll be doing the CF route. My light weight sleeping bag is bulky and weighs 1.5 lbs. I have a silk liner that I’ll take with me. If I can tolerate cold nights I’d leave my sleeping bag too. Congrats in completing your Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
DwainS - Not taking your light weight sleeping bag was a smart thing to do since you walked May 18 - June 25. I will be doing my first Camino in mid-April to the 3rd week of May 2024. I’ll be doing the CF route. My light weight sleeping bag is bulky and weighs 1.5 lbs. I have a silk liner that I’ll take with me. If I can tolerate cold nights I’d leave my sleeping bag too. Congrats in completing your Camino!
Even though I didn't take my lightweight sleeping bag, down jacket and rain pants its nice to have them in case I walk again in a different time of year.

We are going to pack a down blanket this time. They are smaller, and lighter to carry. We'll bring silk liners. We will soak them in permethrin before coming. Thats the only remedy for bed bugs.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.